Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I, RHODA by Valerie Harper

Guess which new autobiography we're all buying when it comes out on January 15, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 17410/24/2013

I want to hear about her days in "Valerie's Family." Did she really think she could pull down the same salary as Bill Cosby?

by Anonymousreply 212/22/2012

It goes through "MTM" and "Rhoda" past "Valerie's Family" and her fights with Melissa Gilbert up to her recent one-woman show as Tallulah Bankhead!

by Anonymousreply 312/22/2012

I want to hear her side of the battle with Melissa Gilbert to become SAG president!

In Melissa's autobiography, she referred to Valerie and her minions as "The Valiban."

by Anonymousreply 412/22/2012

She won her court case, r2, 1.4 million plus 12% of the show's profits. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the issue was that Valerie had created the show, she wasn't just a hired hand. But then the network denied she created it and were trying to gyp her out of the extra money she'd get as the show's creator.

by Anonymousreply 512/22/2012

Melissa Gilbert fights with everyone and anyone, from Natassja Kinski to her own husband Bruce Boxleitner. No one can stand her or ever could.

by Anonymousreply 612/22/2012

[quote]I want to hear her side of the battle with Melissa Gilbert

What's there to hear? Bitch stole my shitbra!

by Anonymousreply 712/22/2012

Why don't any of the networks show "Rhoda?"

by Anonymousreply 812/22/2012

"Mary was a cunt on set."

by Anonymousreply 912/22/2012

Why don't any of the networks show "Angie?"

by Anonymousreply 1012/22/2012

She's still working, she won't be revealing anything of note.

by Anonymousreply 1112/22/2012

I, Rhoda? What is this, a BBC drama about Caligula?

by Anonymousreply 1212/22/2012

I've always loved the fact that the definitive jewish mother and daughter relationship portrayed on tv was by two non-jews.

by Anonymousreply 1312/22/2012

Too bad Nancy Walker never got around to writing her autobiography. She could have called it I, IDA.

by Anonymousreply 1512/23/2012

What's with the sudden increase in posts and threads about sitcom actresses from the 70s and 80s?

by Anonymousreply 1612/23/2012

[quote]What's with the sudden increase in posts and threads about sitcom actresses from the 70s and 80s?

I don't know, r16, but I'm waiting breathlessly for I, STEPFANIE.

by Anonymousreply 1712/23/2012

Powers, Zimbalist, or Beecham?

by Anonymousreply 1812/23/2012

R8, ALN (American Life Network) was running both Phyllis and Rhoda last year.

by Anonymousreply 1912/23/2012

You'll have to wait your turn, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 2012/23/2012

I hope this thread continues. It is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 2112/23/2012

This thread needs some testosterone. Help me name my autobiography, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 2212/23/2012

Will she reveal who was sleeping with whom in the Original Broadway Cast of LI'L ABNER?

by Anonymousreply 2312/23/2012

Still naked and in my car.

by Anonymousreply 2412/23/2012

You better stay in there Jan, or you'll get run over by a truck again.

by Anonymousreply 2512/23/2012

It won't be half as good as "Damn, Damn, Damn: How Florida Evans Got From Rich Westchester to Poor Chicago" by Esther Rolle.

by Anonymousreply 2612/23/2012

Valerie is in the film of "Li'l Abner" as one of the wives.

by Anonymousreply 2712/23/2012

Bitch stole the title of her book from me!

And I was the first Rhoda!

by Anonymousreply 2812/23/2012

R18? There was only ONE actress who spelled her name Stepfanie. And she was on HUNTER.

by Anonymousreply 2912/23/2012

I spelled it that way FIRST!

by Anonymousreply 3012/23/2012

Only is she gives us dirt lots of on Bajour, Wildcat, and Subways are for Sleeping!

by Anonymousreply 3112/23/2012

Val is too adjusted and even tempered to write a good dishy autobiography. And only 300 odd pages? She's over 70 years old!

by Anonymousreply 3212/23/2012

I worked on a production with Valerie Harper years ago and she was the nicest, most down-to-earth person you could ever know. Everybody on the crew adored her. It's too bad all actresses/actors can't be as lovely as she is.

by Anonymousreply 3312/23/2012

I think we can say with certainty that r33 is most definitely NOT Miss Julie Kavner.

by Anonymousreply 3412/23/2012

The title is odd.

