Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"This is 40": why did Judd Apatow call it that?

No one I know who is 40 and married lives in a McMansion with their own businesses and owning Lexuses.

Does Apatow really think his incredibly privileged life is like everyone else's?

by Anonymousreply 10111/02/2013

I know people like that. It happens.

Plus, it's a movie. Some movies are meant to be aspirational.

by Anonymousreply 112/20/2012

I aspire to be married to Paul Rudd.

by Anonymousreply 212/20/2012

[quote]Well, that only proves you don't know many successful people.

There just aren't that many people who are that successful as these two characters are. People like that are called "one-percenters" for a reason--99% of the population does not live as well as they do.

But "This is 40" as a title implies "This couple exemplifies all couples who are forty."

by Anonymousreply 412/20/2012

Apatow's milieu has always been narrow: privileged, Jewish LA west-siders. It's the world he comes from, and I think he really does believe this is how most people live.

by Anonymousreply 512/20/2012

I'm so sick of him pushing his tiny little vision of life on everyone. And also pushing his talentless wife and daughters.

he needs to get out of LA and see there's more to the world than just what he grew up with. Woody Allen eventually did that with his circumscribed little world of Manhattan; Apatow needs to do it too.

by Anonymousreply 812/20/2012

It looks like the big screen version of MODERN FAMILY.

by Anonymousreply 912/20/2012

[quote]he needs to get out of LA and see there's more to the world than just what he grew up with. Woody Allen eventually did that with his circumscribed little world of Manhattan; Apatow needs to do it too.

The ONLY reason Woody Allen started shooting films outside of NYC is funding.

by Anonymousreply 1012/20/2012

[quote]How many Irish-American voices are there in the entertainment world besides the yukky Edward Burns?

Denis Leary

Bill Murray

Brian Doyle Murray

Will Ferrell

Bill Maher

Tom Cruise (Mapother)

Joe Queenan reviewing the movies

by Anonymousreply 1112/20/2012

R7, R11, Guess I must be "chopped corned beef," and not "chopped liver," right?"

by Anonymousreply 1212/20/2012

40 is the average IQ of the target audience for the movie.

by Anonymousreply 1312/20/2012

R14, Stop with the blatant anti-Semitism. Not all Jews "look Jewish?" Have you ever seen Asian, Black, Hispanic, etc. Jews? Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 1512/20/2012

Apatow is terrible. Everyone raved about Knocked Up and I finally watched it. Overlong, one step up from frat boy comedy mixed with some frau drama. Shit shit shit.

by Anonymousreply 1612/20/2012

I want to get naked with Paul Rudd.

Even though he's flabby and looks like he has a five-incher, tops.

Is there such a thing as Small-Dick Face?

by Anonymousreply 1712/20/2012

What a moronic thread. Lots of artists, from directors to novelists to musicians, have a subject matter and/or a milieu with which they are primarily concerned. Whether Apatow's choice of topic might fits with your own agenda really has no relevance whatsoever.

The Woody Allen analogy doesn't hold up, either. All his truly important films were set in Manhattan and portrayed a limited crowd of people.

Apatow may or may not be your cup of tea - I think he's had hits and misses, and his movies are definitely too long - but this line of criticism is particularly feeble.

by Anonymousreply 1812/20/2012

[quote]Have you ever seen Asian, Black, Hispanic, etc. Jews?

Yeah, because representations of them are so prevalent in American pop culture, it would be natural to assume Judd Apatow would cast Lucy Liu to play a Jewish person. Get real, you're just looking to be offended.

by Anonymousreply 1912/20/2012

I think we all agree that the issue here is, this is a movie that, by its title, purports to tackle the strangeness and crisis of reaching middle age, but betrays how out of touch its makers are by placing the characters in the upper economic strata, making them Hollywood beautiful, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2012/20/2012

Multiple reviews of the movie I've read have used the phrase "white people problems."

by Anonymousreply 2112/20/2012

"No one I know who is 40 and married lives in a McMansion with their own businesses and owning Lexuses."

