Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Love it or hate it, it is one of the most successful websites in the community.

by Anonymousreply 4808/05/2013

[quote] it is one of the most successful websites in the community

Is it?

The front part continues to be poorly designed and the forum is very slow these days (and has been for several years).

by Anonymousreply 112/26/2012

They like Anthony Recker there and have a couple of threads devoted to him. That's a good sign.

by Anonymousreply 212/26/2012

[quote]it is one of the most successful websites in the community

You are basing that on what, exactly?

by Anonymousreply 412/26/2012

For their purpose, addressing the "gay perspective" in the sports world I'd guess they are the best, who else is focusing on that? So good for them and I don't see what there is to hate personally.

by Anonymousreply 512/26/2012

There is also which also has very active message boards.

by Anonymousreply 612/26/2012

OP = Cyd Zeigler

by Anonymousreply 712/26/2012

It's a great site. They have posted all my comments. Which is at the top of my list of pros because there are many sites which like to restrict opinions. They've been fairly consistent with making podcasts. They need to change the layout of the site so it's easier to find past articles. They don't update that much. I only visit once a week because of the limited number of new articles per week.

Compete magazine has a website. I've tried to comment on that website about five times and all of my comments have been rejected. Apparently, they are too hot to post. Saying a straight athlete is insincere in his support of gay people and is really after money is just beyond public discourse. *roll eyes* If you don't want discussion then don't have a comment section. We have a lot of people who can't handle differing, raw and real opinions. The updates on the website are less frequent than Outsports. I will give them big credit for having ACTUAL gay people on the covers of their magazine. The fact that I have to give them credit for something that should be standard for any gay magazine tells you how poorly other gay magazines have done.

by Anonymousreply 912/27/2012

Takes all kinds to make a community R10.

by Anonymousreply 1112/28/2012

I seem to recall that one of the founders of Outsports used to post here and so do some members.

by Anonymousreply 1212/28/2012

They came to the defense of Johnny Weir when Stars on Ice refused to hire him because he was not "Family Friendly".

I think they deserve more respect for that. Often homophobia is the nastiest in places where the most closet cases exist. (See J Edgar Hoover and the FBI for historic comparisons).

by Anonymousreply 1312/28/2012

Their web designer should be fired immediately.

by Anonymousreply 1401/15/2013

What community?

by Anonymousreply 1501/16/2013

Content-wise, it's okay, but the site is desperately in need of a make-over. Looks like something from the late '90s.

by Anonymousreply 1601/16/2013

[quote]Takes all kinds to make a community.

It actually doesn't. Diversity is nice, but not a requirement for community.

by Anonymousreply 1701/16/2013

The content on their front page rarely changes. Example: The first link under their "Recent Topics" is "Mitchum wins gold." Their discussion boards are glacial. And they stopped picking out hot jock photos, lazy bastards.

by Anonymousreply 1901/16/2013

Jim Buzinski is nice, but Cyd Ziegler is a total Republicunt.

by Anonymousreply 2001/16/2013

Outsports is also asking if Te'o is gay.

by Anonymousreply 2101/18/2013

Because once again, they have a firm grasp of the obvious.

by Anonymousreply 2201/18/2013

They were just bought by Vox Media. I wonder if Jim and Cyd got a lot of money for it.

by Anonymousreply 2303/05/2013

I don't know any gay guys into sports. Sports fans are definitely an anomaly in the community.

by Anonymousreply 2403/05/2013

[quote] Sports fans are definitely an anomaly in the community.

Bitch please.

by Anonymousreply 2503/05/2013

R23, does Vox media also own Manvox?

by Anonymousreply 2603/05/2013

The sure did change the look of the website fast. Yesterday Outsports already had the SB Nation look to it.

