Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Social Studies Fairs

In grade school, we were required to compete in these fairs. The projects were stupid because parents didn't do their kids' homework back then.

There was always an igloo made out of sugar cubes. Some of the old judges were deaf, senile, or drunk. The kids dressed up to present their lame projects.

by Anonymousreply 2501/08/2013

OP is stuck in the '60s.

I actually won one of those science fair deals one time in grade school.

Well, I didn't really -- a kid named David did -- but I was on his team! He did all the work (or HIS dad did!)

by Anonymousreply 112/26/2012

Social studies fairs?

No.

I don't remember them

by Anonymousreply 212/26/2012

Science fairs, yes. Social Studies fairs...not so much.

by Anonymousreply 312/26/2012

I never saw any social studies fairs, just science fairs. Other than the mentioned igloo, what other things were entered in a social studies fair?

by Anonymousreply 412/26/2012

We had state reports, our own state reports, and UN Day. You must be Canadian.

by Anonymousreply 512/26/2012

They still have them only now they're called Cultural Fairs.

by Anonymousreply 612/26/2012

No, r6, now they're called Multi-Culture and Diversity Fairs.

by Anonymousreply 712/26/2012

If a display involved water (river, pond, etc.) blue toothpaste was used and it smelled minty.

by Anonymousreply 812/26/2012

Do they have science fairs in Texas and Kansas? Since there is no belief in science, what do they do?

by Anonymousreply 912/26/2012

Not a single person believes in science in those two states, R9! In fact, the laws of physics have completely evanesced there - we live only on cotton candy and dream bubbles!

by Anonymousreply 1012/26/2012

Like the others, I've only heard of science fairs.

by Anonymousreply 1112/27/2012

I won the science fair in junior high. The chemist who lived down the street from us did a fantastic job!

by Anonymousreply 1212/27/2012

In LA School, we had a 6th grade social studies project where we chose a country and prepared a report and a presentation of some sort of object.

I did the USSR and made a model Sputnik. The reason I did the USSR was because theirs was the only embassy that answered my letter asking for information. Since it was back in The Cold War, the mailman was a bit concerned when I received a big box of data with a red star and a hammer and sickle return address tag.

by Anonymousreply 1312/27/2012

We used to have them but in my school they were called Family Affairs

by Anonymousreply 1412/27/2012

I was the lame kid who did the baking soda volcano.

by Anonymousreply 1512/27/2012

r15

I bet you did it while your sister had her girl's club, The Boosters over, didn't you?

by Anonymousreply 1612/27/2012

Only had science fairs as well. Made it to the regional competition in both fifth and sixth grade.

by Anonymousreply 1712/27/2012

I guess they used to be UN days but since Republicans hate the UN, they have become Social Studies fairs.

by Anonymousreply 1812/27/2012

Perhaps they have Social Studies Fairs in the special education classes in the schools for the mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 1901/08/2013

I don't remember them being called Social Studies Fairs, but, yes, we did have them. They involved a large cardboard folded into three sections to create a sort of stage backdrop, and the cardboard would have some hand-lettered legend on it like 'MEXICO, OUR FRIEND TO THE SOUTH.' And the cardboard would be decorated with magazine cut-out pictures to drive home the point (cacti, sombreros, etc.)

In the middle of the table would be a few "exotic" items, mostly gathered from the dime store or, if you were lucky, from a world-traveler grandparent or an uncle who was a veteran. And if you wanted an A, you wrote a short report, decorated the binder, and put that front and center in the display.

by Anonymousreply 2001/08/2013

I For one i made the great wall of China out of sugar cubes. I also once built a model ship for a Boston tea party entry. I also built a cornacopia representing Kansas...our nations bread basket. I had very involved parents built they never did work on my projects. Today all the parents cheat to one up eachother.

I also had to care for a pet egg for a week in 7th grade.anyone else have that project?

Mine broke on day 3.

by Anonymousreply 2101/08/2013

R20 and R21, your descriptions sound as if you went to school in the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 2201/08/2013

R22, this is Datalounge. They totally did. Eldergays rule this place.

by Anonymousreply 2301/08/2013

I'm a junior eldergay (39), and even I think this shit is waaaay old.

It's kind of fascinating though in a weird way.

by Anonymousreply 2401/08/2013

OP is stoned and having a flashback to his own miserable childhood.

by Anonymousreply 2501/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.