Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Shirley MacLaine RAGE Over Daughter's Tell-All!"

“Lucky Me: My Life With – and Without – My Mom, Shirley MacLaine."

[quote]As the sarcastic title suggests, the memoir is said to paint a picture of Shirley as a cold, uninvolved, disinterested mother who abandoned her toddler because she wanted to party with The Rat Pack and “didn’t want a kid on her hands.”

The Amazon description says Sachi was originally cast as Scout in "To Kill a Mockingbird" and later became a Qantas stewardess.

Looking forward to this. I hope it's trashy.

by Anonymousreply 23207/27/2014

Her father had custody. Shirley did not even have visitation at one point....

by Anonymousreply 212/21/2012

It's hardly a secret that Shirley Maclaine is a colossal cunt. She can't even pretend to be nice when she's pimping out her latest movie.

by Anonymousreply 312/21/2012

I guess the author doesn't know the difference between "disinterested" and "uninterested."

by Anonymousreply 412/21/2012

She's probably one of those narcissistic mothers but with a psychotic twist. Anyone remember "Out On A Limb"? Can't wait to read it and see what damage and humiliation she caused her daughter. I suspect this read will be healing for other children of parents with mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 512/21/2012

[quote]Shirley MacLaine has brought many devils into this nation and she is evil.

Uh, I think you've stumbled into the wrong forum, dear. You want Focus on the Family or something.

by Anonymousreply 712/21/2012

R6 Thanks for posting, Warren.

by Anonymousreply 812/21/2012

I hope there's a film of this book - it would be fabulous to have a bookend for Mommie Dearest!

Zellweger could play Shirley.

by Anonymousreply 912/21/2012

Is there a role for me?

by Anonymousreply 1012/21/2012

She has always come across as someone "cold, uninvolved, disinterested" to me.

by Anonymousreply 1112/21/2012

Leonard Nimoy IS the voice of Shirley's animals.

by Anonymousreply 1312/21/2012

OMG, this is a travesty!

by Anonymousreply 1412/21/2012

I'm sure Shirley has millions r15, and it's unlikely a nobody stewardess would want to give that up. She must've believed Shirley wasn't going to leave her anything anyway, or only a pittance. Remember Christina Crawford didn't get anything either.

by Anonymousreply 1812/21/2012

Shirley was involved with the Rat Pack, who were involved with mobsters. In her memoir "My Lucky Stars" she claimed that a friend of hers told her there was talk of having her daughter kidnapped (by mobsters, presumably), in order to "appropriate your talent." She exploded in anger and the friend said, well, it was just talk. She started screaming and said if they tried anything she would go straight to her friends in high political places and they could "shove their horse's heads right up their asses!" She said her husband (some marriage they had; they lived in different countries!), who had a thing for Japan, thought it would be best to pack little Sachi off to Japan as a safety precaution. So Sachi pretty much spent her childhood with her father in another country.

In MacLaine's memoirs she is constantly flitting from country to country and having affairs and making movies and doing shows; her contact with her daughter and husband seem minimal.

I hope Sachi's book is a great, trashy MommyDearest-like tell-all.

by Anonymousreply 1912/21/2012

I think Christina Crawford wrote Mommie Dearest precisely because she wasn't left anything. JC left some note in her will saying "for reasons known to her".

by Anonymousreply 2012/21/2012

That would be "for reasons known only to her."

by Anonymousreply 2112/21/2012

"Her father had custody. "

So how did that happen? In the Rat Pack's heyday, the only reason fathers would get custody is if the mother didn't want the kids, or if the mother was declared "unfit for moral reasons". (In those days "unfit" usually meant sex with someone rather than the husband, rather than today's assumption of substance abuse.)

by Anonymousreply 2212/21/2012

R12: I saw that episode of House Hunters and Sachi did seem nice, not crazy, but like you said, a little flaky. And I think she only had nice things to say about her mother, though House Hunters isn't exactly a tell-all book.

by Anonymousreply 2312/21/2012

Ya gotta love DL. So far not a legitimate word on the book- it's content, a review- and Shirley is the new JC.

by Anonymousreply 2412/21/2012

Iirc, in MacLaine's first(?) book, 'Don't Fall Off the Mountain,' Shirley came home to find the nanny telling Sachi that she (the nanny) was Sachi's mother. MacLaine shipped Sachi off to live with her father at that point, and wrote something like, 'I wasn't one of those Hollywood mothers, was I?' Sachi's passport description gave her occupation as, 'child,' which I've always found endearing.

by Anonymousreply 2512/21/2012

Shirley has also written about giving up her fortune to fulfill her spiritual beliefs 'some day.' I don't doubt Sachi has been made aware that any inheritance from her mother is touch-and-go.

by Anonymousreply 2612/21/2012

I wonder if she'll mention Shirley being the inspiration for the mother in The Exorcist.

by Anonymousreply 2712/21/2012

R27, was it the mother she was the inspiration for?

by Anonymousreply 2912/21/2012

You know, R1/R6/R28/R29, if you take those pills the psychiatrist gave you, the demons will stop bothering you so much.

by Anonymousreply 3012/21/2012

She definitely harmed you, R31.

by Anonymousreply 3212/21/2012

[quote]I saw that episode of House Hunters

She wasn't on House Hunters.

by Anonymousreply 3312/21/2012

Shirley MacLaine is a cunt? Really?

Then like brother, like sister.

by Anonymousreply 3412/21/2012

R22, fathers could get custody if they blackmailed the mother with something BIG -- like same-sex affairs.

by Anonymousreply 3512/21/2012

What does Shirley think of Annette's feud with Hillary Swank?

by Anonymousreply 3612/21/2012

R35 = Little Mary Tilford

by Anonymousreply 3812/21/2012

I always wondered if the husband was a gay guy. He's dead now. Anybody know?

by Anonymousreply 3912/21/2012

Few people deserve this as much as Shirley does. She is a pompous, self-satisfied jerk, and her narcissism puts her brother's to shame.

