Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I just started watching Doctor Who

I started with the most recent season. I'm five episodes in.

Can someone tell me, are all the girls he chooses as traveling companions annoying bitches?

by Anonymousreply 2412/28/2012

Donna Noble is the best companion. She made a guest appearance in the Christmas special at the end of Season 2. And then she came back for Season 4.

by Anonymousreply 112/23/2012

Op, start with eccleston. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 212/24/2012

Pretty much. Donna was great. Martha was pretty cool too when she wasn't lovesick. Rose is an intolerable skank.

by Anonymousreply 312/24/2012

No. Of the recent companions only Rose was really. But you should start at the beginning - or at the very leas go back to the third Doctor (Jon Pertwee) to see how the role of companion has changed.

by Anonymousreply 412/24/2012

The companion's role is to ask any of the pesky questions the audience may have regarding the plot. They move things along.

Please remember that the target audience is made up of teen boys and the companions are designed to reflect what teen boys see.

by Anonymousreply 512/24/2012

The companions in the original series were the best.

by Anonymousreply 612/24/2012

That's funny, because I stopped watching with this new Doctor and showrunner Moffet. Blech.

by Anonymousreply 712/24/2012

There is a Christmas special called "The Snowmen" on for Christmas Day on the SPACE Network.

by Anonymousreply 812/24/2012

by Anonymousreply 912/24/2012

You want TO mate? Not with me sunshine!

by Anonymousreply 1012/24/2012

Donna is far and away the best of the recent companions

by Anonymousreply 1112/24/2012

I heard from a decent source that the next Dr will have "homosexual leanings" and they will bring back Captain Jack. I sure hope so.

by Anonymousreply 1212/24/2012

The new companion Clara Oswin Oswald seems as if she's going to be just as "special" as we were always told Amy Pond was. We'll get to spend the rest of the season finding out how/why she reincarnates. I prefer when the companions were just normal.

by Anonymousreply 1312/27/2012

I love the Victorian lesbian lizard lady and her human wife. Hope to see more of them.

by Anonymousreply 1412/27/2012

Rose was great! What the hell was bitchy about her character? Donna was ok but a bit of a fishwife.

by Anonymousreply 1512/27/2012

I loved the Martha Jones story arc, but my favorite was Donna Noble. Like Jack, she is "a Fact in Time" and made me laugh. I stopped watching the latest incarnation mostly because of Amy. I think I'm one of the few, though.

by Anonymousreply 1612/27/2012

Donna was the character who evolved the most, especially since her first appearance, and was also the most empathic. It was moving when, during the destruction of Vesuvius, she pleaded with the Doctor, "Save someone, just one person". It was also nice that she was among the few companions who didn't fall in love with the Doctor, as it seems all female companions are wont to do now.

by Anonymousreply 1712/27/2012

Some good 'Doctor Who' companions from the original series:

1. William Russell - Ian (Hartnell)

2. Jacqueline Hill - Barbara (Hartnell)

3. Caroline John - Liz Shaw (Pertwee)

4. Elisabeth Sladen - Sarah Jane Smith (Pertwee, T. Baker etc.)

5. Mary Tamm - Romana (T. Baker)

by Anonymousreply 1812/28/2012

I finally enjoyed a DW christmas special again. The last two were unwatchable. This one was quite entertaining from beginning to end. I think it helps the story when the Doctor deals with a more permanent character. Like the new companion too. Although it looks a bit fake, I like her perkiness.

by Anonymousreply 1912/28/2012

Is there some reason he has a companion and is it a sexual relationship or what? Some other scifi show had "companions" that were elite, trained courtesans.

by Anonymousreply 2012/28/2012

R20, no, Doctor Who is basically asexual and has never been involved with any of his companions.

by Anonymousreply 2112/28/2012

...except River Song.

by Anonymousreply 2212/28/2012

R22, but The Doctor and River Song haven't really been romantically involved from what I can tell, other than some platonic teasing.

They had the opportunity to have her turn out to be The Doctor's wife or something and they turned around and did something ridiculous like make her Amy & Rory's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 2312/28/2012

[quote]Donna was the character who evolved the most, especially since her first appearance, and was also the most empathic

Empathetic. She's not empathic. For some reason people get these mixed up on DL.

by Anonymousreply 2412/28/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!