You need to get out more. Most of my friends own their business, or are execs, own nice homes and drive nice cars.

by Anonymousreply 2212/20/2012

I am 43 and own my own business and drive a Lexus. It's a 2002 and I bought it used in 2006 for a really good price.

by Anonymousreply 2412/20/2012

"Most of my friends own their business, or are execs, own nice homes and drive nice cars."

Then YOU need to get out more, R22.

by Anonymousreply 2512/20/2012

[quote]How many Irish-American voices are there in the entertainment world besides the yukky Edward Burns? [quote]Denis Leary Bill Murray Brian Doyle Murray Will Ferrell Bill Maher Tom Cruise (Mapother) Joe Queenan reviewing the movies

Bruce Springsteen

John Fogerty

Regis Philbin

Brian Williams

Conan O'Brien

Dennis Lehane

Walt Disney

Michael Moore

John Huston

Alfred Hitchcock

Harrison Ford

Georgia O'Keefe

Gene Kelly

Ben Affleck

the Barrymores

Jennifer Connelly

Zachary Quinto

Bridget Moynahan

Mark Wahlberg

Matthew Broderick

Rosie O'Donnell

the Baldwins

Maura Tierney

Mia Farrow

Diane Keaton

Must I go on?

by Anonymousreply 2612/20/2012

I just hope Paul Rudd finally shows his cute ass! This pic gets me rock hard in a matter of seconds...

by Anonymousreply 2712/20/2012

R19, No I'm not looking to be offended, I was just trying to make a point. I'm sick of Hollywood stereotyping what Jews "look like," so I'm very glad Apatow decided to "break the mold." By the way Central Casting on up in the decision-making process would normally cast someone that was Hispanic or Hawaiian as a Jew, rather than a fair-skinned, light-eyed blond.

Oh and the same stereotyping goes for Blacks who supposedly "aren't Black enough," or Armenians being told to "grow a mustache to look more Hispanic." Every non-Caucasian faces these ridiculous and insulting old-fashioned prejudices.

by Anonymousreply 2812/20/2012

Why do you call Edward Burns "yucky"? I've always thought he was kind of cute.

by Anonymousreply 3012/21/2012

It's not just him. Even "everyman" blue-collar type characters always live in some gigantic, beautiful house. And have cars, SUVs, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3112/21/2012

Oh yeah, R24, I am 40 and take the subway and I have my own business: I am an artist who has shown @ the Whitney. My life is nothing like a Judd Apatow film. Thank god.

by Anonymousreply 3312/21/2012

Just before the new one opened, his inane interchangeable comedies had earned him $39 million?

by Anonymousreply 3412/21/2012

For a long time, the Irish were the only gentiles that would marry Jews

by Anonymousreply 3512/21/2012

"Hip hip hooray for you: but most ticketgoers are not as rich & privileged as Apatow or his "everyman" & "everywoman" characters."

So? Most "ticketgoers" aren't as poor and abused as the woman in Precious Based On The Novel Push By Sapphire, either. Didn't mean they shouldn't or didn't want to see it.

by Anonymousreply 3712/21/2012

OP, it's not intended as a documentary.

by Anonymousreply 3812/21/2012

I just saw a trailer for this (for the 40thtime) and thought, hollywood is now creating movies for these 40s 1%ers to just watch in their McMansion screening rooms filled with Restoration Hardware decor. I mean who would go to a theatre to see this?

And why does my autocorrect make it "theatre" when I type "theater"?

by Anonymousreply 3912/21/2012

[quote]I aspire to be married to Paul Rudd.

I really like Rudd, too, but someone said something about him once that's really very true: the bulk of his career has been spent making mostly crap movies, but he's white and a man and he's cute, so no one says anything about it. If he were black (Murphy, Perry, etc.) or a woman (Aniston, Witherspoon, etc.), he would be ripped to shreds for it.

by Anonymousreply 4012/21/2012

Get him!

by Anonymousreply 4112/21/2012

Ummmm? Some do!

by Anonymousreply 4212/21/2012

Many of the classic screwball comedies of the Depression era were about 1%ers. People adored them and still do, eighty years later.

by Anonymousreply 4312/21/2012

Movies like this make me feel great.

