Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Looking for help from a computer whiz new computer, XP to Windows 8

I purchased a new computer with windows 8. After reading and looking at the book etc. and reading on line I am less concerned about the learning curve than before. I am using my XP machine, have the new one set up in another room and taking my time before setting it up. I use Norton antivirus software with back up. Have figured out how to download to my new computer. MY question is, how good of an idea is it to transfer everything from an old computer to a new one as opposed to restoring the data on the same computer that lost it for one reason or another? I only store a couple hundred pictures, no other data really but I most want is my bookmarks. Seems to me all the other crap on the computer will download to the new one. Any errors or problems will also download. I am using foxfire but also have IE and Google Chrome. I want to try the new explorer before going back to foxfire. Would the old explorer overwrite the new explorer or would I end up with both of them. My chrome is screwed up so would transfer still screwed up. I can delete the chrome, but that data has already been saved by Norton.?????? Would appreciate any advice or things I should be cautious of. Would it be better to start fresh and transfer photos and book marks a little at a time. There is no time frame that I need to have the new computer up and running. I also have a 13" macbook to use if I need it, although I have never gotten used to the Apple world.

by Anonymousreply 1112/30/2012

[quote] I am using foxfire but also have IE and Google Chrome. I want to try the new explorer before going back to foxfire.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 112/26/2012

Oh dear WHAT?

by Anonymousreply 212/26/2012

Just copy the files in your documents, pictures, and music folders into the corresponding folders on your new pc.

I'm really not sure what you're talking about in the rest of your message.

You definitely should not copy program files.

by Anonymousreply 312/27/2012

You said what you want most of all is your bookmarks. You don't even need to transfer your bookmarks over. Firefox has a feature called "Firefox Sync." Sign up, and just log into it on Firefox on your old computer, then log into it on Firefox on your new computer. The link at the bottom of this post tells you how to do that. Other than that, do what R3 says.

by Anonymousreply 412/27/2012

Just copy the file from your documents, pictures, videos, and music folders into the corresponding folders on your new computer.

You can export your address book, favorites/bookmarks, email accounts, and email messages, and import them into applications on your new computer.

Do NOT copy applications or program files.

Beyond that, I can't decipher most of what you wrote, so I don't really know how to answer you.

by Anonymousreply 512/27/2012

Good God

Simply start your new computer

RE-INSTALL all your programs on your new computer.

Copy your files from your XP to your WIN8. Use a flash drive or CD to do this

IE10 is in Beta so you have to ask for that specially.

Use Microsoft Security Essentials as your antivirus. It's free

Use Malwarebytes Antimalware as well. Use their free version. It is a supplement to any virus detector.

Norton is full of bloat so lose it.

Then go to the library and get a book and learn to use your Mac. People like you are too dangerous to be using a Windows machine.

by Anonymousreply 612/27/2012

R6, IE10 is built in to Windows 8. And it's not in beta there (only on Windows 7 is it in beta).

And you can't and shouldn't install Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 8... again, it's built in, as "Windows Defender", and covers more stuff.

Definitely agree with losing Norton. Same goes for McAffee. They're completely unnecessary on Windows 8.

by Anonymousreply 712/28/2012

I'm glad I'm in Europe we get a choice.

by Anonymousreply 812/28/2012

What is "XP"?

by Anonymousreply 912/28/2012

We get a choice in the US too.

IE10 is fine, btw. Nothing wrong with it. We can install Chrome and/or Firefox and/or Opera too.

Only a fool would ever install Safari on Windows.

by Anonymousreply 1012/28/2012

"XP" is an ancient, primitive Version of Windows that needs to die.

by Anonymousreply 1112/30/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!