Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Lindbergh baby kidnapping.

Were the parents ever suspects?

by Nancy Gracereply 6112/29/2012

Nancy would focus on Lindbergh's SIL who was jealous that her sister landed him.

by Nancy Gracereply 112/28/2012

I don't think so, OP.

by Nancy Gracereply 212/28/2012

i think it was pretty clear who did it when they found the money in his garage.

by Nancy Gracereply 312/28/2012

Nazi fucker.

by Nancy Gracereply 412/28/2012

The Lindbergh's were good, very good.

by Nancy Gracereply 512/28/2012

Both the brother in law and the sister in law were suspects, as was a maid who killed herself after several rounds of questioning.

Hauptmann almost certainly did it, although there are questions about whether he acted alone. To me, the most convincing evidence is the fact that the ladder used in the kidnapping was traced to lumber in Hauptmann's attic. The growth rings matched, and so did some nail holes.

That's not to say that evidence wasn't planted by the police, and Hauptmann's trial was a foregone conclusion. The crime scene was so poorly handled, and the investigation was so bumbling that the police almost certainly sat down and fabricated the prosecution's case from start to finish.

by Nancy Gracereply 712/28/2012

Did Lindbergh cheat on his wife?

I don't know much about him outside of the racism/Nazism.

by Nancy Gracereply 912/28/2012

[quote]Did Lindbergh cheat on his wife?

One contemporary comment was about how there never seemed to be a couple in bed so much as them.

Just constant bang bang bang.

by Nancy Gracereply 1012/28/2012

Since the baby's grandfather was probably the most vocal exposer of the Wall Street criminal cartel known as the Federal Reserve System, many believe it was the banking cartel that murdered the baby.

by Nancy Gracereply 1112/28/2012

Well, I just googled, R10. Seems he still found time to "bang bang bang" other women and fathered kids with several of them. Boy, he really loved them Germans:

by Nancy Gracereply 1212/28/2012

Did Lindbergh cheat on his wife? R9, you don't read much do you? Much like H.L.Hunt, Lindbergh had two additional secret families in the later years of his life. His daughter, from the original family with Anne Morrow, has written a book about it. Apparently he felt that he was of such superior genetics that he should procreate as much as possible. I'm sure that getting some strange pussy was a big part of the motivation also. Lindbergh made claims of virginity, and criticized the loose morals of others before he married Anne Morrow.

by Nancy Gracereply 1312/28/2012

Correction: Fathered kids with one of them.

by Nancy Gracereply 1412/28/2012

[quote]Seems he still found time to "bang bang bang" other women and fathered kids with several of them. Boy, he really loved them Germans:

Whoa! Did not know!

by Nancy Gracereply 1512/28/2012

R13, I do read, just never read much about Lindberg in particular.

I was thinking of reading "The Aviator's Wife."

by Nancy Gracereply 1612/28/2012

I always thought Lindbergh probably hit the baby and killed it, then staged the kidnapping. No one would thing Lindbergh would hit his child...he was worshipped back then.

by Nancy Gracereply 1712/28/2012

Those wanted posters for his bit with his picture was somewhat haunting.

by Nancy Gracereply 1812/28/2012

Do you think the babysitter committed suicide because she felt guilty that the child died, because she was involved in the kidnapping, or because she couldn't psychologically handle the personal questions of the interviewer?

by Nancy Gracereply 2012/28/2012

Lots of wrong info here. First of all, R7, just exactly who are you referring to when you say "Both the brother in law and the sister in law were suspects" ?

All kinds of wild latter-day theories have cropped up: one was that Anne Lindbergh's older sister elisabeth was behind it, and another theory was that her brother Dwight did it. Both were patently absurd, but whatever.

The "babysitter" who committed suicide was actually a housemaid named Violet Sharpe. There was some speculation that she was involved, along with the Lindbergh's chauffeur, but most agree that the police hounded the poor woman to death trying to extract a "confession".

Charles Lindbergh actually fathered SEVEN other children, with THREE different women, in both Germany and Switzerland. Too much to go into here, but check the links, this is a fascinatingly weird story.

by Nancy Gracereply 2112/28/2012

Anotherh link:

by Nancy Gracereply 2212/28/2012

One more link: Reeve Lindbergh's take on her father's secret families. She sounds like a hoot.

