Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Princess Beatrice and Eugenie Off The Royal Pay-Roll & Rent-Free Housing. No more freebies for them!

In yet another humiliation for Prince Andrew's dynasty, he is to be required to pay rent on the royal apartment occupied by his children, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, after their ousting from the family firm.

Still, its not a bad deal - he is only having to cough up about $30,000 to allow his two daughters Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie to stay on in a four-bedroom apartment in the heart of London at St James’s Palace, according to The Daily Express's Richard Palmer.

Beatrice, 24, and Eugenie, 22, lost their taxpayer funded bodyguards and were excluded from the Jubilee balcony appearance by Prince Charles earlier this year. Charles is determined to 'slim down' the monarchy, and the the fifth and sixth in line to the throne have been told they must get jobs and will not be on the royal pay roll.

They have now been told they are no longer eligible to stay on rent-free in the attic apartment – which was refurbished at a cost to the taxpayer of £250,000 in 2008 – "because they have finished full-time education and do not undertake official royal duties on behalf of the Queen," says Palmer.

"They fall into the same category as Prince and Princess Michael of Kent, who for the past two years have been forced to pay £120,000 a year for their sumptuous Kensington Palace apartment after MPs objected to them living there rent-free.

"Buckingham Palace officials described that as the market value for the Michaels’ apartment. Andrew, however, is paying a fraction of the market rent for his daughters’ apartment. The London’s estate agents Savills estimated the market rent for a four-bedroom flat in an historic building in the St James’s area at between £100,000 and £150,000 per year."

by Anonymousreply 23806/16/2013

"Bummer, Beats!"

"You said it, U.G.!"

by Anonymousreply 112/26/2012

No, Fergie lives with Andrew.

Eu & Bea want to live in the fast lane in Central London.

by Anonymousreply 312/26/2012

I smell a sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 412/26/2012

All they have to do is sell their teeth for ivory, and they'll be set for life.

by Anonymousreply 512/26/2012

2 Broke Princesses

by Anonymousreply 612/26/2012

Be easy on Princess Trolley Dolly, Your Royal Highnesses. Too much curtseying will have the tastefully appointed furnishings at Sandringham covered in vomit!

by Anonymousreply 812/26/2012

I was about to ask about Princess Michael before I say they're being charged. Has there ever been a more accomplished moocher?

by Anonymousreply 912/26/2012

by Anonymousreply 1012/26/2012

Reality show time!

by Anonymousreply 1112/26/2012

Honestly, what kind of work are they supposed to do? It's not like they are trained to do anything. They should do what Princesses have always done. Marry a rich their case, a rich man that wants to be close to the throne.

by Anonymousreply 1212/26/2012

They could become madams.

by Anonymousreply 1312/26/2012

Well, given Beatrice and Eugenie's role models are a fat, indolent oaf and a grasping, freeloading tramp it's little wonder they ended up sponging off the public teat. Maybe Eugenie can get fat again and follow mum as a Weight Watchers spokesperson. The ugly, bug-eyed one will just have to marry some Saudi trash. Doesn't dad have contacts over there? His BFF is a billionaire pedophile, so he knows all the right people.

by Anonymousreply 1512/26/2012

Charles, as usual, is being a dick.

Andrew and Sarah ought to just remarry.

by Anonymousreply 1612/26/2012

Well, Bea could always become a milliner.

by Anonymousreply 1712/26/2012

Poor Beatrice; she has all the worst of the Windsor genes (she could pass for Queen Victoria's ugly twin) without any of the benefits of being a Royal (sponging off the taxpayer).

by Anonymousreply 1812/26/2012

She could become a milliner and OD on a prescription sleep aid!

by Anonymousreply 1912/26/2012

R20. Sarah and Andrew have never stopped living with each other. There is probably a part of each of them that regrets divorcing. They obviously must have feelings for one another. They're grown, they've matured. Why not be together; life it too short.

Sarah and Andrew should just remarry--and piss off Charles, who is the family's biggest asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2112/26/2012

[quote] "They fall into the same category as Prince and Princess Michael of Kent, who for the past two years have been forced to pay £120,000 a year for their sumptuous Kensington Palace apartment after MPs objected to them living there rent-free.

I think the queen pays their rent

by Anonymousreply 2212/26/2012

[quote]and piss off Charles, who is the family's biggest asshole.

I don't know. Have you seen the Wikileaks stuff about Prince Andrew? He is a money-grubbing creep who gives Prince Charles a run for the title.

by Anonymousreply 2312/26/2012

Isn't the home occupied by Fergie and Andrew actually divided up into two complete posh apartments?

Tom and Nicole are said to have had the same in their London home.

by Anonymousreply 2412/26/2012

She called Princess Michael of Cunt for a reason. She told a group of black diners in New York to 'go back to the colonies'. I presume she meant Africa.

by Anonymousreply 2512/26/2012

And Princess Margaret was probably worse. A racist, selfish, drunkard and a slut, as well as an incredibly rude snob of a woman. Thank goodness she wasn't born before Elizabeth.

by Anonymousreply 2712/26/2012

Now they need to do that will ALL of them.

by Anonymousreply 2812/26/2012

They are educated and have connections up the wazoo. They could easily get jobs in PR or management consulting or go the madam route. They could also make a living dishing gossip about their cousins to the tabs. Or they could cultivate friends for hire that give them money in exchange for access to clubs their cousins etc.

by Anonymousreply 2912/26/2012

R29, so in other words you see them taking after mom?

by Anonymousreply 3012/26/2012

Princess Michael is a useless cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3112/26/2012

Sarah and Andrew may very well re-wed but absolutely not until Prince Philip kicks. It will be a possibility then, as Andrew is his mother's favorite and he can then get approval from her.

The Kents had to sell their lavish country home to afford the market rent on the Kensington pad. Prince Michael does "business deals" with shady Russians to keep up their lifestyle since they're no longer on the Civil List.

by Anonymousreply 3212/26/2012

Good, they can eat a frozen dinner of bangers and mash like me

by Anonymousreply 3312/26/2012

Wait, I thought Andrew was gay and he and Fergie had an arrangement. I heard Edward was gay too. Also, I heard Prince Charles was gay. I believe I heard Prince Philip was gay as well. But the one I wanted was Prince George, Duke of Kent, Noel Coward's lover.

by Anonymousreply 3412/26/2012

OP it's about fucking time. now if he can add that sponger kate m to his list teh world will be a better place.

by Anonymousreply 3512/26/2012

For the record, Edward didn't have much say in choosing to raise his children without royal titles...The Queen made the decision for him. Besides, his son is a Viscount...if he truly refused titles for his children, then he wouldn't have a title.

by Anonymousreply 3612/26/2012

Edward didn't refuse titles; his daughter is a Lady. Anne did, though, and her children were all the better for it.

by Anonymousreply 3712/26/2012

If Charles could marry that homewrecker and rottweiler, Camilla. Surely Andrew can remarry Sarah, who is a far nicer person.

by Anonymousreply 3812/26/2012

So do they live together as in "live together," or do they just share a house?

by Anonymousreply 3912/26/2012

Edward is Earl Wessex for now but after his father dies he'll become Duke of Edinburgh. His son will then be upgraded to an Earl although his daughter will still be styled "Lady Louise".

