Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What are you getting your significant other this Xmas?

My boyfriend and I decided that since we don't really need anything special, to give each other "something small" this Christmas. We've been together for about a year but I'm kind of flummoxed for ideas. He works a lot and is more of a snacker than a meal eater, so I'm going to make him a big batch of spiced nuts along with some good coffee for his office.

What are you all doing?

by Anonymousreply 10702/17/2013

I'm getting him a wool monkey hoodie sweater.

by Anonymousreply 112/19/2012

I'm hoping he'll buy himself a new MacBook so I can justify buying myself a new one.

by Anonymousreply 212/19/2012

You're giving him office snacks for Christmas? How utterly romantic!

by Anonymousreply 312/19/2012

I don't know what to get my boyfriend. I was thinking a nice sheet set with a note that says something like, "Looking forward to getting these dirty with you."

Or maybe just dinner and a movie.

by Anonymousreply 412/19/2012

The same thing he got us for Christmas last year: Nothing!

by Anonymousreply 512/19/2012

We are planning a trip to Costa Rica in late April. No gifts under no tree.

by Anonymousreply 612/19/2012

My gf and I have been together for three years. I'm in my late 40s, she's in her early 50s. We have everything we need.

We decided to forgo gifts for each other and asked our family members to give extra gifts to others instead of sending us any.

We are pooling our money and giving half of it to a friend who really is in need and will take the other half to KMart to pay off layaways that have kids' stuff in them*.

*Not our idea, we read about a man who did this last year and thought it was one of the greatest things ever.

by Anonymousreply 712/19/2012

[quote]and will take the other half to KMart to pay off layaways that have kids' stuff in them*.

K Mart lets you pay off stranger's bills?

I kinda like that idea - my childhood was filled with k-mart x-mas layaways.

by Anonymousreply 812/19/2012

Bless you R7!

by Anonymousreply 912/19/2012

Appointment book, non-fiction hardcover, DVD set, another DVD.

We lack for little so we keep it simple.

by Anonymousreply 1012/19/2012

Fireplace tools.

by Anonymousreply 1112/19/2012

A sportscoat and a shirt.

by Anonymousreply 1212/19/2012

R8, yes, they will. I went to a KMart near my house today to make sure. They won't tell you exactly what is on someone else's layaway list, but they will tell you how much is owed and if there are items for kids in the basket.

We want to target ones that are behind in their payments. I was worried that if we paid off one of those that they might not know to come in - I'm not explaining this well. I was worried they might think "I'm late and I can't afford to pay this off so I won't even bother." The layaway lady said that the owner would get a call to come pick things up.

There weren't any late ones with kid stuff at that KMart. The lady told me to go to the one over where she lives because there are sure to be some there. Guess I'm going to the Westside tomorrow!

by Anonymousreply 1312/19/2012

I DON'T HAVE A SIGNIFICANT OTHER, YOU INSENSITIVE CLOD!

by Anonymousreply 1412/19/2012

We have enough 'stuff' and our house is full. This year we are giving each other non-credit classes from the local community college.

I am giving him 2 weekends of blacksmithing classes. I have asked for workshops on home brewing, winetasting, and pairing wine/beer to food.

by Anonymousreply 1512/19/2012

OP, your idea sounds perfect.

I'd love to see your recipe for spiced nuts.

by Anonymousreply 1612/19/2012

Can I see your nuts?

by Anonymousreply 1712/19/2012

[quote]I went to a KMart near my house today to make sure. They won't tell you exactly what is on someone else's layaway list, but they will tell you how much is owed and if there are items for kids in the basket.

Then they pocket the money for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 1812/19/2012

Ina Garten's spiced nuts:

Vegetable oil 3 cups whole roasted unsalted cashews (14 ounces) 2 cups whole walnut halves (7 ounces) 2 cups whole pecan halves (7 ounces) 1/2 cup whole almonds (3 ounces) 1/3 cup pure maple syrup 1/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice 2 teaspoons ground chipotle powder 4 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary leaves, divided Kosher salt

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Brush a sheet pan generously with vegetable oil. Combine the cashews, walnuts, pecans, almonds, 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, the maple syrup, brown sugar, orange juice, and chipotle powder on the sheet pan. Toss to coat the nuts evenly. Add 2 tablespoons of the rosemary and 2 teaspoons of salt and toss again.

