Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Downton Abbey Christmas Special

Spoilers inside

by Anonymousreply 10001/04/2013

Two thoughts:

1) Tom was rocking a huge bulge when he was walking through town. Cock snaking down left leg.

2) Matthew's accident: what the fuck? Dead?

by Anonymousreply 112/26/2012

It will be online with ITV sometime tomorrow. I have TunnelBear so I can watch all of the BBC shows as well. It has changed my life in the last few months. Finally, amazingly great TV to watch.

by Anonymousreply 212/26/2012

Downton Abbey was outstanding tonight. Loved it. Fascinating, entertaining and captivating story and characters. The acting is superb. And the follow-up, half-hour retrospective and sneak preview was wonderful. It's a serial soap opera you don't want to miss.

Season 3 starts Sunday, the 6th of January.

by Anonymousreply 312/26/2012

Yank here who watched season 3 online and the Christmas special tonight (also online) - I couldn't wait for PBS to broadcast season 3 in January because I love this show so much so I watched each episode streaming a few hours after broadcast in the UK, and S3 is very, very good. I knew that Dan Stevens probably wasn't going to come back to the show, and the Christmas special confirmed it. What a scene! I wonder if season 4 will start immediately after the events of the Christmas special or some time will pass. I love this show.

by Anonymousreply 412/26/2012

R4. I'm hooked too. So much happens, fast-paced and fascinating. It's a top-notch British "Peyton Place."

And Maggie Smith is a national treasure. "Why must everyday start fighting with an American?"

by Anonymousreply 512/26/2012

On the new Christmas Special - WHEN is poor Thomas the gay footman going to get some action or at least sex or a cuddle ? I suppose its progress that the other footman has deigned to be friends with him after Thomas saving him from being beaten up at the village fair and getting the beating himself .... Thomas should really leave with a good reference and move to London to work for a gay Earl and have a great time with his own kind.

Mrs Patmore has a lucky escape too from the village store-keeper who wanted her for her cooking!

Good to see Pheobe Nicholls again and being nasty as usual, and dear Peter Egan.

I do hope Dan (Stevens) has been wisely advised to quit and has plenty of other offers to consider .....

by Anonymousreply 612/26/2012

Series 3 aired in the autumn here in the UK, and is already out on dvd and we have just had the latest Christmas special (set during their summer holiday in Scotland) last night - so we better not spoil it for those who have yet to catch up.

It does not seem to be running out of steam though, one now wonders how Series 4 will develop, will there for instance be lots of new suitors for Lady Mary, who has been getting rather unpleasant lately ...

by Anonymousreply 712/26/2012

Is it just me, or did Thomas the gay footman's looks really deteriorate from the pilot through season 2? He was gorgeous, and now he's ... puffy.

Man, the Brit rapid-aging thing strikes fast and brings you down hard.

by Anonymousreply 812/26/2012

Constantly typing "Thomas the gay footman" makes you sound like you stepped out of Uptown Downstairs Abbey."

by Anonymousreply 912/26/2012

Branson is now the new hottie, he was topless in the latest christmas special, and is nicely toned and buff. I understand Allen Leech the Irish actor who plays him is gay ? Any confirmation on this ?

by Anonymousreply 1012/26/2012

All I know is that Allen Leech pings in the interviews I've seen him in. No mention of a wife or girlfriend on Wiki or imdb either. Rob-James Collier (Thomas) looks the same now (season 3) as he did in season 1, I haven't noticed any aging.

I believe Dan Stevens wanted out of the series, and wasn't fired. He's been spending a lot of time over here in the US so apparently he's hoping for a career in America.

by Anonymousreply 1112/26/2012

*****Possible spoiler for US viewers who haben't paid attention above*****

Is Matthew dead?

He looked pretty fucking dead.

by Anonymousreply 1212/26/2012

Dan Stevens (the guy who plays Matthew) has talked about how he doesn't want to return for another season of Downton Abbey. It would not surprise me if the character was dead, they have to do something.

by Anonymousreply 1312/26/2012

Well, some comments about it - I see Denis Lill from the old BBC series Lillie played the old Scottish Lord. Denis played Oscar Wilde in Lillie with Francesca Annis.

