Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Would THE KENNEDY CENTER HONORS ever have a year with 4 women and 1 man?

I can't imagine that happening but the awards are really so sexist when you realize this.

Wouldn't you agree that women have always played as important a role in the Performing Arts as men?

Why are there comparatively so few women winners?

by Anonymousreply 7801/02/2013

Well, Barbara Cook was the size of two men.

by Anonymousreply 312/26/2012

Well, who makes the choices? Should we blame Caroline? And who the hell was responsible for that amateurish Dustin Hoffman stage tribute?

by Anonymousreply 512/26/2012

[quote] Would THE KENNEDY CENTER HONORS ever have a year with 4 women and 1 man?

No, but I'm sure JFK slept with four women at one time at least once

by Anonymousreply 612/26/2012

Not the most scintillating of years, so far.

by Anonymousreply 712/26/2012

The Hoffman tribute was the lamest I've ever seen on any of these shows.

by Anonymousreply 812/26/2012

Where the hell is Mischa? Wasn't he her partner all those years?

by Anonymousreply 912/26/2012

There are several years where there have been more women than men honored. But looking over the KC Honors wiki, men are in the majority most years.

The KCH recognizes a lifetime achievement where the honoree has transformed their discipline. My guess is that more women artists then men have put families/children ahead of their art for parts of their lives. Our culture has not required that men 'drop out' for years or decades to raise kids.

by Anonymousreply 1012/26/2012

This has more to do with the lack of "great" female artists due to institutional sexism than the KC imo. Who should get one that hasnt already?

by Anonymousreply 1112/26/2012

There has never been a year when more than two women received the award.

by Anonymousreply 1212/26/2012

There also seems to be a lower bar for men. Meryl had to be Meryl Fing Streep to get it. Dustin Hoffman once gave a few good performances and is getting it this year.

by Anonymousreply 1312/26/2012

Be prepared for the MTM troll; you opened the door.

by Anonymousreply 1412/26/2012

R12: 2005, 1989,1985,1980. Three women honored.

by Anonymousreply 1512/26/2012

Also remember that just because someone is approached to be honored doesn't mean they will accept the honor. Is it Doris Day that has been offered a few times and turned it down?

by Anonymousreply 1612/26/2012

This is one of the worst Kennedy Center Honors in years. No one knows who the hell the bitchy, old Communist ballerina or the black, stereotypical jazz musician even are. Dustin Hoffman came off like the arrogant prick he is even though he didn't say a word. Heavy metalers Led Zeppelin being honored is ludicrous and Letterman would eviscerate this kind of award show if he wasn't receiving one. Please god let Liza, Mary Tyler Mooore and Ann-Margret receive their honors next year and restore some lustre and legitimacy to this honor.

by Anonymousreply 1712/26/2012

We'd hear from all of Liza's gay husbands, hear a a medley op 70's hits from Valerie Harper, and hear a stunning rendition of "Bye Bye Bird-he" from Barbara Cook.

by Anonymousreply 1812/26/2012

OOOh, Kid Rock! He could sing "Cabaret" at the Liza salute.

by Anonymousreply 1912/26/2012

Makarova is very tall, and on point, she is nearly 6 ft tall. Baryshnikov is about 5' 7" or so - much too short to partner her.

by Anonymousreply 2012/26/2012

Watching my President sing along with Lenny Kravitz on Led Zepplin's "whole Lotta Love" shakin his head. Yeah.

He's sexier than Bill Clinton, by a mile.

by Anonymousreply 2112/26/2012

Ladies and Gentlemen, to honor Miss Liza Minnelli, please welcome Miss Christine Pedi.

by Anonymousreply 2212/26/2012

Thread sponsored by Jezebel.com

by Anonymousreply 2312/26/2012

Everyone knows who Natalia makarova is in the ballet world! R17. This isn't just about you and who you know. They honor dance as well s acting and music. Stop being so narrow and provincial.

by Anonymousreply 2512/26/2012

Hopefully, R17's was a parody post.

by Anonymousreply 2612/26/2012

Would Liza Minnelli seriously be considered for a Kennedy Center Honor? I don't see why not.

by Anonymousreply 2712/26/2012

God, Baldwin looks good.

by Anonymousreply 2812/26/2012

"Makarova is very tall, and on point, she is nearly 6 ft tall."

Makarova is a little over 5' tall, and has such tiny feet that going en pointe doesn't make her much taller. You must be thinking of some other ballerina.

by Anonymousreply 3012/26/2012

Spoken like a true Republican, R29.

by Anonymousreply 3112/27/2012

Good lord, Caroline Kennedy was gracelessly galumphing across the stage like a linebacker. Jackie must be spinning in her grave.

by Anonymousreply 3212/27/2012

a

by Anonymousreply 3312/27/2012

I'm planning to be nominated next year.

by Anonymousreply 3412/27/2012

Where was Meryl? Why wasn't she part of the Dustin tribute? Wasn't she there? Wasn't that iPhone photo of her and Hillary taken at the KC Awards ceremony?

by Anonymousreply 3512/27/2012

Gene Hackman should have been there for Dsty. They are old friends and former roommates from back in the old days. I wonder if Gene is il?

