Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lowenstein, Lowenstein....

First off I want to say hello to all of the dataloungers and barcoloungers, and say that I am a brand new paying member and this is my first post. I was tired of being one of the 47% and paying my fare share. *****************

I saw "Prince of Tides" on cable tonight and man was it a lot better than the first time I saw it. Barbra was beautiful and never acted better and Nick Nolte gave a really textured performance---did he win anything? What is the story on this film since I am not an elder gay.

by Jonny Midnightreply 2712/29/2012

Babe ruined the story. The book is much better.

by Jonny Midnightreply 212/27/2012

That's funny, I loved it when I saw it in the theater, but on a later viewing on television I realized what a pedestrian, cliched film it was.

by Jonny Midnightreply 312/27/2012

Babs as the object of a hot man's desire here was so ludicrous it gave her ridiculously miscast performance in Nuts a run for its money. Kate Nelligan was sublime, however.

by Jonny Midnightreply 412/27/2012

I'm am the OP and new. Can someone tell me how to respond directly to a response, like R2 or R4? How is that done?

by Jonny Midnightreply 512/27/2012

Prince of Tides is elder gay material? Did you mean Funny Girl?

by Jonny Midnightreply 612/27/2012

OP is the webmaster.What a retard.

by Jonny Midnightreply 712/27/2012

I thought OP meant: Original Poster

And don't call me a retard fuckface. It's called Asperger Syndromite now.

by Jonny Midnightreply 812/27/2012

On this board OP means dumb shit that pays 18 bucks to post on a web site that no one reads.

by Jonny Midnightreply 912/27/2012

I've never been better onscreen.

PS: buy my album, please!

by Jonny Midnightreply 1012/27/2012

No barcaloungers on this site OP, more like a hissing snake pit. To consider anything written by Conroy as literature is misguided. He is closer to a drag queen writing for soap opera

by Jonny Midnightreply 1112/27/2012

R11, I don't think I understand you. You mean he is going out with a drag queen who writes for a soap opera? I don't think I get it. Who is the drag queen and which soap opera?

by Jonny Midnightreply 1212/27/2012

R4, how would you know what a straight man would feel for Barbra Streisand? I mean, you are obviously a prisspot by the way you write, you almost have a texting lisp.

Come back here when you land a man looking like Josh Brolin, OK?

by Jonny Midnightreply 1312/27/2012

"Prince of Tides" was a mawkish soap opera masquerading as a film. That it got nominated for a Best Picture Academy Award, while "Thelma and Louise" and "Boyz in the Hood" did not, says all we need to know about the Oscars.

by Jonny Midnightreply 1412/27/2012

All bow to R14.

If we ever need to know ANYthing about film, we know where to find him. He even uses words like "mawkish", so he must be real smart.

by Jonny Midnightreply 1512/27/2012

[R4] Barbra does have the devoted desire of a hot man. James Brolin is beautiful, always has been and always will be.

by Jonny Midnightreply 1612/27/2012

Wow, everyone is so mean.

Announce that you are new and have paid to post and it gets you so much abuse.....

Good luck OP.

I have some memory of this movie and I tend to agree that Streisand is a good actress but I don't think she has ever failed to muck up any performance with her need to show her hands, and nails and legs and preferred profile. She is a great looking woman, but doesn't believe it herself and it always shows in her work.

I am not saying this to be bitchy, but Prince of Tides is about the worst example of her weird neurosis and lack of real guts.

She tackles purportedly serious material and directs her actors quite well and does some good scenes with them...... BUT, fuck why can't Barbra refrain from needing to prove that she is sexy and desirable - it is the call and hallmark of her acting life, and not likely different from her personal neuroses. OY.

Seriously flawed movie, especially in the soft focus spit sharing ass grabbing shots, Nick Nolte and Barbra "interlude" air lifted in to the film. Kind of discredits the story she has told up until then, even if the book has this material. She is kind of deplorable in her display and I remember laughing and feeling sorry for her at once.

OK, I am being earnest, but I think your post is serious and so why not. The novel is better or the novel is pap crap doesn't really matter.

It was popular and semi serious material. I think Nick Nolte is pretty terrific in this movie, and the rest, hey, well they could be worse.

Streisand as a director has an above average visual storytelling talent, and some gift with actors. This movie is the one to study to observe all her weakness of egoism over objectivity.

Nice scenery, some great scenes on the couch, and kids underwater. Lowenstein, Lowenstein.

Why the hate for the OP? Much worse films are discussed out here for free. She ruined her own movie and that is kind of interesting because her desire and ability to do good is there to see.....

by Jonny Midnightreply 1712/27/2012

R17 is fat and boring.

by Jonny Midnightreply 1812/27/2012

r17 makes excellent points.

by Jonny Midnightreply 1912/27/2012

As a very picky lesbian, I can tell you that Barbra Streisand is not attractive in any way, shape, or form. However, she is rich.

If you want to watch a Pat Conroy film, watch "The Great Santini." You'll like it.

by Jonny Midnightreply 2012/27/2012

Where was the hot man, r4?

by Jonny Midnightreply 2112/27/2012

Enough men in Hollywood wanted to and did sleep with Babs. There was a fair share that also desired her that's where she got the idea, from her real life.

While not being conventionally good looking there was a sensuousness about her and an allure. Her attractiveness was not superficially looks based which is why no one here gets it.

by Jonny Midnightreply 2212/27/2012

My name is Zweig

by Jonny Midnightreply 2312/27/2012

Agree about Nelligan, R4. I also loved Goop's mom as Nolte's wife.

by Jonny Midnightreply 2412/27/2012

It's a very good film up to the point where Nolte's character reveals the family secret. The romance after that is boring- but the family secrets being revealed and Kate Nelligan are terrific.

by Jonny Midnightreply 2512/27/2012

[quote]Enough men in Hollywood wanted to and did sleep with Babs.

Yeah, 50 years ago.

by Jonny Midnightreply 2612/27/2012

HA HA...

I loved that Simpson's episode.

by Jonny Midnightreply 2712/29/2012
Need more help? Click Here.