His two children are actually Prince and Princess of the UK but were ordered styled as "Lady", etc. by QEII in a play to modernize the Royal Fam. When Harry marries and breeds all bets are that his kids will also be styled similarly (won't be Prince/Princess like Will and Kate's).

by Anonymousreply 4012/26/2012

That's a very good set of Beaton photos of the late Duke of Kent, R34. Beaton flattered the Duke (and the Duchess) when in fact he was sort of lumpy and fey looking in many other photos.

by Anonymousreply 4112/26/2012

I don't think Sarah has any money. Prince Andrew offers to share what he has. But that relationship is over, other than parenthood and caring what happens to her. Prince Andrew enjoys his own tawdry life.

by Anonymousreply 4212/26/2012

Beatrice & Eugenie: I condole you.

by Anonymousreply 4312/26/2012

Edward will remain The Earl of Wessex until after Charles succeeds his mother AND the Duke of Edinburgh is dead. The Edinburgh title will go to Charles if Philip dies before Queen Elizabeth. That's how it goes, titles pass to the next in line. Once Charles succeeds as king, he can no longer be Duke of Edinburgh (or Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, Earl of Carrick, etc etc) so then he will make a NEW creation of the title for Edward. It can't just go to Edward automatically when Philip dies. The announcement merely stated that Edward would get the Edinburgh "in due course" but the actual "course" is more complicated than people might think.

As for Andrew and Fergie, who knows what their arrangement has been but both of them have had romantic relationships with others through the years, Andrew most recently. In fact, he was close to marrying but the woman made every indication she would not accept the proposal. I really don't think they will remarry at this point, they are both long in the tooth, lost their looks, their kids are adults, and Andrew is slipping further into irrelevancy.

by Anonymousreply 4412/26/2012

The princesses can lend their names to a perfume. Look how well it worked for Cumming the Fragrance for both women and men.

by Anonymousreply 4512/26/2012

Sarah is a grifter. She hangs around Andrew only because of the possibility that he may throw some of mummy's money at her to keep her from tyring to sell her coonections to him to the highest bidder, as she did in 2010.

by Anonymousreply 4612/26/2012

r44 is correct about the Edinburgh title and how it passes - I stand corrected.

if that poster is still on this thread or anyone else with knowledge can they answer as to how Harry's children might be styled, should they be born while QEII is still alive? As great-grandchildren of the monarch arent they automatically "Lord" and "Lady", and can't be technically bumped up to "Prince/Princess" until Charles becomes monarch? Also, will have the Mountbatten-Windsor surname or just "Windsor" as Will and Kate's kids will have.

by Anonymousreply 4712/26/2012

my post above should say "As great-grandchildren of the monarch not in direct line of inheriting the throne arent they automatically "Lord" and "Lady", and can't be technically bumped up to "Prince/Princess" until Charles becomes monarch?"

by Anonymousreply 4812/26/2012

That's right. The HRH goes to the children of the monarch, the grandchildren of the monarch in the male ling, and the eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales. Harry's children would be styled as sons of Dukes, so Lord/Lady Firstname Windsor. Once Charles succeeds, Harry's children (as male-line grandchildren to the monarch) would get the HRH.

by Anonymousreply 4912/26/2012

I think 'Windsor' and not Mountbatten-Windsor. I still don't understand that whole situation and I've been following European royalty since I've been a teenager. I think Mountbatten-Windsor was an idea that sort of fizzled.

by Anonymousreply 5012/26/2012

It's clear that the monarchs should have only one child. But they have a second or third for insurance. But the "insurance" always ends up fucked up because they won't rule but need to do something. It usually turns out to e sex and/or booze!

by Anonymousreply 5112/26/2012

Comedy gold. The real Queen's Christmas message...

by Anonymousreply 5212/26/2012

I like Sarah, Duchess of York. And I hope Andrew continues to take care of her. The royal family screwed her out of a decent divorce settlement. So, they owe her. Yes, she's made a couple of mistakes along the way, who hasn't?

No one fucked up more than Charles, and somehow he was still able to end up with that trash, Camilla. But Sarah and Andrew still like each other, and good for them. Let them be happy together...and not have to wait to be together until Philip kicks off. Who the hell is Philip to approve or not of his son's happiness?

by Anonymousreply 5312/26/2012

American here who watches the Queen's Christmas message every year.

by Anonymousreply 5412/26/2012

[quote]Yes, she's made a couple of mistakes along the way, who hasn't?

Bitch, please! If you're made a Royal Duchess of the United Kingdom and Her Possessions Beyond The Seas, and are bestowed mansions, jewels, gowns, riches, and the accumulated good will of The People, the basic expectation is that you won't behave like a street tart.

She's learnt nothing, and remains the same toxically idiotic, entitled, self-obsessed, 'vulgar, vulgar, vulgar' fat slag she was on her first carriage ride. And only in that respect she suits the GenXY zeitgeist immensely.

by Anonymousreply 5512/27/2012

OMG, R52, that's some funny shit. Who is that guy?

by Anonymousreply 5612/27/2012

We only know what is fed to the press reveals about these people. most of that is half truth an outright falsehoods. Half truths and complete lies seem to be an adequate diet for the soulless masses.

by Anonymousreply 5712/27/2012

Good. Only the queen, harry, will and kate do anything in the plus column for the royal image. Make the rest chip in.

by Anonymousreply 5812/27/2012

The big problem is that these girls are Princesses. Jobs in PR, fashion and the like are beneath them. What jobs can girls of their stature really obtain without it being looked as "slumming it".

by Anonymousreply 5912/27/2012

Ferg is off her coke diet for the holidays

by Anonymousreply 6012/27/2012

Charles is a first-class asshole if he's orchestrating this spiteful bullshit. However, if these girls have to get jobs, then they'll get jobs. They're well-connected enough that they will do what's necessary.

Beatrice and Eugenie also seem to be nice girls. They show up where they're supposed to be; they're never in trouble; they went to college and did well. By all indications, they're nice, well-mannered young adults.

Good luck to them as they venture into the world. I hope they do well. I like Harry; he seems kind of fun. But that boy has been in more trouble than the entire family put together. And Beatrice and Eugenie have pretty much demonstrated nothing but good behavior.

by Anonymousreply 6112/27/2012

Why is Charles an asshole for doing this? These girls are a cost to the taxpayer, and Charles is looking to save money by removing these leeches from the government payroll. They have good educations, they should use them.

There is no need for anyone other than those in direct line to the throne to be on public assistance. The Queen is Britain's richest woman; if she doesn't want to look after these girls, then it's not the British taxpayer's responsibility. They will never inherit the throne and are constitutionally irrelevant. If Harry can risk his life in Afghanistan, then these chavs should be able to cope by working the checkout at Tescos.

by Anonymousreply 6312/27/2012

The girls have big huge asses. They have to have jobs that hide that. And that ain't easy, especially when your degrees are in art and French military.

by Anonymousreply 6412/27/2012

I see a street corner.

I see low lighting

I see a lamp post

I see Trixie and Jeanie waiting by the curb

I see men crawling on that curb...

by Anonymousreply 6512/27/2012

{quote] Princess Beatrice and Eugenie Off The Royal Pay-Roll & Rent-Free Housing. No more freebies for them!

Kate is behind this! Mark my words!!

by Anonymousreply 6612/27/2012

I predict marriages to rich men.

by Anonymousreply 6712/27/2012

They seem like nice young women and Eugenie is rather pretty. A shame Charles is treating them like black sheep. At least they are not alcoholics like his son Harry clearly is.

by Anonymousreply 6812/27/2012

If anything happens to them Charles will look like an ass. They probably do need bodyguards.

by Anonymousreply 6912/27/2012

Biggest fucking welfare family on earth.

Get all the fuckers off the payroll and kick them out of the state owned housing. Trash, all of 'em.

by Anonymousreply 7012/27/2012

R65 ....... I see a double headed dildo ...back to back ....