In this Christmas show we had two things lifted directly from the old Upstairs/Downstairs. The cook has a romance with a tradesman who she later rejected because he was a flirt - that happened to Mrs. Bridges exactly.

Now this new girl is coming to stay - just like Georgina in Up/Down - she came from Southwold to live at Eaton Square.

Poor Mary. What a shock with his death like that. It was a cruel twist after such happiness.

I wish PBS would run the series at the same time ITV did, it would be a lot easier for the global fans. I have watched everything on ITV on the web already.

by Anonymousreply 1412/26/2012

Matthew Crowley looked pretty damn dead to me. Those old cars from that period were total deathtraps. It'll be interesting to see the little trollop cousin living at Downton Abbey in season 4, and like the above poster I sure hope Thomas finally gets laid, poor guy. If I were a gay servant in that time period I would be heading off to London, where at least I could go out and about in the city and be around other gay men. Working at an estate in a small village in the hinterlands would've been so frustrating.

I figured since OP wrote 'spoilers inside' in his original post, this thread is fair game.

by Anonymousreply 1512/26/2012

I read more today in the UK press.

Matthew is dead.

Oh, well.

by Anonymousreply 1612/26/2012

Deadline is reporting that Dan Stevens is officially not returning for Season 4. So he's most likely dead.

Best wishes to the actor but I wonder if he's talked to Sherry Stringfield or McLean Stevenson or Shelley Long? There are very few George Clooneys in this business.

by Anonymousreply 1712/26/2012

Maybe he got 'word' he was about to be written out of the series and negotiated a departure story.

by Anonymousreply 1812/26/2012

[quote]Stevens — who is currently appearing on Broadway with Jessica Chastain and David Strathairn in The Heiress — looks forward to exploring new and different roles, though knowing how unpredictable an actor’s life can be, admits, “That may not be the case.

I have no idea why an actor on a wildly successful show decides he needs to spread his wings. Downton Abbey is not going to go on forever, so it seems like an odd thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 1912/26/2012

I need help with Tunnelbear. I downloaded it, turned it on in my settings, and went to the ITV website on my Safari browser.But when I tried to play the Downton Abbey Christmas show, I got a message that I said I can't get it in the U.S. What am I doing wrong?

by Anonymousreply 2012/26/2012

Maybe it is a Safari problem - I use Firefox with no problem all the time. TunnelBear is GREAT!!!! It's the best $8.00 I spend every month.

by Anonymousreply 2112/26/2012

I can watch BBC programs just fine. Anybody know the exact website to go to? Maybe I'm on the wrong ITV site.

by Anonymousreply 2212/26/2012

Here you go, r20

by Anonymousreply 2312/26/2012

So - if Matthew is dead - who is the heir to Downton Abbey? Is Mary pregnant?

by Anonymousreply 2412/26/2012

Mary gave birth to a son, who is now the heir.

by Anonymousreply 2512/26/2012

Do you people really not know how to use BitTorrent? I downloaded the Christmas special last night. And why, praytell, do we have clueless people who haven't seen the special posting on here? (e.g. R24)

by Anonymousreply 2612/27/2012

Matthew goes to Denmark for a sex-change operation, becomes a woman. And therefore he can no longer inherit Downton Abbey.

by Anonymousreply 2712/27/2012

I'm sorry to lose Matthew, he was a nice counterbalance to both Mary and her father, as well as being easy on the eyes.

Overall, it was a great special. I could watch this show year-round.

by Anonymousreply 2812/27/2012

Damn you Julian Fellows! I want Tom Branson to be a good man. Edna the maid? Really?

by Anonymousreply 2912/27/2012

Good call r14 but it was not Denis Lill but Peter Egan who played the Scottish lord - he was terrific as Oscar in the Lillie Langtry series, what maybe 40 years ago, and he still looks good now in his late 60s.

Yes its a risky venture for Dan to exit after series 3, it is a top running show which other actors would kill to be in, and as said, its not going to run forever. He could fit in other things as well surely. He has previously done some good items like The Line of Beauty, but what if he is not offered anything as good ....

by Anonymousreply 3012/27/2012

This should clear up any confusion over what happens to Matthew, if you really want to know ...

by Anonymousreply 3112/27/2012

Back when Sean Connery was Bond in the '60s and the hottest actor around, he fitted in other films, like Hitch's Marnie, in between 007 assignments. It seems rather over-hasty of Dan to be so determined to leave that they have to kill off his character - lots of other actors think they are the bees' knees and leave popular shows only for their career to tank afterwards, as its not them but their character that was popular.

