Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How do you deal with emotionally immature people?

Share your stories here.

Adults who still act like 10 year old children.

by Anonymousreply 4211/12/2013

I stay OFF of Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 212/24/2012

Great training for that here on DL

by Anonymousreply 312/24/2012

And on theater message boards.

by Anonymousreply 412/24/2012

It goes on my resume as "passion for life"

by Anonymousreply 512/25/2012

OP - A good starting point is to look at one's own behavior. Sometimes we are emotionally immature or we do things that sets off other people. Then, we can work out how to deal with the other person.

by Anonymousreply 612/25/2012

I generally leave the room.

by Anonymousreply 712/25/2012

R7 is right.

by Anonymousreply 812/25/2012

This is a thread about the Streep Troll, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 912/25/2012

Avoid them.

by Anonymousreply 1012/25/2012

They usually just igmore me.

by Anonymousreply 1112/25/2012

OP, you have to be more specific about what the behavior is for us, so we know how to respond.

by Anonymousreply 1212/25/2012

Spank them.

by Anonymousreply 1312/25/2012

[quote]Share your stories here. Adults who still act like 10 year old children.

No time for billion story. Busy shopping. Maybe later.

by Anonymousreply 1412/25/2012

There's not much you can do other than to avoid topics and situations that upset them. A relative of mine was raised by an abusive alcoholic father and never matured emotionally beyond the level of a teenager (she's now in her 60s). She's more or less incapable of civilly disagreeing with opinions that are contrary to hers and is unnecessarily nasty over petty things. Thankfully I only have to see her a few times a year at this point.

by Anonymousreply 1512/25/2012

LOL! Well OP, I usually just laugh at them on this site.

by Anonymousreply 1612/25/2012

My sister (mid-60s) just yelled something loudly and slammed a door, at 2:15am in the house of our elderly mother. I don't think my mom was involved. I guess she was just thinking about something that pissed her off, but my God was that inappropriate. The bitch scares me. She is like a giant child.

by Anonymousreply 1712/27/2012

You can get a lot of practice dealing with them on this site.

by Anonymousreply 1812/27/2012

R17 your big sister is an elder abuser keep an eye out for her. Slamming doors is just some of the bullshit they do.

by Anonymousreply 1912/27/2012

by Anonymousreply 2012/27/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2112/27/2012

I try to get rid of the as best as possible. They are usually very selfish and a friendship with them is a one sided thing.

by Anonymousreply 2212/27/2012

Maturity is a myth old people tell children to justify their position of power in society. The fact that OP "fell for it" means that he is one of these immature chuckleheads of whom he is so dismissive.

by Anonymousreply 2312/27/2012

What about a 45 year old that still throws temper tantrums?

by Anonymousreply 2412/27/2012

Like the ban the "insert name" troll poster here?

by Anonymousreply 2612/27/2012

Punch. Delete.

by Anonymousreply 2712/27/2012

Such people make good teachers because they really connect with their law students.

by Anonymousreply 2812/27/2012

I worked for someone like that. I recall a day when she couldn't get someone into the e-time sheet app she screams at me like a five year old. I calmly explained that if she checked her email she would understand that the I.T. unit had to add the person in two databases, then HR which she handled, had to add them in a 3rd database so that they could then log their time.

For that I got an apology from the Chief of Staff.

by Anonymousreply 2912/27/2012

An elderly (non-senile) woman I know sobs like a little girl when things don't go her way. She sometimes stamps her feet as well.

by Anonymousreply 3012/27/2012

anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 3101/08/2013

**Warning blog length post**

I was messaging a friend (ex co-worker) on FB and mentioned that my partner and I were going on a 2 week vacation. I told her we were concerned about leaving our 16 year old dog at a kennel. She said her son might be able to pet sit since he was about to be laid off, so I asked her to have him contact me.

We didn't hear from him so two weeks later we booked a spot in a kennel.

Our dog has had a lot of anxiety since our other dog died in August, and the son of my friend has two dogs which would make a great pack for our dog to join while we are gone. I sent her another message four weeks after the first message and asked her if she ever asked her son about pet sitting.

A week later her son contacts us and says he is interested, so I sent him an email with information about our pets, our schedule, what we were looking for in a pet sitter and the fact that we did have a reservation with a kennel. I also told him we'd call him the following night.

When we spoke with him, he wasn't sure what he felt a fair price to charge us would be and he couldn't make an appointment to introduce our dogs because he wasn't sure what his schedule was. I told him to call us on Sunday.

Sunday came and went and we didn't hear back from him. On Monday morning, the kennel called and said if we wanted to keep the appointment we'd have to secure it with a credit card, Around noon the son left a voice message stating that he was sorry he forgot to call us on Sunday.

I sent the son an email stating that we were going with the kennel since we hadn't been able to sync up with him and that I was sorry we couldn't work out the details in a timely manner.

Well, I first got a message from his mom asking me why we didn't want her son to pet sit and that he would take good care of our dog. I then got an email from the son that seemed a bit angry. He explained to me that he was counting on the money and had sort of planned a move (to another state) around this pet sitting "gig". We had never promised him the job.

If this guy was 15 his immaturity would be understandable, but he is 33 years old.

Should I just drop it at this point, or should I send him an email explaining that I feel he is too irresponsible to pet sit for us?

by Anonymousreply 3211/11/2013

DEFINITELY drop it. He [italic]is[/italic] too irresponsible to pet sit your dog.

by Anonymousreply 3311/11/2013

[quote]A relative of mine was raised by an abusive alcoholic father and never matured emotionally beyond the level of a teenager (she's now in her 60s). She's more or less incapable of civilly disagreeing with opinions that are contrary to hers and is unnecessarily nasty over petty things.

This sounds like my mother.

by Anonymousreply 3411/11/2013

[quote]She's more or less incapable of civilly disagreeing with opinions that are contrary to hers and is unnecessarily nasty over petty things.

Does she post on DL as the Presenting Troll?

by Anonymousreply 3511/11/2013

[quote]Avoid them.

Honestly the only way. Whenever I realize someone is not very emotionally stable and mature I generally avoid them as much as it is polite to do so, sometimes with coworkers and mutual acquaintances you have to deal but I'll never become close to them. We get to chose the people we are close to and I don't need the histrionics of having people like that in my life.

by Anonymousreply 3711/11/2013

I work in an open office. Not cubicles, all our desks are in one large open space. Two of my coworkers are women who pout and whine like two-year-olds. Anytime something frustrates them, they begin with the whining and pouting. They're both in their twenties, maybe they think it's cute to behave like an toddler in a professional environment. It's irritating has hell.

For Halloween some decorations went up in the office, typical goofy harmless Halloween stuff. One of the items was a small rubber snake. When the decorations came down, one coworker dropped the small rubber snake on to another coworker's desk, a woman in her thirties. She screamed bloody murder, ran to the corner and started sobbing. I guess she has a fear of snakes, ok, but for a full week she walked past this very same one a hundred times.

A few weeks ago at the supermarket, there was a checkout line of about six people. I was number two in line when this young woman lined up at the end of the line but immediately started whining about having to wait in line. Then she began whimpering and stomping her feet. She was alone, so her whining and whimpering wasn't to a friend. A second cashier opened up, and she sprinted up screeching about how she had waited too long so it was her turn to go next, even though there were several people already lined up.

by Anonymousreply 3811/11/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3911/11/2013

They elect me president!

by Anonymousreply 4011/12/2013

Avoid, avoid, avoid. Avoid them, and when you can't, avoid anything that might set them off. Keep them at arm's length and get away as fast as you can.

by Anonymousreply 4111/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!