Spread the nuts in one layer. Roast the nuts for 25 minutes, stirring twice with a large metal spatula, until the nuts are glazed and golden brown. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with 2 more teaspoons of salt and the remaining 2 tablespoons of rosemary.

Toss well and set aside at room temperature, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking as they cool. Taste for seasoning. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight containers at room temperature.

by Anonymousreply 1912/19/2012

his bday is tomorrow so i am doing the dreaded bday/Christmas combo gift - but only so that he does not yell at me for spending too much. i found a really nifty near startup that sells interesting fixies/one speed bikes. he has been talking for months about how he wants to ride to work, but has an old heavy clunker of a bike that he will not lug down the two flights of stairs. i got the bike on sale as well, they are not that expensive. so bike for his bday, and some small accessories under the tree.

by Anonymousreply 2012/19/2012

R18, that crossed my mind ... but it really doesn't bother me. Our goal is to help someone. It doesn't matter who, really. It is just our desire to help kids, if we help adults then so be it.

by Anonymousreply 2112/19/2012

A 3 month subscription to weight watchers

by Anonymousreply 2212/19/2012

We bought a new TV as "our" gift, and donated an equal amount to a local homeless shelter. The cat's getting some cat treats and a new catnip mouse, but did not want to part with any of her allowance, so we also donated to the local animal shelter in her name. Ungrateful little brat.

by Anonymousreply 2312/19/2012

OP, I understand the inclination to exchange gifts of "something small," but spiced nuts and coffee really seems to be overdoing it -- or underdoing it, as the case may be. Unless you're also giving him something big on a regular basis, you might well be single by New Year's.

by Anonymousreply 2412/19/2012

A bag of switches and a lump of coal.

by Anonymousreply 2512/19/2012

I'm getting Calvin a 12 inch black rubber dildo

by Anonymousreply 2612/19/2012

Giving small,simple,inexpensive gifts doesn't mean you're romantic...

it means you're CHEAP.

by Anonymousreply 2712/19/2012

R19

Ina Garten is a CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 2812/19/2012

R7, you and your gf are wonderful! I read about this last year, too, but didn't think I'd "know" (in the sense of knowing, sort of, fellow DR posters) anyone - brava!

by Anonymousreply 2912/19/2012

I've agreed to one three way per quarter. I don't really want to, but it's what he wants.

by Anonymousreply 3012/19/2012

Very nice R7. And may you be blessed many times over.

by Anonymousreply 3112/19/2012

I'm in a sham of a marriage with kids. So, nothing.

by Anonymousreply 3212/19/2012

R27 can't get fucked without paying for it.

by Anonymousreply 3312/19/2012

Mine is a big surprise. I've comissioned a portrait of myself in antebellum atire to hang over our fireplace. I've been hiding it in the carriage house, so he genuinely has no idea!

by Anonymousreply 3412/19/2012

New tires. Hey, it's what he wanted. But since they don't fit under the tree, I also got him a pair of Vans and a hoodie.

by Anonymousreply 3512/19/2012

A new fucking tie

by Anonymousreply 3612/19/2012

R15 is a bottom.

by Anonymousreply 3712/19/2012

One gift each, we are getting each other new bikes. Then fun little stuff for our stockings. I also rec'd a pair of tickets from my job for The Book of Mormon, so I'll surprise him with that - any yes, I will let him know they were a work thing.

by Anonymousreply 3812/19/2012

A nice messenger bag, cable knit sweater, scarf and some nice lotions from L'Occitaine. R7 has the best gift idea, though, and if I didn't already spend my money, I would have convinced my boyfriend to follow their example.

by Anonymousreply 3912/19/2012

dildo

by Anonymousreply 4012/19/2012

We've been together 25 years (this NYE) and don't need anything. So, we adopted a family - 7 kids and 2 parents - from the school where my partner volunteers.

It was fun buying their gifts and we will think of them on Christmas. I have a feeling they are going to be very happy.

by Anonymousreply 4112/19/2012

Very nice R41. Merry Christmas to you.

by Anonymousreply 4212/19/2012

Oooh, report back on this year's Xmas Holiday Hell thread, r22.