It's like Faye Dunaway Syndrome in reverse: I only want to be known for one role!

by Anonymousreply 3512/23/2012

Did Val and Julie Kavner not get along?

by Anonymousreply 3612/23/2012

Julie's PR people always warn interviewers, please do not ask about the TV show 'Rhoda'

by Anonymousreply 3712/23/2012

R33, if everyone was so nice, we wouldn't get good bio/autobiographies.

by Anonymousreply 3812/23/2012

What's with the title of Valerie Harper's book? It sounds weird and uncreative.

by Anonymousreply 3912/23/2012

Julie Kavner hated herself on Rhoda, not Valerie.

by Anonymousreply 4012/23/2012

Julie Kavner, though I love her, is a notorious oddball. She also refuses to be filmed recording The Simpsons, and won't do interviews about that show either. She appeared on James Lipton's Actors Studio with the rest of the cast, but it was supposed to be a big deal that she agreed to it, and she left after one segment.

by Anonymousreply 4212/23/2012

r39, the publisher chooses the title and book cover, the author has nothing to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 4312/23/2012

Is Julie a prima dona or just a neurotic jerk?

by Anonymousreply 4412/23/2012

R43: You don't know what you're talking about.

I'm not nearly as famous as she, but I've had a say in every book cover, both title and image.

by Anonymousreply 4512/23/2012

I hit her with a shit bra!

by Anonymousreply 4612/23/2012

Hulu has first 3 seasons of Rhoda fyi

by Anonymousreply 4712/23/2012

R37 Julie Kavner dislikes talking about her past work, not just RHODA. Interviewers are also forbidden to ask her to speak like Marge. She walked out of a taping of ACTORS STUDIO because of that.

by Anonymousreply 4812/23/2012

I could kill Valerie for stealing my title. I'm sure you'll all agree that it's much more appropriate for me.

by Anonymousreply 4912/23/2012

[quote] Julie Kavner dislikes talking about her past work, not just RHODA

There goes the Rhoda reunion

by Anonymousreply 5012/23/2012

Who are you, r45? Unless you tell us, your post is useless.

I'm friends with two non-fiction authors who've had absolutely no choice in title or cover. This was for their combined 6 books for major publishers.

by Anonymousreply 5112/23/2012

It really depends on the publishing house, the editor, and the author's clout as to whether or not the author gets some say in the cover or not.

There are no hard and fast rules governing it.

by Anonymousreply 5212/23/2012

R14. Whatever happened to Barrie Youngfellow anyway? I remember her from when she was a kid named Barrie Rivchun doing shows at Heights Youth. Theater with Jerry Leonard.

by Anonymousreply 5312/23/2012

Barrie is (or was) married to Sam Freed, who played Bob Barsky on KATE AND ALLIE and was on OZ.

I think she retired from showbiz to raise her kids.

by Anonymousreply 5412/23/2012

Simon & Shuster gave me de facto veto power (which I exercised) on the cover of my first fiction book.

It wasn't in the contract, but they allowed it anyway.

Of course, that may have been one thing that contributed to the editor-in-chief telling my agent that it was like dealing with Barbra Streisand.

