Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm a rich investor. I'm giving you $75,000 seed money to start your own business. What kind of business would you start?

by Anonymousreply 4703/08/2013

A ponzi scheme. Thanks for the money, chump.

by Anonymousreply 112/16/2012

by Anonymousreply 212/16/2012

A journal system for young children that are ill.

by Anonymousreply 312/16/2012

A marijuana store. You'll make back your money within the year.

by Anonymousreply 412/16/2012

I'd use the money to flip a house while thinking about the kind of business I want to start.

by Anonymousreply 512/16/2012

vertical farming - I find this so interesting I may become the vertical-farming troll.

by Anonymousreply 612/16/2012

Face moisturizer made from crushed pearls.

by Anonymousreply 712/16/2012

One word---plastiques.

by Anonymousreply 812/16/2012

Was not aware that $75K is enough money for anything.

by Anonymousreply 912/16/2012

I am one of those business owners who is that one investment away from taking my baking business from comfortable-yet-still-a-struggle to bonafide success. Love what I do, as I am the best at what I do in my town, but still want to get to that next plateau. A big financial push would get me there. My recipes are my own and my originality makes me a part of my community's local color. I truly love what I do and am very proud of my offering to my local business conglomerate. This coming year my goal is to become one of the reasons visitors will brag abouy my city when they return to their cities. So yea, this investment would be put to good use. Many people would give many thanks.

by Anonymousreply 1012/16/2012

Male strip club and brothel.

by Anonymousreply 1112/16/2012

I love R1

by Anonymousreply 1212/16/2012

R9 = Ann R.

by Anonymousreply 1312/16/2012

Dog walking biz

by Anonymousreply 1412/16/2012

Depends on what percentage of the business you're keeping for the 75k of seed money.

by Anonymousreply 1512/16/2012

Ha, R15. I'm serious. If you have basically no liquid and little means to get approved for loans that would supplement start-up costs, isn't it kind of difficult to start a business (that people will notice these days) with that amount?

by Anonymousreply 1612/16/2012

Tattoo removal clinic

by Anonymousreply 1712/16/2012

Oh, I would start a gluten-free, vegan cupcake bakery! In my shop I would also sell Precious Moments figurines.

by Anonymousreply 1812/16/2012

Seriously if you are only giving $75K, you are not rich.

by Anonymousreply 1912/16/2012

by Anonymousreply 2012/16/2012

A LGBT youth center.

by Anonymousreply 2112/16/2012

A musical ensemble in the City with lots of shook outreach

by Anonymousreply 2212/16/2012

Well, this is a bit off-topic, but I've been curious: what would you guys do with an extra $24K?

You see, my mom got an inheritance of that amount last year. I'm in my 20s, and I had been working and living at her house and trying to save. When she got it, she told me I had three days to apply to a local college with student housing...because he crazy new husband was sick of my quiet presence, and she wanted to give me something that "no one could take away" from me (education). If I didn't do this, I'd be out on the streets. Never mind that neither she or I could afford more than one year without loans, nor did I have a place to go during breaks. I unfortunately complied.

It's too late now, but I think about what I could have had all the time. No, my mom was not obligated to give me any of that money. But she spent it on me, and I can't get over her failure to realize that she could've given me a FRACTION of it to say goodbye forever. And it would've been better for both of us. She said no because "No one deserves that. No one gets a lump sum in that amount. No one starts out that way." This whole scenario was Red Flag #5 in my recent realization that she's a little off, and that I've been duped by her for quite some time now.

by Anonymousreply 2312/16/2012

I live in the Los Feliz/Silverlake area in LA. And if I had the money and the resources I would start my own "cat house" in the neighborhood. There is a company called Best Little Cat House they have three locations in Burbank, Pasadena and West Hollywood. They are boarding houses for cats. You can look it up on the interwebs. I'd do my own version of that.

