Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why does Paul Rudd only do those douchey lowbrow comedies?

I know they make him a fortune, but he must be sick of them at some point. How many fart jokes does he want to do on screen? it's not like he's homely (like Seth Rogan and Jonah Hill) or untalented (like Ashton Kutcher) and can't do anything else.

by Anonymousreply 4903/25/2013

I think he had said in a interview that he prefers to work in comedy, and not drama.

by Anonymousreply 112/24/2012

No offense, but isn't Paul Rudd just a repurposed Andrew McCarthy?

by Anonymousreply 212/24/2012

I know he's one of the most sought after actors every pilot season, but doesn't have any interest in TV.

by Anonymousreply 312/24/2012

He should do more rom-coms. He's extremely handsome and funny. I guess Apatow likes to have him around as the token good looking guy among the cast of fugly stoner losers like Hill and Rogan.

by Anonymousreply 412/24/2012

He's just finishing up a 3-month run on Broadway in a very serious play called GRACE with Michael Shannon.

He's very good in it, too. No comedy at all.

(Ed Asner is the comic relief!)

by Anonymousreply 512/24/2012

the luckiest man in hollywood

by Anonymousreply 712/24/2012

As Ann Sothern said about her lack of quality work. "I'm an actress and I want to work. I can't sit around and starve while waiting for quality scripts to come along."

by Anonymousreply 812/24/2012

I agree. He's decent looking and lucky. He will never be considered a great actor. Like Michael J Fox, always plans the same guy, whether TV or film. I don't think his latest pic will do that great, but they are advertising the hell out of it.

by Anonymousreply 912/24/2012

I watched Our Idiot Brother on one of the cable channels yesterday. It was actually decent but I did remember the trailer for it was horrible.

by Anonymousreply 1012/24/2012

And Ashton Kutcher actually tries to better himself... Honestly, Paul Rudd's career it's not admirable and he is average looking, maybe cute. Time to forget about him.

by Anonymousreply 1112/24/2012

I'm sure they make him a fortune and allow him to do stage work and indie projects that don't pay so well. He was stunningly beautiful in the 90s - couldn't take my eyes off him in "Romeo and Juliet" and "Clueless." I imagine straight guys find him non-threatening which is why he keeps getting cast.

by Anonymousreply 1212/24/2012

God, THOSE EYES.

by Anonymousreply 1312/24/2012

He finds better work on stage. Better work on film may not be offered him as Hollywood has pegged him as a go to guy for dreck.

by Anonymousreply 1412/24/2012

He seems like he'd be a total asshole.

by Anonymousreply 1512/24/2012

Paul Rudd defines LUCKY. Long after many of his peers from his "Clueless" days have hit the skids, he found a niche in the Apatow-style comedies. He's quite short, as noted, and far less of a striking presence in person (I've seen him in NYC several times). If Apatow et al. weren't still making those terrible comedies, he'd have no career at all.

BTW, he's doing a play in NYC right now. And it's terrible.

by Anonymousreply 1612/24/2012

r6, I've seen him in the West Village. He's not pocket sized. He's probably around 5' 10".

by Anonymousreply 1712/24/2012

Yes, he's not particularly short but his arms are insanely short. Take a look at his proportions when he's in a full frame shot.

Very hard to buy shirts for him off the rack.

by Anonymousreply 1812/24/2012

He needs to show his penis in his movies. Every movie.

by Anonymousreply 1912/24/2012

The only reason Apatow is so fond of him is because Rudd looks like a younger version of himself. He's surreptitiously casting himself in all of these movies.

by Anonymousreply 2012/24/2012

I don't find him funny.

by Anonymousreply 2112/24/2012

[R20], he basically admitted just that when they were on Anderson's show last week.

by Anonymousreply 2212/24/2012

Are you kidding, r20? Apatow looks like an Aardvark. Rudd is handsome and charming. No one in Hollywood has a bad thing to say about him. He really is the nice, borderline schlub, he plays in movies. I Love You, Man is funny and sweet and really showcases his comic timing. Even Jason Segal was entertaining in that movie and that's saying something. Playing off Rudd made him funnier.

by Anonymousreply 2312/24/2012

He was in the worst film I've ever seen, "I Could Never Be Your Woman" with Michelle Pfeiffer. Execrable movie. I only watched him because I love him.

by Anonymousreply 2412/24/2012

He was also in the terrible "How Do You Know?" with Reese W.