I don't think it was a compliment.

by Anonymousreply 5512/23/2012

Wasn't Julie Kavner promised a Brenda spin-off series that was developed and then shelved? No wonder she's bitter.

by Anonymousreply 5612/23/2012

Julie is incredibly and painfully shy and is truly ALL about the work. She doesn't like talking in the Marge voice publicly because she feels it will ruin the illusion that people have for that beloved character. The Simpsons have made her an incredibly wealthy woman (hundreds of millions of dollars--something like $400,000 per episode, plus dvd sales, residuals and licensing) and she only works if and when she wants to, and prefers to do small off Broadway productions if anything at all though she played Adam Sandler's mother a few years back in the movie, Click, and I think she says she wants to work with Woody Allen again after their numerous successful outings (she was his muse, of sorts, in the 80's).

by Anonymousreply 5712/23/2012

What's with Julie Kavner and the weird behavior? Everyone talks about past work at least a bit.

by Anonymousreply 5812/23/2012

I adored RHODA and loved Valerie Harper and Julie Kavner, always.

I'm sorry to report that Nancy Walker was one bitter, rude old hag to me but after having met her she died soon after.

It's possible that she was so mean because her brain cells were dying off and she couldn't help herself.

by Anonymousreply 5912/23/2012

Julie Kavner sounds like a self-absorbed asshole.

by Anonymousreply 6012/23/2012

You can't believe a word of it, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 6112/23/2012

Well, I've worked with both Valerie and Julie (separate projects) and am here to report that both ladies were just about the nicest women I've ever encountered in show biz.

Both extremely considerate and respectful of everyone's job and position and totally eager to do the work and get the job done to the best of their abilities.

Julie was indeed rather shy but there was nothing weird or off-putting about her. She is a genuinely modest and humble person, partnered to the same (I think ) non-show biz guy for many years.

Valerie grew up in the theater as a chorus girl in many Broadway shows, including Take Me Along with Jackie Gleason and Wildcat with Lucille Ball, but I'll bet she'll be too nice to disparage either of them harshly in her book (though there are, no doubt, good stories!).

by Anonymousreply 6212/23/2012

Julie Kavner has the sweetest fucking gig in show business. She gets paid a fortune for the Simpsons and doesn't even travel to LA to do the show. She lives on Long Island and does her lines over the phone, then gets a nice fat check. And she really just lucked into the Simpsons as well.

by Anonymousreply 6312/23/2012

The Simpsons cast was underpaid before the renegotiated though. If it was such an unusually long-running success, they never would've been able to cash-in like they have.

by Anonymousreply 6412/23/2012

"Valerie grew up in the theater as a chorus girl in many Broadway shows, ...Wildcat with Lucille Ball, but I'll bet she'll be too nice to disparage either of them harshly in her book (though there are, no doubt, good stories!)."

SHIT! Who needs these useless nice people. I want DIRT.

by Anonymousreply 6512/23/2012

R23, Valerie wasn't in the Broadway Li'l Abner, just the film. She was 19 when she shot the movie - alongside (as another wife) 17 year old Beth Howland.

Donna Douglas is also to be seen briefly in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 6612/23/2012

David Groh -- anyone work with him? Was he nice?

by Anonymousreply 6712/23/2012

[quote] She is a genuinely modest and humble person, partnered to the same (I think ) non-show biz guy for many years.

I thought Julie Kavner's longtime partner was David Davis, who was one of the producers on MTM and Rhoda.

by Anonymousreply 6812/23/2012

R67, David Groh was LUCKY. So lucky. He was nice so he could keep his job.

by Anonymousreply 6912/23/2012

It was between David Groh and Alex Rocco for the part of Joe Gerrard

btw Valerie Harper said the premise of her show was suppose to be a 70s version of 'Mad About You'. But the writers felt Rhoda worked when she was single. That they could only think of plots for Brenda, and the show is about Rhoda!

by Anonymousreply 7012/23/2012

Valerie & David Groh appear on "Sally" and explain why Rhoda & Joe had to split up!

by Anonymousreply 7112/23/2012

Wait...Julie Kavner is STRAIGHT???

by Anonymousreply 7212/23/2012

I, Vicki. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 7312/23/2012

Having Rhoda get married right off the bat was a huge mistake. They should have at least let us have half a season of wacky Rhoda back in NY stories first.

by Anonymousreply 7412/23/2012

Having Rhoda get married at all was about the dumbest thing in sitcom history.

by Anonymousreply 7512/23/2012

[quote]Will she reveal who was sleeping with whom in the Original Broadway Cast of LI'L ABNER?

