Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Les Miserables" - Biggest opening day ever for a musical in the US, with $18m, Debuts at #1

Hit across the board. Beat "Django" at the box office. It's a massive hit.

by Anonymousreply 10001/02/2013

HISSSSS

by Anonymousreply 112/27/2012

My husbear and I saw it today. We thought it was VERY disappointing. And yes, my husbear is blatino. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 212/27/2012

But a critical FLOP!

by Anonymousreply 312/27/2012

OP, Why of course. It's family friendly with enough action to appeal to a more "macho" audience, enables those who've never seen it live to uncover the hype, especially if they've heard and liked the music, and has plenty of moralistic/quasi-religious/"spiritual" underlying themes to discuss until the next popular musical/movie. Just want to know how it will affect new fashion trends.

by Anonymousreply 412/27/2012

OP, why is it so important for this movie to be a box office hit? Isn't more important for it to be good?

by Anonymousreply 512/27/2012

Charlie=Stephen Sondheim, king of flops

by Anonymousreply 612/27/2012

[quote] But a critical FLOP!

The critics aren't the ones who gave Les Mis 20 million for Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 712/27/2012

In this case, probably not. Wasn't there an article posted recently saying that Working Title needed a massive hit to stay afloat? Evebn aside from that, if given the choice between critical success and piles of money, I suspect most people would choose the piles of money every time.

by Anonymousreply 812/27/2012

PS Charlie, I am a pretentious artist myself, and I thought Les Mis was a great, great movie.

It doesn't matter how good the movie is, it's damned by Datalounge standards because it's flyover friendly. And DL is full of pretentious snits like you who think a success d'estime or a or being a fashionable flop is far, far, far more important than making a buck.

Maybe Les Miserables IS good and IS a box office success, but narrow-minded hoity toits like you can't accept that something can be both.

by Anonymousreply 912/27/2012

If being financially successful is the main determinant of whether something is good or not, then AVATAR is a far greater movie than CITIZEN KANE.

by Anonymousreply 1012/27/2012

r9, if you're going to melt down so thoroughly, at least shriek, "What a world! what a world!" as you undo your wrist snaps.

by Anonymousreply 1112/27/2012

Not always, r10. That's a false equivalency. Les Miserables, from page to screen to stage, has something different and special that has kept the story captivating for over 150 years. And even thought you mock Avatar, its special effects are just as impressive as Kane's script and Les Mis' music.

by Anonymousreply 1212/27/2012

Sondheim is the king of flops? He is the one of the two or three greatest composers of Broadway musicals and an American treasure.

In the long run, box office does not matter.

by Anonymousreply 1312/27/2012

Get over yourself, r11. Your little jibes like at r3 are repetitive and boring and least of all humorous.

by Anonymousreply 1412/27/2012

Samantha Barks and Daniel Huttlestone steal the film.

by Anonymousreply 1512/27/2012

Aaron Tveit is sooooooo fucking HOT in the film!t

by Anonymousreply 1612/27/2012

Oh really, Charlie? Who outside New York or hardcore theatre buffs can name a single Sondheim show?

And before you accuse me of having no taste, I am a massive Sondheim fan.

And you know what? Rodgers and Hammerstein had several massive hits that were also successful hits. Les Miserables is not R&H, but it is possible to move audiences emotionally with a compelling score and story and still make millions of dollars.

Any artist who says that being artistically successful is more important than making money is a fucking liar.

by Anonymousreply 1712/27/2012

I wanted a shot of Aaron's feets. Those are a thing of beauty.

by Anonymousreply 1812/27/2012

" I WIPE BACK TO FRONT! "

by Anonymousreply 1912/27/2012

I finally saw it last night. My companion and I both liked it and gave it a solid B. Yes, it was flawed (my complaints have more to do with the casting than the directing), but it was still enjoyable and engaging. Not the utter mess some said it was.

by Anonymousreply 2012/27/2012

r19, that line is so old Victor Hugo could have written it 150 years ago. If you insist on making a fool on me, I'd appreciate it if you'd use originality. Now try again. Put some clever Sondheim wordiness into it.

by Anonymousreply 2212/27/2012

"OP, why is it so important for this movie to be a box office hit? Isn't more important for it to be good?"