Hopefully this will be good journalistically (That's a word, isn't it? Spellcheck is highlighting it on me). As a gay man who likes sports, I've always appreciated the idea of Outsports. But I rarely would go to the site because they only posted a couple of new stories each week, if even that many.

by Anonymousreply 2703/07/2013

It looks pretty fucking boring and lame. How to you measure success?

by Anonymousreply 2803/07/2013

You have to register now to comment. I hate that. I won't. The homepage is primitive. You have to scroll down to go to other areas like the Fanshots section. When Vox Media is in a financial downturn I expect them to dump this website. It's not one of their essiantial websites and it won't make that much money. Maybe like Queerty the original owners will reaquire it.

by Anonymousreply 2903/07/2013

I'm an actual sports fan. Not the site for me, sorry. Plus, it has that annoying HuffPo site navigation thing, which I loathe.

ESPN or nothing for actual sports. I'll get me gay news here.

by Anonymousreply 3003/07/2013

Vox will get them more content, right?

by Anonymousreply 3103/07/2013

For those who care, they are still doing the annual King of the Hardwood bracket.

Voting opened today.

by Anonymousreply 3203/25/2013

Outsports posted a story yesterday about Andrew Goldstein who played in the USA professional lacrosse league in 2005 & 2006.

The story itself is interesting, but I'm really taken back by the overriding tone that the writer Cyd Zeigler takes. The piece takes on a bitchy (for lack of a better word) attitude that Robbie Rogers is getting unduly praised for being the first out gay to play in a pro U.S. team sport.

Both stories are great and people that care about gay visibility in sports should be aware of both guys - no question. But why is this Zeigler guy scolding people for Rogers getting more press coverage than Goldstein?

Outsports has seemed less and less useful in recent years. The way he handled this story might be enough to finally stop me from checking it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 3305/28/2013

Outsports sucks nowadays since it was bought by SBNation. I'd avoid it utterly. I've been to Realjock recently and it's a lot more active.

by Anonymousreply 3405/28/2013

[quote]I'm an actual sports fan. Not the site for me, sorry.

Same. I'll go the NHL site, or various blogs by actual fans who know what they're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 3505/29/2013

r33,you should read the comments over there..the posters have a point about the article being bitchy and hypcritical towards Robbie while Cyde(the author) answers them with pointless nonsense that are actually wrong

by Anonymousreply 3605/29/2013

Agree with 34.

by Anonymousreply 3705/29/2013

Outsports is overtly obsessed with the worry about being seen as too gay. They over do the masculine thing. AKA is is alright to be gay in sport, proving you are a straight acting gay playing a macho sport. Else, we don't care for your types.....

by Anonymousreply 3805/29/2013

Cyd Ziegler is one of those gay Republican creatures. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 3905/29/2013

Is he republican or was that just his dad?

by Anonymousreply 4005/29/2013

"But why is this Zeigler guy scolding people "

Because he's also an arrogant prick.

by Anonymousreply 4105/29/2013

Cyd Zeigler is an insufferable gay republican cunt. I've had an email correspondence with him and he is a judgmental prick. Can't stand him.

by Anonymousreply 4205/29/2013

This site has become such a joke now. Has anyone here been there lately? Crickets chirping.

by Anonymousreply 4307/14/2013

It's great when you want to keep up with the latest white male privileged college lacrosse player's coming out.

Other than that, meh.

by Anonymousreply 4407/14/2013

Outsports sucks donkey balls now, and not in the good way. Avoid it.

by Anonymousreply 4507/15/2013

It makes me want to sing a thing

by Anonymousreply 4607/15/2013

Outsports was inducted in the inaugural class for the Gay & Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame.

Here is Outsports writing about it.

by Anonymousreply 4708/05/2013

R47, it must have been inducted for past accomplishments. Granted, it was at a time a groundbreaking site. Unfortunately, since becoming a part of SBNation, it has lost much of its appeal as a community and discussion place not only about sports but also other topics of interest to gay men who went there to talk about sports. It may receive more views as part of SBNation, and thus generate ad revenue, but it has alienated its core audience. It's no evolution of the site but rather a change into what one may say is, generously, marginalization, and to put it more bluntly, perhaps irrelevance.

by Anonymousreply 4808/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!