IMO, I don't think Led Zepplin should have been there.I am astonished that Buddy Guy hasn't received recognition like this before. He is a giant, a true legend.

Was also astonished at the mediocrities in the audience: Mary Hart? Really? And Kyle MacLachlan? WTF.

by Anonymousreply 3612/27/2012

To previous posters: Led Zeppelin definitely DESERVED to be there. I discovered Zeppelin in 1973, when I was a wee eight-year-old gayling, and they have been a constant in my life ever since. I was lucky enough to see them in concert in 1977 in Dallas, and it remains the single greatest live show I have ever seen. I know some people were offended because they thought Liza or Bette or Cher should have been there instead. I take nothing away from the "divas", but Zeppelin definitely WAS worthy of the honor, guys. Peace out.

by Anonymousreply 3712/27/2012

The tribute to Zeppelin was terrific.

by Anonymousreply 3812/27/2012

r14, I assume you were referring to me.

But there is nothing in r13's post I disagree with. He correctly pointed out that DH is not as capable as Streep, and of course he's not.

DeNiro, Pacino and DH each had 3-4 great performances in them, but they all gave up quickly, and have run on fumes ever since. Either because of laziness, greed, or because their talent is actually lesser than commonly held.

Streep, of course, has churned out quality work for 35 years now.

OP is absolutey right. The bar is much higher for women.

In any case, belated Meryl Christmas to everybody !!

by Anonymousreply 3912/27/2012

I loved Heart's tribute to Led Zeppelin. Ann can still belt 'em out. My boy Robert Plant was obviously moved, as well. I agree with the earlier post that Zep's recognition was well deserved and long overdue.

by Anonymousreply 4012/27/2012

"Gene Hackman should have been there for Dsty. They are old friends and former roommates from back in the old days. I wonder if Gene is il? "

Yes, he is reportedly no longer able to work or appear in public.

by Anonymousreply 4112/27/2012

Ann-Margaret?? What a crackpot loon R17 is.

Absolutely ridiculous - Ann-Margaret.

That goes for Mary Tyler Moore too. But that was thoroughly discussed in the last Kennedy Ctr Honors thread. R17 was probably his crackpot self in the last thread harping endlessly about how Mary Tyler Moore should be honored. Idiocy.

by Anonymousreply 4212/27/2012

R39, please don't place Pacino with DeNiro and Dustin Hoffman.

Pacino does theater regularly and frequently and does it magnificently. And has done theater for many, many decades.

Neither DeNiro nor Hoffman do theater. And both do lowbrow, very mediocre films.

Dustin Hoffman is also a nothing. Vastly over-rated.

by Anonymousreply 4312/27/2012

Here's an interview of Hoffman talking about being perceived unfairly as difficult; he touches on Bill Murray and Gene Hackman, both who were difficult:

by Anonymousreply 4412/27/2012

Apropos another thread, why hasn't Shirley Temple ever been awarded? She practically single-handedly lifted America out of The Great Depression.

Or do we think she turned it down for some reason?

by Anonymousreply 4512/27/2012

I had no problem with any of the honorees, but the show has become too "Cute" and celebrity driven to be really enjoyable anymore.

Even the film clips of the honorees careers have become lame.

by Anonymousreply 4612/27/2012

The Zep tribute was definitely the highlight.

He'll even Plant himself got misty-eyed.

The Wilson sisters still have it..

The Obama's were totally rocking out.

I wonder who chooses the musical talent?

by Anonymousreply 4712/27/2012

Ann and Nancy Wilson still fucking rock. Age has not diminished them one bit.

by Anonymousreply 4812/27/2012

R17, if you couldn't be bothered to learn that Buddy Guy, whom you describe as the "black, stereotypical jazz musician," defines Chicago BLUES, then kindly fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 4912/27/2012

I think Led Zeppelin sucks and shouldn't have been included.

by Anonymousreply 5012/28/2012

[quote]Streep, of course, has churned out quality work for 35 years now.

Oh yes, "The River Wild" was top notch. Meryl tries to make a movie that men would be interested in a la Deliverance.

If you could stay awake during "Out of Africa" or "The Bridges of Madison County" you might have seen 5 seconds of truthful acting.

"Doubt" and "Devil Wears Prada" were one note bitch roles. No subtlety in them at all.

"Dancing at Lughnasa" she creates her own Irish accent completely different from the four other actresses playing her sisters.

"She Devil" well we won't even go there.

