Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cheap eggs taste bad, actually they hardly have any flavor at all.

I typically buy only from a farmer I know at Union Square, yesterday I bought eggs at the grocery.

The yolks are very place and they have precious little flavor.

by Anonymousreply 5012/29/2012

I prefer buffet style eggs.

by Anonymousreply 112/25/2012

Eggs are stored for a long time before they hit the supermarket shelves, OP.

by Anonymousreply 212/25/2012

Place eggs are the worst. I prefer non-place eggs.

by Anonymousreply 312/25/2012

I'll guess that "place" was autocorrect for "pale," perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 412/25/2012

Are "EB" eggs worth the money?

by Anonymousreply 512/25/2012

You are correct R4....and I didn't catch it.

by Anonymousreply 612/25/2012

There have been several reports in the past year or two challenging this notion, with all of the blind taste tests suggesting the difference lies in the mind and not on the tongue:

by Anonymousreply 712/25/2012

I recently bought eggs at Trader Joe's. I was surprised that the yolks were so bright - almost orange - and they tasted better than any eggs from PathMark. The yolks stood up so high and the whites didn't spread as soon as they hit the pan - a sure sign of freshness. They were actually cheaper, too.

by Anonymousreply 812/25/2012

Eggs I have eaten in other countries, primarily in Central and South America, have yolks that are almost orange, or a very deep yellow, almost an umber color.

Very flavorful.

American supermarket eggs, like American supermarket bread, is vastly inferior IMO.

by Anonymousreply 912/25/2012

Eggs are eggs to me. I buy the cheap grocery ones because I am cheap. A friend raises chickens for eggs. They have a better life than I do. She buys them produce and the very best food, sits in their chicken house to spend time with them. She always told me how much better they tasted. She would give me all the eggs I wanted but I decline because she sells them, I won't pay that much in the first place and would rather she sold them One time I did accept a dozen eggs and put them to the test. One of hers and one store bought. Mixed them up so I did not know which was which. Over easy in a little butter and they were the same to me. Could not tell the difference. Must admit that I don't like the way chickens are handled by the industry.

by Anonymousreply 1012/25/2012

R7 a study of 8 people in a home kitchen is not a study.

by Anonymousreply 1212/25/2012

Just have fancy butter with your grocery-bought eggs. I will stick with my farm-fresh eggs.

by Anonymousreply 1312/25/2012

I found out there is a Chinese company that has massively bought into the American egg industry, and they have been selling snake and lizard eggs as chicken eggs. It's disgusting and someone should do something about it!

by Anonymousreply 1412/25/2012

R10 would have a better life if she would be less cheap with herself.

by Anonymousreply 1612/25/2012

R14 you are full of shit. Lizard eggs are very expensive.

by Anonymousreply 1712/25/2012

OP, I agree with you. I've noticed that cheap eggs do not have a flavorful taste and have no taste at all.

I buy brown eggs which have more flavor.

Cheap eggs were not always tasteless. It is a recent occurance.

by Anonymousreply 1812/25/2012

You have a link for that bullshit, R14?

by Anonymousreply 1912/26/2012

I'm guessing that lizard eggs would be more expensive than chicken eggs.

by Anonymousreply 2012/26/2012

Eggs. Topic of one of the finest moments in film history.

by Anonymousreply 2112/26/2012

Free-range chickens eat bugs and worms and whatever they find in their foraging. They tend to have yellower yolks and some prefer their flavor. White or brown shells have more to do with the variety of chicken. And you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

by Anonymousreply 2212/26/2012

[R15] Herpes has been know to affect the brain. Just a though you say. I would not have thought that.

by Anonymousreply 2312/26/2012

Has anyone made an Ostrich egg omlette?

by Anonymousreply 2412/26/2012

Emu egg yes. Martha Stewart made omelets with an ostrich egg on her show

by Anonymousreply 2512/26/2012

R18, I recently bought some brown eggs from Sprouts. When I hard-cooked some of them with a little vinegar in the cooking water, the brown paint (dye?) came off them. They were white eggs that had been painted brown.

I don't really care since I buy brown and white eggs interchangeably according to what's on sale, but I would not be surprised if this isn't an industry-wide practice.

Martha Stewart (who raises her own chickens and eggs) said the difference in egg color has to do with the color of the chicken's ears, and since then I've read that brown eggs are not more nutritious than white.

by Anonymousreply 2612/26/2012

Key Food (a low end supermarket chain in Brooklyn) sells their own brand of free range organic yadda yadda eggs. Good prices and good eggs, excellent flavor and yolk quality. Another healthy sign is the shell itself: you have to crack those babies open with force.

by Anonymousreply 2812/26/2012

Green, pink and blue eggs are even more fun.

by Anonymousreply 2912/26/2012

Glamour eggs! The latest in East Coast fads! The chickens catch on hipster-flavored fire the moment the egg drops from the creature.

by Anonymousreply 3012/26/2012

[R29]/ Don't forget purple

by Anonymousreply 3112/26/2012

I didn't forget purple...what chicken do they come from. I didn't know there were purple eggs...natural ones.

