Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why are people donating to Newtown victim's families?

These people are rich.

by Anonymousreply 1312/30/2012

I agree OP. maybe if people want to donate, they can give to the Red Cross

by Anonymousreply 112/17/2012

Or better yet, the Salvation Army.

by Anonymousreply 212/17/2012

The Red Cross has been in Newtown the last couple of days or so giving out 900 (or was it 9000) blankets.

They said it's as a source of comfort.

Sounds absurd and a waste of money.

by Anonymousreply 312/17/2012

Funeral costs? A desire to be a part of this mess in a positive way?

by Anonymousreply 412/17/2012

I was thinking the same thing today. Why do we automatically want to throw money at something? You want to do something? Call your senator and congresssman and tell them to get behind an assault-weapons ban.

by Anonymousreply 512/17/2012

Giving money is a way of showing them that they are being thought of. I feel they should start a fund, not for the killed, but for the surviving children who witnessed the horrific acts. These kids will be messed up for a long time and years from now, they will continue to need therapy. Maybe their parents won't have to money to continue to get them help so a fund could be established. Also, maybe the money can be used to add to the library or a park in the town that honors the victims.

by Anonymousreply 612/17/2012

I think people are giving money to their charities, not to them.

by Anonymousreply 712/17/2012

R5 has the best solution of all.

Seriously, people, I hope you will all write your Congressmen and Senator and the hideous Rethuglican leadership and encourage anybody you know in the doofus states to have a rethink. The only way they will act is sustained public pressure once they think it's safe.

by Anonymousreply 812/17/2012

R5 is right. My bf is going to write all 31 pro-gun congressmen who wouldn't go on air to talk about this, telling them all they're chickenshit. Make your voice heard.

by Anonymousreply 1012/18/2012

R9: At any point when you're typing, does it ever cross your mind that what you're typing is so incredibly dumb that you're thankful this is an anonymous board?

So genuinely embarrassed for you.

by Anonymousreply 1112/18/2012

Ummmm these guns didn't fire themselves. The problem with the eliminate guns theory is that the people who commit these crimes don't have the guns legally. If guns were illegal they would either get them illegally and still commit the crime or they would do it using a different weapon. If someone used a knife to kill a bunch of would we then ban knives (including your home cutlery). If he used a baseball bat well we would have to do away with little league baseball because bats are dangerous. The other issue with doing away with guns is that now people who legally would have a gun can no longer protect themselves from someone who has one illegally.

by Anonymousreply 1212/30/2012

[quote]The Red Cross has been in Newtown the last couple of days or so giving out 900 (or was it 9000) blankets.

What do they need blankets for? These people didn't lose their homes or belongings. Are the mourners walking around covered in blankets?

by Anonymousreply 1312/30/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!