Oh Dan, poor Dan ... lets hope you made the right choice.

by Anonymousreply 3212/27/2012

I just have to say that I loved the Crawley/non-staff womens' wardrobe for this episode. Absolutely gorgeous, to a one.

How is Maggie Smith's health?

by Anonymousreply 3312/27/2012

Oh, and, "Shrimpie"?

by Anonymousreply 3412/27/2012

TJC did a nice job of making Thomas lighter -- almost giddy and girlish -- when interacting with the guy in his room. He tends to be an indicatey actor, but it was still a good way of showing another side to him.

by Anonymousreply 3512/27/2012

So if Matthew is dead, it would seem Isobel is superfluous, yes? Is Penelope Wilton going to be written off too?

by Anonymousreply 3612/27/2012

Wow. Phoebe Nicholls - who played Ann Durham, Clive's wife in 'Maurice' - got old! and she looked rather frumpy. No wonder 'Shrimpy' can't stand her anymore.

Quite frankly all the Scotland downstairs people looked downright frigthtening. And dear god, usually I love the score, but I grew really tired of that Highland theme after the first half hour.

That scene of Thomas being happy to be friends with the footman was like "WTF! Not even a pity shag? After the beating he took for the guy????'

It's pretty clear that Matthew is dead when Dan Stevens so desperately craves a Hollywood career. Did anybone see 'Vamps' by any chance?

Love Mrs. Hughes 'I have got my eyes on you, hussy!' look when looking at the new maid's shenanigans. That look was pretty busy thanks to checking out that philandering food delivery guy, too.

I didn't understand why it was such big deal for Anna to learn this dance when her gimp of a husband can't dance it with her anway?

Oh, and Lady Edith is so going to be the 'other woman'. That tramp!

I wonder when the show comes to an end if Branson turns out to be a scheming killer who killed both his wife and Matthew (tinkering with the car?) and more just to get Downton Abbey or some other highly valueable thing?

by Anonymousreply 3712/27/2012

You are right about Lillie - Peter Egan - how could I get that wrong. He was great in this episode. Maybe we will see him again someday.

My favorite scene of him and Annis was where he asked her to consider playing Lady Windemere and she cut him off...

by Anonymousreply 3812/27/2012

[quote]So if Matthew is dead, it would seem Isobel is superfluous, yes?

She is grandmother to the heir of Downton Abbey.

She ain't going nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 3912/27/2012

Ed Speleers who plays Jimmy Kent (the footman whom Thomas has a crush on) was also the lead in the fantasy movie Eragon. That didn't occur to me before.

For some reason he looks a lot better on his IMDB profile pic than on the show.

by Anonymousreply 4012/27/2012

I don't see what kind of roles Dan Stevens could get in American films apart from rom-coms (will he be in a Jennifer Aniston film?) or costume dramas, he has the ideal looks for those. He can't be a villain like Tom Hardy.

by Anonymousreply 4112/27/2012

R41, Dan Stevens is currently on Broadway co-starring with Jessica Chastain in "The Heiress." If you think about it, we haven't had much fresh British talent stateside as of late; there's a void to be filled in film now that Hugh Grant is too old to do romcoms.

by Anonymousreply 4212/27/2012

This Dan guy is making a big mistake...he played a background secondary character and he's the cat's meow? To be cast in show with Maggie Smith and have a chance to develop your craft with a rock star...then leave in the middle of a series...career suicide.

by Anonymousreply 4312/27/2012

r42 Broadway doesn't mean shit in Hollywood. Dan Stevens doesn't have leading man looks by American standards. He was so stupid to leave such a runaway hit show.

by Anonymousreply 4412/27/2012

R44, I'd beg to differ. There are a number of guys in showbiz today who first made it big on Broadway before moving into Hollywood roles: Matthew Morrison, Cheyenne Jackson, Barrett Foa, Andrew Rannells, etc. Also, he played but one of nearly 20 characters on "Downton Abbey," not its lead or anything. Finally, it's difficult to see the series going more than two more seasons at most, if that. The British aristocracy started dying off in the '20s, and the Great Depression really killed it, so there's only so much farther it can go (and Julian Fellowes has already announced that he's developing a prequel to it, since he too knows it must end soon).

by Anonymousreply 4512/27/2012

Dan Stevens is only 30?

by Anonymousreply 4612/27/2012

It possible he left on his own, but it was a huge and stupid move on his part. It will cost him money and it's probably the end of his prime-time career. It's a shame.

