Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Staying home on New Year's Eve

Do you go out on New Year's Eve just because you feel that if you don't go out, you will be thought of as a loser?

by Anonymousreply 4212/28/2012

Absolutely not. Who needs it?

by Anonymousreply 112/27/2012

This will be the first year out of many that we'll actually be going out.

A good friend of ours recently id'd as transgender and so we'll haul out to Danbury, CT to go to Triangles Cafe for New Years Eve.

She's tried telling us there will be more gay people there. I could give a rats ass - been coupled up for 20 years now. And I really don't want to make any new friends either.

by Anonymousreply 212/27/2012

No, OP. I haven't felt like a "loser" for not going out on either a holiday or a weekend night since I was 19 or so. Why are you so concerned about what others think of you?

That said, I do generally go out on NYE and have a good time, and this year two married (gay) friends decided to throw a fabu party to celebrate the tenth anniversary of their first meeting. Good Champagne, hot shirtless bartenders, the works...

by Anonymousreply 312/27/2012

I can't think of a better place to be than home. As someone "older" I can assure you that New Year's Eve festivities become pretty "old hat" after about the age of 50 if not sooner. When I was younger I always wondered why my parents just went to bed on New Year's Eve without seeing the new year in, now I understand. Besides, getting drunk and then feeling sick and hung over the next day is not my idea of fun; alot of those drunks then try to drive and my just bang into you, if you're home that won't happen.

by Anonymousreply 412/27/2012

I'm staying at home this year and I'm no where close to eldergay status. I'm actually having about 30 friends over, they can stick around or drop by before their official NYE party or use it as an afterparty. Either way, I don't feel like going out out this year.

by Anonymousreply 512/27/2012

About 5 years ago we went to a big hotel party with a band and food and a suite that was all included in one price. I was never so bored in my life. It was like being stuck at a distant relatves wedding or bar mitzvah.

We've been staying home ever since.

Who wants a DUI anyway?

by Anonymousreply 612/27/2012

If you have genuine plans to go out on NYE, then by all means go and have fun. But if you force yourself to go out just to avoid being thought of as a loser, then you've failed, because that is the TRUE sign of a loser.

by Anonymousreply 712/27/2012

I go out only if I have a gathering to attend, not just going out for its own sake.

If i don't then I stay in and feel like a loser until the morning, then its back to normal.

by Anonymousreply 812/27/2012

r5, I don't envy you with all those people breezing in and out all night--your nerves are going to be frazzled aren't they? I know mine would. A couple of friends over is about all I can handle.

by Anonymousreply 912/27/2012

Imagine being the kind of person who would consider a person a loser for not going out on New Year's Eve. Now, here's the hard part--try to imagine why anybody would care what you think.

by Anonymousreply 1012/27/2012

Been there, done that, many, many times.

Can't remember ever having a great New Year's Eve, or maybe the great ones are those I can't remember.

by Anonymousreply 1112/27/2012

I always stay at home on NYE ever since I reached my mid-20s. My life doesn't revolve around what others think of me.

by Anonymousreply 1212/27/2012

I always stay home with egg rolls, lo mein, and a book.

by Anonymousreply 1312/27/2012

The worst time I ever had on NYE were years I went out, once to Times Square when I was 16. Man, never again!

I like to be home, safe and warm and alone. Another year passing is depressing enough when you're older. I don't need anyone annoying me making it worse.

by Anonymousreply 1412/27/2012

It's cold, it's expensive or you have to stay at one bar because you paid for the night charge.

Lots of people who don't drink often then drink way too much and get sick.

Around 12:30, it feels like any other night out in a bar or a club.

If there was something really different, then maybe - but fuck it.

Tons of people stay in - and for good reason.

by Anonymousreply 1512/27/2012

It was fun to go out when I was a twentysomething and all my friends my age had parties in their new apartments. Even in the late 70s, street celebrations in LA were more cops than revelers, so that was a big turnoff. Still, a bigger turnoff was the crowd in Times Square even before 9/11 and all the "security measures."

by Anonymousreply 1612/28/2012

r13 is a kindred spirit.

Last time I went out on New Years Eve I was in my 20s. My friend's drunk boyfried kissed me in front of him, which caused all kinds of drama, then puked in their lobby when we got back to their place. The doorman wouldn't let him use the elevator, we had to drag his ass up 15 flights of stairs.

