Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Richard Engle kidnapped

Damn, he and his crew escaped after being held for five days.

Since the search still doesn't work half the time, this may already be posted.

by Anonymousreply 5802/16/2013

Search works just fine OP. But it helps if you spell Engel's name right in addition to knowing how to use it.

by Anonymousreply 112/18/2012

The search function works perfectly fine now - especially since google-based.

by Anonymousreply 212/18/2012

NPR said they escaped in a hail of gunfire.

by Anonymousreply 312/18/2012

Engel and his team went missing after crossing into Syria from Turkey last week, and there had been no communication with the network – neither requesting ransom nor laying claim for the kidnapping – while the team was in captivity.

After entering Syria, Engel and his team were abducted, tossed into the back of a truck and blindfolded before being transported to an unknown location believed to be near the small town of Ma’arrat Misrin. During their captivity, they were blindfolded and bound, but otherwise not physically harmed, the network said.

Early Monday evening local time, the prisoners were being moved to a new location in a vehicle when their captors ran into a checkpoint manned by members of the Ahrar al-Sham brigade, a Syrian rebel group. There was a confrontation and a firefight ensued. Two of the captors were killed, while an unknown number of others escaped, the network said.

Engel and his team have since re-entered Turkey and say they were unharmed in the incident, NBC reports.

by Anonymousreply 412/18/2012

Not like the good old days when sons and daughter of wealthy oil people, liquor or singing stars were kidnapped and pieces of them were sent back with the ransom note.

One heiress was buried underground for several days.

by Anonymousreply 512/18/2012

The search works very well IF IF IF IF IF the search box opens - but it doesn't open half the time.

by Anonymousreply 712/18/2012

Appearing on the “Today” show Tuesday morning, Engel, 39, said his captors were part of a government militia known as Shabiha, which is loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. Engel described the kidnappers as Shiite Muslims, trained by Iran’s Revolutionary Guard and allied with Hezbollah.

The kidnappers told the journalists they wanted to exchange them for four Iranian agents and two Lebanese Shabiha members who had been captured by the rebels, Engel said. That plan was thwarted when the kidnappers unwittingly drove into a rebel checkpoint while trying to move the captives to a new location. In the ensuing gunfight, two of the group’s captors were killed.

by Anonymousreply 812/18/2012

I hope this convinces him to retire, but he's probably a hopeless adrenaline junkie fuelled by danger.

by Anonymousreply 912/18/2012

he escaped

can't for the life of me figure out why this group kidnapped a reporter....its not like any government would have considered an exchange of rebels for this guy

by Anonymousreply 1012/18/2012

Oh please, R7. The thread was on the first couple of pages. Too busy to scroll a little?

by Anonymousreply 1112/18/2012

Am I the only one to suspects this whole Engel ordeal was blown out of proportion and the handling of this "saga" a PR ploy?

by Anonymousreply 1212/18/2012

Don't blame rebels. If I could I would kidnap him too and make my sex slave.

by Anonymousreply 1312/18/2012

The gunmen executed one of the rebels “on the spot,” Engel said. They took the NBC crew to a series of safe houses and interrogation places near the town of Ma’arrat Misrin, keeping them blindfolded and tied up.

Engel, Balkiz and Kooistra, who appeared together on “Today,” said they were not hurt physically but were subjected to “psychological torture,” including threats that one or all of them would be killed.

“They made us choose which one of us would be shot first, and when we refused, there were mock shootings. They pretended to shoot Ghazi several times,” Engel said, referring to Balkiz. “When you’re blindfolded and then they fire the gun up in the air, it can be a very traumatic experience.”

by Anonymousreply 1412/18/2012

NEWSFLASH: Richard Engle has just been released from his captives!!

by Anonymousreply 1512/18/2012

That deserves a new thread, r15!

Please start the 5th devoted to this topic.

by Anonymousreply 1612/18/2012

News outlets kept silent though they knew about this kidnapping.

NBC did not confirm the kidnapping publicly nor make any statement about it.

Other major news outlets, including The Washington Post, also refrained from reporting that the crew had been kidnapped.

News organizations often fall silent when their personnel are taken captive, because they believe the journalists are more likely to be released if their disappearance does not draw media attention.

by Anonymousreply 1712/18/2012

[quote]do you think they were shooting out the ceilings of the safe houses as they raised their guns to the sky?

You're right R18. No doubt they would have had consideration for the ceiling. They obviously didn't want to have to patch the holes and repaint it, otherwise, the landlord would have withheld their deposit when they vacated.

by Anonymousreply 1912/18/2012

I wouldn't mind holding him captive for a few days if you know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 2012/18/2012

Several journalists have been killed covering the conflict. Among them are award-winning French TV reporter Gilles Jacquier, photographer Remi Ochlik and Britain's Sunday Times correspondent Marie Colvin.

Engel joined NBC in 2003 and was named chief foreign correspondent in April 2008. He previously worked as a freelance journalist for ABC News, including during the U.S. invasion of Iraq.

He has lived in the Middle East since he graduated from Stanford University in 1996, according to his biography from NBC. He speaks and reads fluent Arabic.

by Anonymousreply 2112/18/2012

R10, they wouldn't and that's why they didn't. This whole thing is concocted PR story. We're starting to sink to the lowest of lows in journalism. Someone's been watching a little too much Homeland. Can't wait until this whole PR plot gets exposed. That'll be the real story here.

by Anonymousreply 2212/18/2012

Richard is an obvious nelly homosexual and was no doubt enjoying a good corn-holing by some hot 10-inch Arab sizemeat during her 'capture'!

by Anonymousreply 2312/18/2012

I believe he was kidnapped, but what I don't believe is that he was kidnapped by those loyal to the Syrian govt.