"I Love You, Man" was light-years better than I thought it would be. I adored that film.

by Anonymousreply 2512/24/2012

r6 r16 r15

These guys are so antisemetic

by Anonymousreply 2612/24/2012

He was brilliant in " le chateau"

by Anonymousreply 2712/24/2012

I liked him in that Neil La Butte movie where the girl makes him over as an art project. Rachel Weisz plays the ultimate "Manic Pixie Dreamgirl."

by Anonymousreply 2812/24/2012

'Genius' because you watch Anderson Cooper, R22?

by Anonymousreply 2912/24/2012

Rudd was very attractive in a cute way in his youth. Lots of people got a crush on him from Clueless so he gets more mention than his career deserves. He's an okay actor but nothing great. What I suspect is that he's lazy and he found an easy wasy to make good money and be a sorta star without stretching himself or contributing anything to the "art." There are plenty like him in the biz in other jobs, e.g., directors.

I also doubt he gets offers for films of substance.

by Anonymousreply 3012/24/2012

Is he gay?

I got to 20 posts and no one's said it

by Anonymousreply 3112/24/2012

I actually think he's a more interesting actor than a lot of guys getting leads these days, and wish either he or his agent would book a part that would make him "A-list." I think he's a better actor than Bradley Cooper, who I guess is now considered a top star.

If he were in the right project with a good director, I think he could be comparable to someone like George Clooney (who is an excellent actor in the right parts).

Comedy is HARD, and playing it well is a real skill...he needs to push himself. (For what it's worth, I think Steve Carell is an excellent comic actor, and he's tested himself with some good stuff outside of the Apatow fratboy comedies).

by Anonymousreply 3212/24/2012

Not gay. Married with a child - I used to see them all the time at Florent in the West Village.

by Anonymousreply 3312/24/2012

Robert Reed, not gay marred with child.

by Anonymousreply 3412/24/2012

r17 - Oh, well maybe it is the t-rex arms throwing me off.

by Anonymousreply 3512/24/2012

Paul Rudd is cute if you like fat Jewish guys that can't act and probably don't wash properly.

by Anonymousreply 3612/27/2012

Cute doesn't last forever.

by Anonymousreply 3712/27/2012

His stomach though seems to just go on and on forever.

by Anonymousreply 3812/27/2012

Remember when he was in the Lincoln Center production of Twelfth Night with Helen Hunt and everyone just rhapsodised about his entrance in a pool of water? He must've been working out then. People thought he was irresistible.

by Anonymousreply 3912/27/2012

He. Is. A. Heterosexual.

Sometimes it happens.

by Anonymousreply 4012/27/2012

Perhaps because HE is douchey and lowbrow.

by Anonymousreply 4112/27/2012

I read on here that Rudd danced with the dick during his theater days...

by Anonymousreply 4212/27/2012

DO NOT

Repeat DO NOT

Go to the Detroit Airport unless you call first.

There are many cancellations today.

by Anonymousreply 4312/27/2012

Is he really a jew? I read in New York magazine where he stated he was of Irish descent. Irish jew? Which is it?

by Anonymousreply 4412/28/2012

I think that type of movie is his forte. I really can't see him in a role that demands a great deal of depth. Oh, well. Whatever pays his bills, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 4512/28/2012

Rudd is from Russia and his name is like Ruddski.

He is screwy cause his parents didn't speak the English well, so they got him circumcised when he was 8 YEARS old, not 8 days old. They also gave him a bar mitzva when he was 1.3 years old

Still you can just picture him taking land from Palestinians can't you?

by Anonymousreply 4612/29/2012

There he is on the poster for his latest bomb, pants down to ankles and taking a poop. Sums his entire career up. Vomit.

I remember thinking "Couldn't they have gotten a cuter Leading Man?" -- back when I saw "Clueless"! He wasn't even funny on "Friends" and that takes some work.

He's the opposite of a star. No "It" factor, no "there" there.

by Anonymousreply 4712/29/2012

Like Bradley Cooper Paul was actually a classical actor, yet found a niche in fratboy comedies. I think he'd be at least as good as Bradders.

I'm not sure what the dramatic roles are in his filmography, but since I love him and would watch any shit with him I'd love to see them.

I like it when actors move away from the types of roles they're known for - comedians doing dramatic is the most interesting, I even liked Jonah Hill. I loved when Goldie Hawn did this thriller.

by Anonymousreply 4803/25/2013

Most women find him appealing and most (straight) men find him non-threatening, hence his continued popularity. The opinions of a bunch of bitter Datalounge queens are hardly relevant.

I haven't seen him in more serious roles, but he certainly does the romantic comedy genre very well.

by Anonymousreply 4903/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.