Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Bjork Ever Going To Make A Great Album Again?

Vespertine (don't give me that bs that that was a great album), Medulla, reVolta, and then Biophilia -- will this bitch drop the pretentiousness already?! Her crap sounds like coffee house shit... someone playing the bongos, while she just recites jibberish with no melody.

How many albums is she going to work with Mark Bell on?

She was so awesome back in the day.

When I look back at her first three solo albums (sans that one when she was a little kid), it's insane how the woman who wrote those monstrous classics now writes shit like "Dark Matter."

Her diehard fanbase, the one she steals money from by re-releasing the same old shit over and over and over again, hated Biophilia in the beginning, then forced themselves to love it. I see that with a lot of fanbases.

I blame her boyfriend (and baby daddy), Matthew Barney. His crap that he tries to pass off as art reminds me very much of the crap Bjork turns out today.

"Medulla" should have been Bjork's "experimental" album, and then left it at that. I don't mind an experimental album from time to time, but that's all she does today, and it falls flat. It's all gimmicks like just vocals, or just brass. It harms the songs since she's trying to keep within the gimmick. She's not giving the songs the instrumentation they need to work. She just released "Bastards," the remix album to Biophilia. It actually makes SOME of the songs listenable. A lot of people are saying that.

Her work is just in a funk. It's all nature, pagan, brass, M/M artwork, Mark Bell, Sjon, etc. She took Mark Bell's old instrumental, and made "Declare Independence" out of it, the tenth, and last song on "Volta." It's not even original work now.

What happened to her music videos? She hardly makes them anymore. Look at the "Earth Intruders" music video. She just inserted her head singing with a cartoon surrounding it. She used to be a music video pioneer.

Her music video for "Wanderlust" (2007) was a pile of crap too. The song itself was the poorman's version of one of her earlier pop tunes. That video took almost a year to produce. They even hit Craigslist for volunteers.

She got a whole bunch of money a few years ago, along with an award, and she blew all the money making this current album, and paying for tech-heads to create the apps for it. She took 4 years to record Biophilia.

Are you a fan of 2000s/early 2010s Bjork? If not, do you think she'll ever get her mojo back? She was pop. Let's cut the crap.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 5801/27/2013

Possibly not. I remember saying the same thing about Rickie Lee Jones ten years ago, when she kept putting out a series of lazy, weak, slurring-voiced albums that had none of the spark or soulful moments of her first three way back in the early 80s.

Same is probably true of Bjork. We just aren't going to get songs like Hyperballad again.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 112/26/2012

I will always adore Bjork, and her first four proper albums are all flat-out classics, but I do think her best days as a musician are probably behind her.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 212/26/2012

"Vespertine" only has a few good songs.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 312/26/2012

Every Björk album has tracks I like. On Biophilia it's Moon, Crystalline, Cosmology, and Mutual Core.

The Remix Album Bastard features a kick ass remix for Crystalline called Crystalline Omar Souleyman Remix.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 412/27/2012

ups. The track is called Cosmogony.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 512/27/2012

She should have stayed with the Sugar Cubes.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 612/27/2012

I just don't waste my time on her (check out her new releases via Youtube/iTunes/and such, but won't buy them), but I can't not still adore her thanks to her early solo legacy. It's very sad.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 712/27/2012

Hard to say, it looks as if both Tori Amos and PJ Harvey are the same. As soon as 1999 hit all their work took a sharp nose dive, as with Bjork .

I think Bjork, Amos and Harvey have just lost their direction, they are too obsessed with concept records.

I don't think it is age, since Kristen Hersh is still making brilliant music, her new song Secret Codes, is as good as ever. Lisa Germano's new album No Elephants looks set to be some of her best work.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 812/27/2012

It's karma. She's never been the same after killing that swan

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 912/27/2012

[quote]I don't think it is age, since Kristen Hersh is still making brilliant music, her new song Secret Codes, is as good as ever.

You mean, American Copper. And it's KRISTIN.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 1012/27/2012

"Again"?

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 1112/27/2012

The only interesting thing she still has in her is Matthew Barney's penis.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 1212/27/2012

He's such a twat. He used to be a JC Penny model or something. It's so frigging funny. Such a poser.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 1312/28/2012

I could not agree more OP.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 1412/28/2012

I actually enjoyed "Earth Intruders." That's bout it.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 1512/28/2012

Did you ever see Drawing Restraint 9 with her and Matthew Barney? Ugh...

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 1612/28/2012

Art is subjective. You surely can't accuse Bjork for being one of those artists who release the same pop music over and over again.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 1712/28/2012

Pop music is stretch for her.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 1812/28/2012

I liked Vespertine (her last great album).