Their parents must have done quite a number on both of them since they both turned out that way--that's the only thing I can say in their defense.

by Anonymousreply 4012/21/2012

Probably her experience is more like what the average child of a famous person experiences than what Christina Crawford did, precisely because Joan DID make an effort to be a hands-on parent. I think being the child of a celebrity would be an ugly fate either way. Your entire world would revolve around your famous parent and you'd just be an afterthought.

by Anonymousreply 4112/21/2012

Jolie is more famous than her father.

by Anonymousreply 4212/21/2012

by Anonymousreply 4412/21/2012

Do people believe that she sent Sachi to live in Japan because of mob threats? It sounds like a story to make giving her up more acceptable. I mean was Shirley MacLaine in such high demand that the mob wanted to "appropriate her talent"? She didn't have the qualities men, especially mobster types, look for in women: looks, curves, and pliability.

by Anonymousreply 4612/21/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4712/21/2012

R43, a pound of halvah. Sweet Charity, bway, Pajama Game, NYC all.

Baclava? Something to do with Tennyson?

by Anonymousreply 4912/21/2012

She was Maupin's first choice to play Mrs. Madrigal in Tales of the City, but she turned down the role because the salary wasn't up to par.

by Anonymousreply 5012/21/2012

I put my dog in the pound because of cat threats.

by Anonymousreply 5112/21/2012

R45, we've had gullible religious freaks all along, even before the republic was founded: Seventh Day Adventists, Branch Davidians, those freaks who castrated themselves and committed suicide, and don't forget the pre-millennial, end-times-are-coming fever of the 1990s. It's embarrassing, but it's part of America.

by Anonymousreply 5212/21/2012

Payback time!

by Anonymousreply 5312/21/2012

R38, Lena Horne gave her first husband custody of her son because she wanted to avoid the "bad publicity."

by Anonymousreply 5412/21/2012

Daughters can be such ungrateful little bitches.

by Anonymousreply 5512/21/2012

[quote] Ya gotta love DL. So far not a legitimate word on the book- it's content, a review- and Shirley is the new JC.

I don't want no smart aleck backtalk!

Now fix me a drink, bish.

by Anonymousreply 5612/21/2012

She foresaw this coming.

by Anonymousreply 5712/21/2012

It's not certain that this is going to be a complete character assassination, just from OP's (Enquirer) quote.

There might be an element of 'where were you, mom?' but I doubt what we're looking at here is... another 'Mommie, Dearest'.

I'm also surprised as a young NY gay of the 1980s to see how anti 'New Age', people on DL are. The gays were front row about this stuff back then. Gays often ran the crystal shops and New Age book shops. Started the groups...

by Anonymousreply 5812/21/2012

I think she's tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 5912/21/2012

Didn't Steve (Sachi's father) steal all of Shirley's money, forcing her back to work full time at age 45?

It was in one of Shirley's books.

by Anonymousreply 6112/21/2012

Has anyone ever seen the Out on a Limb miniseries starring Shirley Maclaine as Shirley Maclaine? Is it a screamfest? It has to be!

by Anonymousreply 6212/21/2012

And people made me out to be the cunt when we duked it out at the Oscars

by Anonymousreply 6312/21/2012

Deb, sweetie, not to're a raging cunt as well.

by Anonymousreply 6512/21/2012

I need human misery to live! My regeneration device doesn't work without it.

by Anonymousreply 6612/21/2012

[quote]I'm also surprised as a young NY gay of the 1980s to see how anti 'New Age', people on DL are. The gays were front row about this stuff back then. Gays often ran the crystal shops and New Age book shops. Started the groups..

A lot of that had to do with the AIDS crisis. People were looking for reasons, comfort, a way to cope with the calamity that surrounded them.

by Anonymousreply 6712/21/2012

Shirley MacLaine was the number one choice of movie studios to play Fanny Brice in the movie version of Funny Girl.

But Ray Stark held firm for Babs to play the part.

Too bad cause Shirley would have been W-A-Y better than Babs as Fanny Brice.

by Anonymousreply 6812/21/2012

You're kidding, right R68?

by Anonymousreply 6912/21/2012

Well, Freidkin based his version of the mother and daughter in the Excorist on these two. Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 7012/21/2012

R69 I am NOT kidding.

Shirley is a a terrific triple threat, singer/dancer/actress.

You have to admit she is a better hoofer than Babs.

by Anonymousreply 7112/21/2012

Have you ever seen Fanny Brice, R71? Shirley as Fanny would have been as appropriate as Barbra playing a supermodel.

by Anonymousreply 7212/21/2012

[quote]Shirley as Fanny would have been as appropriate as Barbra playing a supermodel.

Or Barbra playing a high-class hooker that people would actually pay cash-money to have sex with.

by Anonymousreply 7312/21/2012

[quote] Shirley got the movie contract, and Carol got therapy for her knee.

If ever there was anyone with a face made for radio, it was Carol Haney.

by Anonymousreply 7412/21/2012

That movie Nuts was suppose to star Debra Winger!

by Anonymousreply 7512/21/2012

Hey, Shirley played Gittel Mosca in Two for the Seesaw, so we know she can play the kooky Jewish girl. But she was too old and didn't have a good enough voice for Funny Girl.

by Anonymousreply 7612/21/2012

I have never read any of Shirley's books but my mother has and I remember her telling me that Shirley's explanation for homosexuality is that homosexuals are people that were the opposite sex in their previous lifetime and so have kept their old sexualities in the current lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 7712/21/2012

I adore Shirley MacLaine. Why all the Shirley hate here? Most of this shit is made up lies anyway.

She never "whacked Carol Haney" a la Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding to go on in her place. She was her understudy, as it was. I mean, WTF?

What did Shirley ever do to any of you? No, I am not Sachi OR Warren OR Debra Winger, either. Just a fan who finds her confidence and talent worth emulating. How many Oscars do YOU all have? How many movies have YOU starred in? How famous are any of you?

by Anonymousreply 7812/21/2012

r20, r21 -- Close, but the actual quote is the far cuntier "...for reasons which are well known to them." Joan cut both Christina and Christopher out of the will.

by Anonymousreply 7912/21/2012

[quote]Shirley is a a terrific triple threat, singer/dancer/actress.

