Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Henry Rollins: Gay Marriage = Punk Rock

Punk rock icon Henry Rollins is endorsing same-sex marriage in a new editorial.

The former Black Flag frontman-turned-television host and actor has penned a lengthy blog for LA Weekly, in which he not only praises Washington state's recent same-sex marriage victory, but adds that the nation's stance on the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community is "getting better all the time."

Still, Rollins sees substantial room for improvement. He writes:

"Marriage equality is a term so ridiculous on its face that when you hear it mentioned, you would think you were in Riyadh. Years from now, perhaps we can lose the equality part, the same-sex part and call it what it is -- marriage. As much as the homophobes, an ever-thinning herd, whines and screeches, the earth is shifting underneath their feet and things are getting better all the time. This is going to be an incredible century. Didn't get off to a very good start but we are making some bold and exciting strides forward." He goes on to note:

"When we all got into punk rock, we learned that we had all kinds of people in our scene; gay was part of it. I thought it was really cool. We were a crew of social misfits of all stripes and it was the music that brought us together. The fact that there were so many gay people in punk bands, I think, really gave the music an incredible dynamic. Frustration and emotion were expressed without orientation clauses; all you needed was to be was alive to be a part of it." Saying he "appreciates and admires the day-to-day courage of the gay people I have encountered in the music world and elsewhere," he adds, "I have never been put in the position of having to 'stand up' for my heterosexuality."

You can read the blog in full here.

It isn't the first time the 51-year-old Rollins has weighed in on the issues of same-sex marriage and LGBT rights. Earlier this year, he produced a video criticizing the actions of anti-gay marriage groups (watch the video above).

by Anonymousreply 3203/04/2013

I love that even the Huffpo comments have someone saying Henry is "hung like a donkey."

by Anonymousreply 112/20/2012

Well, it's about time.

by Anonymousreply 212/20/2012

Henry in known to be hung like an olive.

by Anonymousreply 312/20/2012

I want him in me quite deeply. And repeatedly. Every hole he can fit that donkey dick into. Since 1998.

by Anonymousreply 412/20/2012

Well, he's gay so he should support it.

by Anonymousreply 512/20/2012

My goodness, I'm feeling rather ... moist down there...

by Anonymousreply 612/20/2012

R5 Exactly what I was thinking.

by Anonymousreply 703/04/2013

I truly wish I could marry his crazy ass

by Anonymousreply 803/04/2013

HE used to be pretty hot but he looks too old now..his lips have disappeared like my grandpa's.

by Anonymousreply 903/04/2013

[quote]HE used to be pretty hot but he looks too old now..his lips have disappeared like my grandpa's.

Yeah, his looks took a HUGE dive within just the last 3 years.

by Anonymousreply 1003/04/2013

Henry's tattoos were of the unregulated type, meaning the inks were not of high quality. Unfortunately, many of these inks contain arsenic and other poisonous toxins.

These toxic inks are very aging to the body.

by Anonymousreply 1103/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 1203/04/2013

Why is he so obsessed with gays? He's been this way for decades now. Is he gay?

by Anonymousreply 1303/04/2013

I've had a crush on him since I teenager. Smart, sexy and built like brick shithouse.

by Anonymousreply 1403/04/2013

i saw him in a restaurant once, sucking meat off the bone. don't think i've ever seen anything more erotic.

by Anonymousreply 1503/04/2013

Wow, R11, I never knew about that. Talk about an insidious and subtle side effect that you wouldn't expect.

by Anonymousreply 1603/04/2013

Cool guy. Cool message.

by Anonymousreply 1703/04/2013

r13, no he's just a liberal. It's annoying how people can't accept that a straight guy might be enthusiastically pro-gay. If you want further explanation as to why though, I remember seeing him on a show talking about having an abusive right-wing father, who among other things, like to call him a fag. He probably hates his father and set out to be the exact opposite of him.

by Anonymousreply 1803/04/2013

I never heard of this guy until this thread. He is very handsome! So he is gay? There are so many pissed off people on his IMBD message board who said he is 100% straight ,and he is just pro gay rights that's all? So what is the truth?

by Anonymousreply 1903/04/2013

R18, someone on IMBD said that he is 52 and he has never been married so do the math? So the guy being a homo is bull then? I'm just asking.

by Anonymousreply 2003/04/2013

I think it's insulting to gays to assume any pro-gay straight guy is secretly gay. There's nothing complicated about the concept of equality, it's one of the bedrock principles of liberalism. So why does someone have to be gay to see it as an important issue?

by Anonymousreply 2103/04/2013

r20, part of the math is he's always been outspokenly pro-gay since the 90s. Henry clearly sees nothing wrong with being gay, so if he were gay, why wouldn't he just come out? Musicians have been coming out many decades now, starting with Elton in 1976. KD Land and Melissa Etheridge had the biggest albums of the careers after coming out. It's very clear that he would come out if he were gay.

by Anonymousreply 2203/04/2013

He is outspoken about this subject but also about many other things. Since he left Black Flag he has been very political and does spoken word tours.

by Anonymousreply 2303/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 2403/04/2013

Gotta love him.

by Anonymousreply 2503/04/2013

I came of age during the early punk movement. It was quite a refuge.

by Anonymousreply 2603/04/2013

He clearly gets by on sex appeal because his so-called songs and writing suck.

by Anonymousreply 2703/04/2013

I could happily spend the rest of my life with Henry Rollins' cock down my throat.

by Anonymousreply 2803/04/2013

It's the civil rights issue of our time, and Rollins is on the right side and has been for some time. I think he may well be another straight ally who knows history will regard his actions well.

Either way, I'd happily take any appendage he has in any hole I've got.

by Anonymousreply 2903/04/2013

[quote]I think it's insulting to gays to assume any pro-gay straight guy is secretly gay.

Sorry, but no. I don't claim all straight guys who support gays must be gay themselves. This is merely a critique of Henry. He's over the top with it.

by Anonymousreply 3003/04/2013

How can someone be "over the top" with support for civil rights??

You sound dumb.

by Anonymousreply 3103/04/2013

I don't think he's gay. He's from a dysfunctional Jewish family & I have heard he's stalkerish towards women, or was when he was younger.

by Anonymousreply 3203/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!