Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How do you deter solicitors?

I have already posted a red "No Solicitors" sign at eye level on my door. They usually come knocking after sunset.

The last straw was when a dirty looking teenage Hot Topic afficionado was extremely rude and pushy when I politely declined and wished him luck. I don't want them on my doorstep at all. What actually works to keep them away?

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 3807/15/2014

I think posting a sign that says:

DO NOT INTERRUPT MY SEX!

would do the trick.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 112/25/2012

Just leave your picture on the door, OP. Nude!

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 212/25/2012

Put up a new sign OP. "Solicitors will be shot"

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 312/25/2012

Draw a swastika on your forehead, then open the door.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 412/25/2012

Don't answer your door, gramps.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 512/26/2012

You failed to tell us what he was soliciting for.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 612/26/2012

If it is a pair of Mormon boys in their white shirts and black pants getting off of their bikes I usually tell them I think they are cute and suggest they hot tub with me.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 712/26/2012

Solicitors and salespeople are told to ignore signs. Say you dealing with an emergency which they interrupted, then close the door fast. Sadly if you're too polite, they'll keep coming back.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 812/26/2012

I don't answer the door unless I am expecting someone. Most friends will call prior to showing up.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 912/26/2012

R9 wins.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 1012/26/2012

R8 is right. I put a note on my door saying 'do not knock', specifying: Jehovah's Witnesses, political surveys, utility company surveys. They still knock.

I give them a blank look, silently point at the sign and close the door in their faces.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 1112/26/2012

Why feel obligated to open the door? We don't get an awful lot of callers, but if I'm not expecting anyone or if I see they're not familiar, I ignore the doorbell and they go away. After years of apartment living either with a vestibule or a doorman, it was kind of a shock to get rings. Ninety-five percent of the time, it's a waste of time. When a neighbor complained about solicitors, I asked why they would bother to open the door. He was a bit taken aback since there seems to be some tacit obligation involved around. But why? The thought of ignoring was practically a revolutionary idea.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 1212/26/2012

[quote] What actually works to keep them away?

Not answering the door, my dear Watson.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 1312/26/2012

Does anyone recall those black, white, and red plastic signs that had the barrel of a revolver on them and a sentence like "This property is protected?" They were similar to the standard "For Rent" or "Yard Sale" signs. The barrel of the revolver looked just like the one in the pic except there was no greasy, hicky scum holding it. Might be particularly effective nowadays.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 1412/26/2012

I pull back the curtain on the door windows, stare them dead in the face, and go back to whatever I was doing. There's no reason to open the door. You're in your home; they're the intruders.

Fuck 'em.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 1512/26/2012

I put a picture of the Giudice girls on the front window. Voila.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 1612/26/2012

Guaranteed against Jehovah Witnesses. Works well against others.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 1712/26/2012

Try this link.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 1812/26/2012

I live in the country and am spared that sort of thing now. Previously, I would conduct a conversation through the (unopened) door.

Forcing strangers to state their business at high volume makes them come quickly to the point, and left me the option of saying, "No," and walking away. In the event it was someone legitimate calling, I could shift gear, apologize, and invite them in; they always seemed to understand.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 1912/26/2012

Answer the door in an open bathrobe. Well that wouldn't work for me, but for most of you DL'ers it'd work just fine.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 2012/27/2012

The kid was trying to sell me magazines. I'm checking Amazon for a creepy sign depicting a firearm.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 2112/27/2012

You mean rent boys? They're allowed in.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 2212/27/2012

"WE DON'T WANT ANY!" through the door. But these eldergays probably invite them in for tea and offer up their mussies, lonely sheltered creatures they are.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 2312/27/2012

I kid you not, i once saw a sign reading

"this property protected by pitbull with A.Y.D.S."

Would probably do the trick.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 2412/27/2012

We have a solicitor in our apts office. She has gotten away with it for years. Some tenants seem to be afraid to say no, because their rents are subsidized. One gay just throws her envelope in the trash. Another gives in. Myself, I finally said no. So she has become bolder. She puts flyers about her project where we cannot ignore it. She isn't doing anything illegal, according to my friend who knows the law.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 2512/28/2012

Jehovvah Witnesses-answer the door naked. All others? Answer the door with a shotgun in hand! Have 2 different doorbells, one for people you like and one for "all solicitors" rig it up to your electrical panel in your house. That'll do the trick! Works everytime.....they never come back!

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 2607/15/2014

[quote]Does anyone recall those black, white, and red plastic signs that had the barrel of a revolver on them and a sentence like "This property is protected?"

No, I didn't grow up on the corner of Shithole and Ghetto.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 2707/15/2014

R26 never happened.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 2807/15/2014

Sadly, it takes a pack of big mean-looking dogs.

Ours bark and raise hell as they jump around because they get excited about the possibility of a new crotch to sniff.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 2907/15/2014

I don't answer the door.

Someone is always sticking church literature in my door frame.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 3007/15/2014

Tell them you were just reading the Bible & The Lord told you to expect a visitor. Ask them if they would like to share The Word with you as you have a mission to spread the Good News. It works every time. If it's Mormons or JW's, tell them you are Catholic & they'll leave immediately.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 3107/15/2014

I have a walled and gated courtyard in front of my house. I keep the gate locked at all times and my dogs are usually out there.

People who know me call before they come over.

I often find flyers from merchants like Comcast and church groups, all of which are thrown in the recycle bin without reading.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 3207/15/2014

This is fascinating to me that so many people get in-person cold calls at home. As I posted in another thread, this has happened to me twice in my life.

I'd have fun with it - get all flirty with the person, or act like they've interrupted a home invasion/hostage situation.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 3307/15/2014

I never answer the door -- but one time, just for fun, I did. I knew the JWs were canvassing in my area (a very Puerto Rican section of FL), and I had seen Hispanic JWs driving around the neighborhood with the Spanish version of the Watchtower.

When I answered the door, they took one look at me and said, "We're just looking for Spanish-speakers -- sorry!"

I laughed and they ran back to their car.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 3407/15/2014

Earrings.

(See-through) Caftans.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 3507/15/2014

Wear a towel and a smile.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 3607/15/2014

What's wrong with solicitors?

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 3707/15/2014

If your HOA doesn't allow electric fences, a piranha-filled moat and anti personnel mines then a straightforward "why are you disturbing me?" tends to set the correct tone. There's nothing good going to come from an annoyed householder who wants to know why you're annoying them.

by A fan of uninterrupted sexreply 3807/15/2014
Need more help? Click Here.