Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Should I take Intro Philosophy or Psychology of Women this semester? I don't want to take either but I have to take one of them.

Philosophy seems like it might be more difficult but more fun than Psychology of Women. I'm also hoping that there will be slightly less large papers to write in Philosophy than there would be in Psychology. I guess I just need some advice. TIA

by Anonymousreply 1712/28/2012

Psychology of Women? Really?

Take Philosophy.

by Anonymousreply 112/28/2012

Its a real class R1 it sounds interestng as well but the papers are probably going to be killer. Below is the course description. Why do you suggest philosophy over the pschology anyway?

An introduction to the issues and research in the psychology of women. Topics include biological and social factors, gender roles, sex differences and similarities, mental health, pregnancy, menstruation, menopause, work, women of color, love relationships, and sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 212/28/2012

Philosophy, unless you're going for a "certificate in women's studies" addition to your degree or something. My university offers that option. You take four courses that have an emphasis on women and women's history/issues and you write a paper at the end of your tenure there and they give you an additional thing to add to your CV.

by Anonymousreply 312/28/2012

gayling thread

*crickets*

by Anonymousreply 412/28/2012

Psychology of Women

by Anonymousreply 512/28/2012

I think it's hilarious that OP thinks there will be shorter or fewer papers to write in a philosophy class. Writing long papers is pretty much what Intro to Philosophy is composed of entirely.

by Anonymousreply 612/28/2012

Philosophy, and yes there will be papers.

by Anonymousreply 712/28/2012

Philosophy will teach you to think critically. This will help you in everything else you do in your life.

by Anonymousreply 812/28/2012

[quote]An introduction to the issues and research in the psychology of women. Topics include biological and social factors, gender roles, sex differences and similarities, mental health, pregnancy, menstruation, menopause, work, women of color, love relationships, and sexuality.

Except for pregnancy and menstruation, men have all of these issues, and a few women don't have.

by Anonymousreply 1012/28/2012

Psychology of Women sounds like PC garbage. Almost anything in that course you can, and likely will, learn elsewhere through reading, discussions with others, and a general sensitivity to women as the cultural and legal equals to men in contemporary society.

Philosophy will actually teach you something. You'll encounter important thoughts and writers you'd be unlikely to pick up outside of a university setting. You'll learn the best of what's been thought and said in the history of humankind. No contest in my book.

by Anonymousreply 1112/28/2012

take intro philosophy....you'll be exposed to the great thinkers of our time....The psychology of women stuff you can pick up later on Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 1212/28/2012

Take Psychology of Women and ask the prof if you can use posting on Datalounge for credit.

by Anonymousreply 1312/28/2012

Someone is getting paid to teach "Psychology of Women"?

by Anonymousreply 1412/28/2012

Do they offer "History of Michfest" or "A Chronology of Canes and Boundary Issues"?

by Anonymousreply 1512/28/2012

Take Intro Philosophy first. It's always better to read the text prior to deconstructing it (i.e., don't put the cart before the horse).

by Anonymousreply 1612/28/2012

Take Psychology, since it'll be somewhat scientific. I think the Philosophy will be a pity party, patriarchy and feminism theory.

by Anonymousreply 1712/28/2012
Need more help? Click Here.