Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Need WiFi help

Was surprised with a Kindle for Christmas. In order to use most of it and set it up, you need to go to a WiFi location. The nearest location is McDonald's.

Do you have to be inside the building to access WiFi or can you access it from sitting in your car in the parking lot? Do you need to get a password before you can log on?

by Anonymousreply 3912/27/2012

You don't have wifi in your house? Where are you living? How are you living?

by Anonymousreply 112/26/2012

OP it depends.

If the signal is strong you do not have to be in the building.

If the signal is weak you do.

If they do not have it password protected you don't need one.

If they do have it password protected you do.

R1 he may be at his parents or have one of the 4 g connections at home.

by Anonymousreply 212/26/2012

What R1 said. If you don't have wifi at home, how are you on the interwebs?

by Anonymousreply 312/26/2012

I believe Amazon offers a year of WiFi for $49 if you purchase a Kindle. Even if it is a gift you will be able to prove you own one with the serial number on the device. Try their website.

by Anonymousreply 412/26/2012

R3...4g.

by Anonymousreply 512/26/2012

Can you use your phone as a mobile hotspot?

by Anonymousreply 612/26/2012

Ah, R3 and R1, there used to be devices called modems, which are still in use in many homes.

by Anonymousreply 712/26/2012

I have a friend in Brooklyn who still has dial up.

by Anonymousreply 812/26/2012

Yeah, keep thinking that R7. There's a new thing called Satellite internet, that pretty much has eliminated the use of modems in most places that would still need them.

by Anonymousreply 912/26/2012

Most places like coffee shops and McDonald' can be accessed without a password. Libraries also and you should be able to access from the parking lot. Many other businesses have wifi that is not open to passers by but if you are a customer ask if they have wifi and they usually will give you a password to use it. My small macbook will tell me if there is a wifi where I am at even if it is password protected.

by Anonymousreply 1012/26/2012

R9 is also an idiotic, hapless, ignorant fool.

As stated, millions upon millions of people use modems. It is the most used mechanism for web access.

by Anonymousreply 1212/26/2012

OP, if you have internet access with a modem then just buy a wifi router to connect to your modem.

by Anonymousreply 1312/26/2012

Eldergays...

by Anonymousreply 1412/26/2012

[quote] As stated, millions upon millions of people use modems. It is the most used mechanism for web access.

Really? Because I know of no one who does anymore, they all use routers for wifi access.

Unless they live in Bumfucke or are 90 years old.

by Anonymousreply 1512/26/2012

If you mean dial up modems I used them for years. It is like not even being on the internet. I have had high speed internet for only 3 years but do not know a single person that has a modem anymore. Many of the dial up providers went out of business.

by Anonymousreply 1612/26/2012

[quote] Millions upon millions receive high speed internet thru a modem provided by their cable company and cable subscription.

Um, yeah. And those people can ALSO get WIRELESS modems from their cable companies..ergo, WiFi.

by Anonymousreply 1912/26/2012

who the fuck doesnt know how wi-fi works? and I do not know a single person who doesn't have a wifi router at home,

by Anonymousreply 2012/26/2012

R20 People who do not use laptops at home would be foolish to buy a wifi router.

by Anonymousreply 2112/26/2012

[quote] People who do not use laptops at home would be foolish to buy a wifi router.

Why? There might be more than one computer in the house and you can't plug them all into a regular modem, since they're usually in different rooms of the house.

by Anonymousreply 2212/26/2012

The person who surprised you with a WiFi-only device such as a Kindle Fire should have checked make sure you Wi-Fi at home in the first place. But it's not hard to set up from your cable or DSL modem.

by Anonymousreply 2312/26/2012

R21, I don't have a laptop and I'm connected wirelessly. The modem is in another part of the house.

by Anonymousreply 2412/26/2012

Buy an AirPort, OP. Connect it to your modem and voilà, Wi-Fi.

by Anonymousreply 2512/26/2012

I need to get WiFi too for my apartment. I have a modem for cable internet. Is that Airport from Apple for all devices or just Apple products? I hate to sound stupid. Thanks for any info

by Anonymousreply 2612/27/2012

[quote]Millions upon millions receive high speed internet thru a modem provided by their cable company and cable subscription.

And almost all of those modems include a built in router for wifi access.

by Anonymousreply 2712/27/2012

Here are my WiFi questions:

We have both AT&T DSL and Comcast wired modem for our 2 computers. We want to consolidate to one ISP. Do I buy the wireless router myself or do I have to get it from AT&T? Then, how do I set it up on the existing 2 PCs? How will I keep neighbors from using my wireless service?

TIA and excuse my ignorance. I really want the best connection I can get.

by Anonymousreply 2812/27/2012

[quote] Do I buy the wireless router myself or do I have to get it from AT&T?

You can buy it yourself, but it MUST be compatible with AT&T DSL (they sell them at Best Buy). You can also buy one from AT&T, for about $100.

[quote] Then, how do I set it up on the existing 2 PCs?

It will come with instructions on how to set it up.

[quote] How will I keep neighbors from using my wireless service?

You will create a password to keep others from being able to use your service.

by Anonymousreply 2912/27/2012

R28 from the questions you ask tou don't seem to know much.

Why do you have two internet connections for only two computers?

Do you download tons of stuff because it seems it's overkill.

You can ask your ISP for a combo modem/router for wireless but if you're happy with a stand alone modem than yes you can buy your own router.

You can't consolidate two separate internet service under one ISP, even via router. The router has to be connected to one modem.

If you have desktop computers, make sure they are ready for wireless.

You set up a password on your wireless to prevent others to leech on it.

by Anonymousreply 3012/27/2012

Also, if you have Verizon FIOS in your area, get it! I've had them for 3 years, never had connection issues and the speed is superfast, which is great for me since I streams lot of video. I pay $86 a month and its worth it. They come hook it up for you, set up your wifi, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3112/27/2012

Corrections:

Why do you have two internet connections for only two computers? You can have one ISP service for multiple computers. You might be paying too much there. Do you download tons of stuff because it seems it's overkill.

You can ask your ISP for a combo modem/router for wireless but if you're happy with a stand alone modem than yes you can buy your own router. A router doesn't have to be compatible with any service. It's the modem that needs to be compatible with specific services (DHCP or PPPOE)

Both of your services provide you with dedicated IP addresses and because they're different services you can't consolidate IP addresses. The router has to be connected to one modem or one service.

If you have desktop computers, make sure they are ready for wireless. PC desktops don't have wireless cards in them. Macs, like an iMac, are ready for wireless.

You set up a password on the wireless signal coming from your router to prevent others from leeching on it.

by Anonymousreply 3212/27/2012

for better reception, whip your dick out and wrap it in aluminum foil

by Anonymousreply 3312/27/2012

R6 yes you can. It uses your data allowance from your phone plan, which may not be cost effective, depending on your usage. It's great for emergencies or if you have an unlimited data plan.

by Anonymousreply 3412/27/2012

If you own a laptop, iPad and iPhone, you will certainly need a broadband and wi-fi router in your house. Linksys are the best equipment for that.

by Anonymousreply 3512/27/2012

r28 here. When I moved in here, I had AT&T DSL, and my partner's late partner used Comcast. We are now consolidating to just AT&T. And yes, I probably could've used Google to find these things out, but I've discovered over the years a lot of good tech info comes from you guys.

by Anonymousreply 3712/27/2012

R37, thank you for ignoring the ignorance of R36.

by Anonymousreply 3812/27/2012

I'm sorry, R38. Please re-read OP's first post and then look up the definition of "ignorance."

by Anonymousreply 3912/27/2012
Need more help? Click Here.