"Thinking back on the behavior of her much-absent, infuriating, perfectionist father, she writes: “Gosh, no wonder he was such a pain in the ass!” "

by Nancy Gracereply 2312/28/2012

I'm sure most of you Dler's know, Agatha Christie based Murder on the Orient Express to come degree on the Lindbergh case.

by Nancy Gracereply 2512/28/2012

Are you kidding? I don't see how but I didn't read your link, so...

by Nancy Gracereply 2612/28/2012

Usually the simplest explanation is the likeliest one. The scenario of the dumbass kidnappers accidentally dropping the kid and then stupidly deciding to try to collect the ransom anyway is more plausible than Lindbergh or his wife murdering the child, given that since they had a nanny they probably barely saw the kid let alone were alone with it long enough to lose their tempers and beat it to death.

by Nancy Gracereply 2712/28/2012

R27, there was a case a few years ago where a baby's relative (uncle I think) was visiting and the baby peed on him and he threw it in disgust. The baby didn't die but got brain damage.

by Nancy Gracereply 2912/28/2012

Lindbergh apparently now IS a suspect. The baby was born with congenital defects which the Nazi Lindbergh could only deal with through "mercy" killing.

Google it, folks.

by Nancy Gracereply 3012/28/2012

The story I heard was Lindbergh really was a jerk. He liked to play practical jokes. One of the theories is that he placed the ladder up against the house himself, took the baby out the window to scare his wife, and then accidentally dropped him on the way down. He then tossed the baby in the woods and formulated his alibi.

by Nancy Gracereply 3112/28/2012

One of the lead investigators was Norman Schwarkopf, Sr - father of the recently deceased general.....

by Nancy Gracereply 3212/28/2012

[quote]Not much to go on. Typical racists want to believe the immigrant did it though. If he had been a Muslim, all you would be like, "Oh no he's innocent." But since he was Christian and white, he must be guilty.

How does one have the audacity to accuse others of racism, then go onto show your own bigotry?

Get help, crazy person.

by Nancy Gracereply 3312/28/2012

R28, Since the link doesn't work can you summarize the finding? R25, How does the Orient Express story, where all parties were involved, relate?

by Nancy Gracereply 3412/28/2012

Orient Express involved members of a household where a baby was kidnapped and murdered. The whole sad affair was a sensational "crime of the century" thing.

by Nancy Gracereply 3512/28/2012

R32, Norman Schwarkopf, Sr was kind of a pompous ass.

For all his flaws - and he sure had them - Lindbergh performed very heroic and invaluable missions in the Pacific for the US Army Air Forces - all behind Roosevelt's back since FDR refused to recommission Lindbergh back into the services after the war started. He resigned his commission when he became politically involved in the isolationist lobby to keep the US out of the war. Once we declared war I don't think there was any doubt where his loyalties were.

Not sure about whether you can call it an open marriage but Anne had lovers of her own also and thought about divorce regularly. I do think they were a real and devoted couple in the begining of the marriage. But hey things change, they evolve. LOL!

by Nancy Gracereply 3612/28/2012

I remember over 20 years ago when some book came out alleging that Anne's sister Elisabeth was guilty. For elementary school I attended the Elisabeth Morrow School in Englewood, NJ (its campus was the old Dwight Morrow estate), whose headmistress was Constance Chilton, a classmate of Elisabeth's at Smith College. Elisabeth and Chilton cofounded the school shortly before Elisabeth's early death. It was well-rumored in the school's community that Elisabeth and Chilton were romantically involved. Based on these rumors, I was surprised that Elisabeth was believed to be interested in Lindbergh.

by Nancy Gracereply 3812/28/2012

Charles and Anne were both facsists.

by Nancy Gracereply 3912/28/2012

Lindbergh did it.

by Nancy Gracereply 4012/28/2012

Eugenics...

Sad deluded Kraut.

by Nancy Gracereply 4112/28/2012

A few years ago a man who lived in the Bronx said his father killed Baby Lindbergh, but Hauptmann took the rap.

by Nancy Gracereply 4212/28/2012

"It was well-rumored in the school's community that Elisabeth and Chilton were romantically involved. Based on these rumors, I was surprised that Elisabeth was believed to be interested in Lindbergh."

Great gossip, R38.

Elisabeth was the family beauty, it was probably natural to assume she was interested in Lindbergh, and he in her. But she had a congenital heart defect, so would not have been a suitable mate in Lindbergh's estimation.