I'm already anticipating the dramatic hilarity.

by Anonymousreply 4312/19/2012

Caftans. Earrings.

Seriously---we don't buy gifts for each other. We just take the money we would have spent and go on a vacation to Vegas, the Bahamas etc. after the holidays ( usually in spring )

by Anonymousreply 4412/19/2012

One of my buddies is a bladesmith, and I got him to design and make a custom Bowie knife for my ol'man. We will be on annual deer hunt in Colorado when I give it to him. But it is New Years gift, because that is what we celebrate.

by Anonymousreply 4512/19/2012

Halo 4

by Anonymousreply 4612/19/2012

Would someone who paid the $18 post a thread and ask what was the best gift a partner ever gave them?

by Anonymousreply 4712/19/2012

We don't have a lot of money and I am truly at a loss. I bought him a nice winter coat and a dress shirt, but nothing "fun" or romantic. We are barely making ends meet and I would've preferred we didn't exchange but he already bought me a gift, so I must reciprocate. Someday I hope we have enough money to help someone else. I love the idea of adopting a family or donating to a charity.

by Anonymousreply 4812/19/2012

You sound sweet, r48.

by Anonymousreply 4912/19/2012

since you're all handing out free suggestions what should I get my aunt and uncle?

by Anonymousreply 5012/19/2012

r48, It may be cheesy, but it's free and can be funny and it's free. Write out coupons for silly, sexual or sweet deeds to be be used whenever you boyfriend decides to redeem them.

Good for winning one argument

Good for a BJ/back rub/ anything he likes on demand

Good for making a meal of your choice...

by Anonymousreply 5112/19/2012

That's nice, but they live in another state.

by Anonymousreply 5212/19/2012

That's a terrible idea, R51. These people are not children giving mommy a coupon book. They have sex with each other.

by Anonymousreply 5312/19/2012

r48---you two have each other. You are very fortunate.

by Anonymousreply 5412/19/2012

r53, I realize that. It's why I included a blow job as a possible option.

The reason I thought of it was a broke college boyfriend did this for me and it was fun and sweet that he took the time to think of a bunch of things I would like. It was half x-rated and half sweet.

r48 wanted something free, funny and romantic. Better ideas than mine would be helpful.

by Anonymousreply 5512/19/2012

R23, I love that. Maybe next year she will realize she was selfish this year... but you guys are generous to make sure she represents...

by Anonymousreply 5612/19/2012

R48 wanted a pity party...not a terrible idea. That coupon gift might be palatable if you're in college, but, even then, the guy would need to be incredibly hot to pull it off.

R48 should give his man the coat and shirt and stop stressing out about not giving enough. If his man isn't happy enough with those gifts, then the relationship is doomed anyway. It's bad enough that a gift is even expected if they're living hand to mouth.

by Anonymousreply 5712/19/2012

R53 - go take a pill. A home made coupon book is a sweet and thoughtful idea when money is tight (or even when it's not). Something along the same lines is a gift of a promise to do something your partner would enjoy (or to do something your partner doesn't want to do on his/her behalf).

by Anonymousreply 5812/19/2012

Earrings

Caftans

by Anonymousreply 5912/19/2012

The coat and the shirt are enough as far as presents go. If you want to do something romantic, give him a spa night at home, if possible.

Buy some massage oil, candles and a Lush bath bomb. Get out the crockpot and a cooler. Set up some "chill" ambient-type music in the bathroom (free over the internets). Have his favorite drink or wine on hand. Light the candles and draw him a bath using the bath bomb. Turn out the lights in the bathroom. Let him relax with his glass of wine with the music. Meanwhile, heat up the towels in the dryer and toss into a cooler to keep them warm. Use the crock pot to keep the massage oil and some washcloths warm.

Make sure the bedroom is also lit by candlelight and has the "spa" music going. Dry him off after his post-bath shower and hustle him to the bed. Give him a massage. Start with the feet and calves using the warm oil. When one foot is done, wrap it in a towel while you do the other foot. Wrap that one when done. Go back to the first foot and rub it using rubbing alcohol, wipe with the washcloth and re-wrap. Do the other foot. Then continue with the full-body massage. Make you use do his hands and fingers.