by Anonymousreply 4412/21/2012

Paul Rudd is not criticized like Murphy or Anniston not because he is a white male. It is because he has never been an A-List star of movies who gets paid $15-20 million or more for a string of flops. Rudd is not even really a leading man. How many movies has he headlined? How many 8 figure pay days? I recall seeing maybe 3-4 movies in which he was the lead male, but they were all low budget, focused on a much more famous or accomplished female co-star, and were many years ago. He was that one guy from Clueless and then he started showing up in Apatow/Apatow-tree comedies as a 6th-12th billed actor, with a couple semi-recent co-leads thrown-in.

by Anonymousreply 4512/22/2012

r32 Their work is not obsolete because they are dead, you dumbass. They and their work are cultural icons. What are you, 20 years old?

by Anonymousreply 4612/22/2012

Rudd is quickly heading into Steve Carrell territory. They probably get the same scripts.

by Anonymousreply 4712/22/2012

The issue is not about the world Apatow potrays.

THE ISSUE is with the title, "This is 40." For most people in the country his 40 is definitely not 40. He should have called it, "This is MY 40."

I saw the movie a couple of weeks back in a screener. It is cute. But the couple lives in a house that looks like it should belong to a much older and much much richer couple. It looks like it's the home of a man who has made $39 million from his movies. I mean the master bedroom is about four rooms in and of itself - a bedroom, sitting room, bathroom, closet suites.

by Anonymousreply 4812/22/2012

It's also a flop.

The semi-sequel to Knocked Up, with Paul Rudd and the incandescent Leslie Mann, opening at 10 mil?? Nuclear flop.

by Anonymousreply 4912/22/2012

I agree the problem the OP is identifying is not with the movie but with the title. "This is 40" makes it sound like everyone 40 has the same problems these characters do, but also like everyone lives in a giant house in West LA.

He should have called it "Fart Jokes among the Entitled."

by Anonymousreply 5012/22/2012

Um does anybody here watch House Hunters? Almost every couple aspire to having these homes albeit, not in LA, where they are in the millions. In most places, mcmansions like this are $250,000 and that is why they can also afford Lexuses because they are not paying that much for their homes.

by Anonymousreply 5112/22/2012

R51 lives in the dream world that got us into this recession.

by Anonymousreply 5212/22/2012

Was there a law passed when I wasn't looking that requires us to see this film...because otherwise who cares what a filmmaker chooses to call his film. It's his film. And either people will be on board or they won't. The OP won't or isn't. Others will be. Maybe the characters bought the house in a short sale, maybe they scrimped and saved. It's not like this is the fist time in cinema characters have lived in a way that didn't necessarily reflect reality. The title is also a marketing tool

The title tells you exactly what ground the film is going to cover. From the trailer you can see what his point of view is so it's not like it's bait and switch, you can tell if it's not your idea of forty before you set foot in the theater.

Years ago I read an interview with a Russian filmmaker who said that American films were just as full as propaganda. When asked how so, the example was that whenever a character in an American film opened a fridge it was full of food, which of course is not the reality of a good number of U.S. citizens.

So it's not like Apatow is doing anything that isn't already a hallmark of U.S. films.

by Anonymousreply 5312/22/2012

This film is inaccurate in its timeline. Knocked UP took place in 2006. This is 40 takes place 5 years later in 2012. But 5 years later is actually 2011. Were they in a time warp? Why not just say this film takes place 6 years later?

by Anonymousreply 5412/22/2012

stellar reviews from the NY Times!! They actually said, 'Don't listen to the mouth-breathers on datalounge. They are bitter queens who live in their mother's basements.'

by Anonymousreply 5512/22/2012

Wow. I just saw the trailer for the movie and it seems incredibly lame and unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 5712/22/2012

I saw this last night and it was awful. Very few funny bits, totally unlikable characters (save the younger daughter), and probably an hour too long. Judd Apatow is the new M. Night Shayamalan.

by Anonymousreply 5812/22/2012

[quote]and we get to see Rudd on the toilet a few times.

Does he show asshole?

by Anonymousreply 5912/22/2012

God, how I loathe that most things that come out of Hollywood are representations of the white, upper middle class experience.

How dreadfully boring. I'm glad this movie is flopping.