She probably wouldn't know, because Valerie was NOT in the original cast of "L'il Abner", but was a replacement cast member who went into the show quite a while after it opened.

She has a very unique story in the "L'il Abner" was the first Broadway show she had ever seen, a seventeenth birthday gift from her parents, as well as the first Broadway show she was ever in as well!

by Anonymousreply 7612/23/2012

I wonder if she will talk about her involvement with Werner Erhard's EST training?

by Anonymousreply 7712/23/2012

Her book title, "I, Rhoda" is sort of like Tina Turner's, "I, Tina". Only with no "Tin" and more "Rhod".

by Anonymousreply 7812/23/2012

I, Stockard

That bitch wasn't the only Broadway chorine who had a weird name.

by Anonymousreply 7912/23/2012

I, Rodan?

by Anonymousreply 8012/23/2012

Isn't it a pun on I, Robot?

by Anonymousreply 8112/23/2012

I, Mask. Love you Bennett

by Anonymousreply 8212/23/2012

She should have called it I'LL NEVER BE MARY.

by Anonymousreply 8312/24/2012

I, Jobs. I, dead.

by Anonymousreply 8412/24/2012

Well if she doesn't want to talk about her past work, what would she talk about? Her future work? What would the interviewer say? I don't know what she wants to talk about then. Would it be a monologue?

by Anonymousreply 8512/24/2012

I hope she does dish the dirt on that godawful reunion movie she made with Mary a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 8612/24/2012

I, Joanie,...bitches.

by Anonymousreply 8712/24/2012

Too late, r87, loser.

by Anonymousreply 8812/24/2012

by Anonymousreply 8912/24/2012

I think that spinning off Rhoda was foolish in the first place, and then the marriage just made it more foolish. All they did was destroy the Mary show. I did not like Phyllis either before or after she spun off. I guess I should say that I did not find her funny or entertaining, because they did not intend for anyone to like her.

by Anonymousreply 9012/24/2012

Seven letters too much.

'kay, cunt?

by Anonymousreply 9112/24/2012

TV executives described it as "the Rhoda effect" and it's colored tv decisions since. Basically, on MTM, Rhoda was a little bit of a character. Mary was the mostly sane one, and most of the people around her were sane, but Rhoda came in with all her insecurities and her crazy mother and she added a lot of flavor. Spun off into her own show, it no longer worked with the main character as 'the flavor,' and that's why they tried to ground her (with the marriage) and by making the people around her more colorful by comparison. Rhoda was a great show, but it sort of teetered a bit.

by Anonymousreply 9212/24/2012

They should have spun off RHODA after the MTM show had finished its run.

by Anonymousreply 9312/24/2012

It has often worked, like with the Jeffersons, but I think it is ill-advised to spin off main supporting characters. When they take a guest star roll, like Maude and spin her off, that is not a problem.

by Anonymousreply 9412/24/2012

R94 you are right but Maude made only a couple appearances on All in The Family. Rhoda was a regular main character and as was mentioned, the flip side of Mary Richards. Their characters worked well off each other.

by Anonymousreply 9512/24/2012

Mary Tyler Moore had a few spinoffs. "Rhoda", "Phyllis" "Lou Grant".

They wanted to do a spinoff with Ted Baxter, but Ted Knight didn't want to continue playing the airheaded oaf. It's too bad because he may have been the Kelsey Grammer of the 80s.

They should have taken the Betty White character and built a show around her. It would have been funny if she had a gay assistant. Sue Ann trading barbs with a character like Mr. Humphreys from "Are You Being Served" would have worked.

by Anonymousreply 9612/24/2012

Doesn't the huge success of Frasier make mincemeat out of "the Rhoda effect?"

