Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

A Young Doctor's Notebook

What do the Brits think?

Dan Rad & John Hamm play the same Russian doctor - 20 or so years apart. It's original, I'll give it that. Don't know how I felt about mining a little girl's amputation for laughs given how graphic the scene was. (Not exactly Walking Dead territory, but still). I do like how Hamm and Radcliffe play off each other.

by Anonymousreply 1610/14/2013

Yes, I am bumping my own thread.

by Anonymousreply 112/23/2012

What is this?

by Anonymousreply 212/23/2012

A new television show. Three episodes so far. Radcliffe plays a young doctor just out of the Imperial Medical School who gets assigned to some godforsaken oupost to run a rural hospital.

Hamm plays the same doctor in the 30's being interrogated by the communist authorities for drug addiction. The two versions of the same doctor interact back in the 1910's. There's some gruesome bits of comedy. Radcliffe decides he can do a tooth extraction and winds up taking part of the guys jaw off in the process. He decides to keep the bone to remind himself that he's "a butcher." Later, you see Hamm has indeed kept the bit of jawbone all these years later.

by Anonymousreply 312/23/2012

We've seen the photos of Jon and Dan in the tub together. What's the homo content of the series?

by Anonymousreply 412/24/2012

Aside from a patient with syphillis (or was it gonorrhea) on his penis and in his throat--not much. In another episode you find out the patient's wife is disease free. Hmmmm.

There are scenes of Hamm and Radcliffe in bed, but they're clothed and they're the same character, so unless they do something very interesting re masturbation...

by Anonymousreply 512/24/2012

shreeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeee K

by Anonymousreply 612/24/2012

I thought it was Mel Brooks style unsubtle humour and quite honestly nowhere near funny enough. Neither of the actors is particularly well suited to the type of material and they overact when subtle would have been more effective.

I can see it appealing to an older audience who still values slapstick but it's not the dark edgy comedy we were promised.

by Anonymousreply 712/24/2012

"I can see it appealing to an older audience who still values slapstick but it's not the dark edgy comedy we were promised."

I can't tell you how funny this sounds to me.

by Anonymousreply 812/24/2012

I've seen the billboards but it's currently only screening on Sky, which is Murdoch's satellite tv service. I don't know anyone who subscribes. A lot of the programmes discussed on DL, such as Girls, Boardwalk Empire, Glee, True Blood and The Walking Dead are only on Sky so a lot of us don't get to see them until they're picked up by freeview a year or so later.

by Anonymousreply 912/24/2012

R8

Perhaps I read the wrong things, R8 . If it was supposed to be like Young Frankenstein I apologise.

by Anonymousreply 1012/24/2012

I was going to watch it but I heard about the amputation scene and gave it a miss. My partner is a right leg amputee above the knee. It still surprises me that the British think that's so funny.

by Anonymousreply 1112/24/2012

I also think it's odd they put it on Sky Arts, where most of the content is documentary. They were trying to give it some highbrow cachet which it doesn't merit. It would have been better following that comedy they have about the beach cafe in the West Country.

by Anonymousreply 1212/24/2012

is this some kind of adaptation or knock off of A Country Doctor's Notebook by Bulgakov?

by Anonymousreply 1312/24/2012

Yes it is R13

by Anonymousreply 1412/24/2012

Just started watching thiss on Ovation.

Enjoying it so far, and the play between the old and young character is interesting. Good supporting cast, too.

Only four half-hour episodes, so easy to digest in short helpings.

by Anonymousreply 1510/12/2013

That was some gruesome amputation. I blocked the bottom of the screen and fast-forwarded through it.

by Anonymousreply 1610/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.