Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why I Won't Wear A Green Ribbon In Support of Ending School Violence By Deidre Hall.

I believe that television show appearances are not a forum for expressing personal religious, social or political views. However, I have not objected when fellow performers have worn green ribbon to express their support for safer schools; that’s their choice. My choice is NOT to wear a ribbon.

Soap Opera Digest readers should know wearing a green ribbon is no longer entirely voluntary. Those who began by offering ribbons to performers now resort to extreme tactics in pursuit of their express goal of 100 percent conformity. When performers arrive at an award show, individuals who attempt to pin ribbons on them accost them. A performer who declines may be accosted at the pre show reception, again while waiting backstage and again at the press conference after the show.

Offering these ribbons to celebrities was, in my view, a benign and pro-social act. On the other hand, aggressively badgering performers to compel the wearing of ribbons is no only demeaning to victims of school shooting and to the desperate need for an all-out solution to school violence, but an offense against personal freedom.

By attempting to force 100 percent conformity, these activists are no attempting to make the green ribbon a visible litmus test for separating those individuals who empathize with school violence victims and supporting mental health research from those who do not. This is a misguided and dangerous notion.

First, it misguidedly politicizes human tragedy. These green ribbons provide a means by which public figures can appear to make a ‘politically correct’ statement in favor of a cause they do not support.

Second, any attempt to force conformity to a single social agenda attacks the freedom of expression. The extreme activities that resort to harassment to compel actors and actresses to wear these ribbons are practicing a ‘90s brand of McCarthyism – and their behavior is deplorable. Our community was devastated by political extremists in the 1950s and again became a target during the last presidential campaign. It surpasses belief that men and women in the entertainment field would resort to shameful practices that the enemies of artistic freedom have used against us.

Sadly, it falls to some of us who ardently support school violence victims and mental health research to resist these tactics by personal example. Believe me, the easy way out would be to pin the ribbon on and keep silent. But I won’t, because I don’t want these appalling tactics to succeed.

by Anonymousreply 4105/26/2014

by Anonymousreply 112/17/2012

Enough. She said that about a pink ribbon for breast cancer.

You are a

by Anonymousreply 212/17/2012

R2 she said that about the red ribbon for AIDS as well.

by Anonymousreply 312/17/2012

She is right though. Vote for the right people, go to a rally, try get some laws passed. A ribbon does nothing. Who ISN'T against ending school violence? It's not like when supporting AIDS charities was a risky thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 412/17/2012

Inappropriate ribbons smack of militancy, not grief.

-Deidre Hall

by Anonymousreply 512/18/2012

She's a cunt, just as we suspected all along.

by Anonymousreply 612/18/2012

Guys, she wrote this article originally back in like the 80s! I do understand her point though - ribbons do nothing.

by Anonymousreply 712/18/2012

Green ribbons are trivializing this tragedy. Donate to gun control organizations in the United States, or donate money to the families of those children who were killed. Take off those ribbons which are of absolutely no help for anybody.

by Anonymousreply 812/19/2012

This is a really important message and I wish more people would read Deidre's article.

by Anonymousreply 901/16/2013

Oh right, she's a cunt. I keep forgetting that because I forget her existence entirely until I'm reminded of her cuntiness.

by Anonymousreply 1001/16/2013

Last night was a SEA of green ribbons at the State of the Union

by Anonymousreply 1102/13/2013

Are you Deirdre Hall, r11?

by Anonymousreply 1202/13/2013

Who's her Girlfriend these days?

by Anonymousreply 1302/13/2013

I'd refuse to wear them as well. I'm a gay guy and I've never wore a red AIDS ribbon either.

Good for others if they want to jump on a bandwagon and wear silly ribbons and rubber bracelets which mean absolutely nothing. I'm for peace on Earth and an end to hunger and pedophilia as well, but there are no ribbons for those nor would I wear them.