Hey, London needs CoeCoe cosmetic consultants !!

by Anonymousreply 7112/27/2012

[quote] Anne did, though, and her children were all the better for it.

Her then-husband Mark Phillips refused the HRH and a title as well. On the day of his wedding Mark was summoned to the Queen's house, where she expected to give him a title and HRH. Instead Mark said 'No thank you'.

I think the queen was stunned.

by Anonymousreply 7212/27/2012

Sarah and Andrew are more best friends who got married. I think they realized that they would be better best friends than hubby and wife.

by Anonymousreply 7312/27/2012

[quote] Her Possessions Beyond The Seas, and are bestowed mansions, jewels, gowns, riches, and the accumulated good will of The People, the basic expectation is that you won't behave like a street tart.

According to Sarah's book, she was expected to live on Andrew's military salary. And as the second son, he had no money at all.

Andrew now has to work as well. A job with the government promoting England overseas, or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 7412/27/2012

This decision is definitely something that isn't well received by Andrew. He's been trying very hard to avoid it for the past two years. He has pushed his girls forward and had them with the Queen and out doing their royal appearances and "duties" in the public eye for the past two years to avoid this very thing.

That whole "just us" on the Jubilee balcony was really not a very nice gesture by Charles. Charles is a gracelss ass, and has been longing to get back at Andrew for his crooked underhanded shady business dealings, and his relationship with Mummy for years.

Neither of the two Princes are very nice. Andrew certainly isn't. It's just ashame they are dumping on Eugenie & Beatrice. Those girls work very hard, are very dutiful, attend all the public functions, etc. and are devoted to Granny.

Obviously Charles wants to promote Katherine more, but Eugenie & Beatrice weren't stealing her thunder. And Harry's faux pas in Las Vegas almost derailed Charles grand plan of having his house be the only one in the spotlight. I think this will backfire since Once Katherine & William spit out babies, they will look about as exciting as Sophie & Edward.

by Anonymousreply 7512/27/2012

Well, the Queen has her own estates and sources of income that are not from the government. Charles has the Duchy of Cornwall filling his coffers. If the girls are in publicly owned buildings, fine, they should pay rent, but the family outright owns plenty of property and I don't see why they couldn't live there or the Queen couldn't just give them a place to live.

by Anonymousreply 7612/27/2012

[quote]Charles has the Duchy of Cornwall filling his coffers.

Huh? How does that work? It's a sincere question. Do the taxes paid by the people in Cornwall go to support Charles?

by Anonymousreply 7712/27/2012

R77 it is millions of dollars in trust that has Charles living off the interest.

by Anonymousreply 7812/27/2012

[quote]The principal activity of the duchy is the management of its land and properties. The duchy has a financial investment portfolio and owns land totalling 540.9 sq. km. (or 208.9 sq. mi.). Nearly half of the holdings are in Devon, with other large holdings in Cornwall, Herefordshire, Somerset and Wales. For the fiscal year 2007, the duchy was valued at £647 million, and annual profit in 2007 was £16.3 million, thus yielding 2.5%

by Anonymousreply 7912/27/2012

Charles is rolling in money. He looks very ungenerous and mean to his nieces to shut them out of the family this way. After all, as someone pointed out, their behavior has been fine.

by Anonymousreply 8012/27/2012

As of April 2012 the Royal Family no longer get money from the government via the Civil List. None. Instead the government cuts them a portion of the profits from the Crown Estate, the whole lot of which is technically the Sovereigns (including Duchy of Lancaster estate), but is managed by the government. It includes lands that came into possession of the monarch following the breakup of the monasteries, so a lot of ancient holdings. George the Third handed over the Crown Estate to the govt so it's a pattial reversion. Charles is funded separately by the profits of the Duchy of Cornwall estate.

Beatrice and Eugene are real technical problems. Grandchildren of the sovereign are no longer bestowed princely titles: you can thank Fergie for that. Her antics were the nail in the coffin of a wider royal family. Which is why the Royal Dukes of Kent & Gloucester and their families probably hate her guts.

by Anonymousreply 8112/27/2012

I got pregnant in the nick of time! All of this "get a job" talk is quite distressing.

by Anonymousreply 8212/27/2012

It is really annoying to read these attacks on Charles. He is generous, kind, smart, passionate about history, art, architecture, the environment, gardening - plus he is very gay friendly - and always has been. I worked with him on a project for many years and I can't say more positive things about him.

As far as Diana is concerned, she's dead and let's let her rest in peace.

by Anonymousreply 8312/27/2012

BOTH Beatrice and Eugenie got good degrees and have been getting experience in PR, fashion etc so I will expect will get a job soon. Eugenie also had a scoliosis operation like me a few years ago but recovered well and recently did a sponsored bike ride to raise money for the hospital where she was treated. They both seem well adjusted, intelligent charming girls, leave them alone!

by Anonymousreply 8412/27/2012

[quote]Biggest fucking welfare family on earth.

R70 obviously knows nothing about royals in other European nations.

by Anonymousreply 8512/27/2012

Arguably the same family, R85. Greatgrandmother Victoria was quite committed to domination through reproduction and infiltrating though marriage.

by Anonymousreply 8612/27/2012

The link to Duke of Kent photo brings up the interesting story of how they had him killed.

by Anonymousreply 8712/27/2012

Two bad there aren't any German princes or Russian archdukes to marry them off to, Couldn't they get the Scandinavian princes interested in them?

by Anonymousreply 8912/27/2012

God forbid there are any Grimaldi princelings around! Andrew would love to hook up with those philistines! It would be better for the girls to find commoners who are wealthy than to look for European royalty. Ugh. That is the very bottom of the barrel.

by Anonymousreply 9012/27/2012

by Anonymousreply 9112/27/2012

[quote]Who the hell is Philip to approve or not of his son's happiness?

This is the Queen's doing, in way. Phillip wanted his children to use his family name, Mountbatten, instead of Windsor and was angry/upset about it. He had to stuff it and obey the Queen who, of course, had to choose her family name. I read that she wanted more children after Charles and Anne, but Phillip refused due to the naming issue.

The Queen's compromise was putting Phillip in charge of family life, including where the children would be educated, managing issues or conflicts among the relatives, etc. Hence, Charles was sent to that spartan boarding school in Scotland which he loathed. He was an introvert, more timid than his father, and was probably considered to fey by Phillip who constantly withheld approval and was quite harsh with his firstborn, by all accounts. Anne was his favorite and a girl, so she got a pass. After Andrew was born, he became the Queen's favorite, so he had a bit of a protected status compared to Charles.

Andrew's divorce and Sarah's poor settlement was Phillip's doing and he probably regrets it as many of her shenanigans were directed at making money. If she'd been taken care of financially and signed the agreements, etc., she probably wouldn't have become such an embarrassment to herself and the royal family.

by Anonymousreply 9212/27/2012

[quote]The big problem is that these girls are Princesses. Jobs in PR, fashion and the like are beneath them. What jobs can girls of their stature really obtain without it being looked as "slumming it".

Uh, no. The real, actual, reality-based big problem is idiots like you who think a person's bloodline can elevate them above doing an honest day's work, or even that work is something to be looked down upon. "Princess" and other titles are classist relics of a time we've all progressed past (well, most of us). There's no reason these women, who've been pampered (and well-educated) by taxpayers since birth, can't go out and do whatever work suits them, and support themselves and pay taxes like any other citizen.

by Anonymousreply 9312/27/2012

What's the problem? Hasn't it been traditional through the centuries for young aristocrats to marry well and, once settled into a proper marriage, fool around with whomever they want? It's not like they don't have any potential husbands.