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 1912/28/2012

Bjork's music (even a lot of her more mainstream music) has always been somewhat of an acquired taste. I agree with R17 and give her props for following her artistic vision but at this point she's only appealing to a very small niche of her fanbase.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 2012/28/2012

After her first four albums I lost interest in Björk when she just kept releasing records with strange experimental "soundscapes".

When I heard that she was childishly difficult on the set of "Dancer in the Dark" and after her punching a woman journalist at an airport I stopped listening to her new stuff.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 2112/29/2012

[quote]You surely can't accuse Bjork for being one of those artists who release the same pop music over and over again.

She's been doing the same album for a decade now, and none of them are pop.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 2212/29/2012

When I heard that she was childishly difficult on the set of "Dancer in the Dark"

She was working with Lars Von Trier who by reputation at least treats his actresses worse than any director since Hitchcock.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 2312/30/2012

[quote]Hard to say, it looks as if both Tori Amos and PJ Harvey are the same. As soon as 1999 hit all their work took a sharp nose dive, as with Bjork

Scarlet's Walk, released in 2002, is actually one of Tori's best if not the best album.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 2412/30/2012

Her last good album was Vespertine. Matthew Barney is to Bjork as Yoko Ono was to John Lennon. Except Matthew Barney's art sucks.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 2512/30/2012

Loved her 20 years ago. Now, I just can't stand her elf-womanchild autistic spazzy antics. AND I really don't like her voice, it's so affected.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 2612/30/2012

beautiful.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 2712/30/2012

[quote]Rickie Lee Jones

Now there's someone who deserves to be in the "Great Forgotten Songs" thread.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 2812/30/2012

PJ Harvey is still releasing relevant music. "Let England Shake" from 2011 was a great record as was its predecessor, "White Chalk."

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 2912/30/2012

Funny...

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 3001/02/2013

Giving birth always destroys a woman's artistic creativity.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 3101/02/2013

r31, Bjork had a kid in the 1980s. She didn't become a solo artist until the 1990s, and there she created her ground-breaking work.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 3201/03/2013

To think All is Full of Love is regarded as the best video of the 90s.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 3301/05/2013

It is so sad to think shit like Beyonce's Single Ladies is now thought to be the best video, of all time. How low brow and vulgar a generation got in 10 years.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 3401/05/2013

In those 10 years music changed drastically, how it is sold, bought, uploaded. L ables have to appeal to the lowest common denominator - sex mixed with unintelligent, easy music for the masses.

Artist like Bjork and Polly Harvey have been sidelined because they are too mentally challenging and musically difficult for generation bling to listen to.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 3501/05/2013

I don't think Bjork is too "mentally challenging"; she sounds like a mongoloid singing with her affected childwoman voice.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 3601/05/2013

She hasn't been the same since a deranged Hispanic fan sent her an acid bomb meant to go off in her face. He recorded his plans and his own suicide. Chilling. Around the same time she went ballistic and attacked a welcoming female fan at an airport in Asia. She also can't accept that she is not fully caucasian and lies about her background. Her days in the public eye are over. How old is she now?

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 3701/05/2013

Does anyone know anything about her health since her vocal surgery? I know she had nodes removed from her vocal chords, and heard 1) it was from years of singing improperly and hurting her instrument and 2) if she's ever gonna sing again, she's going to have to develop a completely new technique.

I hope she recovers. I'm curious to see what she does next.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 3801/05/2013

[quote]It is so sad to think shit like Beyonce's Single Ladies is now thought to be the best video, of all time.

You are kidding, right?

There is no set...it is just a plain white background with three women dancing (badly).

Hardly comparable to videos like "Thriller," "Express Yourself," "November Rain" or even Bjork's "Human Nature."

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 3901/05/2013

There's no debating that her style has never been the same since post-Homogenic. That said, Vespertine and Medulla were great albums, if very different from what came before. Great stuff.

Volta was good but came so close to being another pop masterpiece before falling short. There's too much weird shit on the back end of the album. And I can take weird shit from Bjork, but after 3 crazy albums one needs a lift.

Biophilia has a handful of good tracks. But the one I listen to most is the fantastic Souleyman remix of Crystaline. The rest is atonal noise.

I'll always love her, and unlike Tori Amos she is a genius doing her own thing which is unique and at least interesting. (I loved Tori when I was a teen, but until that neat classical album a year ago she'd been making the same droning, interminable easy listening album at least 4 times since the great heights of To Venus And Back) But I think Bjork's spent long enough in the wilderness. I do think it's time for her to go back to some high pop.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 4001/05/2013

[quote]or even Bjork's "Human Nature."

I think you mean "Human Behaviour" from her album "Debut" where the video was directed by Michel Gondry.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 4101/05/2013

Oops...my bad.

