Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

John Kerry supports Ed Markey for Senate

December 28, 2012

Don’t call it an endorsement, but Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) is backing Rep. Ed Markey (D) in the special election for his seat.

“While I began last week to formally step out of politics and it’s very important that I respect the apolitical nature of the post I hope to soon occupy, as Massachusetts’ senior senator today and as a colleague of Ed Markey’s for 28 years, I’m excited to learn of and support his decision to run for the United States Senate,” Kerry said in a statement.

Assuming he wins Senate confirmation, Kerry will take over for Secretary of State Hillary Clinton some time after the inauguration. Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick (D) will appoint an interim senator to replace him, and there will be a special election later in the year.

A Kerry aide says that the future diplomat will be voting for Markey. But his statement never uses the word “endorse.”

“Ed’s one of the most experienced and capable legislators in the entire Congress and it would be an almost unprecedented occasion for such an accomplished legislator to join the Senate able to hit the ground running on every issue of importance to Massachusetts,” Kerry wrote.

The statement from Kerry was sent out by Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee spokesman Matt Canter, a move that might send a signal to other would-be candidates.

Markey, a veteran House member and dean of the Massachusetts delegation, entered the race Thursday.

“I am humbled and honored to have his strong support in this race,” Markey said in response to Kerry’s announcement, the Boston Herald reports.

A recent poll suggests that any Democratic candidate will face a formidable foe in Sen. Scott Brown (R-Mass), who lost to Elizabeth Warren in the fall and has made no secret of his desire to return to office.

by Anonymousreply 1312/29/2012

Good. Discourage Scott Brown from even thinking of running.

by Anonymousreply 112/28/2012

Anyone but Coakley.

by Anonymousreply 212/28/2012

Kiss of death.

by Anonymousreply 312/28/2012

R1, I think Brown is nearly certain to run. He has incredible numbers in the polls right now and is the frontrunner.

He leads Markey in the first matchup poll that came out.

The Dems are handing him a potential Senate seat on a silver platter. Why wouldn't he take it?

by Anonymousreply 412/28/2012

Warren was behind in the initial polls.

by Anonymousreply 512/28/2012

She was never far behind, R5. Markey is behind by 18 points in the WBUR poll. I don't think it's likely that Markey will stay that far behind, but the question is, will he be as formidable a candidate as Warren? Does he have her fundraising machine? Only about one-third of voters have even heard of him in MA.

Incidentally, remember that Warren was running in a year in which Obama was on the ballot and in which there was high turnout for the Democrats. That's not necessarily going to be the case in an off-year.

by Anonymousreply 612/28/2012

R6 - yes, you're right.

by Anonymousreply 712/28/2012

So basically Warren's win will be all for naught. smh

by Anonymousreply 812/28/2012

R8 - Don't give give up now. Brown does not have a lock.

And even if Brown wins, he will have less seniority than Warren.

by Anonymousreply 912/28/2012

Brown has already moved his stuff into Kerry's office. The repukes know exactly what they are doing. Obama gave them exactly what they demanded.

by Anonymousreply 1012/28/2012

How many seats do Dems hold vs Repubs in the Senate right now?

by Anonymousreply 1112/28/2012

R11, the new Senate being sworn in next week will have 55 Democrats and 45 Republicans (2 of the Democrats are technically Independents).

by Anonymousreply 1212/29/2012

Brown will beat Markey but will, again, be ousted by Deval in 2014.

by Anonymousreply 1312/29/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!