Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Matt Damon explains why he never quashed rumours of Ben Affleck relationship "Didn't want to offend my gay friends"

Their bromance is legendary - but it's nothing more than that.

Actors and best friends Ben Affleck, 40, and Matt Damon, 42, grew up together as kids and have risen to stardom together since the release of their first film Good Will Hunting in 1997.

And after years of avoiding rumours, Damon revealed in a Playboy interview this week why he chose to keep mum on the topic.

'I never denied those rumours because I was offended and didn’t want to offend my friends who were gay - as if being gay were some kind of f**ing disease,' Damon said. 'It put me in a weird position in that sense. The whole thing was just gross.'

The pair, who wrote and starred in the Oscar-winning 1997 drama Good Will Hunting, have ever since been avoiding rumours that the two are secret gay lovers.

The two have been best friends since childhood, living several blocks away from eachother and attending the same schools, though in different grades in the small town Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Affleck famously poked fun at the rumours of his sexuality in 2008 when he starred in a video with late night television host Jimmy Kimmel called 'I'm F***ing Ben Affleck.' In the comedy spoof, the Argo star and the funny man frolic around in tight clothes - and even shirtless - as they sing about making love to each other.

In the Playboy interview, Damon said he's proud of the progress that has been made in recent years by the gay community.'But look, there have been great signs of progress -- the fact that Anderson Cooper and Ellen DeGeneres can come out so beautifully and powerfully, and it’s a big f***ing deal that it turns out nobody gives a shit.'

In the interview, the actor also discusses his love scenes in the upcoming Liberace biopic staring Michael Douglas. 'Michael was a wonderful kisser,' he laughed. 'My concerns ended up mattering a lot less once we were filming. The dynamic between the men was complex and interesting.'

'If Liberace were alive today, everybody would love his music and nobody would care what he did in his private life.'

Damon plays the Ave Maria singer's much younger lover Scott Thorson and talked about how the two chose to portray their characters as true to life as possible.

'We both have a lot of gay friends, and we were not going to screw this up,' Damon said. 'It wasn’t the most natural thing in the world to do, though. Like, for one scene, I had to come out of a pool, go over to Michael, straddle him on a chaise lounge and start kissing him. 'And throughout the script, it’s not like I kiss him just once. We drew it up like a football plan.'

The Bourne Identity actor also opened up about his numerous nudity scenes in the upcoming film. 'Normally I’d say no to nudity, but I just did a lot of it playing the long-term partner of Liberace,' Damon says in a new interview with Playboy magazine. 'I mean, it’s tastefully done. But this movie’s not going to be for everyone.'

In reality, Damon has been happily married to Luciana for seven years, although he admits in the interview that he isn't too talented at romance.

'I wish I were better because my wife deserves somebody who surprises her with a gift or flowers or some wonderful idea. I’ve never been good at that, and she’s really good at it, which makes me feel even more like s***. 'This is the first relationship I’ve had that wasn’t like work to be in. I never knew it could be like this,' he adds about the success of his relationship.

The HBO film, which will air next year, is based on Thorson's autobiographical book Behind the Candelabra: My Life With Liberace.

by Anonymousreply 5406/12/2014

Kind of a silly reason given that a man and a woman who are "just friends" would never resist quashing rumors of a romance for fear of offending straight people.

by Anonymousreply 212/17/2012

I think he meant he wanted to be careful about responding because he didn't want to make it seem like being rumored to be gay is somehow a bad thing.

Lots of actors disgusting do that, get really offended over rumors they are gay which inherently implies there is something bad about being gay. (Looking at you most recently Jeremy Renner)

by Anonymousreply 312/17/2012

I don't think he meant the possibility of him being gay was gross, but the whole situation.

by Anonymousreply 412/17/2012

[quote]The pair, who wrote and starred in the Oscar-winning 1997 drama Good Will Hunting, have ever since been avoiding rumours that the two are secret gay lovers.

Other than the occasional moron on Datalounge, the public by and large has always accepted that these were two heterosexual men. There was no need to quash rumors for something that very few people imagined.

by Anonymousreply 512/17/2012

[quote] I think he meant he wanted to be careful about responding because he didn't want to make it seem like being rumored to be gay is somehow a bad thing.