Ha! Shirley MacClaine CANNOT sing at all! She pretends to sing every now and then, but her voice makes Janet Jackson's voice sound "robust"!

by Anonymousreply 8012/21/2012

[quote]homosexuals are people that were the opposite sex in their previous lifetime and so have kept their old sexualities in the current lifetime.

So by her thinking, then, roughly half the people should be gay at any given time?

by Anonymousreply 8112/21/2012

R81, and don't think that every gay man with a working brain hasn't wondered "If there is such a thing AS reincarnation, I wonder if I was a woman in my past life?" Just food for thought, not necessarily truth.

by Anonymousreply 8212/21/2012

Well not if people keep being reborn as the same sex I suppose, R81.

by Anonymousreply 8312/21/2012

[quote]What did Shirley ever do to any of you? Just a fan who finds her confidence and talent worth emulating.

Seriously, think about it. Shirl writes a phoney mumbo jumbo new age "autobiographical" book which became a bestseller. Because it was a bestseller they decided to make a mini-series out of it, starring herself.

She is the height of narcissism. Me, me, me, me, me!!!

by Anonymousreply 8412/21/2012

She also forced her dog to co-author a book with her. I'd love to read that tell-all.

by Anonymousreply 8512/21/2012

"Sachi, no one ever said harmonic convergence is fair."

by Anonymousreply 8712/21/2012

Well, her parents were alcoholics. So Warren is a child of alcoholics as well.

Maybe growing up with drunk parents screws you up to a point of madness.

Although I'll have to say children of meth and crack parents have it very, very tough.

I am working on forgiving shirley as she is one troubled ginger.

by Anonymousreply 8812/21/2012

Well at least, unlike Christina, Sachi wrote this book while her mom was still alive so that her mom could, if she sees fit, defend herself.

It makes me wonder about the loving relationship between Chris and Regan McNeil, which William Peter Blatty modeled on that of Shirley and Sachi. Was Blatty mistaken?

There are also shades of MacLaine in Postcards from the Edge, especially when she asks Meryl Streep if she would have rather had Lana Turner or Joan Crawford for a mother.

by Anonymousreply 8912/21/2012

Strange that she had thin lips and Warrend had those fish lips.

by Anonymousreply 9012/21/2012

In some interview Blatty says he only modeled Chris's "worldly" personality on Maclaine, or something like that. He said that after it came out that Chris is based on Shirley, everyone thought this meant that Sachi had been possessed and she was picked on at school.

I have to say though, Chris MacNeil is one of the biggest cunts on the screen, having no patience and screaming her face off at every situation. The only bigger cunt is MTM in Ordinary People.

by Anonymousreply 9112/21/2012

Who is Mercedes McCambridge in your analogy, R92?

by Anonymousreply 9312/21/2012

She's goddamn fuckin' Oprah, that's who, R93.

by Anonymousreply 9412/21/2012

Oprah had Shirley on as one of her final guests. Shirley said that she always had an "orphan mentality" even though she came from a reasonably happy and supportive family. She's just a cold-hearted and narcissistic bitch.

by Anonymousreply 9612/21/2012

Both of her parents were alcoholics but she came from a reasonably happy and supportive family? How does that work?

by Anonymousreply 9712/21/2012

"I have never read any of Shirley's books but my mother has and I remember her telling me that Shirley's explanation for homosexuality is that homosexuals are people that were the opposite sex in their previous lifetime and so have kept their old sexualities in the current lifetime."

As in the reboot of "On a Clear Day."

by Anonymousreply 9812/21/2012

[quote]but she came from a reasonably happy and supportive family

Who told you that, Shirley?

by Anonymousreply 9912/21/2012

"she and Jerry Lewis hated each other. He treated her terribly and constantly tried to upstage her. She had no problem telling the story in her book."

She also claimed he made a pass at her that she rejected. And why would he need to "upstage" her? She was just starting out, a nobody. He and Martin were the stars of the movie.

In her book "My Lucky Stars" she claims that a channeler told her that her husband was a complete fraud and that he had a mistress in Japan and that he was funnelling her money into a bank account in the mistress's name. She said he squandered her money and that in her mid-forties she had to start all over again.

Her lawyers told her the husband wanted a fat financial settlement in the divorce and that she should be prepared for a nasty legal battle. But when push came to shove she told the judge (she said that "something happened that was almost beyond my control") to tell him he could have anything he wanted, now and in the future. Her lawyer was aghast but that's what she said to do. When her husband was told of this, he amazingly said that he only wanted a hundred and fifty thousand dollars spread out over ten years. Her lawyer was astounded and said "that's how you win a divorce settlement?" to which MacLaine replied "maybe there are other kinds of laws operating here." Another story of hers about the mysteries and spiritual connections that affect every aspect of one's life. New age hooey.

by Anonymousreply 10012/21/2012

I remember her actually saying on Entertainment Tonight "I believe I can achieve teleportation"

by Anonymousreply 10112/21/2012

Rage - Goddess, sing the rage of MacLaine's daughter, Shirley.

by Anonymousreply 10212/21/2012

Goodness. It appears we have a new DataLounge legend in the making.

by Anonymousreply 10312/21/2012

I saw Sachi Parker on a "Selling New York" episode a year or two ago. She seemed sweet but very needy, and kept saying how she and the realtor - who was clearly a bitch - were going to be friends for life. Of course, the whole thing is phony and set-up.

Sachi had money, though, to be buying a nice apartment in NYC. I wonder where she gets her money from?

by Anonymousreply 10412/21/2012

Shirley is not a gay icon because she is too brittle and humorless. You'd think she'd be just the right kind of crazy for us but her specific type of frauish eccentricity has no camp quality to it.

by Anonymousreply 10512/21/2012

Who gives a shit. I can't imagine THE APARTMENT or IRMA LA DOUCE without her.

by Anonymousreply 10612/21/2012

R78 she stabbed Carol in the back. A stabbing Carol never recovered from

by Anonymousreply 10712/21/2012

Carol Haney got the movie of Pajama Game. She had opportunities, the bitch.

by Anonymousreply 10812/21/2012

She's a Taurus: no sense of humor about themselves. MacLaine, Streisand, Freud, Jack Nicholson. Katharine Hepburn. US Grant. Can't laugh at themselves. Very very very touchy. Always fun sex, though, unless they're afflicted by nasty planetary movement in various sensitive houses.

by Anonymousreply 10912/21/2012

She and Streisand have had a major falling out and are no longer friendly. I wonder what happened?