If I were one of these girls, I'd find a sweet, rich, reasonably attractive man somewhere around my own station, crank out two kids, and fuck half the Coldstream Guards.

Sounds like a plan to me.

by Anonymousreply 9412/27/2012

[quote]Hasn't it been traditional through the centuries for young aristocrats to marry well

What the lowly aristocracy does has nothing to do with what the royals do.

by Anonymousreply 9512/27/2012

These new royals are just lazy. They look to their mother who took a job with FatOff commercials rather than get a job.

by Anonymousreply 9612/27/2012

Thanks for your contribution, R95. If there is a formal distinction between aristocracy and royalty, then I stand corrected.

But even with that distinction, there are many examples of royalty doing just what I described, in common with the aristocracy that surrounds them: marrying "appropriately" and having sex with who they want. Their uncle did exactly that.

Oh, and you might want to switch to decaf, you nut.

by Anonymousreply 9812/27/2012

(R25) bit much from an Australian hairdresser's daughter. Princess Michael has the thickest trunkiest legs too, bless her. It's a shame to take the michael out of her.

by Anonymousreply 9912/27/2012

Battenburg is their surname. Mountbatten is a stage name (made up) designed to cancel out any Germanic reference after the war, when such a name would not have been helpful. Philip was born on Corfu, Greece. His mother was bonkers and wandered around muttering in a nun's habit. They were "impoverished" as they said in those days. My grandmother remembers it clearly and goes nuts if you dare to question her. Philip is Greek. Sophia of Spain is Greek. Her brother is Constantine of Greece. I'm not coming at it from a historical angle, just saying what I know to be true. I saw King Constantine just before Christmas, in Chelsea, on his way to our local nosherie being pandered to by young birds as he shuffled along with his gouty gait. We ran on quickly ahead to check our coats before the inevitable fawning and mucking around, so we can eat and go quickly. They all look after each other. At our expense natch.

by Anonymousreply 10012/27/2012

Do they own any land in Greece, r100? Their properties were seized and, IIRC, there was some controversy when he returned and tried to claim some land or a house or something.

by Anonymousreply 10112/27/2012

Had he not met and married a princess, Philip would have done very well in the Royal Navy. He was involved in some unique incidents during the war - once formulating a diversionary tactic for his ship that resulted in enemy planes going after a false floating target in the Med while his darkened ship escaped to fight another day. By the end of the war he was serving in the Pacific and was on a ship in Tokyo Bay when the surrender was signed aboard USS Missouri.

by Anonymousreply 10212/27/2012

R72 I read that book too and I don't believe it. While the queen will keep,the huge bulk,of her fortune intact to passmo. To Charles, I can't believe that she hasn't dumped huge sums on her other children. princess margy was always crying poverty but I am sure George vi made sure she,was well,provided for. Queen Victoria left nothing to Edward vii, she divided her fortune among her children, George v didn't leave square to Edward viii.

by Anonymousreply 10312/27/2012

Princess Michael's father was a Nazi. The House of Mountbattenberg has always had a fondness for the krauts, particularly of the fascist variety (see: Edward VIII).

by Anonymousreply 10412/27/2012

[quote]Philip is Greek

It's interesting that his mother was the granddaughter of Queen Victoria and was born in Windsor Castle. She hid a family of Jews in her small home in Athens throughout the Nazi occupation there risking her own life. She was also a religious nut whose mother had her incarcerated in a mental hospital for many years and who wore a nun outfit even after she moved into Buckingham Palace a short time before her death.

by Anonymousreply 10512/27/2012

R87, it does appear to be a mysterious death, but they don't say why they would want him killed. So he sympathized with the Germans...lot's of the aristocracy did and they didn't end up dead.

by Anonymousreply 10612/27/2012

[75] "Those girls work very hard" hahahahahaha... no, wait, you're serious? Let me laugh even harder... having your whole life, from nanny to pony to posh school to university to adult accommodation paid for by the UK taxpayers is NOT hard work.

Showing face now and again when your granny asks you to visit is not hard work. Managing to keep your knickers on and not do a line of coke in front of a photographer is not hard work. They are incredibly privileged, no matter how much he pleads poverty their father is VERY wealthy, albeit an unpleasant cunt, and they have been given every advantage in life. Being asked to pay rent is not unreasonable and Charles has shown unusual common sense in this - the British public are sick to the back teeth of these particular parasites living off the taxpayer.

by Anonymousreply 10712/27/2012

A couple of points....Philip, Sophia, Constantine are not technically "Greek" by blood they are Danish-Germanic, their Danish royal ancestors took the Greek throne years ago. I believe Constantine and Anne-Marie travel on Danish passports since their Greek ones were revoked after the military takeover.

Constantine did go to court in Greece yrs ago to get back some of the lands and estates he claimed were personally his and his family's. The Greeks compensated him monetarily not sure how much. He supposedly put the $ in a fund for Greek disaster victims or something similar.

Also - QEII was *not* responsible for screwing over Philip re. his surname. She wanted the pass on the Mountbatten surname but her PM and advisors at the time urged her otherwise, and she caved in to pressure and kept the "Windsor" name for her decendents in line for the throne only. Philip was indeed very hurt - the "Mountbatten-Windsor" compromise was reached later whereby their male decendents other than those in direct line will take this name - which by my figuring means only James Severn and his children will eventually have it, along with the eventaul children or grandchildren of Harry.

by Anonymousreply 10812/27/2012

I can see why, r107! Those two girls are crippling the British economy!

by Anonymousreply 10912/27/2012

I've never understood why Elizabeth II was pressured to keep Windsor as the surname for her descendants. Ther's only one precedent in the entire history of England of a reigning female monarch being succeeded by her child, which was Victoria, and she wanted Her son to take on his father's family name (which was Wettin, or Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, and was later Anglicized to Windsor). Mountbatten/ Battenberg is no more Germanic than Windsor/ Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. my hope is that when the queen dies, Charles as monarch will fully change the family's name to Mountbatten, which will be prerogative entirely (once she is dead, the queen's wishes will count as nothing, as Victoria's son proved by taking the regnal name of Edward VII, rather than of Albert Edward I as Victoria had expressly intended him to do).

by Anonymousreply 11012/27/2012

Didn't Philip have the understanding that he would be named King after marrying Elizabeth? And that he would always have to walk one step behind? And when Kingship didn't happen after years into the marriage -things were bad between them. Years went by between Andrew and Edward births.

by Anonymousreply 11112/27/2012

The role model for modern royals is the Viscount Lindley, aka David Armstrong-Jones. He is the son of Princess Margaret and her husband, Lord Snowden, aka Anthony Armstrong -Jones.

The viscount is a media presenter and operates a furniture business.

Another role model is the queen's cousin's Richard, a successful architect. Had not the abdication of Edward VIII occurred, Richard would have succeeded to the throne if all other events had remained the same. Elizabeth Windsor (Wetting, Saxe-Colburg-Gotha, whatever) would have a been the country gentlewoman raising dogs and horses -- a life she was born to have and a life she would have preferred.

by Anonymousreply 11212/27/2012

R14, Anne's children don't have that option. The progeny of women princesses to not get to be HRH.

by Anonymousreply 11312/27/2012

You're making up shit, R72. There's no way the husband of a princess could be given an HRH.

by Anonymousreply 11412/27/2012

R83 has to be Colin Amory.

by Anonymousreply 11512/27/2012

Here's another great Charles initiative the media doesn't mention much...

by Anonymousreply 11612/27/2012

You're very confused, R100. The "Greeks" you list have not a drop of Greek blood. They are a mixture of Danish, German, Russian, and English (if you can call Queen Victoria English). They just happened to be elected royalty of Greece in the 19th century.

by Anonymousreply 11712/27/2012

R108, that's not quite true. At her first wedding, Anne signed the Abbey registry "Mountbatten-Windsor," big as life.

by Anonymousreply 11812/27/2012

"As a titled royal, Anne does not hold, nor ever has held, a surname, but, when required, her maiden name is Mountbatten-Windsor."

by Anonymousreply 11912/27/2012

r114 in other European countries royal princes are created all the time. Sweden's crown princess married her trainer, who was created HRH Prince Daniel the day of the wedding. Britain however doesn't hew to this tradition.

r118 Anne is a renegade and her father's fave hands down. She did sign her wedding registry with that name to make a point but in fact, technically she is a "Windsor" only per prior agreement.