I think there is more to this story that will come out in the next few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 4712/27/2012

Mary gets a son, the earlship is safe for the family, and the arc-less, pointless, shambling plot ambles on, making money for the creep Fellowes whose ego is now so huge if thinks every blip in his brain is genius.

What a waste of talent and money.

by Anonymousreply 4812/27/2012

Pretty sure this is not where Fellowes wanted to bring the story.

by Anonymousreply 4912/27/2012

Stevens killed Downton Abbey. The Matthew/Mary romance was one of the big reasons the show was a hit.

The christmas special was boring, nothing of interest until the end. Another sign that the show is not even close to what once was.

by Anonymousreply 5012/27/2012

The Matthew/Mary romance was the most boring part of the show! I never liked it. My favorite was the Sybil/Branson romance. I was always annoyed at how little screen time that story arc got. They literally got two minutes every episode, it's insane. And then they killed off Sybil.. I had no reason to watch anymore. I only watched for them anyway. Sybil and Branson were a huge hit. They were immensely popular. I don't understand why they got so little screen time.. killing Sybil really was the last straw though. She was my favorite character and they lost a lot of viewers when they did that. Killing Sybil AND Matthew in the same season.. isn't that a bit much?

by Anonymousreply 5112/27/2012

I hate the score, and I'm tired of hearing it. What's more, take the first line of THIS song and put it in a minor key, and you have practically the entire score for Downton Abbey.

by Anonymousreply 5212/27/2012

R51, it seemed both actors wanted to leave, so what else could they do?

by Anonymousreply 5312/27/2012

r45, if Barrett Foa is his role model for Hollywood success, he's going to be working at a Subway on Santa Monica Boulevard in 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 5412/27/2012

R54, Barrett Foa is a regular on the second-highest rated TV show in the country. I think it's safe to say he's set for life.

by Anonymousreply 5512/27/2012

[quote]Matthew Morrison, Cheyenne Jackson, Barrett Foa, Andrew Rannells, etc.

I only recognize one of those four names. And is Cheyenne Jackson really a Hollywood name?

I agree that Dan Stevens blew it when he left the show. What difference would have one more season made in his career? It's not like he got a call from Spielberg to be the lead in his next big film, so he had to leave in a hurry. Weird.

At least Benedict Cumberbatch had his own hit show (Sherlock) and was more of a name before heading to America.

by Anonymousreply 5612/27/2012

I want Allen Leech inside me quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 5712/27/2012

I recently saw Jessica Brown Findlay (Lady Sybil) in a mini series called Labyrinth (adpation of a novel by Kate Mosse - NOT a remake of the movie with Jennifer Connelly and David Bowie) where she and Kate McGrath (from BBC's Merlin) had nude scenes. The mini series also features John Hurt, Sebastian Stan, Tom Felton, and Tony Curran. While the cast was great I didn't like the series as a whole that much. And unsurprisingly JBF played a girl with virtues while Kate McGrath played a conniving bitch.

by Anonymousreply 5812/28/2012

I Want to be in Allen Leech deeply R57 cute face and hot ass.

by Anonymousreply 5912/28/2012

Downton has definitely jumped the shark with this Christmas episode. That ending was the epitome of lazy soap writing. They couldn't have done something a bit less cliche?

Next series is "How can Downton possibly survive without Matthew's guidance?" and "How can we possibly manage our wild Highlands cousin?"