Barbra probably snapped over lunch one day and screamed, "Shirley, would you please shut up about all that New Age bologne! You were never Cleopatra in another lifetime, you crazy bitch!"

by Anonymousreply 11012/21/2012

The Barbra Streisand troll has posted.

The thread has died.

by Anonymousreply 11112/21/2012

"I hope there's a film of this book - it would be fabulous to have a bookend for Mommie Dearest!"

"Helga--I'm not mad at you. I'm mad at a servant I had three thousand years ago, when I was Queen Hubbabbeesh of the country Europania."

by Anonymousreply 11212/21/2012

"I fix all my uncles' drinks this way."

"Sachi, I am not your uncle."

"Mommie says next life you are."

by Anonymousreply 11312/21/2012

"Sachi--I am bigger and stronger and I will always beat you. . . In this lifetime. In the next lifetime. In the lifetime after that one. . ."

by Anonymousreply 11412/21/2012

I thought you'd all like to see this.

The creator of this clip had written:-

[quote]'I'm a devoted worshipper of Shirley & Sachi. I love to collect pictures of them from the 50's and 60's. Most of these I bought off Ebay. The home movies are from Shirley's A&E Biography

by Anonymousreply 11512/21/2012

"SACHI!!! Bring me the crystals!"

by Anonymousreply 11612/21/2012

[quote]The Barbra Streisand troll has posted. The thread has died

It ain't over 'til the Lucille Ball troll chimes in.

by Anonymousreply 11712/21/2012

For being brother and sister, Shirley MacLaine and Warren Beatty look nothing alike.

By the way, Streisand (70 years old) and MacLaine (78 years old) share the same birthday: April 24.

by Anonymousreply 11812/21/2012

[quote]She's a Taurus: no sense of humor about themselves. MacLaine, Streisand, Freud, Jack Nicholson. Katharine Hepburn. US Grant. Can't laugh at themselves.

I'm a Taurus (male) and I do have a sense of humor about myself. My sister, who's also a Taurus, fits this description to a T.

by Anonymousreply 11912/21/2012

[quote]She is the height of narcissism. Me, me, me, me, me!!!

I love these threads in which celebrities are ripped apart for having the same character traits as the average DL denizen.

by Anonymousreply 12012/21/2012

Carol Haney was a diabetic. Her health was always dicey. She got sick, which is why she missed "that" performance of THE PAJAMA GAME. Shirley's a bitch, but she didn't stab Carol Haney in the back.

It was Carol's drinking combined with her diabetes that did her in.

by Anonymousreply 12112/21/2012

Why can't you give me the karma I'm entitled to?!

by Anonymousreply 12212/21/2012

Here. These were given to me by Paramahansa Yogananda. Oh, and Sachi - if you don't get this part, for Chrissakes, don't hock 'em

by Anonymousreply 12312/21/2012

"Don't fuck with me fellas! This ain't my first time at the rodeo. That would have been in 1852 when I was Carmen Monterrey, Queen of the Bullriders!"

by Anonymousreply 12412/21/2012

As usual, she has the last mantra.

by Anonymousreply 12612/21/2012

I work and I work til I'm dead for the 8,995th time and what do I get? A daughter! Who cares as much about me as the beautiful crystals I buy her!

by Anonymousreply 12712/21/2012

Damn it! Sedona is MY PLACE!

by Anonymousreply 12812/21/2012

Shirley and Warren Beatty must have different fathers or something. They look NOTHING alike. Not even a resemblance. With Shirley's daughter's tell-all book coming out, I don't know why they have kids.

Look how screwed up Hollywood children are: *Jane Fonda's dad was cold and her mother suffered from mental illness.

*Tatum O'Neal's beautiful mother, drugs & mentally gone. Unfit parents.

*Joan Crawford, mean as hell but wanted to put on a good "mommy" face for Hollywood. She was an unfit parent.

*Nicole Ritchie said her mother Brenda was in bed for months with depression after finding out about Lionel's cheating so Nicole raised herself. No wonder she got on heroin.

*Paris Hilton's extended family said she lived rich but with no boundaries.

*Look at the life Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown lived in front of their daughter. OMG! One driver said he was disgusted seeing them do drugs in front of their young daughter in the car! I wonder why he didn't call the cops? He couldn't. Celebs get away with everything.

*I was disheartened to find out that Andy Griffith was a horrible father in real life too!

*Mary Tyler Moore was a horrible mother. Her ex said when their son died she called him to find out where his grave was. He said she was very neglectful to him growing up.

*Lucille Ball was a horrible mother too. Her daughter said a few things in the media after Lucy died (I think she was fishing for a book) but the public reaction was not good. Fans did not want to hear anything bad about Lucy. Lucille's friends even said she was a workaholic and had no time for her children. One friend said she never, ever saw Lucy play with her kids. Chasing after philandering Desi I guess she had no time either. Desi was an alcoholic but Lucy looked like one too. She probably drank herself numb in that crazy marriage. In Barbara Eden's bio she said she felt so sorry for Lucy because any female guest stars on the show, Desi was after them right in front of her. There's a young lady in NY who claims to be the granddaughter of Lucy and Desi. From the evidence I believe her. However, her mother may have been Desi's child by someone else. The mother looked more like Desi than his children with Lucille!

TV gives us great stories but it is so sad to hear these actors were bad parents in real life. Gone on location for months. Working 18 hrs days. Who's raising the kids? Not their parents that's for sure. Children deserve more than mansions and getting anything they want. It's like they DID share their parents with the world but got crumbs.

by Anonymousreply 12912/21/2012

[quote]Look how screwed up Hollywood children are:

What are you trying to say... that Hollywood families aren't perfect?!