Anyway, once Rohoda divorced Joe and she was single again, the show got even worse so I'm not sure their marriage was where the problems lay in that series.

by Anonymousreply 9712/24/2012

The show had lost a lot of momentum by the time they final got rid of Joe. The audience was furious that he'd dumped her, and stayed away for that reason, some drifting back eventually but by then the show's momentum had truly dissipated.

I don't think the show holds up that well, but it was entertaining at the time. I'd stopped watching by the last year or so, though.

by Anonymousreply 9812/24/2012

I saw an episode a few months ago and was surprised at how mean it was, mostly the relationship between Rhoda and her mother. Not funny at all

by Anonymousreply 9912/24/2012

I just remember Rhoda being exasperated by all the other characters....her mother, Brenda, Carleton, the two idiots played by Ron Silver and Ray Buktenica who I could never tell apart, etc.

And exasperation is wearying....

by Anonymousreply 10012/24/2012

Valerie is too nice to dish. I met her a few months ago and said she was robbed of a Tony for "Looped" and she said, no, Viola davis was magnificent, to which I relpied, yes she was, but "Fences" was a revival and Mary Alice won for the original production, but for the Best Features category and they changed the category for Davis. She said Ohh your're right, but still went onto praise Davis. Too nice!

Never talked to Julie Kavner, so I don't know how shy or weird she is, but I did see her walking to work in her play last year and there was two twenty something guys waiting for her and as she saw them she started running for the stage door with her hand over her face. One guy said "Miss Kavner can we get picture with you?" and she yelled "NO!" and ran in the stage door.

by Anonymousreply 10112/24/2012

"They should have taken the Betty White character and built a show around her."

Sue Ann Nivens, like Ted Baxter, was not enough of a sympathetic character to build a show around in 1978. They did produce a Betty White Show -- different character -- and put Georgette and John Hillerman on it. BOMBED.

"Rhoda" may have been better if Nancy Walker had a larger and longer role on it. But Nancy left to direct "Can't Stop The Music."

by Anonymousreply 10212/24/2012

Rhoda sucked and MTM started to suck from the episode Rhoda left. It was never the same. MTM cannibalized itself for spinoffs.

by Anonymousreply 10312/24/2012

The writing was bad. All the jokes were forced. It didnt work.

by Anonymousreply 10412/24/2012

Year ago I was watching a teenage movie from the 50s called "Rock, Rock, Rock!" starring Tuesday Weld. In one of the dance sequences I noticed a dancer and thought she looked familiar. It was Valerie Harper.

by Anonymousreply 10512/24/2012

Love Valerie but I agree that RHODA wasn't that good, particularly after the first season. I watched many of the reruns on ALN a couple of years ago. The writing level was pretty poor, the secondary characters (besides the Morgenstern family) were dull and poorly conceived (oy, Brenda's boyfriends!), and the show looked really cheap. Except for some of Rhoda's clothes, which were fabulous.

Remember how they kept giving Rhoda new BFFs: Anne Meara (who I recall reading was fired outright) and then Vivian Vance? Weird.

by Anonymousreply 10612/24/2012

Among the many boyfriends on "Rhoda" (all of whom appeared in several episodes):

Ron Silver (later President of Actors' Equity)

Richard Masur (later "hold me, David")

John Ritter (pre-"Three's Company")

Judd Hirsch (pre-"Taxi)

and stepdaughter Wendy Schaal also had a brief recurring role before "It's A Living"

by Anonymousreply 10712/24/2012

Ray Buktenica played one of her bfs too, if I'm not mistaken. This was pre-House Calls and before his relationship with Joyce DeWitt. Remember that brief moment in time when Ray and Joyce were Hollywood's IT couple?

by Anonymousreply 10812/24/2012

Rhoda sucked because of Joe. They never should have had her marry. Rhoda was good because she wasn't a winner. All of a sudden she's the lucky one and Brenda is the loser

by Anonymousreply 10912/24/2012

[quote]Remember that brief moment in time when Ray and Joyce were Hollywood's IT couple?

