Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My friends don't put up their Holiday Tree until Xmas Eve?

And they take it down on New Year's Eve Morning.

by Anonymousreply 2612/28/2012

Thanks for sharing.

by Anonymousreply 112/25/2012

How very dare they, OP! I hope you give them a vicious face-slapping. And do remember to write your Auntie Gladys a thank you note for the kid gloves she gave you. Kid gloves always add a touch of class to vicious slappings.

by Anonymousreply 212/25/2012

WOW,OP, I'm shocked to hear this, how long have you been friends with those nuts. That's just not done!!!

by Anonymousreply 312/25/2012

I did that once. New Year's Day my pussy started stinking. And the rest is history.

by Anonymousreply 412/25/2012

Who gives a shit? Are they supposed to put up a tree when you want them to? OP is an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 512/25/2012

The best time to put up a Xmas tree is on Xmas Eve. The tree looks great for Xmas day because it still looks fresh.

Taking it down a week later is great. The time for Xmas is between Xmas Eve and New Years Day.

Putting a Xmas tree up prior to Thanksgiving - like right after Halloween - is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 612/25/2012

My relatives in Germany did the same thing. I think it's a tradition from the days of real candles, when it was important to have the tree as fresh as possible (they were still lighting candles on the tree in the early 80's).

by Anonymousreply 712/25/2012

I like your friends, OP.

by Anonymousreply 812/25/2012

I think a lot of people put up their trees on Christmas Eve and take them down after Three Kings Day on January 6th. Sounds more sane than putting it up the day after Thanksgiving. Of course, you can always place the tree in the stand and hang the lights before hand. How long does it take to hang the ornaments and place the star on top of the tree? Sounds like a lovely tradition. If you have a nice buzz from the eggnog so much the better. It isn't about having everything perfect. Christmas should be fun and about inventing your own traditions.

by Anonymousreply 912/25/2012

good for them

by Anonymousreply 1012/25/2012

Dittto for us when we grew up in my Grandfathers 1894 Victorian house.

Becasue of candle usage this is how it was done.

by Anonymousreply 1212/25/2012

[quote] think a lot of people put up their trees on Christmas Eve and take them down after Three Kings Day on January 6th.

In some religions (orthodox Christian ones) Christmas IS January 6th.

by Anonymousreply 1312/25/2012

I hate it when my Xmas tree starts to look thin and grey like OP's pubic hair. Time to kill it.

by Anonymousreply 1412/25/2012

R9, come before me my child.

by Anonymousreply 1512/25/2012

Our neighbors, the Rosses in Pennington, NJ -- true story by the way, had a live tree in a pot. Went up before Christmas and stayed up til Easter.

Any time my parents saw someone who left their tree up or holiday lights up, they would proclaim: "They must be friends of the Rosses!"

by Anonymousreply 1612/25/2012

By family tradition, we always put up the tree and decorations two weeks before Christmas and leave them up until the day after New Years. We love the holiday season but putting it up immediately after Thanksgiving seems a bit too much.

by Anonymousreply 1712/25/2012

Is that a question, or is that how "upspeak" look in print?

by Anonymousreply 1812/25/2012

WTF is a 'Holiday Tree'?

by Anonymousreply 1912/25/2012

The German/Dutch family two doors down from us on Long Island in the 1960s did that as well. The tree went up on Christmas Eve. It was a beautifully decorated with old glass figural ornaments from the 1920s. We put our tree up around the 21st or 22nd of December. Our trees back then never lasted very long.

by Anonymousreply 2012/25/2012

[quote]I think a lot of people put up their trees on Christmas Eve and take them down after Three Kings Day on January 6th.

That's what I do. It's up for the 12 days of Christmas. I turned on the outside Christmas lights last night for the first time. My Christmas calendar isn't determined by Macy's and Walmart like most people here.

by Anonymousreply 2112/25/2012

That's dumb. I bet the reason they don't put it up till Xmas Eve is that they steal it from the lot, when the Xmas Tree guy goes home.

by Anonymousreply 2212/27/2012

If you go to a tree farm on the 23rd or 24th, you'll have a fresh tree for the whole Christmas season.

by Anonymousreply 2312/28/2012

It's bad luck to take down your tree after Christmas. We put ours up after Thanksgiving, and take it down on the's the rules!

by Anonymousreply 2412/28/2012

No, it's bad luck to still have a tree up after Epiphany on the 6th, R24. You can blame waiting till the 7th for all the bad luck in your life.

by Anonymousreply 2512/28/2012

thats the name of a black girl

is that like kwanza?

by Anonymousreply 2612/28/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!