Maybe it's time to divide Downton into flats like the stately home that Hyacinth and Richard bought into.

by Anonymousreply 6012/28/2012

The only hot woman on this show was Sybil.

by Anonymousreply 6112/28/2012

Both the Downton Abbey and the Doctor Who Christmas special this year feel very dark and are so not stand-alone episodes (though the last DA Christmas special had some story plot progession as well).

by Anonymousreply 6212/28/2012

Why should an actor wanting to leave a hit show (presumably thinking he is going to get better offers, but it doesn't always happen, and lots of actors would kill to be in a hit show like Downton) but why should that influence the course of the show by killing off his character? Couldn't they re-cast it with another actor and Matthew continues .... it happens in other soaps, would it be too hard to accept ? Better than the hero of the first 3 series being suddenly killed off in the christmas special .

by Anonymousreply 6412/28/2012

Remember the Steven Carrington switch on Dynasty - we should have had an explosion on the estate and his face was disfigured. Plastic surgery and voila! - a new Matthew.

by Anonymousreply 6512/28/2012

r64, I think it's the revenge of a show's creator who takes it very personal when one of the actors dares to abandon ship. So he kills off the very character, because killing the actor would get him in prison.

by Anonymousreply 6612/28/2012

Also it means - you can never return. You are cut off forever. Maybe he pissed off Julian in some way, I wonder how sensitive he is.

by Anonymousreply 6712/28/2012

The description of his death sounds like a variation on The Killing of Sister George

by Anonymousreply 6812/28/2012

I hope the next series is just Thomas having sex with different men.

by Anonymousreply 6912/28/2012

More on what happened

by Anonymousreply 7012/28/2012

r71, well, given that Downton Abbey was created by the same guy who co-created Robert Altman's murder mystery Gosford Park it's not that far off that there might be a murder twist looming.

by Anonymousreply 7212/28/2012

Tom is so hot. I just keep replaying the scene where his bulge is bouncing. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 7312/28/2012

Why bother, R64 the next season will likely be the last, and having the final season show us how Downtown Abbey survives, or doesn't, minus Matthew is a good way to end a series that has already suffered under a disinterested creative team.

by Anonymousreply 7412/29/2012

I never know why people are puzzled or even upset when actors decide to move on. You don't become an actor for the job security and steady work and if, like Stevens, you're already fairly successful, he can presume to carry on getting further work, whatever happens. DO wouldn't last that much longer anyway, so he's beaten the rush.

by Anonymousreply 7512/29/2012

Sorry, 74 I can't agree with you - season 3 was great. Downton is an oasis of beauty and culture in a morass of garbage on TV. It's a classic that will be remembered decades from now. I don't think they are bored, I think they are challenged to meet the expectations of the public and the standards they have set for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 7612/29/2012

All of those characters would be long dead by now.

by Anonymousreply 7712/29/2012

Clearly this Christmas special was shot before Stevens went public during press for The Heiress that he might not be returning. I think everything you've read after that - from the creators, the heads of drama at ITV, etc. - was to put people off the scent until the Christmas special aired.

British actors tend to have a "jobbing" attitude about their work, it's always "on to the next thing." Killing Matthew was obviously a creative decision and Stevens was putting a positive spin on it, i.e., "episodic television has its downside," "it's good to do different things," etc.

I'm not sure why everyone jumps to the assumption that Stevens wanted out. I mean, he's only ever played pie-faced poshos like Crawley so things aren't going to get that much more interesting for him.

by Anonymousreply 7812/29/2012

Ok, read that he decided to leave in February which says a lot about why they've been building up Allen Leech's role.

Stevens no doubt has enough taste to realise how shit the scripts are - I mean, what scene has Matthew Crawley had that was any good in Season 3?

Still, I don't think his departure is based on craven opportunism. It just sounds like he didn't enjoy it much.

by Anonymousreply 7912/29/2012

[quote]I never know why people are puzzled or even upset when actors decide to move on. You don't become an actor for the job security and steady work and if, like Stevens, you're already fairly successful, he can presume to carry on getting further work, whatever happens. DO wouldn't last that much longer anyway, so he's beaten the rush.

I can understand being upset. Actors commit to being part of a television series knowing it is going to be a many year commitment to that character if it is a hit. The show gives them tons of paychecks and publicity and ample opportunity to show off what they can do. To just walk away from it prematurely when the writers don't want you too is unfair to their vision as it forces them to change the story they want to tell and disrepectful to the people who have allowed you to enjoy so much success.