Oh. Dear. God.

by Anonymousreply 11012/24/2012

The poster who said the show looked cheap hit the nail on the head. They took zero advantage of their setting in NYC. She was a window dresser. What better place to be a window dresser than NYC? Everything about Rhoda was just wrong.

by Anonymousreply 11112/24/2012

Oh, and you know a show is in trouble when a faceless character on an intercom is the breakout star.

by Anonymousreply 11212/24/2012

A Stockard Channing bio sounds fantastic. Can we make it happen?

by Anonymousreply 11312/24/2012

I, for one, will not be reading it

by Anonymousreply 11412/24/2012

Stockard, BTW, looked pretty great guesting on THE GOOD WIFE. I'm thinking good wig and some really decent cosmetic work.

by Anonymousreply 11512/24/2012

Stockard filmed the pilot for an X-Files type show a few years ago. Unfortunately they didn't pick it up.

by Anonymousreply 11612/24/2012

But remember back then, when Rhoda debuted and they introduced sexy David Groh, who had shirtless scenes with his hairy chest, you were all pretty excited about him!

And that image of Rhoda, scrambling to hail a taxi cab in her wedding gown was an image none of you will ever forget.

by Anonymousreply 11712/24/2012

Oh sure Groh was sexy, but she should've just had a fling with him. It would've worked with Rhoda as the Jewish, NYC version of Mary.

by Anonymousreply 11812/24/2012

[quote] NYC version of Mary.

That is why they divorced Rhoda. They realized a married Rhoda didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 11912/24/2012

I grew up in the 70s and as a little gayling, whenever I'd see David Groh and his hairy chest, I'd get all tingly. Of course, I didn't know what that meant at the time, but I knew it felt good to look at him.

by Anonymousreply 12012/24/2012

David Groh would later play the first and only wife beater on Daytime TV on the soap General Hospital.

He also played a wife and child beater on Law & Order, a role he reprises ten years later.

by Anonymousreply 12112/24/2012

I was surprised by how sad the episodes were when Rhoda and Joe broke up. Given how facile the writing was on most of the episodes, they kind of went for blood on that story line.

by Anonymousreply 12212/24/2012

[quote] Why didn't David Groh ever get on another prime time show as a regular?

When he was let go from Rhoda, he immediately got another sitcom called 'Another Day' a family sitcom. It barely lasted 13 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 12412/24/2012

Groh was hot, and had received classical training (he thought he'd do Shakespeare et al.) But honestly, he wasn't all that great onscreen.

He did sound like a nice guy, though. Harper speaks fondly of him in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 12512/24/2012

OMG David Groh died in 2008. I had no idea!

by Anonymousreply 12612/24/2012

David Groh was no Mike Brady!

by Anonymousreply 12712/24/2012

OMG, David Groh was so fucking masculine. He looked like he had a ton of testosteroine coursing through his veins. Looked like a real man's man. So damn hot. They don't build 'em like that anyone.

by Anonymousreply 12812/24/2012

The guy was way too wooden. Heard he left a young child when he passed

by Anonymousreply 12912/25/2012

Go to 2:54 at link to see Joan Rivers spoof 'Rhoda'

by Anonymousreply 13012/25/2012

Alan Carr had to pull Valerie Perrine into his limo on the set of the Nancy Walker-directed "Can't Stop the Music" and calm her down after Nancy tortured her by having her say "One more time" something like 20 times. "For chrissakes, Nancy, how many ways can I say the fuckin' line?"

by Anonymousreply 13112/26/2012

[quote] The Simpsons cast was underpaid before the renegotiated though. If it was such an unusually long-running success, they never would've been able to cash-in like they have

Well, now they're raking it in. And a bunch of them are creepy scientologists. One of the sci's gave a $10 Million donation to the "church"

by Anonymousreply 13212/26/2012

The show had one good running gag, "This is Carlton, your doorman."

It would have been better if it combined the "That Girl" long-time boyfriend with the mother/daughter tension.