STOP trying to make her happen, Judd Apatow. She will never, ever happen. If her career was based on her talent level, she'd be the second banana on some ABC sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 6012/22/2012

Why didn't Leslie Mann's career die after she screamed "Faggot" at that security guard?

by Anonymousreply 6112/22/2012

Because he has whit for brains.

by Anonymousreply 6212/22/2012

This is a really terrible movie about really horrible people. They whine the entire time about not having enough money. Yet somehow they have every expensive toy available. They live in a huge house in Brentwood (a really expensive neighborhood in LA). The wife has a cutesy clothing store but has not noticed that she is missing $10,000. In order to cope with not having enough money they take off for a weekend at a luxury hotel, get stoned and order all the deserts off the room service menu. I would say spoiler alert but nothing much else happens in this movie and it is 2.5 hours long.

by Anonymousreply 6312/22/2012

Whit = shit

by Anonymousreply 6412/22/2012

r51 has it right. That's the life of just abut every straight couple I know who are in their 40s. Those cheap McMansions are not the realm of the 1%rs. The 1% live in real mansions.

by Anonymousreply 6512/22/2012

My God, you unemployeds sure are tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 6612/24/2012

What a devastatingly witty response, r66.

by Anonymousreply 6712/24/2012

I went with low expectation and I actually found parts of it very funny and very touching--it is uneven, half an hour too long, and it takes a long time to connect with any of the characters, but not every film has to be a lovefest between the characters and the audience.

And it made me glad to be 55 and not straight (yes, go ahead with the eldergay routine--but I NEVER hiss!)

by Anonymousreply 6812/24/2012

They don't live in a $250K McMansion in LA.

For one thing, You can only get a McMansion for that price if you live way the fuck out in the Inland Empire or the meth cities in northern LA County.

McMansions in West LA are just tear downs of smaller homes with giant homes that take up their expensive lot and go at $600K on up.

The characters live in Brentwood, probably the most expensive part of the very expensive west side. His house would go for $4 million starters.

by Anonymousreply 6912/24/2012

McCarthy was the bright spot

by Anonymousreply 7010/16/2013

The people in the movie aren't that successful, none of them. Except for the wife's father, he's made real money. But the others, they're just faking it and scared shitless of being found out.

by Anonymousreply 7110/16/2013

Exactly, R71; in fact they have to sell the house because they're both struggling in their careers.

by Anonymousreply 7210/16/2013

To me the movie was about incompetent privileged people with "first-world problems". But I was glad to see they were miserable, because to be honest, playing sudoku on the toilet while hiding from your family is just a shit life to live. [and I'm not even mentioning the ipad tablet or whatever it was]

Movie was honest in a way.

by Anonymousreply 7310/16/2013

Makes me want to watch Down and Out in Beverly Hills.

by Anonymousreply 7410/16/2013

I saw this film completely by accident, online. Title didn't faze me. Might do if I were 40, but I'm getting used to American movies being seriously out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 7510/16/2013

Leslie Mann is Irish btw, from SF. Irish Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 7610/16/2013

I'm 41, make $265,000 a year and have a 5000 sq foot lake front home.

by Anonymousreply 7710/16/2013

R74 me too! Down and Out in BH is a terrific movie. Holds up, too!

by Anonymousreply 7810/16/2013

OMG, R77. I am so impressed with you! You must be a superior human being. Tell us more about each $, each year of your life (although I bet you look 29!) and each square foot. Thank you for sharing those humanity-defining statistics with us.

by Anonymousreply 7910/16/2013

Hehehehehe, R79.

by Anonymousreply 8010/16/2013

This Is 40 made me decide very firmly and once and for all that I do not want children.

by Anonymousreply 8110/16/2013

I think it's an honest portrayal of how a lot of married couples live. Beyond their means, up to their eyeballs in debt, and mostly miserable. The message in the movie was to take a step back and appreciate what's truly important in your life.

Also, the house was just a house. I certainly wouldn't call that a McMansion.

by Anonymousreply 8210/16/2013

I thought the movie was hilarious and I love Leslie Mann and Paul Rudd.

by Anonymousreply 8310/16/2013

This is West L.A. Jew 40

by Anonymousreply 8410/16/2013

[quote]Then you know members of the 1%.