Now I stay home and enjoy not paying $100+ for a shitty night and a hangover. So, no, OP, I don't feel like a loser for staying home.

by Anonymousreply 1712/28/2012

My parents always buy a table at a black tie charity do. I'll probably go with them this year. It is like something out of a 1940s movie.

by Anonymousreply 1812/28/2012

I watch Anderson and Kathy Griffin.

by Anonymousreply 1912/28/2012

The last time I really celebrated on NYE was when I took that trip on the Poseidan. That was not my idea of a good time. Ever since then, I've stayed home and don't feel I've missed a thing.

by Anonymousreply 2012/28/2012

How old are you, OP, twenty-two? Only a loser or a dumb kid would post this.

by Anonymousreply 2112/28/2012

No, of course not. I go out if I feel like it and have been invited to or arranged for something that I will look forward to. And sometimes I have stayed in, alone and with a partner. All is fine, all is good, all has nothing to do what others think of me on NY's Eve.

by Anonymousreply 2212/28/2012

How sad that op cares what people think of him based on his New Year's Eve plans. He must be some twenty-something neurotic with very low self-esteem.

by Anonymousreply 2312/28/2012

I'll be flying on New Years Eve and Day and have for the past 29 years because I get paid for working holidays. I haven't worked Christmas for the past 22 years though.

by Anonymousreply 2412/28/2012

It's Amateur Night. I don't bother.

by Anonymousreply 2512/28/2012

PS. May I add, since I discovered this web page about a year ago I've become addicted. When I get to my layover it's the first site I go to in my room to be amused by all of your entertaining posts. You guys are great! Have a happy, prosperous, and fulfilling 2013.

by Anonymousreply 2612/28/2012

It is just like every other day of the year, I will do as I damn well please, within the limits of my personal sense of morality and the laws of this jurisdiction. I couldn't care less if other people consider me a "loser".

by Anonymousreply 2712/28/2012

I get multiple house party invites a year. I usually have to turn some down because the main event is always an annual bash hosted by one of my closest friends.

I'm lucky I have house parties to fall back on though. I couldn't imagine going to bars, clubs or restaurants on NYE. Too crowded, too many drunks (like Mardi Gras and St Pat's, NYE is "amateur night" for drinkers) and too expensive. If those were my only options I'd stay in or plan something myself.

by Anonymousreply 2812/28/2012

We've not gone out in 8 or so years. Most times we are in bed before 10. I'll be at the office on the 31st and 1st anyways, so am planning to treat it like any other Monday.

It is just another day for me. I have no idea what 'day' the Big Bang happened anyway. So why celebrate one particular day in the Gregorian calendar over the others.

by Anonymousreply 2912/28/2012

I'm only 32 and you couldn't pay me to go out. Overpriced everything, long lines, and once-a-year drunks that are sloppy and annoying. Nope. Home for me. Or maybe go see a few friends you feel the same.

by Anonymousreply 3012/28/2012

Haven't been out in ages. I stay home with family or friends. I can get drunk anytime I want and far cheaper. NYE is over-hyped as being this "great time" but the next day you're just hungover and disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 3112/28/2012

I'd rather have a nice dinner at home and get up the next day and watch the Rose Parade on TV.

by Anonymousreply 3212/28/2012

I intend to stay home and start a New Years Party thread on Datalounge. Fun! Bitchiness! Gossip! And no need to go outside.

by Anonymousreply 3312/28/2012

r32, "only 32" is just about middle age. You are closer to 40 than you are to 20.

by Anonymousreply 3412/28/2012

I don't usually go to parties, just hang out with my mom or a friend or two. But this year I didn't fly out to visit my mom or hometown friends. So I haven't got any plans so far. I don't want party but I do feel a bit of loser for being alone on NYE. It'll just be me and the cats I suppose.

I have friend nearby I could call up but I'd feel an even bigger loser making plans to hang out just because it's NYE.

by Anonymousreply 3512/28/2012

In the past I've done NYE in Times Square, London, Sydney, and Washington. It was fun but no need for repeats at those places. I just want the comfort and warmth of home this NYE.

by Anonymousreply 3612/28/2012

Have 8PM dinner reservations at Lidia's here in Kansas City. Will be home by midnight which is fine with me.

by Anonymousreply 3712/28/2012

I'm staying home and watching Anderson and Kathy too on CNN.

by Anonymousreply 3812/28/2012

Good to know, R34. That's actually sort of a relief. Now I can finally start letting myself go.

by Anonymousreply 3912/28/2012

Staying in. I've had my fill of everything social and holiday-related and don't want to be around people at all. I'll make dinner on New Year's Day for family and then it's back to my happy hermit existence.

by Anonymousreply 4012/28/2012

Rented a fabulous suite for my NYE party. Large living room and kitchen. Plus 6 bedrooms! We will stay in with friends and have a blast, with no worries about the huddled masses drinking and driving. The next morning I will serve a country breakfast.

My fuck buddy is bringing his 21 yo step son to the party.

by Anonymousreply 4112/28/2012

A lot of these stories ring a bell. Don't mind a small gathering close by with good friends but that's about it. I always found NYE depressing, not sure why. Maybe it's all the drunk strangers you're supposed to be chummy with not to mention the drunks in the streets.

by Anonymousreply 4212/28/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!