Also, the theme music sucked big time.

by Anonymousreply 13312/26/2012

R133 is correct. The opening credit/theme music was horrendous. The most annoying thing I've ever seen. They changed the music for every season and none of the changes worked.

As sharp and brilliant MTM show was, Rhoda was the polar opposite. They tried to tweak that damn show until the last episode and never got anything right while MTM was on cruise control for 7 years.

by Anonymousreply 13412/27/2012

I think the theme music just didn't age well. It probably sounded fresh and modern at the time, which was appropriate for Rhoda, who was edgier and more progressive than Mary.

by Anonymousreply 13512/27/2012

Why did Valerie leave (or get fired from ) 'Valerie's Family,' her sitcom in the 80s? It was a pretty big story at the time, but it was such a long time ago I can't remember the details.

by Anonymousreply 13612/27/2012

The theme song for "Phyllis," on the other hand, was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 13712/27/2012

It was a salary dispute r136, but it wasn't that she asked for a huge sum for her acting, she had also created the series. So she expected a fee for that as well, but the network refused to give her credit for that. That's how she won her court case, she was able to prove she had created the show, and that's why she was awarded 12% of the profits, which was probably quite a sizable amount, but it was her rightful money.

I know all Valerie created was a formula family sitcom, but shows always have a creator credit, so there's no reason why she shouldn't have gotten the money the same as anyone else. Sara Gilbert has gotten filthy rich as the creator of The Talk, a blatant View rip-off. I think Valarie indicated the network didn't like an uppity woman getting such a large cut, and thought they could push her around.

by Anonymousreply 13812/27/2012

there's nothing "fresh and modern" about this

by Anonymousreply 13912/27/2012

[quote]"Rhoda" may have been better if Nancy Walker had a larger and longer role on it. But Nancy left to direct "Can't Stop The Music."

Nancy originally left to star in her own Garry Marshall factory series, "Blansky's Beauties," in 1977.

by Anonymousreply 14012/27/2012

Will Sandy Duncan be doing the foreword?

by Anonymousreply 14112/27/2012

Sorry Jason - Sandy may think she's writing the forward, but she's really just scribbling on the tablecloth next to the book.

by Anonymousreply 14212/27/2012

r137 Phylissssssssss, Phylissssssssss, sure isn't youuuuuuuuuu!!!!! Lol

by Anonymousreply 14312/28/2012

I was born in the later half of the 1970s, so I never saw Rhoda until repeats on tv in the late 80s. I loved it. I've never cared much for MTM, but Rhoda kept me coming back for more.

I was crushed when Rhoda and Joe divorced.

by Anonymousreply 14412/28/2012

Joan Van Ark played Joe's snooty ex-wife.

by Anonymousreply 14512/28/2012

Nancy Walker was a huge bitch.

by Anonymousreply 14612/28/2012

[quote]Nancy Walker was a huge bitch.

by Anonymousreply 14712/28/2012

[quote]Alan Carr had to pull Valerie Perrine into his limo on the set of the Nancy Walker-directed "Can't Stop the Music" and calm her down after Nancy tortured her by having her say "One more time" something like 20 times. "For chrissakes, Nancy, how many ways can I say the fuckin' line?"

I talked to Valerie Perrine about it and she said that for almost all of filming, Nancy never came out of her trailer because she was watching "her stories" and it was a miracle any footage was actually shot. She was a horror to work with.

by Anonymousreply 14812/28/2012

r148, next time you talk to Valerie P., tell her I loved her in Superman.

by Anonymousreply 14912/28/2012

I always get Valerie Perrine mixed up with Dyan Cannon and Karen Valentine.

by Anonymousreply 15012/28/2012

Valerie Harper has the same acronym as visible hemorrhoids.

by Anonymousreply 15112/28/2012

Nancy also had another show along with Blansky's. Cleverly titled the Nancy Walker show. Rhoda and Mary just weren't the same without each other. I hate the Rhoda show more for the hole it left in MTM than how bad it was. Everybody liked Rhoda more than Mary. As soon as she got her own show it was like they just surrounded Rhoda with nutcases and let her spout psychobabble.