I'd like it to be a hit. If it hits, Hollywood is likely to make more musical films, and I love a good musical. I'd also like Hugh Jackman to have a nice big non-comic hit on his resume, I don't want him to go the way of Eric Bana. I'd also like to enjoy myself when I see it, which I shall.

So those are my mild reasons for wanting it to be a hit. What I don't get are the impassioned haters who are willing it to flop. Why so much venom, haters?

by Anonymousreply 2312/27/2012

But will it win OSCARS!!!!????

by Anonymousreply 2412/27/2012

Why do you guys (on both sides of the issue) have so much invested emotionally in this movie? Seems like a weird thing to care so strongly about. It is just a movie.

by Anonymousreply 2512/27/2012

Yeah, because tickets are more expensive now and movies are rolled out in a different way these days. "Biggest opening day" is PR bullshit made up by the studios.

by Anonymousreply 2612/27/2012

My guess is the people hoping for it to flop are the same people desperately trying to turn Anne Hathaway into Gwyneth Paltrow.

I'm 23 and could give a shit about this movie. Not a hater of anyone involved, but not a fan, either. Though I do think Aaron Tveit is cute. I can't imagine anyone younger than 40 spewing so much hatred toward this movie and its actors.

Now can we please stop all of these lame Anne Hathaway threads?

by Anonymousreply 2712/27/2012

We saw it this morning. Very well done. I think I would have enjoyed it a bit more had I not read a lot of the criticisms about the close-ups and shaky cam.

Most of the stars were excellent. Crowe was a weak link. He tries hard but the score is a bit out of his range. I actually think they didn't worked with him enough. He was often nasal and that can be remedied in most cases. Another time, he was putting that "catch" in his voice that annoys the hell out me (think country singers).

Banks steals every scenes she's in. Hathaway is truly great. I know she's getting a lot of hate here but she really does a phenomenal job. Loved Redmayne. Jackman carries the whole thing and does a great job.

If you are looking for the definitive recording, get the London or B'way OCR. I totally agree with the way it's done in the movie though.

The weakest part is the direction but overall, it's a great movie.

BTW, it is not a critical flop. Most of the reviews are very favorable but point out some of the flaws. The most negative ones are where the reviewer doesn't even like the source material. Box office? Hard to know. Musicals are difficult to sell and sung-through even more. However, with a show that almost one in every 125 people in the world has seen, it could be a huge hit.

I went to a 10:30 am showing. Not a huge crowd but the people applauded at the end.

by Anonymousreply 2812/27/2012

r27 - I'm over 50 and agree with you for the most part. I give a shit to the degree that I saw the original show on Broadway twice and really liked it and am with r23 with his reasons for wanting it to be good (and do well).

Amanda Seyfreid is also getting a lot of hate here too, which I don't understand. She has a lovely voice and is wonderful in the movie, though Cosette really doesn't have a lot to do. I think it's lingering "Mamma Mia" dislike.

by Anonymousreply 2912/27/2012

[quote]OP, why is it so important for this movie to be a box office hit? Isn't more important for it to be good?

No. It's a business, hon. It's only about money.

by Anonymousreply 3012/27/2012

[My guess is the people hoping for it to flop are the same people desperately trying to turn Anne Hathaway into Gwyneth Paltrow.]

