Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Please explain "Montessori" schools to me.

I have known two people who teach at such schools with no credentials whatsoever(one barely graduated high school). I have heard they're about encouraging kids to learn at their own pace and bringing the real world into lessons. Are these valid places of learning or kind of home school-y?

by Anonymousreply 4212/30/2012

Are they institutions of learning, or teenage brothels?

by Anonymousreply 112/27/2012

They used to pick out the brighter students, but these days, they are more a fashion statements for rich people with kids.

by Anonymousreply 212/27/2012

We're not going to explain them to you. We're going to teach you to find out about them yourself.

by Anonymousreply 312/27/2012

Montesorri was Thomas Jefferson's home. He used to teach his slave children there. The school developed from that.

It teaches kids to think for themselves rather than be regimented to societal norms.

by Anonymousreply 412/28/2012

r4 not Montesorri. It was Monticello.

by Anonymousreply 512/28/2012

No, Monticello was the last name of Larry on Leave it To Beaver.

by Anonymousreply 612/28/2012

damn

by Anonymousreply 712/28/2012

I went to a Montessori school for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade. Basically, there were flashcards, games, books in the classroom and you play/work with whatever you want. I'd memorize the US capitals, study math in a math book or with flashcards, games etc. We'd have one awful boring science lecture a week from the principal. We had a music class and for a period of each year, we'd have dancing teachers teach us square dancing and even a may pole dance. We also had a French teacher work with us from time to time. I loved it except for the principal who was mean to me. In retrospect, I think he was a drunk.

I turned out pretty well. When I went back to public school for the 5th grade, I was wayyyy ahead of everybody and I ultimately skipped the 7th grade and graduated from high school as Valedictorian.

On a side note, while at Montessori, one of my good friends there Dustin Stills told me his dad was a singer. Stephen Stills. I was like "never heard of him.". Years later, I was like whoa. Dustin was a good artist. He could draw E.T. I was impressed. I wrote a book while I was there and he did the illustrations.

by Anonymousreply 812/28/2012

r8

What a liar. You probably skipped to 7th grade from the 11th grade.

A teacher from Park Forest was put on suspension when he was investigated for improper relationships with the student. This is the second student at Rich East High School that has been investigated for improper conduct, in the last two months.

by Anonymousreply 912/28/2012

Montessori techniques were originally developed to be used with special needs students. Basically it's like enrolling your kid in special ed.

by Anonymousreply 1012/28/2012

oh please. you are 8. learn the shit or shut up. if you dont finish school welcome to a life of poverty.

Can parents take any responsibility about their kids education?

by Anonymousreply 1112/28/2012

The kids I have known in Montessori schools have all been, well shall we be charitable and say, Michael Phelps clones. Not swimming wise but mentally.

by Anonymousreply 1212/28/2012

[quote]I fully expect one or both to be White House Chief of Staff at some point in the future. Each wants the job, not glory.

Riiiight. They learn that bullshit sells at Montesorri, I guess.

I want the job not the glory.

There are plenty of jobs with no glory like giving free legal advice to the poor but they don't seem too interested in that, do they?

ROFLMFAO.

by Anonymousreply 1412/28/2012

Right on, R14!

by Anonymousreply 1512/28/2012

My three cousins attended montessori in the 80's and while they're all successful in the IT field now that they are in their 30s, they all started but didn't finish college even though their parents both have advanced degrees. The mom's theory was that montessori left them too independent to buckle down and get through the 4 years of university when they were younger.

by Anonymousreply 1612/28/2012

Montessori focuses on individual training rather than teaching to a class all at once. The teacher and assistants move around the classroom spending time with each student. There is no homework. By 1st grade they are learning multiplication, by 2nd algebra. Montessori students always test at several grade levels above their public school peers. They are taught to think outside the box. They promote diversity. There is no homework. There are no desks, they either sit at tables or on the floor.

Having a child go from a Montessori school to a public school is always a shock to their system. They aren't used to large class sizes, group learning/group think, homework and conformity.

I'd love for our child to continue in the system but each year costs about 10k. We had our child in the system for preschool and 1st grade and due to the approach to critical thinking achieved then, our child is now the smartest kid in the public elementary school (5th grade testing at 8th grade level) and often gets teased for it.

by Anonymousreply 1712/28/2012

R16, if they are successful, it sounds like a degree wouldn't have given them anything but a ton of debt.

Perhaps they are smarter than their parents.

by Anonymousreply 1812/28/2012

It is for dyslexic Asians looking for Monstacock.

by Anonymousreply 1912/28/2012

[quote]Montesorri was Thomas Jefferson's home. He used to teach his slave children there. The school developed from that.