Noooo... say it aint' soooo!

by Anonymousreply 13012/21/2012

"One friend said she never, ever saw Lucy play with her kids."

She asked Lucy, and Lucy initially agreed, but Gary Morton wisely talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 13112/21/2012

Sorry but so many parents in Hollywood are too busy chasing fame they have no focus on their children. It has absolutely nothing to do with perfection. There's no perfection for any parent but at least TRY!

by Anonymousreply 13212/21/2012

[quote]Look how screwed up Hollywood children are:

Go read the "Post Your Worst Ever Christmas Stories" thread. You don't have to live in Hollywood to be screwed up.

by Anonymousreply 13312/21/2012

That's enough, charlie.

by Anonymousreply 13412/21/2012

In a book Shirley wrote, she said that the reason she sent her daughter to Japan was because Sam Giancono threatened her when she would not work for him in Vegas and made vague threats about her daughter. She claimed is was for her daughter's safety.

by Anonymousreply 13512/21/2012

Doesn't surprise me. She was awful in "Terms of Endearment", but I'll bet the brittle, overcontrolled version of her usual wackiness probably was pretty close to her actual personality. It's certainly seems like the template for a lot of her subsequent roles. Sachi probably is flaky and screwed-up. I forgot Shirley had a kid.

by Anonymousreply 13612/21/2012

"I forgot Shirley had a kid."

Here's the problem: SO DID SHIRLEY!!!

by Anonymousreply 13712/22/2012

Sooo.. what are y'all sayin', that growin up in Hollywood makes ya nuts?

by Anonymousreply 13812/22/2012

Isn't Shirley a dyke?

by Anonymousreply 13912/22/2012

R132 Hi Carl. Thanks for your post. There of course exceptions. I saw Annie Potts on Larry King when she was doing Designing Woman. Caller asked if she would be in any movies any time soon. She said "no". She said the tv show was enough and it gets her home at night. Movies are on location and she would have to be away from home. She said her children need a mother, they don't need a movie star. Similar interview with Tom Selleck during his Magnum pi days. Instead of making a movie during a summer hiatus he explained he spent it on a boat going down some river with his stepson. Hebsaidvhe hadn't been spending enough time with him and the kid needed a dad more than he needed to make another movie. Nice. Eddiebalbert must have been a great dad. In his last years, his son Edward Albert gave up his own career to be his Dax's caregiver. Sad that he died himself not long after, Mary Martin was by her own admission a lousy mother who said she gave all her love to her audiences and left none for home, but Larry Hagman was said to be a great dad. Pierce Brosnons kids are his whole life.

by Anonymousreply 14012/22/2012

who was the mother of Tom Selleck's stepson? I know he has a daughter with that Jilly woman he married, but who's the stepson? And dis he still see the stepson after he married Jilly?

by Anonymousreply 14112/22/2012

[quote]You guys say bad thing about him here on. DL

What? That he's gay? That he's a republican? Those are just facts. OK, maybe the last one is a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 14312/22/2012

[quote]She also forced her dog to co-author a book with her. I'd love to read that tell-all.

I believe it was titled, "...And they call ME a bitch!"

by Anonymousreply 14412/22/2012

My school was filled with kids of politicians, rock stars, and movie stars. Some were really screwed up, others were just prematurely wised up and worked hard to be their own people. Later in the corporate world, I saw the same in the kids of the executives/generals -- many were fuck ups riding on Daddy's name, others worked a bit too hard trying to emerge from their fathers' shadows.

Sometimes, it depends on the kid.

by Anonymousreply 14512/22/2012

145 posts and not one about what is actually in the book

by Anonymousreply 14612/22/2012

I don't think the book has been published yet, R146.

by Anonymousreply 14712/22/2012

In a related story (actually linked to the one OP linked from the Enquirer) -

JASON GOULD is also thinking about writing a tell-all about HIS mother and their relationship.

Because he's jealous of Barbra's relationship with Seth Rogan.... WTF?

by Anonymousreply 14812/22/2012

Charming thread.

by Anonymousreply 14912/22/2012

[quote]In a book Shirley wrote, she said that the reason she sent her daughter to Japan was because Sam Giancono threatened her when she would not work for him in Vegas and made vague threats about her daughter. She claimed is was for her daughter's safety.

That's fucking hilarious.

"I sent her to the other side of the world where I couldn't look after her -- for her own safety!"

by Anonymousreply 15012/22/2012

I think this bitch watched just one too many episodes of Charmed.

by Anonymousreply 15112/23/2012

+1 with r78. I adore MacLaine no matter how awful, personnally and professionally, she is.

Hell, I write this even believing that, whatever we actually think we "know" about MaClaine as a bad mother, singer, dancer, actor, co-star, New Agey pet-rock worshipper, what have you, the reality is actually worse and still, I'm a huge fan.

So she pulled an anti-Frau and shipped her daughter across an ocean to live with her father; big fucking deal. To read some of the posts here , you'd think she shipped her off to the streets of Bangladesh rather then a country with one of the best standards of living on Earth and has had that for decades, both before and after WWII.

"Pointless bitchery?" Try pointlessnesss.

"Terms of Endearment" is by far, the finest film of a soap opera ever made. It's perfect schlock and I never get sick of watching it, mostly because of MacLaine.

by Anonymousreply 15212/24/2012

Well Della how do you explain the knife she stuck in Carol Haney's back?

by Anonymousreply 15312/24/2012

r153 see r121.

by Anonymousreply 15412/24/2012

[quote] She got sick, which is why she missed "that" performance of THE PAJAMA GAME.

And so the physio she had to take for her leg was because of her drinking?

by Anonymousreply 15512/24/2012

Hal Wallis was in the audience that night specifically to see Carol. Instead Shirley fixed it so she would go on in her place.

So it was Shirley, not Carol, who wound up under contract with Hal Wallis.

Say what you want, but Carol never recovered from the knife she was stabbed with by Shirley.

by Anonymousreply 15612/24/2012

that is a very different story that the one shirley tells r156, not that I am disputing your version but what is your source?