They could've just been saying that to curry favor with the western media by having the opposition look better. They'd anticipate the media reporting how "Assad's now kidnapping western journalists and psychologically-torturing them!"

by Anonymousreply 2412/18/2012

He's the new Brody. He's been turned.

by Anonymousreply 2512/18/2012

LOL, r19.

by Anonymousreply 2612/18/2012

It's obvious that he arranged the kidnapping just for ratings. I wonder if a stunt like this could result in a contract extension for my talk show.

by Anonymousreply 2712/18/2012

Funny, R25

by Anonymousreply 2812/18/2012

I won't hear a word said against Richard Engle, my future boy friend.

by Anonymousreply 2912/18/2012

He's gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 3012/18/2012

I'm glad we can all joke about it in retrospect. He's very lucky.

by Anonymousreply 3112/18/2012

I smell a book and movie in the works....

by Anonymousreply 3212/18/2012

I wonder if his 'captors' realized the value of what they had ? No, not a well known network journalist. I short, hunky piece of masculinity, with a thick 8-inch cock to play with. Hope they took advantage while they could.

by Anonymousreply 3312/18/2012

8 inch cock? in your dreams, he's 6 inches at best.

by Anonymousreply 3412/18/2012

Excuse me ??? 10 inches

by Anonymousreply 3512/18/2012

how can the man be kidnapped in Turkey for 5 days and his skin and hair still look perfect??

by Anonymousreply 3612/18/2012

Who are the fucking morons squealing "PR stunt" around here?

This isn't Angelina Jolie, it's Richard fucking Engel. He's been risking his life for YOUR news every day for years. Are you so fucking stupid that you haven't noticed all the journalists who have been murdered in the Middle East while they cover this shit?

You must be a freeper or an unreasonable facsimile of one. Shut the fuck up or die in a grease fire - your choice.

by Anonymousreply 3712/18/2012

We want more Richard Engle hotness.

by Anonymousreply 3912/18/2012

Angie is the queen of PR stunts, R38. If she'd leave me alone, I'd be more than happy to leave her alone.

by Anonymousreply 4012/18/2012

Exactly, R9. It's a certain type of person who takes on this kind of work. They need excitement in life. It's too bad his life was in danger and I'm sure it was an ordeal for him, but the reality is you don't go into enemy territories and "risk your life so everyone can get their news" unless you enjoy the gamble and living on the edge.

by Anonymousreply 4112/18/2012

R40/et al, what Engle does and what Jolie does are not publicity stunts. That's how they have chosen to use their time. They are clearly not complacent couch potatoes glued to their TVs and computers. Jolie has been slogging away in some awful places for the UN for over a dozen years now and it's sexist and condescending to denigrate her work. We've covered this ground before - if you doubt her work then go check out some facts before you type your silly little fingers off.

I have always been in awe of foreign journalists especially war journalists. They are simply courageous in my eyes and greatly underappreciated by undereducated Americans.

by Anonymousreply 4212/18/2012

bill engle is 4 feet tall

by Anonymousreply 4312/19/2012

It's not that Richard Engel has a "need" for excitement in his life. He's a good journalist who is interested in delivering the news. Not all of it is exciting, but whatever he's reporting, you can be sure it's exacting.

by Anonymousreply 4412/19/2012

Ms. Engle loves a good uncut Arab cock in his saucy hole

by Anonymousreply 4512/19/2012

Arab - and all Muslim - sizemeat is ALWAYS circumcised, stupid Mary r45!

by Anonymousreply 4612/19/2012

The guy is hot!

by Anonymousreply 4712/19/2012

I like the idea of him with Ayman Mohyeldin:

by Anonymousreply 4812/19/2012

Richard Engle will be interviewed by Brian Williams on NBC later tonight.

by Anonymousreply 4912/20/2012

Ooh, MPC called someone out! Never seen her lose her temper before. But she has a point; who doesn't know that all Muslims are circumcised?

by Anonymousreply 5012/20/2012

Richard explains what happened to Rachel Maddow

by Anonymousreply 5112/22/2012

Something happened to Rachel Maddow? Is she alright?

by Anonymousreply 5212/22/2012

From what he explained to Maddow, he and his crew went through hell. Thank God they're ok. I'd love to snuggle and comfort Engle myself.

by Anonymousreply 5312/22/2012

Is Engle back on the field?

by Anonymousreply 5401/25/2013

Engle is now covering the Vatican, a most dangerous field.

by Anonymousreply 5502/14/2013

Was he raped?

by Anonymousreply 5602/14/2013

[quote]Engle is now covering the Vatican

He speaks fluent Italian so that's a natural for him. That's why they brought him to Italy for the winter Olympics a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 5702/15/2013

Plus, as a Catholic, Engle has experienced firsthand what it means to be at the mercy of the Church. You think his Syrian kidnapping was the first time he was ever abused by tormenters? Far from it - it all began back when he was an altar boy... even at that early age, he had a pretty face and a sweeter ass.

by Anonymousreply 5802/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!