Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dataloungers: If you were (or are) a parent...

...would you lie to your child about Santa Claus or would you tell them the truth?

by Anonymousreply 1512/27/2012

I'd be honest.

I'd be direct.

"Son. I'm going upstairs right now to fuck your mother."

I wouldn't want to bullshit a 4-year-old.

Kids are sophisticated these days.

by Anonymousreply 112/27/2012

When our child was 7, she figured out that Santa had the same wrapping paper and same handwriting as dad. By the time they are 9 or 10, you have a hard time explaining the physics of going to every house on the planet in one night and flying reindeer, so ultimately the dream gets ripped to shreds.

by Anonymousreply 212/27/2012

This is just one more part of the Christmas tradition that I don't understand. Why would you want to lie to your kids about a strange man who'll come down your chimney in the middle of the night? And what the hell does that have to do with Jesus? OMG, it's just bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 312/27/2012

Magic exists on a much higher plane than mere physics, R2. Dear God, what a boring parent you must have been.

by Anonymousreply 412/27/2012

R4, we played along until she was intelligent enough to figure it out. Not boring but also not pathetically stupid. If you are going to insist to your preteen children that Santa really exists, you just look 'clueless to today's generation.'

We did Santa, the Easter Bunny, the tooth fairy, all that. It only lasts for so long unless the child is retarded like you.

by Anonymousreply 512/27/2012

Of course my kids are going to get presents from Santa. It's part of the fun of being a child, and I'm not going to rob my child of that because of some misguided moral outrage. Kids figure it out eventually - like R2 says - same wrapping paper, same handwriting - and when s/he figures it out, that's when you tell the kid!

I've also noticed that a lot of people claim that they plan on taking all the fun of being a kid away from their child, but when they actually have kids, surprise, surprise, they end up doing the whole Santa, Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy thing.

by Anonymousreply 612/27/2012

I didn't know that anyone actually did the Easter Bunny. Just the tooth fairy and Santa.

by Anonymousreply 712/27/2012

I don't plan in perpetuating the Santa myth. It's silly and it sets kids up for disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 812/27/2012

We also played along and then one year he figured it out or someone at school told him. It was a good run while it lasted. He was excited to leave cookies and milk for Santa and carrots for the reindeer.

by Anonymousreply 912/27/2012

It's fun - why not? I think it's harder to explain all the Santas and TV specials - "that's what the rest of the children believe, but not you".

Who wants their child to be Debbie Downer anyway to the other children? You know that can't keep that info to themselves.

by Anonymousreply 1012/27/2012

If parents are going to be honest about Santa Claus, then they should stop Halloween also. Putting a sheet over your head doesn't make you a ghost, wearing a tiara doesn't make you a princess.

The whole point of Santa Claus is to strengthen a child's imagination, to enter into a world of make believe.

Plus it's fun as a generational thing. Grandmothers can tell stories about how their children tried to see Santa on Christmas Eve. Each parent generation is given the privilege of building the story for the children's generation.

by Anonymousreply 1112/27/2012

Let them have the magic of Christmas for a little while. There's plenty of time for cold hard reality to slap them in the face.

by Anonymousreply 1212/27/2012

[quote]...would you lie to your child about Santa Claus or would you tell them the truth?

why the hell didn't you announce "spoilers ahead"!!!!!! Are you trying to ruin everyone's fun?

by Anonymousreply 1312/27/2012

[quote] Magic exists on a much higher plane than mere physics, [R2]. Dear God, what a boring parent you must have been.

Any 9 or 10 year old who still belives in Santa Claus has serious problems

by Anonymousreply 1412/27/2012

by Anonymousreply 1512/27/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!