You can google for some techniques.

If he likes this kind of thing, it's a nice thing to do. I do it for my partner from time to time (I'm way overdue, but now I'm inspired). I get bored in the bath myself but I love the massage.

A Xanax is nice too.

by Anonymousreply 6012/20/2012

R58, that coupon book idea is so circa 1980s. Might as well come with a calendar with your glamor shots and feathered hair while your at it.

by Anonymousreply 6112/20/2012

With all the generous people on here espousing how they are going to adopt poor families etc....

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE! Not a single one of you is going to help out anyone gay on your list. What happened to giving back to the community.

Poor families get help from churches, charities and government assistance, toys for tots etc. Gays get nothing. Whatever happens to taking care of each other?

I am revoking your gay cards, you dues have not been paid in a long time. You are very welcome for all the free help you got from previous gay people who literally died for you. Narcissistic Bitches.

by Anonymousreply 6212/20/2012

OP, nuts for Christmas? If there is not a hot man attached besides yourself, you better get something more substantial.

Food gifts are what you give an office coworker you have no personal relationship with.

I have made those nuts for parties, and people like them but its like you just bought a can of planters. Takes like 5 minutes to make.

Your first xmas should be special, if you really want to do nuts, that should be a stocking stuffer not the bets idea you came up with.

by Anonymousreply 6312/20/2012

He has everything he wants that I could afford. So its boring but cloths, hoodie, slippers, polo shirt, jeans. He doesn't like shopping so in a way its a gift.

It's torturous going shopping with him too. He will spend like 2 hours in one section of one store. "should I get this? How about this? Don't go anywhere, I need to you to find me this"

by Anonymousreply 6412/20/2012

No significant other here. Old and alone.

by Anonymousreply 6512/20/2012

Me too R65. :( Tough, so I give stuff to my family, and never get anything, really. I stopped expecting years ago.

by Anonymousreply 6612/20/2012

A good vacuum cleaner for his asthma and for pet hair

by Anonymousreply 6712/20/2012

Well R65, consider yourself lucky. Save lots of money, time and frustration and faking a smile because all you got from you love was a can of nuts.

by Anonymousreply 6812/20/2012

R6, you are kind of a harsh bitch, aren't you. Can your friends sit on your new couch, or do you want to charge them for wear and tear?

At least get a tree.

by Anonymousreply 6912/20/2012

[quote]WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE! Not a single one of you is going to help out anyone gay on your list. What happened to giving back to the community.

Maybe the posters here just didn't respond because we feel it is unseemly to tout one's charitable donations.

My partner and I donated to one of our local gay youth organizations. We are in a group of eight couples who are friends. One of the couples donated $50 per couple to a local AIDS-services provider.

So, for the purpose of refuting your assertion that no one donates to causes that help gays, I posted my experience.

But I was brought up differently.

by Anonymousreply 7012/20/2012

We went to see Les Miserables and had a great dinner and night out on the town going to jazz clubs.

by Anonymousreply 7112/20/2012

Oh, how adorable...just ALL of you!

by Anonymousreply 7212/20/2012

Is r71 posting from the future? How was New Year's Eve?

Oh and this:

[quote]some nice lotions from L'Occitaine

MARY.

by Anonymousreply 7312/20/2012

A box of Fleet Enemas and a pair of Spanx.

by Anonymousreply 7412/20/2012

The Miserables starts on Christmas Day...HEL-LO?

by Anonymousreply 7512/20/2012

"Something small" means it should be in a small blue box tied with a big white ribbon...

by Anonymousreply 7612/20/2012

R60 just SCREAMS straight woman!

by Anonymousreply 7712/20/2012

No, r77. I'm a gay guy with a partner who loves a nice long bath with the weird music and a massage. He might be a straight woman with a cock, though.

by Anonymousreply 7812/20/2012

Clothes n shit

by Anonymousreply 7912/20/2012

[R62] Damn, you're right! Help your own first.

by Anonymousreply 8012/20/2012

I want a significant other for Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 8112/20/2012

r20 I am a Christmas Baby too,tell your BF I said happy birthday.

