Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What exactly does "papi" mean?

Is it an age or a type of guy? Is it different than a bear?

by Anonymousreply 3712/28/2012

I asked the same question when someone called me a "papi" and he said it is another word for "daddy".

by Anonymousreply 112/24/2012

but i just saw a craigs list for "partied up papi" and the age was 25. I dont get it.

by Anonymousreply 212/24/2012

A child calls his/her father "Papi" which means "Daddy." But Papi (and its female equivalent Mami) can also be used as a term of endearment for peoples of all ages (the Puerto Rican side of my family calls my baby nephew Papi), usually affectionately and often to someone considered sexy. (It does not mean Daddy as in an older man.)

by Anonymousreply 312/24/2012

It is used differently in different countries. Mexicans don't use that word in a sexual context, like how Puerto Ricans do.

by Anonymousreply 612/24/2012

Archie) She's calling me papi, I'm not her papi

Theresa) Oh that's what we call all the cute old men.

Theresa the border on "All In The Family"

by Anonymousreply 712/24/2012

R6 is correct. The usage varies from area to area, and in general, people of Mexican descent do NOT use 'papi' in a sexual way.

by Anonymousreply 1012/24/2012

OOH ... Hector Elizondo!

by Anonymousreply 1112/24/2012

Their loss.

by Anonymousreply 1212/24/2012

The guy I met on Craigslist a couple of weeks ago is originally from South America. Uruguay, I think. And he wants me to call him Papi while he fucks me.

by Anonymousreply 1312/24/2012

[quote]in general, people of Mexican descent do NOT use 'papi' in a sexual way.

What about that CHASING PAPI movie starring Mexican actor Eduardo Verástegui? He's a player in that.

by Anonymousreply 1412/24/2012

I'm Hispanic, and I can corroborate R6 as well. In that movie, the "papi" refers to the "stud" that R8 mentions - it just means "alpha male", not necessarily a term of sexual desire.

by Anonymousreply 1512/24/2012

Hey, did Eduardo Verastegui ever come out of the closet? The Mexican tabloids linked him with Ricky Martin back when Martin was still pretending to be straight.

by Anonymousreply 1612/24/2012

I'd ask my blatino husbear, but he's too busy fucking me with his thick, uncut enormous Domincan pinga.

by Anonymousreply 1712/24/2012

I get "papá" a lot from gay guys from Mexico. I can't tell whether it's equivalent to "daddy" or "dude."

by Anonymousreply 1812/24/2012

It means the same thing as "Imzadi" in Betazoid.

by Anonymousreply 1912/24/2012

by Anonymousreply 2012/24/2012

Deanna, someone is going to have you ejected into space for that.

by Anonymousreply 2112/24/2012

R10, I will have you ejected into space!

by Anonymousreply 2212/24/2012

I prefer to be called "pa" instead of papi. Dudes are too quick to call a guy papi without a proper relational foundation with you. I like how Dominicans call me "pa" with an air of masculine respect.

by Anonymousreply 2312/24/2012

R9, a papi chulo is a sexy guy.

by Anonymousreply 2412/24/2012

Come on over to mi casa and I will show you what a "papi" is baby.

by Anonymousreply 2512/27/2012

well, R20 just embarrassed himself and showed he has no clue about language.

by Anonymousreply 2712/28/2012

R26, is it sort of like how some people hate it when a stranger, like a sales person or waitress, gets over familiar and calls them "honey?"

by Anonymousreply 2812/28/2012

I learned about "papi" the right way- met a very hot hispanic fellow about 4 AM returning to the house one summer evening in the Pines.

One of the more memorable encounters in my life (probably 95% of them are forgotten or a haze)- sex, all manner until about 11 AM, and he used "papi" all the time. I got it- and a lot more.

by Anonymousreply 2912/28/2012

'Papi' grosses me out. It's worse than shaved pubes. Roughly on the same level as being cruised by an old chub or a sissy prisspot. BARF.

This older, closeted Muslim guy I work with gave me a pair of skimpy black Papi-brand briefs, and they're mortifying. I sometimes wear them when all other underwear is in the hamper and I haven't had a chance to do laundry.

by Anonymousreply 3012/28/2012

Papi is an expression of endearment.

by Anonymousreply 3112/28/2012

Papi from a girl:

To her lover - sex talk

To her son - term of endearment

To her Dad - Daddy

Papi from a straight guy:

To his buddy - Dude, stud

To his father - Dad

To a total stranger - I'm being friendly, somewhat familiar, you're probably around my age, but not a sexual thing at all (neither something ever used towards a respected elder nor a term of endearment). Your car mechanic may call you papi when he's delivering bad news for instance (but "papa" is the more frequently used term of choice).

Papi from a gay guy:

The above for straight guys, plus:

To an object of desire - a definite come on

To a lover - sex talk

To an object of derision - dripping with the bitchiest drag queeny sarcasm.

Papito is most frequently a sexual term or a term of eandearment.

And papi with any adjective after it (chulo, rico, chevere) covers the gamut between endearment, flirtation, and outright sex)

by Anonymousreply 3212/28/2012

Oops and papi from a girl to a stranger: similar to the straight guy's approach to a stranger except she should be careful to restrict it to the very young or the very old because anyone qualified to be a date/gentleman caller/whatever can get mixed signals.

by Anonymousreply 3312/28/2012

Now tell us about "Mami".

by Anonymousreply 3412/28/2012

And I will laugh from cold maw of SPACE!

by Anonymousreply 3512/28/2012

I get called papi a lot. Does "papo" mean the same thing as "papi"? One of my Latino coworkers who is a guy calls me "papo" all the time.

by Anonymousreply 3612/28/2012

"Papo" is the Puerto Rican equivalent of "Mac", as in "Hey Mac" or "Hey pal", "Daddy-O", etc. And probably from the same era - though some may still use it

by Anonymousreply 3712/28/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!