Live what you believe. Wearing trendy things to represent your weak beliefs only cheapens the cause you supposedly care for.

by Anonymousreply 1402/13/2013

She could have just said "Hi, I'm a chainsmoking old cunt" and this would have been much, much shorter.

by Anonymousreply 1502/13/2013

You people would make good Nazis. When I was young, and individualism was so highly valued, I would have never imagined that America would become a place where it would be tolerated for people to bully others into conformity, actively try to stamp out dissent.

by Anonymousreply 1602/13/2013

I have no idea who Deirdre Hall is. Something tells me she is someone who has very little, if any, real significance. Right?

by Anonymousreply 1702/13/2013

She's the "Kramer" of Soaps.

by Anonymousreply 1802/13/2013

You ladies just aren't....[italic] GETTING [/italic] it.

by Anonymousreply 1902/13/2013

She's a fancy TV soap opera diva-closeted lesbian, r17.

by Anonymousreply 2002/13/2013

R20 could you use NSFW next time?

by Anonymousreply 2102/13/2013

I was raped on the red carpet for refusing a green ribbon because it clashed with my magenta Korean wig!

I'm just glad I was drunk and remembered nothing until I saw photos the next day.

And then I'd forgotten again by that night.

by Anonymousreply 2202/13/2013

A soup actress? Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 2302/13/2013

She was kinda hot...

by Anonymousreply 2402/13/2013

I love this ongoing joke.

by Anonymousreply 2502/13/2013

Deidre Hall

Dr. Marlena Evans Black

by Anonymousreply 2602/13/2013

Before she lost her star billing it was

Days of our Lives

Deidre Hall

Dr. Marlena Evans Black

by Anonymousreply 2702/13/2013

And now she's sandwiched in the credits between "Cop #2" and "Victor's Lawyer." I love it! I LOVE IT!

by Anonymousreply 2802/13/2013

Very important mesasge. Please read and pass along...forward it to friends and families.

by Anonymousreply 2902/18/2013

Pretty sure I could do both... wear a ribbon AND participate in actions that support my stance against gun violence.

by Anonymousreply 3004/08/2013

Who is Natasha K ?

by Anonymousreply 3104/10/2013

There is a way to link Green Ribbons to a purpose with action. Take photos of those green ribbons and post them the Facebook page (GREEN RIBBONS FOR GUN CONTROL) and label them with just a zipcode. With the zip code the photos are sent the Congress members of that district, then this transacation is tweeted on @tieGreenRibbons.

Green Ribbons demonstrate VISIBLE support and the extra measure of posting w Zip also creates political pressure.

Small acts by a multitude are POWERFUL.

by Anonymousreply 3204/17/2013

Who is Lisa?

by Anonymousreply 3305/26/2014

Dee Hall's just out for one person, baby: and that's Dee Hall!

And that's me, remember?

by Anonymousreply 3405/26/2014

Someone tried to put a green ribbon on Diedre and she shot them, gave them aids and breast cancer.

by Anonymousreply 3505/26/2014

R14, I have proudly worn red ribbons. I have also worked tirelessly for several causes around AIDS. The problem is not showing ones support but feeling pushed to do it. When Whoopi rebelled she stated it was because so many causes started pressuring her to wear their ribbons. There is nothing wrong with ribbons but I agree that wearing a ribbon should not replace actual deeds.

by Anonymousreply 3605/26/2014

The person who does this is truly the most retarded person ever.

by Anonymousreply 3705/26/2014

30 years ago, it WAS important. AIDS was being ignored in the media. There was no internet (to speak of), Facebook, Twitter or other social media. The red ribbon was first and the first people wearing them were making a statement. The media could not ignore it and neither could America.

It was then appropriated by twenty other causes. The reason they did so was because it worked. And just like anything else that is repeated, it had diminishing returns. As early as 1995, it was parodied by Paul Rudnick in "Jeffrey".

Now, it's been done to death.

by Anonymousreply 3805/26/2014

R37 but look at the response this thread is getting?

by Anonymousreply 3905/26/2014

Wear a Smily Face instead.

by Anonymousreply 4005/26/2014

OP, a suggested title for your next thread:

Why I Refuse to Give a Shit About Whoever the Fuck Deidre Hall Is and What Fucking Color Ribbon She Won't Wear This Week.

by Anonymousreply 4105/26/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!