Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Should I Be Offended

This past weekend, I went to purchase an expensive bottle of champagne for a Christmas gift (parents), and the staff was oddly unhelpful. I wanted a bottle of Dom Perignon, but all I could find were significantly cheaper options. When I asked if the establishment carried additional brands of champagne, I was directed to 3 different areas where I could try. One of those areas was "in the back," so when I asked to see them, I was told that that's just where the wine is stored. Yet, when I asked where the Dom Perignon was kept (I couldn't find it), I was told it was in the back (?!).

Anyway, the guy "helping" me finally got a bottle of the Dom Perignon, and since he had spent a good deal of time trying to steer me toward cheaper options, I asked him if it truly tastes any different from Bollinger or Perrier Jouet. The asshole emphatically insisted that Dom Perignon tasted much better, but it made me wonder why he was making the sale so difficult.

I'm black and somewhat inclined to assume that this establishment was skeptical that I could just waltz into their store (located in Georgetown, DC) and buy a $150 bottle of champagne. Still, the hoops I had to jump through were pretty embarrassing and I can't shake the feeling that I should have left without making a purchase. Am I overreacting by feeling offended?

by Anonymousreply 6112/29/2012

It would offend me.

by Anonymousreply 112/26/2012

Pissy shopbottoms probably lose a lot of sales by acting like that. Even people who make a lot of money don't radiate "wealthy" all of the time.

In saying that, it probably wasn't you. The staff are probably just disinterested 24-7 and you got the standard treatment,

by Anonymousreply 212/26/2012

[quote]This past weekend, I went to purchase an expensive bottle of champagne for a Christmas gift

THREAD CLOSED.

by Anonymousreply 312/26/2012

Black, or black black?

by Anonymousreply 412/26/2012

I had a bit of difficulty once at the Williams-Sonoma shop on 7th Ave. convincing the clerk that I was looking for a CO2 cartridge and not the nitrous oxide cartridges that he just "knew" I really wanted.

by Anonymousreply 512/26/2012

After he gave you the bottle, you should have dead panned, "I'd like to put this on layaway."

by Anonymousreply 612/26/2012

Is it possible they have a limited supply of Dom Perignom especially at this time of year and want to save it for their best customers? Maybe they expect to get a tip for that particular product.

by Anonymousreply 712/26/2012

This wreaks of nouveau riche! And you asked a commoner for their opinion of the taste?? What WERE you thinking??

by Anonymousreply 812/26/2012

Were you dressed nicely?

by Anonymousreply 912/26/2012

[quote]Am I overreacting by feeling offended?

Yes. You clearly know nothing about Champagne if you think Dom Perignon is the best. The salesperson was *trying* to steer you to a better brand (Bollinger is certainly superior as a whole), but I'm guessing you left out the part where you absolutely insisted on Dom, so finally he gave in.

by Anonymousreply 1012/26/2012

Since when do salespeople try to sell you *cheaper* anything?

by Anonymousreply 1112/26/2012

They assumed you really wanted Cristal.

by Anonymousreply 1212/26/2012

Georgetown, hmm...

Was this at Dixie Liquors right across from the Key Bridge?

by Anonymousreply 1312/26/2012

Why would you ask to "see" it? Are you going to make up your decision based on how pretty the bottle is?

He probably thought you were wasting his time.

by Anonymousreply 1412/26/2012

For the couple of weeks before the holiday, the wine store in my neighborhood has tons of extra help that I never see the whole rest of the year. They are not particularly helpful, and clearly do not know the stock very well. I suspect they are relatives of the owners, pressed into service for the big holiday rush.

I wonder if you encountered someone like that.

by Anonymousreply 1512/26/2012

Why would you spend $150 on something you will literally piss away in an hour?

by Anonymousreply 1612/26/2012

You should be embarrassed about using the term "establishment" to refer to a store and for paying for a very expensive bottle of wine when you don't know what distinguishes one champagne from the other.