And her attempts at portraying real people, Margaret Thatcher and Julia Child, turned into caricatures.

by Anonymousreply 5112/28/2012

R50 - Don't like us? I can cast spells, son. Don't say I didn't warn you. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 5212/28/2012

Can you imagine the uproar if it were four women and one man? We'd probably never hear the end of it.

by Anonymousreply 5312/28/2012

R53 - We promise, promise, promise that next year we will honor five women and NO MEN AT ALL. Sleep well.

by Anonymousreply 5412/28/2012

R45, Shirley Temple Black received the honor in 1998.

by Anonymousreply 5512/28/2012

Thank you, R54. It's about time.

by Anonymousreply 5612/28/2012

'Can you imagine the uproar if it were four women and one man?'

As someone posted earlier, four times three women and two men were honored. I watched all those TV broadcasts and barely noticed, so why a problem with one more woman?

by Anonymousreply 5712/28/2012

Shirley Temple is a much beloved figure world wide. Here is the 2nd half of an Oscar winner reunion. Gregory Peck and Shirley get the most applause.

by Anonymousreply 5812/29/2012

"Absolutely ridiculous - Ann-Margaret."

You're right. Two oscar nominations. Five Emmy nominations and one win. Two grammy nominations.

David Letterman has a much broader and thicker resume.

by Anonymousreply 5912/29/2012

Dave is on CBS and has been for many years; he has been for many years. The program is on CBS; it has been for many years. Les and Julie sit in the Presidential box. You do the math.

by Anonymousreply 6012/29/2012

Just watching this tonight on DVR.

The Buddy Guy tribute was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 6112/29/2012

Ann-Margret was not only a phenomenal talent, but she oozed sensuality. As a teenager, I saw her with Elvis Presley in Viva Las Vegas and, to this day, I think they exuded more sexuality between the two of them than any other movie couple before or since.

by Anonymousreply 6212/29/2012

I'm still waiting for Jane Fonda to be finally recognized with both the Kennedy Center Honor AND the AFI Life Achievement Award! It's those right-wing motherfuckers who are holding things up!

by Anonymousreply 6312/29/2012

Jane Fonda should be honored. But, she has tended to put her marriages first, so doesn't have quite the span of film and stage work that she would have otherwise had at age 75.

by Anonymousreply 6412/30/2012

FOUR women? It's almost 2013! Of course not!

by Anonymousreply 6512/30/2012

Will I ever have a year when I give a shit? I'm guessing NO.

by Anonymousreply 6612/30/2012

So, who do you think will be honored eventually? Let's say they're too young now, don't have a big enough body of work, or whatever. I pick-

Audra McDonald

Tony Kushner

George Clooney

by Anonymousreply 6712/30/2012

Ann and Nancy Wilson are NATIONAL FUCKING TREASURES, bitches!

That version of Stairway To Heaven was fucking FLAW. LESS. Ann tore the shit out of that song.

I love this so much. And I was never a big Zep fan...but this was amazing. 62 fucking years old and that big bitch can still sing the FUCK out of this song. You GO, girl!

by Anonymousreply 6812/30/2012

ANN Wilson? I thought that was Carnie Wilson!

by Anonymousreply 6912/30/2012

ITA, r68. 62 year-old Ann Wilson puts the current pop tarts to shame. At her age, she can still belt and sound flawless. She sounds exactly the same as she did 30 years ago. Now that's talent, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 7012/30/2012

R69 - When that bitch can sing like THAT, I wouldn't care if she was 500 pounds. I'd still get off of MY ass to give her a standing ovation.

by Anonymousreply 7112/30/2012

Only eldergays are impressed with has-beens like her. The true talent is in real stars like Nicki Minaj and the current crop of divas, who cannot be touched as far as sheer talent and star quality.

by Anonymousreply 7212/30/2012

[quote]Yes, he is reportedly no longer able to work or appear in public.

Where did you hear that? He lives in New Mexico for most of the year and is fine. A few months ago he slapped around a homeless guy who called his wife a cunt. Alexander Payne has been trying to coax him out of retirement for a movie he wrote specifically for Hackman.

by Anonymousreply 7312/30/2012

[quote] The true talent is in real stars like Nicki Minaj and the current crop of divas, who cannot be touched as far as sheer talent and star quality.

Nicki Minaj is a talentless noisemaker. If you think she's talented, you clearly have no taste, no brain, no sense and no rhythm. Fake vocals like Minaj isn't singing, it's a vibrator with a beat.

by Anonymousreply 7412/30/2012

[quote] Yes, he is reportedly no longer able to work or appear in public.

I think Hackman is being confused with Jack Nicholson, who reportedly is in the early stages of dementia and is unlikely to appear in another movie.

by Anonymousreply 7501/02/2013

LED FUCKING ZEPPELIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They should honor them again next year, goddammit.

by Anonymousreply 7601/02/2013

Led Zeppelin's songs are dated, boring and strictly hetero. They suck

by Anonymousreply 7701/02/2013

R77, waiting for WHAM?

by Anonymousreply 7801/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.