Its not other "people" trying to turn Miss Anne into Goopy, she's doing a fine job of that all by herself with her horrible recent pr campaign. And she's close to surpassing Miss G at this point on the weird and pretentious scale.

by Anonymousreply 3112/27/2012

That should maybe cover marketing costs. Maybe.

by Anonymousreply 3212/27/2012

It wasn't just Crowe's voice that was weak - I felt he lacked his trademark intensity and "edge" for a character that absolutely required it. IMO, he added nothing to the movie and weighed down every scene he was in.

by Anonymousreply 3312/27/2012

r31, what's with those weird brackets?

by Anonymousreply 3412/27/2012

By the weekend, it will be taken over by Django and Hobbit. It's heavily frontloaded and critically lambasted. No amount of fangurlishness can save it. It's not Twilight.

Sorry, girls.

by Anonymousreply 3512/27/2012

$56M so far including international grosses.

by Anonymousreply 3612/27/2012

Sorry, Charlie. "King of Flops" is appropriate for Sondheim, who has never been bankable.

Sure, he's great. But he's also insufferable, as witness his two books.

by Anonymousreply 3712/27/2012

[quote]I felt he lacked his trademark intensity and "edge" for a character that absolutely required it.

Maybe he should have hissed.

by Anonymousreply 3812/27/2012

[quote]and critically lambasted

Stop with the Critic shit. It's 2012. No one but theater queens gives a shit what critics say. You don't have to go to a theater to see previews anymore. All films have websites now that feature tons of promotional material. No one is sitting home waiting for the paper to come to see if they will venture to the neighborhood bijou anymore. Audiences know if they want to see a film or not. The top twenty films of the year were not because of critics.

by Anonymousreply 3912/27/2012

Look at the top 20 of the year at Rotten Tomatoes. Combined they grossed less than opening day of Les Miz. Critics did shit for them.

by Anonymousreply 4012/27/2012

This is great news for Barbra Streisand's Gypsy, which is set to hit theaters Christmas 2013.

by Anonymousreply 4112/27/2012

18 mil?

Pah!

That's a pittance.

by Anonymousreply 4212/27/2012

r34 they're a quick fix for quoting. I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to quote properly.

Last time I tried to get fancy here and boldface some type to make a point I ended up making the entire thread boldface. Stopped trying after that.

by Anonymousreply 4312/27/2012

[quote]But will it win OSCARS!!!!????

Of course it has a chance, probably the best musical in years.

by Anonymousreply 4412/27/2012

[quote]Why do you guys (on both sides of the issue) have so much invested emotionally in this movie? Seems like a weird thing to care so strongly about. It is just a movie.

It's not just a movie, Les Miserables is positively the best musical of the century!

by Anonymousreply 4512/27/2012

[quote]By the weekend, it will be taken over by Django and Hobbit. It's heavily frontloaded and critically lambasted.

I agree. Its debut is impressive, but that's mainly due to the built-in audience -- LES MIZ fans and musical theater geeks who've been anticipating the film. I think by next week it will have dropped significantly. Some movies open big, only to quickly drop off.

Also, the movie is not a hit yet. The rule of thumb is that a film must gross triple its production budget in order to be in the clear. LES MIZ's budget was $61 million. It needs to gross another $122 million for it to be profitable.

by Anonymousreply 4612/27/2012

My frau mom saw it with her frau friends. She liked the parts with Cohen and Bonham Carter and said Hathaway "wasn't in it that much".

by Anonymousreply 4712/27/2012

[quote]By the weekend, it will be taken over by Django and Hobbit. It's heavily frontloaded and critically lambasted.

Django is filthy, it's only worth watching for DiCaprio's performance, and The Hobbit is no Lord of the Rings.

Les Miserables is a brilliant movie! It's entertaining, and you will have a wonderful time.

by Anonymousreply 4812/27/2012

Especially if you are a big fan of dirges!

by Anonymousreply 4912/27/2012

"No one but theater queens gives a shit what critics say."

The worst part is that you think that is something to brag about.

by Anonymousreply 5012/27/2012

For some reason, R47's post cracks me up!

by Anonymousreply 5112/27/2012

I told Anne that she should have taken the role of Louise in Gypsy, but bitch didn't wanna listen.

by Anonymousreply 5312/27/2012

[quote]You're a moron. Eat Anne Hathaway's shit NOW.