You just paid for the label and the right to say "this bottle cost $150". I hope your parents have more knowledge of champagne, because a fine champagne isn't worth the extra cost if you are not already somewhat familiar with champagnes. You have nothing to compare it to and there are plenty less expensive choices that would have been lovely.

by Anonymousreply 1712/26/2012

The French laugh at Americans who pay premium prices for Dom Perignon, which is branded as some spectacular champagne when in reality it's very ordinary, and not expensive at all in France.

by Anonymousreply 1812/26/2012

What are some other good champagnes and California sparkling wines?

by Anonymousreply 1912/26/2012

"This wreaks of nouveau riche! "

The word you wanted was "reeks", which means "smells bad".

by Anonymousreply 2012/26/2012

[quote]it's very ordinary, and not expensive at all in France.

Ordinary? Perhaps. Not expensive? I doubt that.

by Anonymousreply 2112/26/2012

I like the "put this on layaway" response!

I'd be offended. Who acts like this?

by Anonymousreply 2212/26/2012

I like plain old Piper Sonoma.

by Anonymousreply 2312/26/2012

Did you then make it rain?

by Anonymousreply 2412/26/2012

Were they confused by the fact that you kept asking for a bottle of "Don Pear-egg-ron"?

by Anonymousreply 2512/26/2012

[quote] Did you then make it rain?

ROFL.... All I can imagine in my head is Marlo from RHOAtlanta making it rain in that South African nightclub!

by Anonymousreply 2612/26/2012

In the words of the very wise Edina Monsoon when faced with a condescending assistant at an art gallery "you only work in a shop"

by Anonymousreply 2712/26/2012

OP next time go to Trader Joes and get any Heidsick brand. Roderer is also very good. These are in the $20 to $40 range. Tattinger is good too. Save the money and buy some flowers or cakes instead.

by Anonymousreply 2812/26/2012

I wouldn't take it too hard, they were probably temporary work.

There really are better champagnes, but that's not the point.

Anyway - I love R26, but I was thinking of Kenya Moore. You should have twirled your chiffon and said "Gone with the Wind Fabulous! OKAY!" and walked out of the store.

Fuckin' loved that.

by Anonymousreply 2912/26/2012

You can get Dom at Costco for less. And it comes in the gift box.

by Anonymousreply 3012/26/2012

Are you Mariah Carey black, Tiger Woods Black, Obama black, The Rock black, Fresh Prince black or Matthew Rush black?

by Anonymousreply 3112/27/2012

I'm Wesley Snipes black.

by Anonymousreply 3212/27/2012

I'll bet you could've spared yourself and just bought that on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 3312/27/2012

[R34] More like a gentleman dealing with an obnoxious white bitch much like yourself.

by Anonymousreply 3512/27/2012

You think you're offended, my husband got me a pair of "active slacks" for Christmas.

I am planning on dumping him before New Years Eve.

by Anonymousreply 3612/27/2012

Active slacks. Ouch.

by Anonymousreply 3712/27/2012

R12 beat me to it.

by Anonymousreply 3812/27/2012

He was probably to lazy to go in the back and get it.

by Anonymousreply 3912/27/2012

[R32] Are you looking for a date?

by Anonymousreply 4012/27/2012

Dom varies by the year, as with all wines. I've had very mediocre to absolutely incredible....and the only difference; the year of harvest.

by Anonymousreply 4112/27/2012

Life's to short to be offended; just live!

by Anonymousreply 4212/27/2012

Not offended. Just perplexed why people are so stupid. By helping you to what you wanted from the onset they could have saved time, energy and by delaying to direct you to a very expensive purchase they almost lost it. What the fuck?

by Anonymousreply 4412/27/2012

How come nobody wants to date a guy who has moved into the "active slacks" stage of his life?

by Anonymousreply 4512/27/2012

Racist activity. But you were pronouncing the overrates "Perignon" to rhyme with "Ferrigno," which didn't help.

by Anonymousreply 4612/27/2012

If it FELT like you were being steered or given the runaround, there was probably some truth to it. It happens every day...and by people who have no reason to be racist, other than the fact that they CAN be.

