Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

No early reviews for The Guilt Trip?

Not looking good...

by LIKreply 4612/28/2012

I agree, not up on Rotten Tomatoes two days away from opening. Cannot recall ever seeing that. Seems like the studio knows something and is trying to milk Streisand's return before the reviews take over.

by LIKreply 112/17/2012

by LIKreply 212/17/2012

Awful review in the Hollywood Reporter, sort of people-who-like-this-sort-of-thing-will-like-it review in Variety.

by LIKreply 312/17/2012

Variety review at the link:

by LIKreply 412/17/2012

Hollywood Reporter review at link:

"The Guilt Trip provides heavy competition with director Anne Fletcher's previous films (Step Up, 27 Dresses, The Proposal) as to which is the most formulaic and conventional, but this one takes the cake for being the most visually unimaginative and clunky. Worse, even the most easy-to-please audiences will struggle to find more than a half-dozen laughs here, so bereft is the film of fresh comic ideas.

Rogen -- who for some reason sports about a one-day's grizzle of beard throughout -- drastically underplays, probably realizing that, with Streisand emoting so broadly, it was the only way to go. For her part, some combination of cosmetic expertise, cinematic enhancement and natural endowment makes Streisand look more like she's in her 50s than in her 70s, which is the actuality. Those who’ve always liked the singer-actress probably won’t mind her here; for the nonfan, this is not the film that will change your mind."

by LIKreply 512/17/2012

"A timid, modestly pleasant time-passer distinguished mostly by its unexplored potential."

by LIKreply 612/17/2012

This movie wasn't supposed to be good from its inception.

by LIKreply 712/18/2012

But if Barbra can pass for 50s, then there will be no dispute about her being too old to play Madame Rose in the GYPSY remake!

by LIKreply 812/18/2012

by LIKreply 912/18/2012

God ... that Hollywood Reporter review is just a festival of anti-Semitism and misogyny.

Did they really need to travel all the way back to Ruth Gordon to trash a Jewish woman?

The movie may or may not be a big pile of stinkin' crap ... but this review is the kind BS used to get when she was a kid.

by LIKreply 1012/18/2012

Don't listen to the reviews. It's a really good film and will be a comedy classic.

by LIKreply 1112/18/2012

I know someone who saw it in a screening last year and liked it. I'm hoping.

by LIKreply 1212/18/2012

Guaranteed Oscar gold for Barbra!!!

by LIKreply 1312/18/2012

Oh my: no clear consensus yet, but still, only 20% so far on Does not look good.

by LIKreply 1412/18/2012

It was awful. I thought the script was weak and written by a third grader and the acting, well I would've walked out but my feet were stuck to the floor of the theatre.

Epic Fail

by LIKreply 1512/18/2012

They should have given Babs complete artistic control and this could have been avoided.

by LIKreply 1612/18/2012

The most shocking thing here is something reasonable from Streisand Superfan charlie at r1.

Unless, of course, that's not the real charlie at all, but a clever combination of traditional r1 snark and a send-up of charlie barbara craziness, in which case: kudos.

by LIKreply 1712/18/2012

BARBRA! I meant to type BARBRA!!!!!!

Don't kill me, charlie, please. No more violence.

by LIKreply 1812/18/2012

I haven't liked the comedies she's done in middle-age, even though I do think she's a very good comedic actress. She just needs better material. But I'm not going to judge her latest until I see it, on tv.

by LIKreply 1912/18/2012

The consensus so far is that it's poorly written, devoid of laughs and formulaic. Streisand & Rogen got better personal reviews, but there is a sense of real dissapointment that Streisand chose such a weak film for her "comeback".

by LIKreply 2012/18/2012

Bad reviews:

by LIKreply 2112/18/2012

"A timid, modestly pleasant time-passer distinguished mostly by its unexplored potential."

I hear ya, sistah.

by LIKreply 2212/18/2012

Unexplored potential: They should have cast Jason as her son. Her gay son, who takes Mom on a cross-country trip to find fabulous men for the both of them.