by Anonymousreply 15212/28/2012

R151 You might want to look up the definition of "acronym" before you use that word again.

by Anonymousreply 15312/28/2012

When the publisher announced the book a year or two ago they called it "I RHODA BOOK." ("I WROTE A BOOK" get it?) Guess they didn't like the jokey title?

by Anonymousreply 15412/29/2012

Sandy Duncan will be writing a companion book called "Eye, Sandy."

by Anonymousreply 15512/29/2012

r154, are you serious? If that's true, the publisher changed it from a laugh with her title, to a laugh at her title. But none of that matters if it's too nicey-nice and doesn't dish the dirt anyway.

by Anonymousreply 15612/29/2012

I hear the original title was going to be Melissa Gilbert Sucks!

by Anonymousreply 15712/29/2012

Next time you speak to Valerie Perrine, tell her my mom think she's a slut!

by Anonymousreply 15812/29/2012

Next time you talk to Valerie Perrine, let her know she was a better lay than Kris Kardashian.

by Anonymousreply 15912/29/2012

Valerie has spent the last ten years or so, very successfully touring the country in one woaman shows,playing variously, Pearl Buck, Golda Meir and Tallulah Bankhead. That takes quite a range.

by Anonymousreply 16012/29/2012

One of the most annoying theme songs, complete with adenoidal bastards trying to sing and diarrhea noises at the end.

by Anonymousreply 16112/29/2012

R161 see R139

by Anonymousreply 16212/29/2012

Buy the book, ladies.

It is really entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 16303/11/2013

r53 Who are you? I am sure I know you. I think Barrie is still married to Sam Freed. She has to be in her early 60s now.

I remember her as Peter Pan!

Once in a while I spot someone in a Broadway or Off-Broadway show who was part of those Jerry Leonard years.

It is always kind of a kick.

by Anonymousreply 16407/26/2013

[quote]I, Rhoda? What is this, a BBC drama about Caligula?

No, that's I, Rhoda Mann.

by Anonymousreply 16507/26/2013

The Rhoda reruns so far on METv are holding up well--but I dread seeing the post breakup ones.

IRL not much news about Valerie and I fear that doesn't mean there's good news.

Her book is a lot of fun and often touching.

by Anonymousreply 16607/26/2013

Valerie is making a public appearance on Sunday at a Cancer fundraiser

by Anonymousreply 16707/26/2013

Did Valerie ever get to see Josh Taylor naked?

by Anonymousreply 16807/26/2013

[quote]Valerie is making a public appearance on Sunday at a Cancer fundraiser

She'll be singing a rousing rendition of "I Am Not Dead Yet" from "Spamalot."

by Anonymousreply 16907/26/2013

[quote]The Rhoda reruns so far on METv are holding up well

I agree, R166. Been watching and enjoying them very much.

by Anonymousreply 17007/26/2013

I'd like them better if MeTV had better prints...

by Anonymousreply 17107/26/2013

I wish MeTV had an HD channel. That would certainly help.

by Anonymousreply 17207/26/2013

[quote]She has a very unique story in the "L'il Abner" was the first Broadway show she had ever seen, a seventeenth birthday gift from her parents, as well as the first Broadway show she was ever in as well!

Another cool, small world moment was Valerie danced in the chorus behind Lucille Ball on broadway in "Wildcat" in 1960 and ten years later wins her first Emmy which was presented by Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 17307/26/2013

R153 Leslie, is that really you? I'm obviously not 'Michael Libasi, he should rest in peace. Just another One of Jerry Leonard's kids. What a genius he was. I was in the chorus when you did Little Me. I had the biggest crush on you. I knew Barrie when she was still a Rivchun. I knew all the Rivchuns, Stewart, Carol, Connie, all so talented. I hope Harriet is well. I knew he very well too.

by Anonymousreply 17410/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!