It's people who'd rather show how superior they are than make money (like the Annapolis trolley folks).

If the store has a website, I'd send them a note describing your experience, and go elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 4712/27/2012

op as a white guy I can tell you that bad service exists for all of us.

I don't know shit about champagne, but if I asked for a certain bottle, i would expect to have it shown to me. If someone had a better idea or better information, I would expect that to be related in a polite way as a function of customer service.

I completely understand why you might assume any slight might be an issue of race because in all honesty it could be an aspect of the treatment you got.

Since you asked, I don't think you are reacting in a weird way at all. You received bad substandard service when you were trying to spend a significant amount of cash on a luxury item. That should never have happened.

But as a white male I get similarly bad service from time to time, and I have felt how you felt. I always say something about it, and that usually gets a better result.

Just so you know white people also treat other white people like shit. It might be more about financial class than race or it could be both.

I think you could drive yourself crazy wondering about the motivation. What you probably should have done was say something to the manager and then depending on the response either go somewhere else or just leave.

In the future the best policy is to politely and effectively refuse to tolerate bad service. WHATEVER the reason, whether they are racists or just shitty employees their job is to SERVE the customer and if you aren't getting that service, complain or go somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 4812/27/2012

R48 - very well said. Bad service does happen to everyone.

And conversely - rude customers come in all shades of the rainbow and all ages.

by Anonymousreply 4912/27/2012

Don't try to put on you're rich by buying Dom Perignon or Piper Heidsieck. That shows how shallow and pretentious you are trying to impress people by buying them over-priced stuff that is not in your financial income level (or likely theirs).

Just buy them a bottle of Korbel. It tastes EXACTLY like Dom Perignon for like $100 less a bottle than what you paid for that Perignon.

Do you realize with the money you blew on that bottle of Perignon you could have fed a couple of homeless families???

Think about that the next time you throw away money!

by Anonymousreply 5112/27/2012

[quote]It tastes EXACTLY like Dom Perignon

That's absurd.

by Anonymousreply 5212/27/2012

7 Up tastes EXACTLY like Dom Perignon

by Anonymousreply 5312/27/2012

Just shows what I know. I would have gone for a bottle of Bollinger. Too much Ab Fab I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 5412/27/2012

OP....seems like a stuck-up staff, I would have gone somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 5512/27/2012

Next time buy Dom Ruinart. It's much better and 1/3 the price.

by Anonymousreply 5612/27/2012

OP, you sound like a pretentious twat. Next time ask for a Dom De Louise

by Anonymousreply 5712/27/2012

Every time I am mistreated by a retail clerk, I assume it is because I am an overweight, unkempt woman.

by Anonymousreply 5812/27/2012

This is why we need to arm black people!

by Anonymousreply 5912/27/2012

Maybe this scenario is similar to Red Dragon cheese? Only a few scant bottles of Dom left and there had to be enough for the serious regulars and those who are serious enough?

Sorry. I haven't searched the thread to see if this already came up. I'm a tired and tipsy, but that's my contribution FWIW.

by Anonymousreply 6012/29/2012

[italic]Ignoring the usual racist trolls posting their yawn-inducing "yucks" (I guess the NRA isn't fussy who it employs to do their online bidding).[/italic]

Regarding your choice of champagne, OP, Dom Perignon is a very fine choice and you were right to persevere despite the unhelpful salesbottom. Dom and Krug are able to charge a premium for their products because they have a well-deserved reputation for producing wines of the highest quality.

It's true that you can get other very fine champagnes and methode champenoise sparkling wines for a lot less money but you will never be disappointed by a bottle of Dom.

by Anonymousreply 6112/29/2012
Need more help? Click Here.