That's what he meant, and George Clooney has said the same thing. Clooney said long after he's dead people will still be saying he was gay, and he doesn't give a shit, there's nothing wrong with it. Janeane Garofalo has also said she takes being mistaken for a lesbian as a compliment. They set the standard for how celebs should respond to gay rumors if they really want to prove they see nothing wrong with being gay.

by Anonymousreply 712/17/2012

[quote]Clooney said long after he's dead people will still be saying he was gay, and he doesn't give a shit, there's nothing wrong with it.

If Clooney's so accepting why doesn't he just come out already instead of constantly parading his beards before the world's press?

He's alive and gay but he won't stop lying about it UNTIL he's dead.

by Anonymousreply 812/17/2012

Methinks she doth protest too much.

by Anonymousreply 912/17/2012

He's alive and maybe gay r8, and maybe Matt's gay too, maybe. Meanwhile Jodie Foster is definitely gay but refuses to ever say it. I think we can only demand people come out if it's an obvious glass closet situation.

by Anonymousreply 1012/17/2012

So, R10, you're saying Jodie should pretend to have boyfriends to make everything kosher?

by Anonymousreply 1112/17/2012

What, if anything, does this have to do with the Damon butt?

by Anonymousreply 1212/17/2012

[quote]'If Liberace were alive today, everybody would love his music

[quote]some low-tent skank like Ben Affleck

I don't know ... Ben always makes me pitch a rather high tent.

by Anonymousreply 1312/17/2012

I love Matt more and more with every interview. He was saying it was gross to think about being sexual with his best friend, kind of like how you would say the same with your best friend or girlfriend. I say that all the time -- ewww, gross

by Anonymousreply 1412/17/2012

I remember seeing Matt Damon on a TV program allude to the fact that he was Ben Affleck's main squeeze, or lover or some such reference. It was during the time that Ben Affleck was having sex with Jennifer Lopez, and the press was calling them "Bennifer", so I knew that Affleck was bisexual, but I thought Damon was homosexual, and openly so, or out of the closet, because that certainly seemed to be the case. Maybe he was making a hateful joke out of homosexual or bisexual orientation the same way as OP reports that Affleck and Kimmel did. I don't understand why it is funny to ridicule someone who happens to be of a different sexual orientation or preference. But the truth is that the reason that I have been thinking that Affleck and Damon have a sexual relationship is that I heard Damon say that on television.

by Anonymousreply 1612/18/2012

God, why have sex with Ben Affleck when you can just go hang out with him and play air hockey and have silly string fights?

Damon's got it made.

by Anonymousreply 1712/18/2012

I agree with Matt - sex with Ben Affleck would be gross.

by Anonymousreply 1812/18/2012

I believe Lainey at one of her smut festivals where she reveals answers to blind items she has posted, alluded to the fact that Damon, isn't only into the opposite sex.

by Anonymousreply 1912/18/2012

So has the Damon butt been plucked?

by Anonymousreply 2012/18/2012

Because Ben is HOT and Matt is not. Matt has gotten a tiny bit better looking as he aged, but when they were young, Ben was miles and I mean many kilometers ahead of Matt in the looks department. And that's all that matters to 'mos.

by Anonymousreply 2112/19/2012

They're lying. Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are bisexual or even gay and it's one of the worst kept secrets.

by Anonymousreply 2212/19/2012

Apparently, Ben is a possible candidate for Senator of Mass.

He did just today announce he is pulling out of some movie with Kristen Stewart

by Anonymousreply 2312/19/2012

[quote] it’s not like I kiss him just once. We drew it up like a football plan

Good one, Matt, football always butches things up!

by Anonymousreply 2412/19/2012

Both of them have dingle berries.

by Anonymousreply 2502/09/2013

The whole interview pings.

by Anonymousreply 2602/09/2013

How do you know that, R25?

by Anonymousreply 2702/09/2013

Who is Jamie Jones?

by Anonymousreply 3003/22/2013

The lady doth protest too much...

by Anonymousreply 3211/18/2013

Who are Matt's gay friends?

by Anonymousreply 3311/18/2013

Who is Jamie Jones?

by Anonymousreply 3411/19/2013

I'm starting to see Matt and Ben as a couple of aging hipster poseur douchebags.

by Anonymousreply 3511/19/2013

[quote]'I never denied those rumours because I was offended and didn’t want to offend my friends who were gay - as if being gay were some kind of f**ing disease,' Damon said. 'It put me in a weird position in that sense. The whole thing was just gross.'