Though my fave Bjork video will always be "Bachelorette."

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 4201/05/2013

She had a cool video recently - the one for "Mutual Core" is really neat.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 4301/05/2013

r43, it's still boring as fuck, and the same shit she's been doing for a decade. It's basically a performance video where she sits/stands and does nothing.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 4401/05/2013

I am surprised that her record company backs her financially and even produce promo videos for Biophilia. Guess there are still some record companies who keep credible artists just to make themselves look credible.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 4501/05/2013

"and attacked a welcoming female fan at an airport in Asia"

Wrong.

It was a paparazza (female paparazzo), and not a fan. And she was pestering her son, which set Bjork off.

You may carry on now.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 4601/06/2013

I agree her videos are shit now. Her music is pretentious to the max, regardless of the conceptual idea behind it.

Concept albums only work if the music is interesting.

Her music is lazy, and she has run out of ideas.

Madonna gets a lot of crap on DL, but Bjork is as much a collage artist as Madonna is, and always has been. Both of them used their techniques to great effect, co-working with other artists; and both of them have run out of steam.

Both of them won't accept that, and they are both unable to reboot their systems.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 4701/06/2013

Bjork's son is supposedly in an indie band now in Iceland. I think he's in his early-mid twenties now.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 4801/06/2013

"Biophilia has a handful of good tracks. But the one I listen to most is the fantastic Souleyman remix of Crystaline. The rest is atonal noise."

r40, if 'the rest is atonal noise', how can Biophilia have 'a handful of good tracks'?

You make no sense. And you sound like a fan as described by OP, forcing themselves to like her unlikable music, all schizo style.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 4901/06/2013

I just listened to Biophilia, and it's truly boring.

'Mutual Core' could have been a good song, had she edited the self-indulgent wailing and the slow parts.

The rest feels like a chore to listen to.

And the remix of 'Crystaline' mentioned by r40, although not half bad, is too generic for repeated listening.

Tori Amos at her worst is better than drivel such as Biophilia.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 5001/08/2013

I love Biophilia. That and Tori Amos' Night of Hunters album were my favorite albums during the Christmas holiday season last year.

To me I like the touch of whimsy mixed with Bjork's elf voice.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 5101/08/2013

[quote]Madonna gets a lot of crap on DL, but Bjork is as much a collage artist as Madonna is, and always has been.

At least Bjork can sing.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 5201/08/2013

r52, Bjork's voice gets tiresome too on the wrong tracks, e.g. the stripped down stuff on Biophilia.

It works on dance/techno songs, though.

And Madonna's vocal range may be limited, but her singing is occasionally quite charming, e.g. the entire Ray of Light album or Evita.

I much prefer her voice than Bjork pushing the grating elfin vocals on pretentious shit like Biophilia.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 5301/08/2013

Will Madonna ever make a great album again? She should run back to Stuart Price and record a followup to Confessions.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 5401/08/2013

[quote]Will Madonna ever make a great album again? She should run back to Stuart Price and record a followup to Confessions.

You mean record a teen pop album again, and try to get a hit by sampling the entire hook of an old 70s song, while rehashing lyrics from 20 years prior? Stuart Price couldn't produce a hit album after that one. That was Madonna's embarrassing damage control album. She worked with Britney Spears' producers for Christ's sake. Most of her fans don't even listen to it anymore, but this thread is about Bjork.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 5501/08/2013

Biophilia is as boring as college textbook. Is Bjork so far gone she believes kids will actually listen to that album and become interested in the so called educational subject matter? The album sounds like it was recorded on super low budget equipment in a garage somewhere in Iceland.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 5601/08/2013

Joanna Newsom and Sharon van Etten are taking up the mantel that Bjork and Harvey onec did.

Newsom particularly is raising the bar incredibly high. She is perhaps the most important person in music right now.

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 5701/09/2013

"Bjork had a kid in the 1980s. She didn't become a solo artist until the 1990s, and there she created her ground-breaking work."

Clearly you are not much of fan, Bjork had ANOTHER child, a daughter, Isadora, with Matthew Barney in October of 2002. She has TWO children.

"Björk and her partner, artist Matthew Barney, have a daughter, Ísadóra Bjarkardóttir Barney, born 3 October 2002. Björk also has a son, Sindri Eldon Thórsson, born 8 June 1986, with Thór Eldon, who was her band mate in the Sugarcubes. Sindri is a journalist and has his own solo project simply called "Sindri Eldon."

Bjork was actually married to Thór Eldon.

IIRC, she said in an old interview that the government in Iceland, at the time, were paying young people to have babies because the population was dwindling! If she was inferring that money was the main reason for having her first kid, well, I hope her son never reads that interview!

by Matthew Barney's tiny cockreply 5801/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.