Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Things that are wrong with 30 Rock

All of the characters are one-dimensional sketch types.

It's impossible to believe that Liz and Jenna could be friends, much less longtime comedy partners.

Tracy Jordan isn't funny.

by Anonymousreply 2712/29/2012

I believe that's rather the point, OP: a show about a sketch show where the performers are shallow and one-dimensional. Tracy Jordan isn't supposed to be funny; he thinks he's funny because the trash-eating lowly American public think he's funny. He wants his ego continuously fed. He's a satirical version of Jim Carrey or Will Farrell, neither of whom are truly funny.

by Anonymousreply 112/28/2012

Remember that this Jenna is a recast. The original Jenna was that ugly chick from SNL. NBC demanded that she be replaced. I think that would have made more sense in regards to the relationship with Liz Lemon.

by Anonymousreply 212/28/2012

Are you 12 years old?

by Anonymousreply 312/28/2012

[quote]All of the characters are one-dimensional sketch types.

Jenna's narcissism, her childhood whose tortures and horrors she refuses to acknowledge out of loyalty for a mother whose manipulation she has to pretend was and still is love, her romance with Paul and the ways it has celebrated her narcissism while also challenging it --

Jack and his tortured need to strive and prove himself, his ability to turn any setback into a greater test requiring greater efforts, his disdain for weakness coming from a contempt for any weakness in himself, his complete devotion yet utter exasperation with a mother whose approval he desperately so needed, yet only wound up receiving in well-concealed drips and drabs, and the central friendship of his life being a platonic one with a female colleague so different than him, yet so kindred --

Take your claptrap elsewhere, OP. 30 Rock may be many things, but it is not one dimensional in the portrayal of its characters.

by Anonymousreply 412/28/2012

The main thing wrong with "30 Rock" is that it should've ended two or three seasons ago when it hadn't yet started to suck.

by Anonymousreply 512/28/2012

R4 = Tina Fey. On meth.

by Anonymousreply 612/28/2012

r5: Amen

by Anonymousreply 712/28/2012

OP, yes, the ironic machine of 30 Rock is based on two-dimensional characters. (You seem to lack the interest or insight to notice that each character is a "She's an X but she also is a Y" construction.) The humor and plotting is usually driven by the characters' two/contrasting traits bouncing off other characters' two traits, leading to a happy ending.

So? Sitcoms are sitcoms, whether ironic/hip, sappy/sensible, faux-realiistic/arch, or whatever. Being based on "realistic" characters (which I assume is what you think multi-dimensional characters are) has never proven a firm basis for successful series. And if you're harking back to either the "Roseanne" or Norman Lear eras, I suggest you recall the plots and actual characteristics of the characters before you continue.

by Anonymousreply 812/28/2012

R4 is right, though R5 has a good point, too.

by Anonymousreply 912/28/2012

It is not funny. None of the characters are likeable. I wouldn't spend five minutes with any of them. Baldwin is funny on SNL, and those Capital One commercials, but a weekly dose of him is just too much. Ditto Tina Fey. The Page is a gay version of Gomer Pyle. Gomer Pyle was funny. The Page, not so much. The Jenna character was done to a turn, and was a lot more entertaining, on Ally McBeal. There is nothing remotely original about this show. Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 1012/28/2012

It is pointless to try and define what is funny. It's subjective. If you like the show, then watch it, but please don't talk us to death, r8.

by Anonymousreply 1112/28/2012

What's wrong with it? How about the fact they cast Tracy Morgan to begin with, not a thing funny about him, dumb, dumb, dumb.

by Anonymousreply 1212/28/2012

I love this show, including Tracy.

by Anonymousreply 1312/28/2012

[quote]None of the characters are likeable

This is a problem I have with a lot of objectively great shows. I stopped watching the Sopranos, The Wire and Boardwalk Empire because I couldn't find any redeeming characters to root for. It's all so dreary and depressing.

by Anonymousreply 1412/28/2012

Duh OP! What a lost opportunity. Where were you seven years ago? Imagine how successful it could have been with your infinite wisdom. Tina Fey is weeping right now over her financial portfolio.

by Anonymousreply 1512/28/2012

Actually R15, the OP is currently writing a letter to the cast of Friends to tell them that they don't deserve a million dollars an episode each since the whole show is drivel. That'll teach them!

by Anonymousreply 1612/28/2012

EVERYTHING. The show sucks.

by Anonymousreply 1812/28/2012

R14 is a frau posting from her cubicle. She'll leave work after her two hour lunch because no one else can pick her kid up from school.

by Anonymousreply 1912/28/2012

It was an HILARIOUS show with complex characters. One of the funniest on television in its best moments. I shudder to think what plebian comic stylings tickle the funny bones of the scary dipshits who are trashing this show. Not "likeable?" They are ALL likeable because they are so very flawed and don't KNOW that they are flawed. They bumble and stumble around with rapier dialogue. The writing is so above par most crap on television these days. No, it's not a show for everyone but there is very little "wrong" with it.

by Anonymousreply 2012/28/2012

Two words - Kathy Geiss. How can you not find that hilarious?

by Anonymousreply 2112/28/2012

I love it. I will miss it when it goes. What am I supposed to watch "Up All Night"?

by Anonymousreply 2212/28/2012

Like SNL, it's very topical. I like that it takes shots at the horrible state of pop culture these days.

I think it's very funny, but I don't know I'll think it is in 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 2312/28/2012

Tracy Jordan isn't supposed to be funny - that's the point.

I do like Morgan on the show, though. He's a good contrast to Jenna and Liz.

by Anonymousreply 2412/28/2012

Jack McBrayer (Kenneth the page) is gay in real life, right?

by Anonymousreply 2512/28/2012

All the male writers were fucking ugly. They couldn't have gotten *one* cute guy?

by Anonymousreply 2612/28/2012

now that's funny, r26.

by Anonymousreply 2712/29/2012
Need more help? Click Here.