Where the fuck did you learn that?

by Anonymousreply 2012/28/2012

My public school did some experimenting with the self-directed learning in the 70s. I was in several classes like that and left to my own devices I'd rather not work, so I didn't. I needed direction.

by Anonymousreply 2112/28/2012

You have any idea how much White House staff make? It's effectively pro bono, believe me.

by Anonymousreply 2212/28/2012

My nephew went for about 2 years early on. He is also near the top of his class now in 8th grade.

by Anonymousreply 2312/28/2012

It's certainly better than the Prussian system that our public schools use.

by Anonymousreply 2412/28/2012

My nephew goes to one in NYC. My brother said it's almost weird when you go into the classroom because it's so quiet: everyone is doing projects and doing "work." They are taught to put their projects away, responsibility, etc. I do have to say that my nephew seems to understand "process" - how to get something done. When he was three, he wanted us to write to a book together. And even though the story was about a monster, Charlie Brown and jail, I was impressed he could even figure out that you can make a book.

by Anonymousreply 2512/28/2012

Um, r4 was making a joke, people.

by Anonymousreply 2612/28/2012

I went to one as a kid was great- I was reading at the HS level in the 3rd grade. Was a shock when we moved. I was way ahead of the other kids in my "assigned" grade. Was a miserable few months until I was finally moved up a few grades. Was a very traditional school. The books for reading were dumbed down 3rd grade book. I started goig back in with the 5th graders after recess, brought my own reading books to school-basically the teacher finally gave in.

by Anonymousreply 2712/28/2012

Correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation. Parents who can afford $10k/yr for Montessori school can likely provide their kids with many more opportunities for mental enrichment and exploration than the working stiffs sending their kids to public schools.

by Anonymousreply 2812/28/2012

Some states offer public ones.

by Anonymousreply 3012/28/2012

I went from about age 3 to age 8, and I think I got a good foundation for the rest of my education, which was more traditional in Catholic and public schools. I was mostly bored in traditional classrooms, and ended up skipping two grades, graduating at 15, and finishing college at 19, which I don't actually recommend.

That said, the self-starter, work-at-your-own-pace way of completing tasks and solving problems has always worked well for me. I've worked for non-profits where you have to be a multi-tasker, and in the theater, where it's also good to be a generalist when you're producing a show.

I read "In the Plex," which is the story of Google and one of the main observations is that if you want to understand the company, you need to know that both Larry Page and Sergey Brin were Montessori kids. I recently got a job at Google, and when I walked in, I immediately "got" it.

So I guess the Montessori education is still useful after all these years.

by Anonymousreply 3112/28/2012

[quote]Correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation. Parents who can afford $10k/yr for Montessori school can likely provide their kids with many more opportunities for mental enrichment and exploration than the working stiffs sending their kids to public schools.

This is true, however it doesn't mean the system is a scam and it's only the other opportunities that enrich these kids lives. There is clearly something beneficial to the Montessori technique.

by Anonymousreply 3212/28/2012

My sister is a teacher and says most kids who come out of Montessori schools and into public school are often behind. She's taught 8yr olds who can barely spell and has had to use the reading program of 5 year olds to help them catch up. To be fair though she doesn't live in the USA and her experience may be very different from the US one.

by Anonymousreply 3312/29/2012

Ima no have no slaves, no way, capisci?

by Anonymousreply 3412/29/2012

Montessori was always for "troubled" children, who can't cope with everyday life.

And if a child can't cope with everyday life at age five, you know he's gonna turn out to be some kind of a retarded sociopath as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 3512/29/2012

Growing up in NYC, it was where all the rich arty hippies sent their kids. And the kids I knew there wound up going to Brown, Bennington, or art school.

by Anonymousreply 3612/29/2012

Thank you, R36, from the rest of the nation because we know what you are talking about.

We are all so NYC focused of course.

by Anonymousreply 3712/29/2012

[quote]WTF is Brown or Bennington?

Brown is a famous Ivy League University. Bennington is well known too.

by Anonymousreply 3812/30/2012

R6, Larry was my favorite of the younger boys on "Leave it to Beaver" -- Eddie was my favorite of the older boys, of course.

by Anonymousreply 3912/30/2012

The end of Jane Eyre turns me into a sobbing mess.

by Anonymousreply 4012/30/2012

oops

by Anonymousreply 4112/30/2012

They are acting academies for aspiring exotic thespians, both male and female.

by Anonymousreply 4212/30/2012
Need more help? Click Here.