Hmmm... I'm not sure if this is nice or not.

by Anonymousreply 3611/19/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 3711/19/2013

His choice of the word "gross" pretty much negated everything he said leading up to that. There are so many other words he could've chosen that would've worked and wouldn't have been offensive.

by Anonymousreply 3811/19/2013

He recently said he'd eat his shoe if any member of the Bush family had gone to public school while defending his decision to send his daughters to private school (according to him they were the closest he could find to the public school he attended in Cambridge, Massachusetts). It was quickly shown that several members of the Bush clan had gone to public school, at least for a while, including George W.

by Anonymousreply 3911/19/2013

I can't imagine any straight guy not finding the idea of sex with one of his straight friends as being gross.

I'm a gay male who's also a strong supporter of women, and the idea of having sex with any woman, straight or gay is beyond gross to me. I don't think of women as being gross, but I do think of my engaging in the sex act with women as being gross. It would be so wrong on so many levels for me.

It's one thing to joke about such acts, but that's because of how far fetched from reality any possible encounter with a woman would be for me.

I like both Ben and Matt. They're not perfect, but they are guys I find attractive and likable. I don't understand the stupid hateful comments within some of the above posts. I guess the crazy gene isn't orientation specific.

by Anonymousreply 4011/19/2013

R40, yeah, I have no idea whether those two have ever done it but I can't even imagine having sex with most of my friends, whether thay are male or female. From equality point of view I understand that him saying it'd be gross to have sex with a man might be seen as homophobic, but in reality Ben's his childhood friend and I can absolutely understand him saying that. I'm gay (and male) and the thought of having sex with my childbood best mate is just, well, gross. I've never in any way wanted him, but I really used to love him as a friend.

I wouldn't read anything else than his own opinion about having sex with Affleck from that statement.

by Anonymousreply 4111/19/2013

Matt is bi. Apparently Lainey (of Lainey Gossip) revealed that Matt Damon was the subject of her blind item "Cuba and Chocolate" at one of her S.M.U.T. Soirees a few years ago.

Lainey is annoying as hell but her blinds are deadly accurate.

by Anonymousreply 4211/20/2013

Any idea who's the subject of the second BI ("Chocolate"), R42?

by Anonymousreply 4311/20/2013

Yeah r40 got it right, people are reading way too much into the "gross" comment, and ignoring how much better Damon handled gay rumors than most celebs. It mirrored exactly what George Clooney said, they have gay friends and don't want to offend them by acting like being rumored to be gay is a big deal. Since "gross" in this context can be read as homophobic, he should've chosen another word, but no one is perfect. He's so much better than most though.

by Anonymousreply 4411/20/2013

George Clooney, R43

by Anonymousreply 4511/20/2013

Thanks, R45.

by Anonymousreply 4611/20/2013

Is that why he married a beard? Damon that is.

by Anonymousreply 4711/20/2013

Damon that is, black gold, Texas tea.

by Anonymousreply 4811/20/2013

R37 I much prefer Bourne to Bond. Bond is old and dated and far-fetched and generally embarressing. For some inexplicable reason Bond is having some sort of a revival especially in the UK.

I remember when the last Bond movie was released and around the same time Taken 2 was released. I wanted to go to the cinema to see Taken 2 and it was only on one screen, showing twice a day and really awkward unsuitable times, whereas Bond was shown on several screens almost every hour.

by Anonymousreply 4911/20/2013

I really don't understand why anyone would imply that Damon has a beard. He has been married to here for seven years and has four children. That very much appears to be a genuine relationship.

Didn't Damon make unkind comments about Minnie Driver several years ago?

by Anonymousreply 5011/20/2013

R49 Go back to your fangurl boards.

by Anonymousreply 5111/20/2013

John Travolta has been married for many years and has 3 children. That doesn't mean anything.

Don't forgetr that Jeremy Renner had to impregnate a woman in orden to be the new Bourne.

by Anonymousreply 5211/20/2013

Matt Damon is very straight actually.

by Anonymousreply 5306/10/2014

"Very straight" R53? Sorry, Ben, but you weren't the only man he was ever with.

by Anonymousreply 5406/12/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!