That was extremely rude! Why should I get flamed for telling the truth?

by Anonymousreply 5412/27/2012

What percentage of the profits will be donated to fighting hunger?

Yea - I thought so. Another opportunity to make millions from the poverty and suffering of the lower class.

by Anonymousreply 5512/27/2012

[quote]Why do you guys (on both sides of the issue) have so much invested emotionally in this movie? Seems like a weird thing to care so strongly about. It is just a movie.

I don't think both sides do. I think initially that the over-the-top positive reaction to the initial screenings and the anticipation caused some trolls to have fun taking the contrarian position. Now, both sides have their trolls operating so it's hard to know who, if anyone, is taking any of this seriously.

by Anonymousreply 5612/27/2012

As I said, it will not finish out the weekend at #1. That will go to the Hobbit. It's already slid down. Django will over take it on Sat. and Sun.

It's a mild hit that is heavily frontloaded that will fall off the map within a week.

by Anonymousreply 5712/28/2012

Its a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 5812/28/2012

Streisand's GYPSY is dead.

GUILT TRIP bombing made sure of that.

by Anonymousreply 5912/28/2012

The Hobbit already climbed back to the top spot thursday.

by Anonymousreply 6012/28/2012

Les Mis is losing some steam. Its now #3, behind The Hobbit and Django Unchained.

by Anonymousreply 6212/29/2012

So...thoughts on Parental Guidance?

by Anonymousreply 6312/29/2012

Parental Guidance is a cute movie. If you were going into it expecting high art, then you were the fool.

Hollywood used to make wonderful family movies like this. With Spencer and Irene Dunne. No hardcore sex, no extreme violence. Pure wonderful escapism.

Don't complain that there are very few films being made with actresses over forty. You had your chance by making Guilt Trip and this hits, but you blew it.

by Anonymousreply 6412/29/2012

P.A. will probably be a modest hit, no? Nearly $15 million in the US alone so far and it's been released in a few other countries as well.

by Anonymousreply 6512/29/2012

[quote]Don't complain that there are very few films being made with actresses over forty. You had your chance by making Guilt Trip and this hits, but you blew it.

The complaint is that there are no GOOD movies being made with actresses over forty. That complaint is still valid after seeing the tedious and trite "Parental Guidance". It is so lame and unfunny that it is just sad.

by Anonymousreply 6612/29/2012

R62, The Hobbit is playing in 1,300 more screens than Les Miserables and only made 700k more than the musical. I'd say The Hobbit is the one losing steam.

by Anonymousreply 6712/29/2012

R67, The Hobbit has been out for over two weeks while Les Mis has only been out for a few DAYS. And yet The Hobbit has been beating it all week except for Christmas day.

by Anonymousreply 6812/29/2012

The Hobbit also lost to Les Mis on the 26th too but the point remains that The Hobbit is one of the biggest franchises of all time AND is playing on 1,300 MORE screens than Les Mis. It better damn well better be beating it and it has beat it the past two days - but barely.

by Anonymousreply 6912/29/2012

R64, Hollywood shouldn't blame poor box office on "women over 40" casting when the real issue is poor scripts. I guarantee you that you could cast a top grossing movie with all old, ugly (but talented) actors/actresses IF some of the talented and witty comedy writers on DL contributed.

by Anonymousreply 7012/29/2012

R64, neither film was a hit because they were HORRIBLE. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that one out.

When was the last time Seth Rogen had a hit, btw?

by Anonymousreply 7112/29/2012

A few critics have already named The Hobbit as one of the worst films of the year.

by Anonymousreply 7212/29/2012

The Hobbit has already made $600 million worldwide. Why are people saying it's a flop?

by Anonymousreply 7312/29/2012

It's not a disaster, and it's not losing any steam....GROW-UP!!

by Anonymousreply 7412/29/2012

[quote][R62], The Hobbit is playing in 1,300 more screens than Les Miserables and only made 700k more than the musical. I'd say The Hobbit is the one losing steam.

