Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tonight is the series finale of GOSSIP GIRL. Does anyone still watch this series?

The identity of gossip girl to be revealed! Betcha her initials are K.B.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 3802/10/2013

Guess not.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 112/17/2012

I remember how good it was during its first season (2007-2008! Time flies.). The first 10 episodes or so were absolute perfection. Then the writers strike happened and the show never really recovered. And once they took them out of the high school setting it became just a dumb soap with dumb writing.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 212/17/2012

Agreed R2. That electric guitar background music drove me away too.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 312/17/2012

Another teen show that was destroyed when they left high school. One Tree Hill was the only show that actually made a smart choice, by just skipping over college completely.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 412/17/2012

I watched and loved the first two seasons, but as soon as I watched the Valley Girl episode I was over the whole thing. That episode really killed GG's momentum.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 512/17/2012

[quote]That electric guitar background music drove me away too.

Yes, and when did restaurants get so cold?

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 612/17/2012

I watch it and have seen every episode. I would LOVE it if Kristen Bell showed up to be the face of GG! Sadly, I doubt it; I suspect Dorota is the culprit.

Btw I really don't get the whole "background music" complaint. I remember several people here bitching about it on the "Melrose Place" reboot a couple of years ago, too. I've never even noticed it.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 712/17/2012

Conor Paolo returns as Eric - I bet either he or Taylor Momsen is GG. Conor in drag, of course...

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 812/17/2012

Eric and Little J have been gone for too long to realistically be GG. They had to write Eric off since he moved to Montauk and changed his name to Declan.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 912/17/2012

Who would you rather do? Chace Crawford, Ed Westwick Penn Badgely

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 1012/17/2012

Boy, that was anticlimactic. Glad it's over.

And R10 - I want to be the filling in a Chace/Ed sandwich - and there was a time when that was a nightly occurrence. Some people just send out for pizza...

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 1112/17/2012

Nu? So who was the Gossip Girl? Spoil it already!

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 1212/17/2012

Lonely Boy (aka Dan) was Gossip Girl. Um, yeah. So many plotholes...

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 1312/17/2012

How was Amanda Setton on the show? She was my student at one time--beautiful young woman and a fine actress when I knew her. I can't imagine the show stretched her acting muscles, but a girl's gotta eat.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 1412/18/2012

R14, didn't know Amanda was on the show, I never watched it. But do you know any stories around why Amanda is leaving The Mindy Project?

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 1512/18/2012

Loved Amanda on One Life to Live. Wish she'd come to Port Charles. On GG she played one of Blair's minions.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 1612/18/2012

[quote] But do you know any stories around why Amanda is leaving The Mindy Project?

Because Mindy is an ugly fattie who doesn't want pretty girls on the show.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 1712/18/2012

I love how Dan/GG acted SHOCKED when he got GG blasts when he was all by himself.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 1812/18/2012

I am still undecided whether I like the reveal or not. At least the show got the chance to make it to the (bitter) end and not get canceled prematurely like any ABC show.

Love the Kristen Bell and Rachel Bilson scene. Hilarious with whom Rufus ends up with. Eric looked hot with the scruffy unshaved look. Love that they had some cameos like Katy Cassidy and Jessica Szor reacting to the reveal.

I loved the show in its good times and bad times and again I am glad that it was able to end it on their terms.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 1912/19/2012

But GG existed long before Dan showed up.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 2012/19/2012

They "explained" that with a "prequel" scene r20.

I have to admit Blair looked amazing in her wedding dress. Especially nice since the costuming has been so god-awful for the past two years.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 2112/19/2012

I wonder if the actors are happy that they'll have more free time to pursue other ventures or if they're frightened that they've lost a steady gig and paycheck.

None of them have really made it as breakout stars. Not even Blake Lively for all the effort her PR team has given.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 2212/19/2012

R22, Blake has done a pretty fucking good job of breaking out thus far, if you keep in mind the fact that she could only do one film a year at most while the show was still filming. Getting the lead female role in an Oliver Stone film isn't exactly a cinch, and the fact that it didn't do well at the BO is largely irrelevant in the greater context. Certainly none of her co-stars have done much; Leighton did some crappy remake of "Single White Female" that went nowhere, and Penn had a minor role in "Easy A," but that's about it.