As you said, it won't go on more than one season or possibility two anyway. Would it have killed him to wait it out and continue giving the writers the Matthew character who was always crafted to be a central part of the show.

I get actors enjoy doing different things and honestly I won't even miss Matthew as he never really interested me but it was still a rude move and disrespectful to the show.

by Anonymousreply 8012/29/2012

[quote]disrespectful to the show

MARY!Producers would not think twice about axing your part if it made dramatic sense or if they needed to retool the show for whatever reason. If there's one career/industry where loyalty (an archaic concept in this age of mergers and re-organizations) is truly a one-way street, it's films/TV.

[quote]Branson can get entangled with Shrimpy's daughter, but he and Lady Mary could also begin to see an understanding between them and Lady Mary's jealousy.

Interesting ideas, if perhaps a bit predictable. One thing we already know, through the character of that maid who made the moves on Tom and was unceremoniously dismissed, is that there is no turning back for Tom. He has crossed over, been welcomed, and now is part of the shielded upper class, for however long that lasts within the historical context of the show. He and Daisy will probably represent the strengthening of the working class, which just at about this point in history, is allowed to seek its own success by becoming more enterprising or taking advantage of opportunities laid before them. I know, another MARY! for this babble.

Perhaps shuttling back and forth between this thread and the Facts Of Life is not such a good idea after all.

by Anonymousreply 8112/30/2012

British TV doesn't work like that. It's the norm here for actors to only stay on TV shows for a a few (or even one) series. Staying for years is pretty unusual.

by Anonymousreply 8212/30/2012

The worst part of Downton has always been the unbelievable way everything seems to work out for the Crawleys.

One heir dies, Matthew comes around and of course he's perfect for Mary. (If Patrick really is alive, thank heavens his survival as in doubt as he's now disfigured).

Crippled in the war? Unable to have children? No problem. He will heal miraculously.

Married to the wrong girl? Thank goodness for a plague. And he inherits her money to boot. And saves Downton with it just before it goes under.

And has a male heir, right out of the gate.

The man's luck had to run out. His death and Sybil's death makes the show somewhat more realistic.

The great thing about Season 3 is how much the Crawleys were played more brutally with the under classes reminding them that the real world is not what they think it is. Matthew had it coming.

by Anonymousreply 8312/30/2012

Not happy with Matthew being out. Don't like the daughter from Scottland. And I hate the prospect of having three young women now open for romantic relationships.

Overall I have to say that the downstairs characters are a lot more interesting than the upstairs characters. I like Penelope Wilton. But her sancrosanct character character is going on my nerves. I'm sure she'll even find something uplifting in her son's death. Lady Grantham is even more boring. Her sole purpose in the script seems to be looking understanding.

by Anonymousreply 8412/30/2012

Just watched the Christmas special again and was reminded what an AWFUL actress Elizabeth McGovern is.

What is that accent? What are those line readings?

She always puckers up her eyes and lips like she's smelling a rotten sour pickle.

If they need to kill someone off, kill her, for goodness sakes!

by Anonymousreply 8512/30/2012

I'm confused.

Is the Christmas Special you're all talking about from last year (re-ran) or the finale of the season that begins Jan. 6?

by Anonymousreply 8612/30/2012

It's this year's Christmas Special, that concludes S3.

by Anonymousreply 8712/30/2012

Pamela Myers was incredibly hammy and out of control on stage in that Tales of the City musical at ACT last year. I'd hate to think what she would have been like under an even weaker director on Follies.

But then, everyone was hammy in Tales of the City so perhaps it was encouraged.

by Anonymousreply 8812/30/2012

Sorry but is Season 3 or 4 the one that begins on Jan. 6?

by Anonymousreply 8912/30/2012

Did they ever replace Gwen the housemaid? Anna must have a lot to do between running of Mr Bates and doing double the housework.

I can't believe Bates missed the last season of Lark Rise to Candleford forth is crap

by Anonymousreply 9012/31/2012

S3 begins in the US on Jan. 6th. It already aired in the UK and like others have mentioned you can watch the whole thing online if you know where to look.

by Anonymousreply 9112/31/2012

Matthew was such an awful, boring character, I'm not surprised Dan Stevens got tired of playing him. I can't imagine that an actor would want to go on playing such a bland character for more than 3 yrs. But I really can't imagine what roles he could get in Hollywood.