That's what I was thinking too.

by Anonymousreply 7512/29/2012

Has anyone seen IMAX Les Miserables?

by Anonymousreply 7612/29/2012

The Hobbit is projected to make a little more this weekend than it did last weekend. No drop off. Doesn't seem to be losing steam at all.

by Anonymousreply 7712/29/2012

Weekend Box Office: ‘The Hobbit’ #1 Passes $600M Global, ‘Django’ Clobbers ‘Les Miz’ Which Crosses $100M Worldwide In 9 Days

1. The Hobbit (MGM/Wwarner Bros) Week 3 [Runs 4,100] PG13 Friday $10.7M, Saturday $11.3M, Weekend $31.5M, Est Cume $221.3M

2. Django Unchained (Sony/Weinstein) Week 1 [Runs 3,010] R Friday $9.6M, Saturday $11.2M, Weekend $31.0M, Est Cume $64.0M

3. Les Misérables (Working Title/Universal) Week 1 [Runs 2,814] PG13 Friday $9.4M, Saturday $9.7M, Weekend $27.4M, Est Cume $66.8M

4. Parental Guidance (Walden/Fox) Week 1 [Runs 3,367] PG Friday $5.0M, Saturday $5.1M, Weekend $14.4M, Est Cume $29.0M

5. Jack Reacher (Skydance/Paramount) Week 2 [Runs 3,352] PG13 Friday $4.5M, Saturday $5.2M, Weekend $14.0M, Est Cume $44.5M

6. This Is 40 (Universal) Week 2 [Runs 2,914] R Friday $4.1M, Saturday $4.5M, Weekend $12.5M, Est Cume $36.4M

7. Lincoln (DreamWorks/Fox/Disney) Week 8 [Runs 1,966] PG13 Friday $2.3M, Saturday $2.6M, Weekend $7.5M, Est Cume $132.0M

8. The Guilt Trip (Skydance/Paramount) Week 2 [Runs 2,431] PG13 Friday $2.0M, Saturday $2.5M, Weekend $7.0M, Est Cume $21.4M

9. Monsters Inc 3D (Pixar/Disney) Week 2 [Runs 2,618] G Friday $2.2M, Saturday $2.2M, Weekend $6.2M, Est Cume $18.3M

10. Rise Of The Guardians (DWA/Par) Week 5 [Runs 3,031] Friday $1.7M, Saturday $1.6M, Weekend $5.0M, Est Cume $90.4M

by Anonymousreply 7812/30/2012

It's not a bad film but it's not a great one. The worst thing you can say is, it's a disappointment. Tom Hooper is to blame. As said before, it's claustrophobic. Extreme close ups and the singing live doesn't work. It's a dark story. There is no joy anywhere so like an opera that is full of tragedy, the joy comes from hearing beautiful voices singing gorgeous songs. To me, "Les Miz" is full of these and when you're singing while running and crying, the beauty is lost. Yes, the cast can sing, I didn't even mind Russell Crowe, but the effect doesn't work. This needs big soaring voice, only Hathaway's "I Dreamed A Dream" worked live. Only when the crowds voices soared, did you hear what it could have been.

by Anonymousreply 7901/01/2013

The timing of this movie kind of sucked. Remember that "Les Miz" the play came out at a time of relative popular prosperity, and the issues of poverty and oppression depicted in the story were comparatively remote from audiences' own personal experiences. Whereas we're now heading into the fifth year of a global recession, exacerbated by the United States having just gone off the "fiscal cliff," and we're all under the boot of an all-powerful corporate ruling class that makes Louis Philippe look like the mayor of Dogpatch. And does Tom Hooper's "Les Miz" even think to mirror our own contemporary situation sympathetically? No, it's all about the fucking live singing and the fucking tight closeups and the flavin. No massive hit here, just a massive meh.

by Anonymousreply 8001/01/2013

I am SO GLAD I know nothing about this play, the songs, the actors, the movie, nothing -- zip, nada!