There's also the considerable fact that Blake is now married to Ryan Reynolds, and continues to be a celebrity spokesmodel for Gucci and Chanel.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 2312/19/2012

Who WAS that chick Rufus ended up with, R19?

And where was Dorota's hot husband the doorman?

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 2412/19/2012

Lisa Loeb, R19. One hit wonder from the 90's.

Dan as Gossip Girl makes no fucking sense within the framework of the series. When was Dan posting all of these GG blasts? Wasn't he around the rest of the gang when half of those went out?

There's pretty much a plot hole every episode if Dan is GG.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 2512/19/2012

And now there is a plot hole website.

[quote]I’m not even going to try to do the mental gymnastics necessary to figure out how this makes any sense tbh. Dan and Jenny, both supposedly behind Gossip Girl, privately arguing with each other about something on Gossip Girl. Seriously. My brain might explode and this show is not worth that.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 2612/19/2012

I've never seen Rachel Bilson in anything before, and I was truly shocked at what an awful actress she was in just that one scene.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 2712/19/2012

R25, the writers planned for Dan to be GG from day one. Also, you may have missed the part that Jenny was in on it from nearly the beginning, so she undoubtedly filled some holes in plot-wise. Finally, you can set up any sort of Web site update or text blast to go out on a time-delayed fashion, so Dan could've always pre-programmed GG alerts before he went out for a night.

Other things in the finale you may have missed: Georgina ended up with Jack Bass (and the writers had wanted to do a whole story arc around it, but couldn't work it around the schedule of the actor playing Jack since he's now a regular on another show); Ivy wrote a bestselling autobiography called "Ivy League" (about her swindling the billionaire van der Woodsen clan) which was turned into a Broadway play starring Lola and whatever character Hilary Duff played a few seasons ago; and Jenny, presumably after graduating from Central St Martins, ended up working for Blair, hence the "J by Waldorf" shopping bag she was carrying.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 2812/19/2012

Is Penn Badgley on drugs? I remember watching the show in its early years and thinking he was really hot. But watching the finale this week, and seeing him in magazines, he's been looking haggard and unhealthy lately.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 2912/19/2012

[quote]the writers planned for Dan to be GG from day one.

No, they didn't. You can go back and see it was a complete retcon.

If you go back and actually watch the older episodes, Dan as GG makes no sense.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 3012/19/2012

Somebody who has done more research than I would ever be inclined to do....

-

1x01- He reads his own blog and is surprised that S is back in town.

1x13- He is like WHADDAFUCK SERENAS PREGNANT, after reading gg. DOES HE JUST FORGET WHAT HE POSTS OR SOMETHING.

Basically the last 5 episodes of season 1- SURELY to GOD if he was gossip girl he’d have known who the fuck Georgina Sparks was.

2x09- Okay was it just me who saw how pissed dan was when he saw the pic of jenny and nate making out on gossip girl…IF HE’D POSTED IT….WHY WOULD HE BE SO SHOCKED.

2x17- He posted a picture of the woman he was banging on gossip girl to destroy her career on purpose?? What even. Why would he even do that. He made his dad mad at him, his girlfriend get fired and Serena really mad.

2x18- It took him a whole episode to work out it was Miss Carr sending tips to gossip girl even though he WAS gossip girl. Does this even make fucking sense.

2x25- After rescuing Serena and taking her to prom he casts her IRRELEVANT what did he just get a sudden surge of anger towards her….wtf, and then declares war on her…..

2x25- How the fuck would Dan Humphrey find out that Blair banged Jack when not even S knew.

2x25- He looked geuninely furious after finding out about Jenny and Nates photo thing….. HE WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE KNOWN ALL ALONG DAMMIT.