Jessica/Lady Sybil I can kind of understand leaving because she had actual buzz/interest in Hollywood and the UK. She's already booked a major role opposite Will Smith and she's up for the female lead in the Captain America sequel.

by Anonymousreply 9212/31/2012

I agree, r92. I just can't see where Dan Stevens would fit in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 9312/31/2012

[quote]If there's one career/industry where loyalty (an archaic concept in this age of mergers and re-organizations) is truly a one-way street, it's films/TV.

Bullshit. It's a dead end. Loyalty will get you nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 9412/31/2012

[quote]I'm sure she'll even find something uplifting in her son's death. Lady Grantham is even more boring. Her sole purpose in the script seems to be looking understanding.

And she'll be doing a lot of that next season, as both she and Lady Crawley will end up inevitably bonding over the loss of their offspring.

[quote]Bullshit. It's a dead end. Loyalty will get you nowhere.

It works with TV work and in the comedic circuits on film (the Stiller people, the SNL people, the Coen Bros people, and the Rogen clan). But, as I said previously and still stand firm on, it's a very narrow one-way street.

by Anonymousreply 9512/31/2012

Don't know Dan Stevens but I suspect he just wants out of the regularity of playing the same dull character and yet, at the same time, has no great expectations of a big Hollywood career.

It seems to be very hard for Americans to understand that concept.

And if Matthew remained, where would his and Mary's plotline go at this point? It's at a dead end and I believe Julian Fellowes is well-aware of it.

by Anonymousreply 9612/31/2012

I get really confused over DA because on PBS in America they showed the 2011/1920 New Years Episode. I watched it online, s2e9, last night.

Europe saw the s3e9 Christmas special last week.

The streaming site I was at only has s3e1-8 as the s3e9/1922(?) Christmas episode hasn't been uploaded there.

This is a big relief as

1] I thought I missed the Shirley M episode(s) and

2] I will spend New Year's Day with a DA s3e1-8 marathon!

by Anonymousreply 9712/31/2012

R81 is correct. Realize it's a different thread, but a lot of you on this board like and watch Mad Men, correct? Imagine how Bryan Batt, Jared Harris; perhaps even Mark Moses (unless he was going back to Desperate Housewives anyway?) felt when they were written out. As I understand it (SAG-AFTRA people, please correct me?), the standard TV show contract is 7 years, but you CAN be written out after any 13-week period.

(I have always understood THAT delightful proviso in the contract is thanks to Ronald Reagan's time as SAG president.)

I have mixed feelings: it is too bad that a great couple like Mary/Matthew will end, and I also agree with the posters that are not quite sure what type of career Dan Stevens expects to have, outside of England and/or stage, but good for him for "making the first move." THere is very little concept of loyalty from the heads of TV shows to actors, in my experience (of reading about same.)

Really, no one is irreplaceable; (a) David Caruso, (b) all the leads who left/were replaced on the Law & Order shows (even SVU, still going - and great episodes this year - without Meloni, which I NEVER thought would happen.)

I, with a taste for character actors, want only to see MORE MORE MORE of the butler; I LOVE that face!!! (oh, and switch-hitting a bit: love O'Brien, too!)

by Anonymousreply 9812/31/2012

I thought Shirley played a lovely old rich bag.

Pity about Sybil.

Love the tall guy.

Love the cute guy Thomas mashes on.

Can't wait for O'Brien to extract her pound of flesh.

Mary has become such a shrew after her marriage.

Did anyone notice that the armorial plate in the opening sequence is Royal Doulton's Chantilly Ivory but the china used in the episodes is Spode Stafford White?

I get all hot and bothered watching the tall guy wielding that Spode sauce boat and stand. [I'm just another Table Top Queen.]

All three are beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 9901/02/2013

Thomas needs to find a potential romance or some job elsewhere so that Jimmy can come to realize that he's attracted to Thomas and we can at least have a hot snogging session.

The last scene with Mary and Matthew where she claims she wants to be the woman he saw her to be has potential to make her start to change her ways, but we'll see...

by Anonymousreply 10001/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.