Jesus christ, I wish people would really consider what they mean by the 1%.

Having a home and cars doesn't make you part of the 1%. Being the CEO of the development company that built your home or car makes you 1%.

Just like the people who make movies, even the top-earners, are not 1%. The CEOs of the multi-national corporations that own the movie studios are in the 1%.

by Anonymousreply 8510/16/2013

Right on, R85. The people in that movie are privileged, but not that privileged.

And before you ask, I live on minimum wage and I rent.

by Anonymousreply 8610/16/2013

Nicole Holofcener does this sort of movie better - funnier, with more subtlety and more likeable characters. See: "Please Give."

by Anonymousreply 8710/16/2013

Agreed, R87. If Holofcener was a man, she would be much more well known by now.

by Anonymousreply 8810/16/2013

True, Nicole Holofcener has this as her niche. I liked Friends With Money, but I might have found This is 40 more intersting. FWM had more highs and lows, 40 was more even.

All in all, I wouldn't buy either.

Yes, I buy DVDs. Especially when the box is nicely-built.

by Anonymousreply 8910/16/2013

That she can make movies at all, about the topics she wants, is in itself pretty amazing.

by Anonymousreply 9010/16/2013

[quote]Having a home and cars doesn't make you part of the 1%. Being the CEO of the development company that built your home or car makes you 1%.

It's American myopia, r85. It's the same reason most people who voted for Romney believed he was interested in protecting their interests. People get a little whiff of success (nice house, nice car) and suddenly think they are part of the upper class and anyone below them is just not trying hard enough.

by Anonymousreply 9110/16/2013

I think it referenced the life crisis that every adult feels at that age...that this "should be the happiest time in our lives..." yet, do not.

by Anonymousreply 9210/16/2013

I never thought 40 would be the happiest time... Always figured it would be 20-something.

My happiest times were 15-25. 25 was the high point, but looking back now I see how 15 had some very tender moments that can never be replicated.

You think you know all, but you don't, and that's sweet.

by Anonymousreply 9310/16/2013

this thread it totally off the point about the film.

think about the wife discussion about how at this point, being 40, this is the time to finally be "happy" with everything...

meaning, this is the moment the highest level of happiness: you don't have to go through difficult growing pains or beginning professional and family milestones, AND you are not above forty where senescence starts.

I think the film was a good exploration of family bonds and professional strife; an assessment of what their true worth is, and how at times they can be the source of frustration and unhappiness which is contrary to the idea that at 40 you should be happiest in your life, when you have achieved everything that IS supposed to make you happy.

by Anonymousreply 9410/16/2013

Teens and twenties were not my happiest points, as I was focused on finishing them and moving on to the next "step" --they were a wash for me.

I wasn't a hottie and wasn't rich. So that put a cramp in my teens and twenties.

by Anonymousreply 9510/16/2013

Teens and twenties are fun if you are good-looking or have charm. You don't need much money at that point, you don't need to have succeeded in anything. You just need to be fun, enjoyable, and have the "promise" of something good in just a few years.

If you don't build anything during those years and just spend the time enjoying them, yes those years are going to be a blast, but the years following (30s and upwards) are going to be miserable. Because by then, you'll only be judged on what you've achieved.

by Anonymousreply 9610/16/2013

Leslie Mann is okay but her forehead didn't move. Neither did her newly plumped upper lip. The kids were surprisingly good. Their multiple doctor visit montage was annoying too when you consider how many people have no health care. White people problems. Oh and Ryan Adams annoys the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 9710/16/2013

They were also comparing the shopgirl's sales and they said they were $25,000 a day. Even with giant fixed costs and low margins that would be at least $2000 a day. So that's over half a million a year. That's the wife side business. Closed on weekends.

by Anonymousreply 9811/02/2013

Harrison Ford and Matthew Broderick are at least half Jewish.

I can't stand the name Judd.

by Anonymousreply 9911/02/2013

He's like the director (forget her name) that did That's Complicated and a host of other movie. They think everyone makes $500K a year

by Anonymousreply 10011/02/2013

I hate Leslie Mann with the heat of ten thousand suns.

by Anonymousreply 10111/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!