2x25- If he believed he’s always been an outsider, why the fuck, would he call him self the “ultimate insider”. Jeeeze.

2x25- Where the actuall fuck was dans phone when the NJBC did the texting to catch him out malachy.

3x10- If he wanted to be a super insider guy thing, why didn’t he post that he’d had a threesome with a FILMSTAR AND VANESSA.

3x22- Why did he yell at jenny so much for posting the photo of him and S in bed on gossip girl, he fucking posted it, and jenny knew he was gossip girl. So what even guys.

4x05- how the fuck did gossip girl not already know that scott was his own brother.

4x10- why did he go to so much effort asking himself how to find out what happened to serena.

5x13- Remember that time when dan sent in a video….to HIMSELF……WHAT EVEN GUYS.

5x24- Now this is the most ridiculous of them all. Dan nearly cried when he read Blair diary entries on gossip girl. Also by posting these diary entries on gossip girl he forced her to realise her feelings for chuck…why would he even do that. Also. Serious question now guys. When did Dan have the opportunity to post that Blair had been spotted at the empire WHILST BEING INSIDE SERENA. THERE WAS NO POSSIBLE TIME FOR HIM TO HAVE POSTED THAT POST. IT’S GENUINELY IMPOSSIBLE.

6x01- Why the hell did Dan help everyone find Serena if he wanted her gone, and why did HE have a recording of their sex tape.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 3112/19/2012

What was up with the actor who played Jack?

He looked so meth gaunt that they had open casket make up on him.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 3212/19/2012

We've been saying the same thing on the Dexter boards, R32. Probably an eating disorder and tanorexia.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 3312/19/2012

I never watched Dexter and I honestly thought they had recast the part since I dont remember Jack looking like that at all.

( Google image search cleared it up, he does look very different though)

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 3412/19/2012

For a quick second I thought that the Asian school chick would turn out to be GG or Nate who was given nothing substantial to work with story wise for most of the run.

Isn't it creepy that both Van Der Woodsen women end up with stalkers and schemers? William deliberately mistreated Lily as patient to be close to her (not to mention the whole scheme he put up with Ivy) and Dan / GG stalked and cyber-bullied (remember that term?) Serena for most of her late teenager years and her early adult years.

I had to do a quick research for one of the cameos (the woman with the British accent - turns out it was a model who caused a lot of trouble for Jenny) in the final.

Funny that Nate, the stoner turns out to become mayor of NY.

Other good Gossip Girl Revelations:

Nate - bored and frustrated from high society life, his grandfather, and the relationship problems of his parents.

Rufus - disgusted by the upper crust that prevented him and Lily to be happy, so he takes it out on the young generation.

Lily - trying to hang on to her youth.

Chuck - well, tired from whispering 'I am Chuck Bass'

Blair - raising her own social profile by creating some gossip blogger who blogs all about her.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 3512/20/2012

[quote]Isn't it creepy that both Van Der Woodsen women end up with stalkers and schemers?

By that criteria, so did Blair...and for the first part of the episode, Nate.

Yesterday I was in self-imposed exile for making a fool of myself Friday night, so I ended up watching the last several episodes of Gossip Girl (despite not having seen a single show since the Season 2 finale). Overall, I was surprised at how decent the whole thing ended. Everyone finally saw Dan as an equal as opposed to some trashy striver...Georgina was at her most devious (while being a lot more endearing)...and Blair and Serena were as likable as ever.

Oh, and the gay in me has to note that Blair's wedding dress was gorgeous. I also loved the tiara that resembled an olive wreath.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 3602/10/2013

R31, thanks for all that research. I knew Lonely Boy couldn't've been Gossip Girl, but I couldn't go back and prove it myself.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 3702/10/2013

R32, R33, R34 I thought Desmond Harrington must have had bad "work" done. He looked so good on Dragnet and a couple of other shows he was on, then virtually unrecognizable on GG. If it hadn't been for his voice, I would not have recognized him for a while.

by Penn Badgely and his greasy curlsreply 3802/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.