And the reason I am patting myself on the back so vigorously in my post -- I don't want to know!

Yay!!

(carry on, you pop culture freaks)

by Anonymousreply 8201/01/2013

Do you at least know the basic plot, R82? Or are you always so proud of being ignorant about literature as well?

by Anonymousreply 8301/01/2013

You are aware we are in a global recession, R81? Including the UK, and all of Europe.

by Anonymousreply 8401/01/2013

Yes, I know about that Hugo fellow.

Zzzzzzzz.

by Anonymousreply 8501/01/2013

Read the book. It is universal.

And the new film represents the book better than any stage version ever has.

by Anonymousreply 8601/01/2013

r81, have you been following the news in France? The socialist government (the contemporary equivalent of the people on the barricades in "Les Miz") recently passed a law raising tax rates on the filthy rich, who made such a stink about it (including Gerard "Yeah, I used to participate in gang rapes, so what?" Depardieu, who threatened to move to Belgium) that they're being forced to back down. Meanwhile, in the UK, the austerity measures that have been imposed over the last few years have made living conditions so bad that the government is now terrified of a breakdown in civil order--riots, looting, etc.

So yes, it is a story of contemporary relevance.

by Anonymousreply 8701/01/2013

I don't really like musicals.. but I'll probably still see it. One reason: Eddie Redmayne. He's hot as hell!

by Anonymousreply 8801/01/2013

I'm shocked that there's been so little criticism of Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter's performances! He, in particular, seemed completely at sea, like he didn't even want to be there.

For me, they were, by far, the weakest links in the movie.

Were their parts built up for the film version? I couldn't believe how those two unnecessary characters kept popping up in the action, especially in that penultimate scene at the party (was that supposed to be Cosette's wedding?).

by Anonymousreply 8901/01/2013

django cost half of what les miz cost and will make twice the amount of money. the real story is how an r-rated movie like django is doing so well...

by Anonymousreply 9001/01/2013

R90, DJANGO's budget was $100 million; LES MIZ's was $61 million.

R89, I too couldn't stand SBC and HBC. They were not funny in the least bit and totally ruined "Master of the House." My audience ate it up, though, and laughed. But I think all the jokes in the song fell flat.

I really hated the whole gesturing scene with Little Cosette. First of all, SBC was trying too hard, but mostly it distracted from what Jackman was saying... er singing. To the soulful tune of "I Dreamed a Dream" he was telling Cosette that her mother had died and that he would now be both father and mother to her. But here you have SBC acting like a clown and the theater I was in were roaring with laughter. It's supposed to be a touching moment.

by Anonymousreply 9101/01/2013

Hooper didnt want too many downer moments.

by Anonymousreply 9201/01/2013

It's a flop.

Next.

by Anonymousreply 9301/02/2013

It's not a flop, R93, and your lying won't make it true.

by Anonymousreply 9401/02/2013

[quote] django cost half of what les miz cost and will make twice the amount of money.

No. DJango cost nearly as much as Les Miserables.

by Anonymousreply 9501/02/2013

Correction. Django cost nearly twice as much to make as Les Miserables.

by Anonymousreply 9601/02/2013

[quote]Correction. Django cost nearly twice as much to make as Les Miserables.

And it shows. [i]Les Miz[/i]'s sets looked laughably cheap when you could see them. Maybe that's why Hooper resorted to all those damn close-ups.

by Anonymousreply 9701/02/2013

Regardless of whether it makes any money Les Mis is certainly a critical flop. Whether you read a good review or a bad one it sounds awful.

by Anonymousreply 9801/02/2013

A 71% RottenTomatoes rating is not a critical FLOP. It's not a critic's darling but it's not a flop either. Quit generalizing.

by Anonymousreply 9901/02/2013

Best musical that I've seen so far.

by Anonymousreply 10001/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.