Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bastard, Illegitimate Child = Outdated Terms/Concepts?

A child is only legitimate if the parents are married? Long ago, children out-of-wedlock was scandalous and shameful. Not so anymore. A bastard is a child whose parents aren't married. Aren't these old fashioned terms that ought to be retired by now? More and more children are parented by people who chose not to marry. Every gay couple that uses a surrogate for an offspring would have a bastard child. I understand legal technicalities, but so what if a child was born out-of-wedlock? Can't you still have a court preceding without the shameful concept of illegitimacy? Pretty harsh.

Just curious what your opinions are about this.

by Anonymousreply 1012/27/2012

My opinion is: well, duh.

by Anonymousreply 112/27/2012

Opinion on what? Yes, it is outdated and bastard is now just another insult like asshole and muthafucka.

by Anonymousreply 212/27/2012

Yes. NO ONE uses the term "bastard" anymore.

by Anonymousreply 312/27/2012

Yes. I'm born outside of marriage.. but my parents have been together for like 30 years, and they act just like a married couple. I don't see any difference between them and other married couples, I really don't. They have the same rights too.. so it's no big deal.

by Anonymousreply 412/27/2012

Is there any legal difference between legitimate and illegitimate children now?

There doesn't seem to be any in the laws governing custody and child support, how about inheritances?

by Anonymousreply 512/27/2012

People used to damn the kids born outside of marriage. I'm glad we've moved past that.

by Anonymousreply 612/27/2012

r5, divorce and the children of that partnership born in or out-of-wedlock is listed, or at least was still listed in the 1990s. This is why judges say that if you have children, you're better off getting married for the sake of the children legally.

by Anonymousreply 712/27/2012

They used to shun unwed mothers. Calling the child of an unwed mother a bastard was a way of influencing behavior not considered acceptable. These day anything goes.

by Anonymousreply 812/27/2012

"There are no illegitimate children, only illegitimate parents!"

--Irene Dunne in some 40s movie

by Anonymousreply 912/27/2012

There is no difference between children born in a marriage and those not. There are, in effect, no longer illegitimate children. If you are the child then you have equal claim to any inheritance and child support as any other child. There is no need to get married for the "sake of the children." Unmarried parents have equal claim to custody and rights over their children.

Where the hell have you people been?

by Anonymousreply 1012/27/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!