I do believe that it's possible Charles will rectify or clarify the surname situation further once he succeeds his mother. Or William might - he's close to Philip and holds him in very high regard.

by Anonymousreply 12112/27/2012

The issue with the Yorkies is that while they have some money - probably in the form of trusts, it's not enough to maintain the lifestyle they want. Not enough for the luxury apartment in a palace in London, the fancy cars, the entertainment and travel (someone always picks up the tab), the tiaras and jewels gifted by the monarch on various ocasions, etc.

They want to be working royals - not for the civil list - but for an allowance from the monarch and the freebies associated. (The traditional country home given upon marriage, for example, something Kate and Will passed on.)

If they are smart - they will focus on marrying very wealthy men. At the very least they can promise that their children will be cousins to the future monarch. And, they stil have they are HRH titles.

But, the Yorkies are not very smart -- they haven't dated wealthy commoners looking to move up, they are downright rude to Kate and nasty to Pippa. That's not very bright.

Hell ... even Pippa, heiress to a multi-million pound fortune is looking to marry well. And she can assure anyone that their children will be first cousins to the future monarch.

by Anonymousreply 12212/28/2012

by Anonymousreply 12312/28/2012

I saw this in Craigslist

Two sisters: Wanted employment, we can do...Ah royal things...Willing to do almost anything. No anal.

by Anonymousreply 12412/28/2012

120 - English and History/Art History majors may not be as directly vocational as say Business or Law or Medicine, but if you come from the royal family with all the art collections contained in their palaces and the cultural institutions they are associated with having an idea of the heritage and culture they are custodians of for the nation is not a bad idea. In any case while you obviously need to be pretty bright to study say the hard sciences, Maths or Law, I would not say the average arts or humanities student has an IQ much different from that of the average business student!

by Anonymousreply 12512/28/2012

[quote]But, the Yorkies are not very smart -- they haven't dated wealthy commoners looking to move up, they are downright rude to Kate and nasty to Pippa.

They were? I haven't heard of this incident.

by Anonymousreply 12612/28/2012

[quote]On the day of his wedding Mark was summoned to the Queen's house, where she expected to give him a title and HRH. Instead Mark said 'No thank you'.

Is that really how it happens? On the day of a Royal Wedding, the new family member has to hoof it over to "the Queen's house" (isn't that Buckingham Palace?) so she can make a big show of "bestowing" a title in person, and without even knowing if the new in-law will accept. I just assumed these things were worked out in advance and only announced on the big day. I didn't think the people involved had to meet in person before the actual ceremony. Seems like everyone's schedule would already be a bit tight on the morning of a Royal Wedding. Does queenie get dressed first, or does she do this in her nightgown and slippers, buttering a muffin and slurping coffee with the corgis at her feet while she "bestows"?

In her "house".

[quote]I think the queen was stunned.

How the fuck would you know? Your whole post reeks of made-up BS.

by Anonymousreply 12712/28/2012

As is customary, the Queen is believed to have offered Mark Phillips an earldom on his wedding day. Mark turned down an offer for a title from the Queen, and when Peter Phillips was born in 1977 the Queen offered him again and he said no and Princess Anne supported him because they both said they did not want their children to have titles because they wanted their children to grow up to be as normal as possible. Peter and Zara did not have to be titled because the decision was entirely up to Princess Anne and Mark Phillips, not the Queen.

However, they are not the first children of a princess to carry no title. The children of Princess Alexandra, the Queen's cousin, who were born in the 1960s, are also untitled.

Anne's children have a great deal more privacy than any of there cousins (with the exception of Louise and James). First of all they do not have any bodyguards and ladies in waiting to follow their every move. Secondly they don't have a title but they attend most royal functions with other members of the family. Peter and Zara both live in cottages on Gatcombe with their "partners" and cook their own meals get in their own hot tub and can visit a princess just a few yards away.

by Anonymousreply 12812/28/2012

She will not have left her favorite some money?

by Anonymousreply 13012/28/2012

Look at this horse wearing a Beatrice body!

They have some very clever horses in England, ha ha, I'll say!

by Anonymousreply 13112/28/2012

Beatrice would be nice looking if she didn't resemble Fergie and Andrew so much.

by Anonymousreply 13212/28/2012

r126 -- oh yes, the Yorkies most certainly did. Twice in public. (Who knows how often in private.)

First, at a fashion show, they purposely sat in front row seats reserved for Pippa and her friend. When Pippa showed up and went to her seat a convesation ensued to the effect that Yorkies weren't moving, despite knowing the seats were reserved for Pippa. (I don't know why the Yorkies didn't have their own seats.) Pippa made light of it and sat in the back.

At last years royal X-mass parade at Sardingham, the camera caught Eugenie cutting in front of Kate, who was the subject of all the cameras, and running straight to the Queen. She did it so suddenly, the videos caught Kate flinching, she quickly regained her composure.

Small wonder Will and Kate decided to give Sardingham a skip this year and spend it with her family. Her pregancy is in a precarious situation.

by Anonymousreply 13312/28/2012

I doubt either girl, however lovely has any real mega~star talent for anything that will haul in the big bucks, and that's what they will want, millions. Their best bet is for being famous for being famous. They should steer clear of reality shows, but I could see them co-hosting a morning or afternoon chat show. Bring on a different guy every week to be a third host. Dish on hot topics like they do o. The view, occasional serious stuff, things on fashion, lifestyle, celeb interviews. IF they have some good producers this could actually be a good show done with some class and dignity. Better than making fools of themselves on a reality show,,or selling out their names to endorse crappy products that are over priced. Anyway, say what you will about Fergie and Andrew, I think they raised themselves a couple of girls the British nation can be proud of. As for the govt. doing away with their police protection.....big mistake. This makes them target 1 for kidnappers a d crazies everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 13512/28/2012

Nothing trending on twitter about that, R134.

by Anonymousreply 13612/28/2012

Seems odd that Kate would travel up to Sandringham today if she just miscarried.

by Anonymousreply 13712/28/2012

Nothing like a miscarriage to spark wanderlust.

by Anonymousreply 13812/28/2012

I'm not sure about Bea but Eugenie is very bright and had top marks at university. I don't get why Charles is so hellbent on getting rid of the York girls. Harry doesn't look like hitched any time soon. If he had a wife, she and Kate would make Bea and Eugenie's presence quite redundant, but that hasn't happened yet, so the girls still have a public role to play.

by Anonymousreply 13912/28/2012

[quote]Andrew is most anxious about any changes in the Queen's health. When she goes, so does he.