Her brother, Dwight Morrow Jr., was mentally ill (I believe he was disagosed with schizophrenia and underwent electroshock therapy) - so it is surprising that Lindbergh, who believed strongly in eugenics, would choose Anne given that 2 of her 3 siblings had mental or physical illnesses.

by Nancy Gracereply 4312/29/2012

I always thought Ingrid Bergman did it.

by Nancy Gracereply 4412/29/2012

I'm not clear. Is R37 saying he [italic]doesn't[/italic] like Lindbergh?

by Nancy Gracereply 4512/29/2012

Ummm..Lindbergh was an anti-social, racist, gold-digging hick who tried to suction-cup himself to all of Morrow's daughters.

By the way, if you read Anne's diaries at the time*, even she was bothered by the trial and the narrative of Hauptmann. Repeatedly, in her diary, she asked, "Why didn't the dogs bark?" That is to say, if there's a strange German immigrant climbing up a ladder to break into a second-story window and kidnap the kid, why didn't any of their dogs warn them?

Much was made out of this in a book on the kidnapping--and I can't remember the title now!--that hypothesized that Charles Lindbergh had dropped the kid accidentally.

*I think it's the one called Time of Tears, etc.

by Nancy Gracereply 4612/29/2012

Were there any Vandersloots in New Jersey?

by Nancy Gracereply 4712/29/2012

[quote]The baby died from being dropped when Hauptmann s buddy tried to climb down the homemaid ladder.

Did that really happen? How awful.

by Nancy Gracereply 4812/29/2012

Well, at least we know Madge had nothing to do with it. She was on tour at the time.

by Nancy Gracereply 4912/29/2012

Dick

by Nancy Gracereply 5012/29/2012

[quote]The baby died from being dropped when Hauptmann s buddy tried to climb down the homemaid ladder.

How many maids does it take to make a ladder?

by Nancy Gracereply 5112/29/2012

[quote]But she had a congenital heart defect, so would not have been a suitable mate in Lindbergh's estimation.

Wow, he really was a complete cunt.

by Nancy Gracereply 5212/29/2012

[quote] climb down the homemaid ladder.

Oh, dear.

by Nancy Gracereply 5312/29/2012

[quote]Lots of wrong info here. First of all, [R7], just exactly who are you referring to when you say "Both the brother in law and the sister in law were suspects" ?

Why don't you lighten the fuck up, and back off a notch?

I was giving a quick summary for someone who obviously was starting from scratch. I had no idea my humble thumbnail would soon be vetted by the leading authority on the Lindbergh kidnapping.

by Nancy Gracereply 5412/29/2012

u

by Nancy Gracereply 5512/29/2012

Unclench, R7. Impotent fury does not become you.

by Nancy Gracereply 5612/29/2012

When did they start calling out Lindbergh for who he was; a Nazi sympathizer. I recently read a book (apparently the leading tome) on the Lindbergh kidnapping, and there wasn't a single word on any of it.

I'm an eldergay, and all I remember hearing about Lindy was that he was an aviation hero, and then of course all about the tragedy of his kidnapped and murdered child. But clearly *something* had to be known about his alliances by say, 1970.

Why would the MSM hide the fact that Lindy was a wannabe Nazi? Are these the ancestors of the same folks who pronounced a Romney landslide?

by Nancy Gracereply 5712/29/2012

DL, What do you think of this very interesting article discussing the case and subsequent trial?

by Nancy Gracereply 5812/29/2012

Lindbergh was known at the time as a Nazi sympathizer--didn't the guy fly to Germany to accept a medal from Hitler? He also liked to flap his wings in newspaper op-ed pieces, give speeches at public rallies, etc.

But the mainstream media lionized him as a hero; he was protected by his wife's elan and cashola; and he hid in rural England after the Hauptmann trial.

by Nancy Gracereply 5912/29/2012

Instead of calling Lindbergh a big ol' Nazi, the mainstream media softened it to "America First."

Newsreel editors were careful to cut scenes of the crowd responding with Nazi salutes at L's speeches.

by Nancy Gracereply 6012/29/2012

So it's back to selling papers, I guess.

Whatever gets you the safest buck.

Disgusting.

by Nancy Gracereply 6112/29/2012
Need more help? Click Here.