Hilarity ensues. As they leave New Jersey, driving down the turnpike, they sing "Together Wherever We Go," the first of several show tune duets that dot the film like diamonds.

by LIKreply 2312/18/2012

Why would Barbra come out of retirement for such a shitty script?

She is very talented, but has always had really bad taste.

EXHIBIT A: "Wardrobe from Miss Streisand's Closet"

by LIKreply 2412/18/2012

R23. I like it. Let's do lunch.

by LIKreply 2512/18/2012

There are a lot of reviews that liked it.

by LIKreply 2612/18/2012

[quote]She is very talented, but has always had really bad taste.

Correct. I don't know why anyone thought this would be any different.

by LIKreply 2712/18/2012

Time Magazine liked it - but points out it's not so much a ha-ha comedy, as a journey between mother & son growing together, emotionally. Don't go in expecting laughs.

by LIKreply 2812/18/2012

USA Today and the Seattle Times liked it too

by LIKreply 2912/18/2012

Well, I just looked at the arclight cinemas in hollywood, and it doesn't look like a single ticket has been sold for tomorrow. I'm so sad. It looks as if this could be a huge flop.

by LIKreply 3012/19/2012

The SF Examiner loved it - so did the Chron.

by LIKreply 3112/19/2012

You can tell this is an eldergay thread, because no one is providing links.

"The Saturday Evening Post loved it!"

by LIKreply 3212/19/2012

Chicago Sun-Times

“The Guilt Trip” turns out to be one of the year's more enjoyable surprises: a smart, engaging, sweet comedy with Streisand and Rogen shining in one of the better buddy movies in recent memory.

by LIKreply 3312/19/2012

Time liked it, too. Many of the reviewers are surprised how much they like it.

by LIKreply 3412/19/2012

No 32 just LAZY

by LIKreply 3512/19/2012

[quote] Mild-mannered dud.

by LIKreply 3612/19/2012

[quote]"The Saturday Evening Post loved it!"

Some of us are waiting for Look and Collier's to weigh in.

by LIKreply 3712/19/2012

Barbra looks great in the film. She really does look like she's in her 50s. She has great hair. He face looks fabulous. Get ready for Gypsy, boys. Baebra doesn't look 70 at all.

by LIKreply 3812/19/2012

Barbra needs to do a madcap comedy like "What's Up Doc" or "The Owl and the Pussycat," but age appropriate. She's a very good comedic actress. But since the 1970s she's often been so serious in film. But she's a hoot. It's good to see Barbra laugh in "The Guilt Trip" even if it's not up to the "What's Up Doc" standard.

by LIKreply 3912/19/2012

Did all of you fockers miss the fockers? This isn't a "comeback".

by LIKreply 4012/19/2012

You know what? Not high art, but it was entertaining. I wasn't expecting much more from fare such as this. It didn't disappoint.

by LIKreply 4112/23/2012

Only 5 million first week? Will Bette's movie do better?

Guess no Barbra's version of Gypsy...

by LIKreply 4212/24/2012

I just saw it. I liked it, it was fun.

by LIKreply 4312/27/2012

The first act finale to Barbra's recent concert tour was Rose's Turn/Some People/Don't Rain on My Parade. She was 'Rose' for the entire segment and it was thrilling. She would be dynamite in 'Gypsy'.

by LIKreply 4412/27/2012

I liked it too. The script was awful, but the mother/son chemistry between Rogen and Streisand worked well. No one's winning an Oscar for this, but it was sweet and funny.

by LIKreply 4512/27/2012

Saw it a couple nights ago. Unpretentious and mostly predictable, there were more than a few good laughs. Casting and acting were fine. Even characters with just a line or two were drawn with care. Weaknesses were the plot and the cinematography.

Seth Rogen was perfectly cast as an awkward, unattractive schlub.

by LIKreply 4612/28/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!