I'm sure she knows that. And I'm sure she'll cut he and Edward some money in her Will to safeguard them. I suspect Edward lives even more beyond his means than Andrew. Just look at his country house for example!

by Anonymousreply 14012/28/2012

As far as I know. Beatrice has a very wealthy boyfriend. Has for years now.

by Anonymousreply 14112/28/2012

Bea but Eugenie were right alongside the Queen when they left the church on Christmas Day. She seems to favor them over her other grandkids.

by Anonymousreply 14212/28/2012

I read that Philip's real surname is a Danish-German four barrel: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg. Mountbatten was chosen to mollify Louis Mountbatten who had promoted the match to Elizabeth.

by Anonymousreply 14312/28/2012

I have a question. Does the Queen hold Court like they did in the old days? Where guests will come to the palace and just hang out and party?

by Anonymousreply 14412/28/2012

Oh my yes, R144.

No one can throw a kegger like Sister Betty Woman and Grand Master P!

by Anonymousreply 14512/28/2012

Such peculiar notions here. A lot of fun, but mostly palaver. I do want to note that Philip did not expect to be king. If Albert, his and his wife's shared ancestor, had to be satisfied with being Prince Consort, Philip knew he would be no more than that. Naturally he chafed for years over his role, and particularly put his foot down over the name to be used for the House (and for necessitated surnames in a world demanding them). But Elizabeth mollified him after many years.

And, no, of course there is no court life as in the past. Although the various honorifics and court positions give an allure of connection to the past. Mostly it's all run like a business, and when the queen is "on," and people are about for formality's sake, the tone is more that of an event with royal patronage making it sparkle, rather than on ongoing court life.

Naturally the real role of the court in practice concerns ambassadors and diplomats, but even that end of things has been demoted to the formal receivings, which the queen often does not attend. Charles increasingly steps in. The same for one-off baronetcies (knightings).

by Anonymousreply 14612/28/2012

r112 You are mistaken. If Edward 8 had not abdicated, on his death the throne would have gone to the next oldest brother. If that brother had ore deceased, then it would go to that brother's son. If no son, then to a daughter. Thus Betty would have be o,e queen in the 1970s . Tjats how Victoria became queen. William 4 died, no legit children. Thenext brother in line was the duke of kent. He has per deceased so the throne passed through to his daughter Alexandra Victoria, who chose to be known as queen Victoria.

by Anonymousreply 14712/28/2012

But if Mr Ed had remained king, he would have had pressure to produce an heir. Liz would most likely not been queen. She was lucky.

by Anonymousreply 14812/29/2012

Royalty threads are the DL at the best. Here, the earrings are made of sapphire, and the caftans, of ermine.

by Anonymousreply 14912/29/2012

The idea of PRINCESSES Beateice and Eugenie upstaging Pippa Middleton is ridiculous. England is still an insufferably classist country, and the fifth and sixth in line to the throne will always be treated better than some fugly troll whose sister married well. Even if Kate becomes Queen, she's an ill-prepared commoner who won't know how to use what little influence she'll have. At least aristocrats like Diana, The Queen Mother, and so many others possessed a shrewdness that forced life to make lemons out of lemonade. Kate is fucked while Bearrice and Eugenie will always land on their feet.

by Anonymousreply 15012/29/2012

[quote]As is customary, the Queen is believed to have offered Mark Phillips an earldom on his wedding day. Mark turned down an offer for a title from the Queen, and when Peter Phillips was born in 1977 the Queen offered him again and he said no

An EARLDOM??? The woman owns Canada and she offers him an EARLDOM??? What the hell is that anyway?

That's an insult. If I was offered an EARLDOM, I'd have whooped her ass till she walked like Jerry's Kids and shit.

by Anonymousreply 15112/29/2012

The Queen's youngest queen is an Earl. It's nothing to cookie sniff at.

by Anonymousreply 15212/29/2012

Shouldn't she be an earlene or something. A prince is a princess, a duke is a dukess, except Patty Duke.

by Anonymousreply 15312/29/2012

Both of those girls look severely inbred. They might as well go to Dubai and become paramours of some Arab sheik.Someone mentioned the Middletons? Kate's not even forty and she's had more platic surgey than Joan Rivers! Pippa might be a rcekless tart but she's a fun one. Kate on the other hand is a crashing bore.

R143 Elizabeth and her forebears also have a decidely Teutonic origin. They are not British(Welsh, English,Irish OR Scottish) but rather Teutonic in their origin as well. So Phillip who is "Greek" in nationality is not the only one in that family with German origin. As a matter of fact Mountbatten was originally Battenberg!

by Anonymousreply 15412/29/2012

One can't get more Scottish than Elizabeth's mother, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon.

by Anonymousreply 15512/29/2012

R148. You're correct. I was going on the assumption that King Edward would not have found a way to spawn.

by Anonymousreply 15612/29/2012

The Yorkies were not upstaging Pippa Middleton, they took her seats. Pippa decided it was better to sit in the back than call an usher.

I don't know how shrewd Kate is - but Carole's no slouch.

by Anonymousreply 15712/29/2012

[quote]One can't get more Scottish than Elizabeth's mother, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon.

Her father was born and raised in London and inherited a Scottish title. Her mother was English. There are plenty of people who are far more Scottish than this interloper. She didn't even have a Scottish accent.

by Anonymousreply 15812/29/2012

I'm sure that one is ok with being off the payroll as long as she still gets dental coverage. I mean, MEIN GOTT, have you seen that Clydesdale's teeth?

by Anonymousreply 15912/29/2012

[quote]As far as I know. Beatrice has a very wealthy boyfriend.

If this is so, then he must be ugly.

by Anonymousreply 16012/30/2012

I feel like the last 12 replies on this thread need to be wiped away so we can get back to normal.

Please, don't try to be sassy or ironic on a royals thread. We long-time DLers cherish these threads for their substance and their unironic attitude. All your attempts to jump in and shake things up are as sad as when a lesbian tries to shake up a cubefrau thread with posts about "cubequeens." Out of genre. Let it go.

Incidentially, I know nothing about the royal family of any country outside of what I read here on the DL, and these are some of my favorite threads here (along with the Broadway threads, another subject I know nothing about).

by Anonymousreply 16112/30/2012

Bea's boyfriend, Dave Clark, is ugly...and from a wealthy family...and American. He works for Richard Branson.

by Anonymousreply 16212/30/2012

Don't be so mean, what if the girls read this. I'm sure it's all said in good fun, but they might not know it.

by Anonymousreply 16312/30/2012

There have been talks that the Spaniards will allow first born heiresses to get the throne, without having to wait for a male heir. Hope Britain does it eventually as well.

by Anonymousreply 16412/30/2012

R164 is living in the last decade. It's a done deal in both those countries.

by Anonymousreply 16512/30/2012

r165 I don't think that Spain has changed its royal inheritance laws yet, as the other Euro countries have. I fairly certain they still have male primogeniture.

Felipe has made it pretty clear I think in recent months that he and Letizia (who just turned 40) are done having kids, making Leonor the heiress apparent. Recent photo spreads he's done w/his father JC and eldest daughter alone clearly show the accepeted line of inheritance.

Spain doesn't need to update the laws now since Leonor only has a younger sister, but will need to once she comes of age and starts her own family. They will probably be ready for it by then (Spain's royal fam is conservative compared to other Euro countries).

by Anonymousreply 16612/30/2012

R154, you confuse the place of a person's birth with biological ancestry , and you confuse nationality (a late-coming concept, really, considering you're talking about descendants of the people who cut up the land to create "nationalities") with cultural background.

Elizabeth had a 2-great-grandfather who was German (Albert). and a 2-great-grandmother whose mother was German (Victoria's mother, Victoria of Saxe-Coburg). Edward VII was thoroughly English in outlook, as was his son, Elizabeth's grandfather, in whose sphere Elizabeth grew up. Oh, Alexandra, her great-grandmother was the daughter of the King of Denmark, but he was German?