by Anonymousreply 3212/26/2012

Possible it is the same as the pink. The chicken is a chinese chicken, the eggs are described as pink salmon to orchid. If you goggle purple eggs you will find other unexplained accounts of purple eggs appearing. I currently have a friend with a few purple eggs and used to know a couple that had several of the purple Chinese chickens. Diet an environmental factors may affect the intensity and hue of the color

by Anonymousreply 3312/26/2012

[quote]I typically buy only from a farmer I know at Union Square

Which one?

by Anonymousreply 3412/26/2012

One should only harvest daily morning fresh eggs from their organic feed hens. If I am in the city my staff makes sure I have ONLY FRESH eggs daily delivered from my farm. Sometimes I get a special blue egg! My staff only eat Wallmart eggs for their staff meal of which I deduct from their pay checks.

by Anonymousreply 3512/26/2012

R9, I hoe to god you meant "amber," rather than umber.

by Anonymousreply 3612/26/2012

Okay, so now I understand "umber." Autocorrect. But I can hardly believe that it corrected "hope" by changing it to "hoe." Perhaps it somehow picked up on my seasonal obsession; for days, every time someone said "ho, ho, ho!" I have thought of the Kardashians.

by Anonymousreply 3712/26/2012

I'm trying to find eggs that are soy-free/pastured in Brooklyn. Anyone know where I can find them?

I've only seen it online, but I'm not willing to pay 10 + shipping for a dozen eggs.

by Anonymousreply 3812/26/2012

R34 I buy from David...he also sells honey.

by Anonymousreply 3912/26/2012

[quote][R34] I buy from David...he also sells honey.

Thanks, I will try to figure out which market stand that is. I assume he's there on Saturdays.

by Anonymousreply 4012/26/2012

Wednesday and Friday I am sure...not sure about Saturday.

His eggs are green, the pasta folks usually have good eggs as well if David is out and they are there on Saturday. They sell brown for 4 a dozen for the medium.

by Anonymousreply 4112/27/2012

Thanks R41! I will go there tomorrow. I am craving some fresh eggs now.

I like boiled eggs. The way I cook them is by getting the water to boil, then turning the heat off, then letting the eggs in the hot water (covered) for about 10 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 4212/27/2012

If you're really into high-quality fresh eggs, you have got to try duck eggs! They're about the same size as chicken eggs, but the yolk is much larger in porportion and are such a deep yellow they're almost orange. Amazing flavor, and incredible to cook with. Use them for custards, or any recipe that calls for two yolks to one white.

I don't know where to get them commercially. Some relatives have a farm, and occasionally they give me some.

by Anonymousreply 4312/27/2012

Say what you will, nothing goes better with event toast than place eggs.

by Anonymousreply 4412/27/2012

Unless you have actually visited the farm where this Union Square "farmer" has his chickens, I wouldn't be so high and mighty OP.

by Anonymousreply 4512/27/2012

R45, I have been to David's farm many times. His wife and daughter make jams and I spent some time with he and his bees.

Most recently was September and I fed the chickens sunflower seeds.

by Anonymousreply 4612/28/2012

Does anyone know about Trader Joe's organic and free range products? Why is it so difficult to find any info on them? Who are their suppliers? What constitutes as free range for TJ? I buy their drumsticks and eggs as the prices are far below what is offered at the farmer markets. Drumsticks for $1.99 and $3.99 for the eggs. Those prices are closer to $4-5 for chicken and $5 for the eggs at the farmer markets. I'm little wary of TJ's organic and more important for me, the free range/humane treatment of the chickens.

And yes, I'm a cheap ass. I recently stopped buying factory farm meats because I could no longer in good conscience support that type of "farming". I actually do not care about the organic part as much, I just want farmers to treat their livestock at a decent level and without antibiotics and hormones. The switch though has doubled or trebled the cost of buying meat and eggs. I probably ate a less than average amount of meat before the switch but have lowered my intake further to help with the cost (and for health and environmental reasons too).

by Anonymousreply 4712/28/2012

Many say that both the 'regular' and organic at TJ's are the same and contain antibiotics. Buy at your own risk.

by Anonymousreply 4812/28/2012

R48 thanks for that but where does it state or imply that TJ's organic meat gets antibiotics?

It's hard to believe the US government allows for such wide-spread use of antibiotics in our meat supply. They really don't give a fuck.

"While most grocery stores, including Trader Joe’s, carry some no-antibiotic meat and poultry, Whole Foods is the only store that sells these products exclusively, according to a Consumer Reports investigation. The campaign is targeting Trader Joe’s because it already offers some chicken and beef raised without antibiotics, although no pork. Eighty percent of its products are private label, which means it has direct control over its suppliers. In recent years, the grocer has made a commitment to other sustainable purchasing practices, such as only carrying eggs from cage-free hens and sourcing its private label products with non-genetically modified ingredients."

by Anonymousreply 4912/28/2012

Trader Joe's has awful quality control and their food is full of gmos.

I eat Vital Farms Eggs. They're certified humane which means a 3rd party has verified they aren't full of antibiotics and hormones.

Chickens have ears?

by Anonymousreply 5012/29/2012
Need more help? Click Here.