SM clamis, for the record she had just come to the theater from Jones beach and had her notice ready to turn in when they told her she was going on....

by Anonymousreply 15712/24/2012

I am channeling Carol Haney now. She called Shirley a two-faced, back-stabbing, lying sack of shit, but a helluva dancer.

by Anonymousreply 15812/24/2012

I like her, she's courageous and has an amazing career. And I relate to her comment she made about being on the set of "In These Shoes" with Cameron Diaz and the younger actresses, something like "They don't even ask me for advice about line readings, or anything!" True of the internet generation, they have no interest in anyone or anything from the past, they're self centered and uneducated. They also have no rebellious or inquisitive streak, just go along with whatever E.T. or TMZ says.

by Anonymousreply 15912/24/2012

"You know, Cher was right, she said you were an asshole!"

by Anonymousreply 16012/24/2012

Shirley is such a homely woman. Warren got the best of the gene pool. If she was some great beauty she wouldn't be into this afterlife stuff. You'll notice the homely gravitate towards this other life stuff. You know they're praying they'll come back as beauties. Seems everyone feels they have the right to be beautiful. Homely types suffer a mental disorder when they can't accept themselves. It's a mental condition for some. Surely I can't be the only one to notice this. People who are happy with themselves never delve into the supernatural. Why is that?

by Anonymousreply 16112/24/2012

R159, How dare they not ask my opinion?! I am the Queen of Hollywood!

by Anonymousreply 16212/24/2012

R153 what shirl did was soap carol's toe shoes. I asked her a out this in N I get owe, she denied the story and. Alled me a stinkpot for asking it.

by Anonymousreply 16312/24/2012

Say what you will about Shirl's personal life, but she gave, inarguably, one of the five greatest Best Actress performances in film history in Terms Of Endearment. The other four touchstones are, in case you care, Vivien Leigh in GWTW, Shirley Booth in Come Back, Little Sheba, Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice and Charlize Theron in Monster.

by Anonymousreply 16412/24/2012

I like when she channelled Debbie Reynolds in 'Postcards From The Edge'.

by Anonymousreply 16512/24/2012

by Anonymousreply 16712/24/2012

R145. I think you are right. My cousin by marriage has a brother who is fabulously wealthy--yacht, private island, who whole thing. His kids all hate him, not that they are giving back their trust funds, but they all have educations, hard working, career driven and highly accomplished people in their own right.

by Anonymousreply 16812/28/2012

[quote] I like when she channelled Debbie Reynolds in 'Postcards From The Edge'.

Speaking of old ruthless cunts who have daughters who hate them.....

by Anonymousreply 16912/28/2012

Carol Haney is spectacularly featured in the film of Kiss Me Kate where she brilliantly dances a sexy duet to From This Moment On with young Bob Fosse.

Did Hal Wallis not catch her in that?

by Anonymousreply 17012/28/2012

This may be my favorite DL thread of all time! The hatred here for Shirley . . . well, you'd think she was Hitler. Hilarious! Plus, she sent her daughter away to live with her dad. That's SO much better than keeping her around the house to be raised by a nanny while Shirley traveled all over. At some level she knew she was not cut out to be a mom and sent the kid to the dad. Some of you act like she drowned the daughter or mutilated her genitals. And she wrote some books you don't agree with - and someone on here wrote that she practically ruined the whole country because of it. Y'all crack me up. Keep going, I can't wait to read more.

by Anonymousreply 17112/28/2012

[quote]That's SO much better than keeping her around the house to be raised by a nanny while Shirley traveled all over.

You're not very smart, hmm. Do you really think the daddy took care of the kid all by himself?

by Anonymousreply 17212/28/2012

You're no fun AT ALL, R171.

by Anonymousreply 17312/28/2012

R164: She was atrocious in "Terms of Endearment". Basically, she played a brittle, crabby version of the ditzy women she played in her younger days. Just grating throughout. The movie's ending was predictable and laughable in its bathos. Except for Winger, the leads all were miscast.

by Anonymousreply 17512/29/2012

Patty Duke should have played Aurora!

by Anonymousreply 17612/29/2012

LOL@ r164. Theron? I don't think so...

by Anonymousreply 17712/29/2012

You're damaged, R153 etc. Shirley was a NOBODY chorus dancer. She couldn't arrange for ANYTHING, much less to have Haney - who'd gotten rave reviews and sang two of the hit songs - miss a performance.

It was just Haney's bad luck that she got sick and missed the performance.

But Haney already danced in films way before MacLaine and PJG, and she got to do the film of PJG. In other words, she got her Hollywood chance. She didn't have a film-friendly face.

And her health was the reason she gave up performing and started choreographing.

by Anonymousreply 17812/29/2012

I saw an interview with Shirley MacLaine ages ago and she readily admits to being an absentee, emotionally distant mother. I doubt there is much RAGE.

by Anonymousreply 17912/29/2012

[quote]Shirley is such a homely woman. Warren got the best of the gene pool.

I remember Shirley saying something like, "Even when he was three years old and bouncing on my knee, I knew Warren was prettier than I was."

by Anonymousreply 18012/29/2012

Her bio says she was a Qantas stew for 5 years followed by a stint as an au pair.

I have seen her in small parts in film for 25 years, most notably "Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael" starring Winona Ryder. Sachi Parker played a very nervous lesbian teacher involved with Dinah Manoff. She wasn't a horrible actress, but face it: she just doesn't have the mug for stardom.

by Anonymousreply 18112/29/2012

I'd be a nervous lesbian, too, if I was involved with Dinah Manoff.

by Anonymousreply 18212/30/2012

"she readily admits to being an absentee, emotionally distant mother. I doubt there is much RAGE."

You don't know many people with narcissistic tendencies, do you?