The fact that the family, connected to all other European royal houses, has German ancestry is no more relevant at this point than noting that Czar Nicholas II is Elizabeth's first cousin twice removed, and therefore she is Russian. Elizabeth's impeccable French is better than her German. Or maybe she is Spanish, since Juan Carlos is also a cousin.

Teutonic? The story of German connections to Europe's royal houses is a result of politics and the fact that pre-unification (19th c) Germany offered a plethora of suitable marriages of like-titled spouses. And please remember that the Germans on the Hanover side took the UK throne solely because of their being descended from the Stuarts, hardly a non-British tribe. Oh, are you considering them French because the mother of Mary Queen of Scots was Mary of Guise?

by Anonymousreply 16712/30/2012

[quote]They are not British(Welsh, English,Irish OR Scottish) but rather Teutonic in their origin as well.

Look at a map. Teutons originate from the same small part of the world as the Angles and the Saxons.

by Anonymousreply 16812/31/2012

r167 - wow, I had no idea that the current German royal family aka the British Royals were related to the Stuarts via Germany!!

by Anonymousreply 16912/31/2012

[quote]Bea's boyfriend, Dave Clark, is ugly...and from a wealthy family...and American.

I LOVE his hits Over and Over and Anyway You Want it.

by Anonymousreply 17012/31/2012

S&P futures have been trading higher this last day of 2012

by Anonymousreply 17212/31/2012

R158, The late Queen Mothers' mother was a French cook. This is no secret and was known since she was a child. It's why the Duchess of Windsor referred to her as "Cookie".

by Anonymousreply 17312/31/2012

Why can't a Royal like me get knocked up by a black man?

by Anonymousreply 17412/31/2012

I like Royal Pudding. It is on sale at Walgreens. Get it this week.

by Anonymousreply 17512/31/2012

Is there something wrong with the degrees these girls got? Several people have suggested some sort of television program for them but I can't imagine why. They haven't studied or trained for it and are not particularly telegenic or charismatic. Why would anyone think they were interested in television or naturally well suited to it?

One has an art history degree. There are a number of decent paying jobs that deal with the Royal family's extensive art collection. She can start there. If that "isn't done" then surely the family knows someone at the British Museum who will give her a job.

The other has what, a Lit degree? The family must know someone who has a publishing house. She can start there.

by Anonymousreply 17612/31/2012

[quote]to his daughter Alexandra Victoria

It's Alexandrina Victoria, you peon.

by Anonymousreply 17712/31/2012

The girls will lie back, spread their red hairy legs and think of England.

by Anonymousreply 17912/31/2012

Anyone ever tried spotted dick?

by Anonymousreply 18112/31/2012

Just the similar Russian dessert, Rotchikokoff.

by Anonymousreply 18212/31/2012

Shouldn't Charles be worried about his younger son the whore, the one who has done and will do more damage to the product than anyone. His military exploits are fading rapidly next to his whoring around.

by Anonymousreply 18312/31/2012

R183, how is the weather in Karachi this winter? Cold? How about taking some of that down time from the street department to learn better English?

by Anonymousreply 18412/31/2012

Harry is trash. He's much better suited for the gutter snipe his brother married.

by Anonymousreply 18512/31/2012

Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie are fine. They went to school, did well; they're never in trouble and do what is expected of them. Unlike Harry--a fun guy, but screws up periodically.

The princesses will do fine. No need to hate them. They were born into this family. But from all accounts, Sarah and Andrew have raised nice, responsible girls.

by Anonymousreply 18612/31/2012

"Czar Nicholas II is Elizabeth's first cousin twice removed, and therefore she is Russian"

R167 - this is not true - the Queen does not have any Russian ancestors. She is a cousin of Nicholas II through her great-grandmother Queen Alexandra. Alexandra's sister, Princess Dagmar of Denmark married into the Russian royal family. She married the heir to the Russian throne who eventually became Tsar Alexander III and they were Nicolas II's parents.

by Anonymousreply 18701/02/2013

As a side note - Prince Phillip DOES have Romanov ancestors. His grandmother, Queen Olga of Greece, was a Russian Grand Duchess before her marraige.

by Anonymousreply 18801/02/2013

Could someone post a link to a website that explains how this monarchical system works.

1) What are the rights and responsibilities of the people who hold titles like Duke, Earl, Count, Baron, Lord, etc. Do they "symbolically" rule over a certain area of land (is a Count or Countess in charge of a county?)

2) If so do the people who live on that land have to pay taxes to them, do the royals have to do anything in return?

3) What titles are more important than others?

I'm really interested in how all this works.

by Anonymousreply 18901/02/2013

That kraut, "Lillabet" even the LEGITIMATE British Monarch.

The rightful monarch, King Michael , is currently living in Australia.

google "Britain's Real Monarch" and see for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 19001/09/2013

The Queen just released a statement saying that Will & Kate's child will be an HRH with a Prince or Princess title. No Lady or Lord title.

Her word is final on this subject.

by Anonymousreply 19101/09/2013

1 - There are no rights or responsibilities. The UK is a democracy and all power is held by elected government. The Queen is legally bound to do as Parliament say. There's a reason it's called The Mother of Parliaments, there's been an elected body of one sort or another since the 13th century.

2 - None of these titles have had any power for several hundred years. Taxes are paid to the government. Democracy - see above.

3 - It goes Monarch, Prince(ss), Duke, Marquess, Earl, Viscount, Baron, Baronet, Knight, Feudal Baron, Others.

The order of titles doesn't mean anything now other than who gets to wear the prettiest dress at a coronation.

by Anonymousreply 19201/10/2013

Wouldn't they know the sex of the child by now?

by Anonymousreply 19301/10/2013

If Kate & Will have a retarded or female baby will it still in line for the throne?

by Anonymousreply 19401/10/2013

If William had married the heir to another European monarchy... such as Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden ...would that mean that the UK and Sweden would then become one single country?

by Anonymousreply 19501/10/2013

R195 If you got married would you expect your parents and your in-laws to suddenly pool resources and declare themselves to be one family? So..... no.

Over the years every royal house has married into every other royal house and yet they've somehow managed to keep all the countries separate. It's almost as if royals getting married is just the same as everyone else and you don't get to claim Luxembourg just because it matches the dining room chairs. Odd, that.

by Anonymousreply 19601/10/2013

Actually have their been dozens and dozens of small kingdoms, duchys, principalities and royal houses that have vanished from the pages of history , after been incorporated into larger kingdoms through royal marriages?

by Anonymousreply 19701/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 19801/10/2013

R197 There may be, but I'm not aware of any. That sort of thing usually happens as a result of war or political upheaval. Like in Germany, when all the little princelings and arch-dukes got together and declared Wilhelm of Prussia as the emperor.

by Anonymousreply 19901/10/2013

Eugenie is actually quite pretty.

by Anonymousreply 20001/10/2013

She's was a little butter cup, now she's a tub of lard.

by Anonymousreply 20101/10/2013

I think R189 is posting from the 15th century.

by Anonymousreply 20201/11/2013

Charles is an asssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss but i think he is a great fucker but does camilla still suck his dick?

by Anonymousreply 20306/16/2013

Getting back to the girls are they going to get jobs or what?

Actually it's great that everyone but the immediate family is cut off to the funds of taxpayers.