I got a care package of candy, weed, toiletries, We agreed to spend no more than twenty dollars on each other, the holidays together are enough

by Anonymousreply 8212/20/2012

I have a question. Last year I gave me friend a 6 month subscription to Netflix.

Now yesterday, I get a notice in the email that says, "Your gift subscription to Netflix was never claimed. You have the option to resend it or reuse it for yourself."

Should I

1) Give it to him again

2) Use it myself

3) Tell him to go fuck himself.

by Anonymousreply 8312/20/2012

1) Give it to him again

by Anonymousreply 8412/20/2012

This thread is mostly filled with nice posts and good feelings, except for the shrewish few who inexplicably attack the posters who propose ideas they don't like. I've never understood this. If you don't like someone's idea, then suggest something else, but why bring so much negativity and vitriol into a nice thread?

I like your coupon book idea, r51. It is very sweet and meaningful because it's personal, and the gifts are moments shared between the two of you.

OP, I'd think twice about giving your BF a bag of nuts. You're really taking a risk with that one.

by Anonymousreply 8512/20/2012

An Apple product of course.

by Anonymousreply 8612/20/2012

Someone told me to get the Apple "box" that hooks your computer up to the TV. Does anyone know what they're talking about? Said it costs about a hundred bucks.

by Anonymousreply 8912/20/2012

apple tv

by Anonymousreply 9012/20/2012

I say get him a bag of nuts and enjoy the netflix yourself

by Anonymousreply 9112/20/2012

I got her an XBox.

by Anonymousreply 9212/21/2012

Chill out R83, there are many reasons you friend may have not used Netflix. If the gift was through email, he may have thought it was spam. If it was given in person, he may have had a subscription already and being gracious to accept the gift. Or he could have lost it in the shuffle, or even be afraid he will be stuck with it once it runs out.

I have sent digital books before to people I know use a computer and they still never got them because they were clueless about if it was real or some scam.

by Anonymousreply 9312/21/2012

R94 could we get you a chardonnay or an Effexor?

by Anonymousreply 9512/21/2012

on the tv just now there was a commercial for.... paying off a stranger's layaway at kmart! and the celebrity spokesperson? miss sandra lee!

by Anonymousreply 9612/21/2012

can you imagine u paid off a loan for some guy that likes to gaybash gay men?

by Anonymousreply 9712/21/2012

[quote] Giving small,simple,inexpensive gifts doesn't mean you're romantic...it means you're CHEAP.

Merry Christmas....ya gold digging WHORE! xoxo

by Anonymousreply 9812/21/2012

This reminds me of the thread about the guy buying shoes for a child whose mother couldn't afford them, and seemed to want a gold medal for his efforts in embarrassing a woman.

Paying off someone's bill does sound strange. You could be paying off the bill of some asshole who has plenty of money but still uses layaway.

by Anonymousreply 9912/21/2012

R95 women get depressed when faced with reality.men deal with it

by Anonymousreply 10012/21/2012

When two people "don't really need anything special," it's fun to go together to a toy store, play with the toys, notice what they have that didn't exist when you were a kid, and then buy a bunch of toys. Take them to the nearest Toys For Tots place for the Marines to give to children.

You'll have a fantastic feeling on Christmas morning as you think of the happiness you've given some poor kids. That wonderful feeling lasts all day. Been there!

by Anonymousreply 10112/21/2012

What is a k mart layaway?

by Anonymousreply 10212/21/2012

Too bad R60 is already partnered. I'd marry him!

by Anonymousreply 10312/21/2012

I got him a Bose Wave radio.

by Anonymousreply 10412/21/2012

It does my heart some good to read about the posters paying off lay-aways and being Christmas Angels for families in need.

I was the recipient of a gift basket of food when I was desperately poor (due to illness, unemployment and pride). I have never forgotten the gesture, and now that I am back on my feet (this was over a decade ago), I bring food to our food bank.

by Anonymousreply 10512/21/2012

Ive just completed my 2013 list. Cant wait to star shopping and put up the tree.

by Anonymousreply 10602/16/2013

[quote] Cant wait to star shopping and put up the tree.

You are already starring!

by Anonymousreply 10702/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.