If they are ever generous enough to admit they didn't do something entirely perfectly, then they expect to be not only completely forgiven but admired for their honesty and courage. They will get very angry at anyone who tries to hold them accountable for the damage they have done, after they offered a non-apology, because they don't believe other people count for anything.

by Anonymousreply 18312/30/2012

Who remembers that thread recently in which a poster describes being at a party with Shirley MacLaine, who DENIED being herself. "I am not Shirley MacLaine!" It had a brief, fondly-remembered run as a DL catchphrase.

by Anonymousreply 18412/30/2012

When I first moved to LA, I worked as a runner on a couple of films. One of them was "Terms of Endearment" on the second unit. I was just a kid and beside myself especially when I learned that was to be one of her "GOFERS". I thought the best thing to do would be to go to her trailer and introduce myself. Yeah, 20 and naive as hell. I knocked on the door. A woman's voice said, "Enter". I opened the door and said, "Ms. MacLaine, my name is...". She stopped me and without looking up said, "Don't give a shit now get the hell out of here. My assistant will tell you when I need something and never talk to me again". Ugh!

by Anonymousreply 18512/30/2012

Sounds like our experience, R185. Outside an event, she mistook my partner for one of her assistants. "I want my car. Now." she barked at him. He looked at her and she repeated quite loudly "NOW!" Glen looked down at her and said "Who the fuck are you?" She was not happy.

by Anonymousreply 18612/30/2012

[quote]I'd be a nervous lesbian, too, if I was involved with Dinah Manoff.

You have NO idea.

by Anonymousreply 18712/30/2012

They showed her New Mexico home when she was on Oprah a couple of years ago. It was a tacky mess. Tacky, tacky furniture and clutter everywhere. It was borderline hoarder material. Her kitchen was so cluttered with junk that you couldn't set anything down on her counters.

by Anonymousreply 18812/30/2012

It's not that bad, R188

I was sorta critical of her in this thread but after seeing this I've sorta changed my mind. There's no doubt she's one of a kind.

by Anonymousreply 18912/30/2012

I read her books back in the day. Glad I only paid pocket change for them, and didn't put a penny in her bank account. Yeesh, what utter conceited crap. How could anyone take those books seriously? Now that I find out what a first-class B_ _ _ _ H she is, I am doubly glad to not have enriched her. I take nothing away from her abilities as an entertainer, but some humility and graciousness toward others would be appreciated. Esp. considering she is trying to be a or teacher or prophetess. Notice how GENUINE teachers are humble and NON-MATERIALISTIC?? Think Jesus or Buddah. Shirley, are you listening? She reminds me of those cult leaders who live extravagent lives while the members of the cult live poor.

by Anonymousreply 19001/01/2013

"I'd be a nervous lesbian, too, if I was involved with Dinah Manoff."

What's wrong with Dinah Manoff?

by Anonymousreply 19101/01/2013

What I remember from her books is that when she took a bunch of women to China, the freeper gal had the most criticisms, but the best manners and that chaos is the separation from God.

by Anonymousreply 19201/01/2013

She plays cunts really well. "Terms" "Guarding Tess" "Downton". Guess she is just being herself.

by Anonymousreply 19301/06/2013

She fucked everybody--has never been monogamous except when she got old and she had fewer choices. I wonder if that child she abandoned was even her husband's?

by Anonymousreply 19401/06/2013

Well, r194, who all did she fuck?

by Anonymousreply 19501/07/2013

She's kinda kooky and yet endearing...

by Anonymousreply 19701/07/2013

Dinah Manoff and Kristy MacNichol were both dykes? I mean, they could tell Kristy was a lesbian from space but Dinah too?

And Park Overall?

"Empty Nest" might just beat "The L Word" as the dykiest show ever!

by Anonymousreply 19801/08/2013

uh, ignore my R198 post. Seeing that Dinah just played a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 19901/08/2013

Sachi will appear on 20/20 on February 1st to talk about the book! Elizabeth Vargas does the interview. Can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 20001/26/2013

It's disappointing to hear she is such a bitch, I always knew she was strong but never thought the evil. She was perfect as Meryl's mother in Postcards.

by Anonymousreply 20101/26/2013

Did anyone watch the 20/20 interview?

by Anonymousreply 20202/02/2013

R202 can it be watched online?

by Anonymousreply 20402/02/2013

Sachi Parker seemed very charming and sweet on the 20/20 interview. Hard to believe that Shirley MacLaine treated her like she didn't exist. Obviously, Shirley MacClaine was a terrible mother, if this is all true.

Going to read the book.

by Anonymousreply 20502/02/2013

It was a very interesting interview, Shirley is going to have to answer for Sachi Parker's damaging claims.

by Anonymousreply 20602/02/2013

not defending Shirley, but appearing in a Pepsi commercial with her daughter could be interpreted as trying to help her daughter in her career.

Bitch has some explaining to do about not sending her kid to college though. What about uncle Warren? He didn't see the need for his niece to hae a college education.

If Annette had been around then that never would have been permitted.

by Anonymousreply 20702/02/2013

Garry Marshall put his niece (Tracy Reiner) in every single movie he either produced or directed.

Didn't matter if it the role was a sales clerk or waitress. As such Tracy Reiner has over 30 movies to her credit.

Wonder why Uncle Warren didn't do the same?

by Anonymousreply 20802/02/2013

Sachi said that one Christmas in Europe (?) at her boarding school when she was only eight/ten -- she was stranded, neither of her parents showed up to get her or explain that they wouldn't be there to pick her up. Friends took her in for the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 20902/02/2013

Wow, I am so sad to hear MacLaine was so heartless. She always seemed super nice to me. But anyone who wouldn't check on her own fucking daughter at Christmastime is HORRIBLE.

by Anonymousreply 21002/02/2013

I don;t think Shirley MacLaine is evil or heartless, and I don't think Sachi thinks her mother is either of those things either.

Shirley is an incredible narcissist, and she always has been. She has been super-ambitious her entire life and obsessed with herself and her own problems. She probably never should have married or had a child, but that's what all women did in the 50s.

She was a terrible mother to this woman, and some people are just terrible parents. She was not abusive or cruel, but she was neglectful and inattentive. The only thing she had to give Sachi as a girl was money, so that she could have at least had a good education, and for some weird reason (which might have to do with an old-fashioned view of parenting, but given Shirley more likely has much more to do with the fact how deeply selfishness seems part of her character), she refused to do even that.