And even then, we're coming perilously close to the time when they will be cut off totally. All of them.

by Anonymousreply 20406/16/2013

#83. You still live in DC?

by Anonymousreply 20506/16/2013

They can work in television "news" or become "fashion designers" or "photographers" like other children of wealth and privilege.

by Anonymousreply 20606/16/2013

Once Charles succeeds Queen Elizabeth, the working royals will consist only of:

HM The King HRH The Princess Consort (who might be known as HM The Queen depending on how she be will be publicly styled) HRH The Duke of Cambridge HRH The Duchess of Cambridge HRH The Prince Harry HRH Princess Harry (if and when he marries)

That's it. Everyone else will be off the royal payroll and out of public events. They might continue their royal patronages, but important engagements will be limited to the family above. Charles isn't particularly close to his siblings, especially Andrew who was The Queen's favorite.

by Anonymousreply 20706/16/2013

[quote] out of public events.

If that is the case, then will the above four be willing to pick up the slack?

There is something called The Court Circular which tracks the amount of public events and royal duties the royals do.

If Charles cuts them off, then he will only have him and his immediate family do royal duties. Which means they will be a busy family.

One exception is Princess Anne. Charles is close to her, and she is the eldest child.

NO ONE pushes Anne around.

by Anonymousreply 20806/16/2013

So does this mean that Harry and his family will be cut out when William takes the throne?

by Anonymousreply 20906/16/2013

[quote]Once Charles succeeds Queen Elizabeth, the working royals will consist only of:

There's five you forgot: Princess Alexandra, and the Dukes and Duchesses of Kent and Gloucester. All are getting on, and the Duchess of Kent has more or less bowed out to pursue religion, charity and depression, but they're still in the Court Circular.

by Anonymousreply 21006/16/2013

Anne isn't eldest. Charles is.

by Anonymousreply 21106/16/2013

The Duchess of Kent has bowed out to pursue depression???

by Anonymousreply 21206/16/2013

[quote]The order of titles doesn't mean anything now other than who gets to wear the prettiest dress at a coronation.

Not completely correct. The Dukes of Norfolk are Earl Marshalls of England: they automatically are charged with organising coronations. The Dukes of St Albans are Grand Falconer of England, and Hereditary Registrar of the Court of Chancery. Similarly, the Lord Great Chamberlain who looks after the Palace of Westminster and walks before the Queen at the opening of Parliament is the Marquess of Cholmondeley, whoever it may be. Currently, it's someone who when young produced a film from a Truman Capote story. Not least, the Mistress of the Robes is always a Duchess. Currently it is, the Duchess of Grafton.

by Anonymousreply 21306/16/2013

[quote]The Duchess of Kent has bowed out to pursue depression???

Her mental health has been shaky. Now likes to be called 'Katharine Kent': God knows what the rest of the family or Princess Michael thinks. But she rocked up to the Jubilee...

by Anonymousreply 21406/16/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 21506/16/2013

Those other royals will still pursue engagements, but won't be the royal family. They won't be representing the crown in an official manner. The smaller royal family will be busier, but the number of engagements might also be cut down. It's expensive to truck them around The UK for ribbon cuttings.

It makes perfect sense. Why should the new King and his family share the spotlight with his mother's cousins? Those Kents and Glouchesters claim to fame is that they were grandchildren of King George V, who died in 1937 or 1938.

The two Yorkies will make their way in the world. They can be product spokespersons, be on reality shows, even work a regular job. How nice would it be to have a real princess as a tour guide at a former royal or noble palace? I think they will lose their HRH anyway, I think Charles will re-organize who gets the HRH and those girls will wind up with 'Lady' titles like the daughters of non-royal dukes. Lady Beatrice Windsor, Lady Eugenie Windsor.

by Anonymousreply 21606/16/2013

[quote]The Queen is Britain's richest woman;

by Anonymousreply 21706/16/2013

[quote]Why should the new King and his family share the spotlight with his mother's cousins?

Because they're bloody princes and princesses of the United Kingdom, that's why! And they WILL continue to do their duties if they so desire and health permits, as they have throughout their lives.

Children of male children of an English sovereign are no longer automatically princes and princesses: after the Fergie Debacle it was limited to children of the sovereign only.

by Anonymousreply 21806/16/2013

R211 Anne is older than Charles, but she was born with a birth defect, a vagina.

by Anonymousreply 21906/16/2013

[quote]The Queen is Britain's richest woman;

Someone doesn't read the Sunday Times rich list. The Queen isn't even in the top 200! She doesn't own the Royal Collection, Windsor Castle Buckingham Palace, or the Duchy of Lancaster from whence the money comes to fund her official upkeep.

by Anonymousreply 22006/16/2013

Boy Fergie fucked up a lot of things didn't she...?

by Anonymousreply 22106/16/2013

Gay Prince Edward and his hideous offspring will have to work too.

by Anonymousreply 22206/16/2013

r197 is correct, see the kingdoms and languages of Spain

by Anonymousreply 22306/16/2013

[quote]Anne is older than Charles

Charles was born in 1948, Anne was born in 1950. How does that make her older? Is it because 1950 is a bigger number than 1948?

by Anonymousreply 22406/16/2013

How do the royals receive their money? Do they get a yearly amount? If that's the case, the taxpayers won't be saving any money, it will all just be going to Charles and his immediate family.

by Anonymousreply 22506/16/2013

[quote]R197 There may be, but I'm not aware of any. That sort of thing usually happens as a result of war or political upheaval

Had you kept silent R199, nobody would have known you flunked World History in 7th grade.

The religious groups fighting marriage equality prefer their fairytale that marriage, to the beginning of time, involved two people in love who want to start a family.

Marriage, prior to the Christian gobbledygook, was a way to unite villages, towns, districts, cities, states, etc., etc. Of course, "love" was involved in many instances, but politcs and kingdoms were a major part of marriage in pre-history.

by Anonymousreply 22606/16/2013

[quote]How do the royals receive their money? Do they get a yearly amount? If that's the case, the taxpayers won't be saving any money, it will all just be going to Charles and his immediate family.

It comes from two vast ancient public-owned estates which cover both rural and urban land. The Duchy of Cornwall funds the Prince of Wales. The urban development he pursues, for example, is part of the Duchy.

The Duchy of Lancaster funds the Queen. However the income from the Duchy of Lancaster is first given to the government which then hands over a portion. The rest goes into general government revenue.

by Anonymousreply 22706/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 22806/16/2013

Yes r228, why are you calling me from my grave???? Are you a good Catholic fag? Careful with your answer!

by Anonymousreply 22906/16/2013

who is the one the royal service used to call barbara because he was so effeminate?

by Anonymousreply 23006/16/2013

Whoa! DL says r230 is a bigot when he was just asking a simple question.

by Anonymousreply 23106/16/2013

effeminate is a childish epithet posted by a bigoted tool?

by Anonymousreply 23206/16/2013

Ummm, r207, That would be TRH Prince and Princess of Wales...

by Anonymousreply 23306/16/2013

R233, POW only when the King decides to make him so. It's not automatic. The only thing automatic to the oldest son of the sovereign is Duke of Cornwall. So, Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge. Much like King George V was was Duke of Cornwall and York until Edward VII decided to make him POW.

by Anonymousreply 23406/16/2013

I believe it was Edward who was... e-[childish epithet posted by a bigoted tool] femmy

by Anonymousreply 23506/16/2013

The word was abused on DL, R230. So it is banned.

by Anonymousreply 23606/16/2013

Dear r234, on the grave of my dead mother-in-law, who will be restored to HRH, the world will immediately call me the Princess of Wales.

by Anonymousreply 23706/16/2013

I don't think Edward had a "Barbara" nickname. I read that he was called "Dockside Doris" for picking up hunky sailors.

by Anonymousreply 23806/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!