Sachi is absolutely within her rights to write this book as long as she tells the story honestly, and she does sound like she's being very fair. Shirley has always prided herself on being the sort of person with whom everything is up front: what you see is what you get. So if she's not a huge hypocrite, she knows that she has invited this kind of public criticism from her own daughter and that she has to take it.

by Anonymousreply 21102/02/2013

After seeing # 189's clip, it makes me think Sachi must be so envious of that little dog. Shirley seems to love it so much more than she ever loved her own daughter. Sachi says Shirley would spend a few hours with her , and that would be enough for Shirl, who would send Sachi away. In the clip, she talks about spending '24/7 with Terry, and she sleeps with me in this bed'. Sachi must see that, and hate that little terrier bitch.Shirley's F'd up.

by Anonymousreply 21202/02/2013

I live beside MY daughter.

by Anonymousreply 21302/02/2013

I'm excited. I hope Shirley responds. I'm tired of reading about the drama with JC and BD.

by Anonymousreply 21402/02/2013

I'm having trouble reregistering Shirley in my brain. She was my favorite actress of all time. I thought she was amazing considering how homely she photographed. I was convinced it was shear talent, because, she always struck me as having had to uncross her mothers legs at birth. All this stuff is really none of my business, but having admiration for an asshole is little beyond my abilities.

by Anonymousreply 21502/02/2013

Maybe she wrote a tell-all book because she won't inherit much?? I mean, if the woman didn't give her much as a child, then maybe Sachi knows or thinks she won't get much when Shirley dies? What are your thoughts on this?

by Anonymousreply 21602/02/2013

I wish someone would start a thread on Jennifer Jones,who's daughter commited suicide at age 20. Someone posted on another site that she went to boarding school with Jones' daughter,at the same time as other celebrity offspring ,like Natalie Cole. It' s interesting to note that Jennifer Jones was the first to option the film rights to "Terms Of Endearment" as her comeback role ,but was deemed to old for the part that ironically became Shirley's greatest . Obviously both MacLaine and Jones saw something in the part about a fractured mother /daughter relationship....

by Anonymousreply 21702/02/2013

What about Ethel Merman's daughter, Ethel Jr?

by Anonymousreply 21802/02/2013

It's OBVIOUS that Sachi is telling the truth! She alleges inappropriate sexual contact from the so called father who raised her. First, Shirley would never be able to say it's a lie since she shipped the poor child off ALONE at age 2 to Japan! Also,'father' was a different blood type. Since Sachi was neither her mother or father's blood type, he wasn't her father(Steve Parker). Shirley MacClaine not only treats her daughter like she's disinterested but also as if she HATES her. She's VERY abusive through her reckless negligence She didn't care if Sachi lived or died! Truly Sachi, read up on narcissistic personality disorder. Your mother has it, dangerously so. Poor girl, she desperately wants this pathological woman's love because a mother is a mother but is better off without this witch in her life. MaClaine won't change. Boycotting Downtown Abby!

by Anonymousreply 21904/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 22006/26/2013

For more trashing of this narcissistic, phony old cunt.

by Anonymousreply 22107/07/2013

In the early 90's I dated a guy who was a waiter in a Manhattan restaurant. SM was one of his customers. He was not impressed...he told me, for all the new-age rhetoric she embraced, she was very fluttery, vapid and unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 22207/07/2013

Maybe Letterman was right. Maybe she IS an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 22307/07/2013

She was friendly with Lucille Ball, another superbitch/mother-from-Hell.

by Anonymousreply 22407/08/2013

I think she gave a few wonderful performances--"The Apartment" and "Terms of Endearment," and her Martha in "The Children's Hour" was a brave if somewhat unconvincing effort. But her gamine-at-age-40 got a little tired, and she was seriously underpowered in "Sweet Charity." Her turn as Debbie Reynolds was wry and witty in an in-joke way, except that Debbie always had a much better sense of humor and more musical oomph, and some sense of warmth. I think she was as good as she was in "TOE" a) because she is an actor who takes her work seriously and b) the blend of comedy and tragedy may have matched some of her own experience and outlook.Sentiment aside, in retrospect, Jane Alexander, Debra Winger, and even Julie Walters (I say even only because the script was so formulaic) could justifiably beaten MacLaine on the basis of merit that year.

by Anonymousreply 22507/08/2013

I think the crusty old dowager is the one bumping this thread.

by Anonymousreply 22607/08/2013

No [226]it's ME!

by Anonymousreply 22707/08/2013

Maybe Shirley was playing herself in Postcards from the Edge? She's great in that movie as a terrible mother.

by Anonymousreply 22807/08/2013

Finally got around to reading this now that it's selling for cheap on Amazon. What a nut Shirley is. She shipped her kid off to Japan to be raised by a charlatan who claimed he was a clone and that the real guy was shipped into outer space. She would send him lots of money every month and he would go on ritzy vacations and leave Sachi alone at home. Later Shirley cut her off financially at 18, saying it would be good for her, as if she had done anything for her to begin with. It seems strange Shirley had a kid to begin with. She seems to resent anything that intrudes on her spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 22911/18/2013

Excerpt from the DM

by Anonymousreply 23011/18/2013

I'm a witch wiz, or what many would call a clairvoyant which I don't consider a euphemism for witch.

Not only do I believe reincarnation exists. I believe all human beings were Gods, and are hexed by more powerful Gods.

A relative of mind recently died, and I know what happened to her: she was reborn into a another family and will live a happy life.

I was raised Catholic, and I just don't think that the Christian would put up with human beings this long without ending them or life on this earth.

I always had a problem with human beings having free will, yet if they make it to heaven, they will be changed into a new body, and be something like robots because no more evil will exist in them: they will now be perfected robots, or something God should have thought of from the beginning when he created Adam. Could have spared him from human disobedience.

Christianity is NOT intelligent, in my opinion. Reincarnation makes a lot more sense me if there are more powerful entities who tricked human beings and put is in this earth rut that we cannot seem to get out of.

by Anonymousreply 23107/27/2014

I love this quote from her book

[quote]Airlines still showed films on big screens then and occasionally one of my mother’s movies would play in-flight. It was odd to look up at her face, glamorous and larger than life, while I was pouring orange juice and carrying sick bags.

by Anonymousreply 23207/27/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!