Or a bagel/coffee shop there isn't one in the neighborhood I miss good bagels and they are difficult to find in LA.

Or a BBQ joint there isn't one anywhere close to my neighborhood.

Or a deli because there isn't one close etc.

by Anonymousreply 2412/16/2012

r23 - I'm not sure who is the bigger looney toon. You or your mother. Think of how many people work three jobs and pay for their kids. You are apparently able-bodied and are torturing yourself with the regret that you didn't get a bigger hand-out from your mother. WTF???? Put your mind to better use, son.

by Anonymousreply 2512/16/2012

I had two jobs, R25. I didn't have time for a third. And I said I know I wasn't entitled to her money.

by Anonymousreply 2612/16/2012

R23, I don't understand your post.

How did y'all blow through 24k in one year at a local college? By local, I'm assuming you mean community college: where the heck else can you apply and be accepted in three days?

And it seems that you regret taking the 24k because that implied that you never have the right to see her again? Is that right? If it is, this is not really a question of what we would do with the money; rather, it's a dysfunctional family question.

by Anonymousreply 2712/16/2012

Bras and girdles or a corsetorium

by Anonymousreply 2812/16/2012

Well, 75k isn't a great deal of money to go whole hog with a real company that is scalable. I mean, I suppose I could be a smart ass and say I'd reverse merger myself into a tiny penny company on the OTC boards, rent a dried up copper mine in Chile, and then run around to investor conferences with phony feasibility surveys.

I would probably do what you're doing, which is earn on others' earnings. I would make micro-loans to small retail businesses in my area or buy businesses that are going bust.

But if you want me to open a real business, I could acquiesce by starting a healthy breakfast place, like an upper scale Dunkin Donuts. And instead of the S* word, it would have great coffee.

by Anonymousreply 2912/16/2012

R27- No, local as in nearby (but in-state, in a state that happens to have high-ish tuition). After all expenses, it cost $22K. Room and board alone costs $12K per year. I had three days to apply and prove that I applied, not three days to arrive there.

I'm sorry, but I dream about that money in the same way other people here are considering this hypothetical $75K. I understand some are going to think of me as an entitled brat for saying so, but I'm not. I've just listened to my weird parents for my whole life, and I feel I'm not totally to blame for that. I've been trying to figure out how to fix it. If you haven't gone through it, you probably have no sense of it.

by Anonymousreply 3012/16/2012

Seed money is to get you started. It isn't the entire amount that you will need. Seed money is some startup capital in exchange for a small percentage of the business. You will have to bring some funds to the table.

by Anonymousreply 3112/16/2012

Food Truck - specifically desserts.

by Anonymousreply 3212/16/2012

Should be plenty of money to start a service business that is basically home-based. But what is needed is an alternative to donuts, bagels, muffins, fast-food, breakfast mini-menu that is reasonably healthy and satisfies those on a variety of diets. Living in Vegas I'd do a healthy fast-food drive thru in a high-traffic location.

2nd choice I'd rent a kiosk in the upscale mall on the strip and sell "Adult Baskets" for ladies or men. Yes there are sex shops off the strip that sell products/vids. Many prefer a more discrete and classy option.

3rd choice For those attending Vegas conventions, staying in a hotel, and on a restricted diet, I'd offer food baskets designed for those who are Kosher, Vegetarian, carb-restricted, etc.

Or I'd do a party limousine service between Vegas and Disneyland/Orange County. Plenty of tourists want to see both and don't drive. Offer snacks and entertainment of your choice while being driven by either M/F drivers; Chinese or Japanese-speaking on request.

by Anonymousreply 3312/16/2012

by Anonymousreply 3412/16/2012

R34, Are you demonstrating your self-hatred and misogyny again? Do you have anything going on in your life besides putting others down? You're very ugly inside and out. For the other readers on DL, who now may question my honesty, I only post recent unretouched pics on FB. I've always looked extremely young and far more attractive on film. My expressive hazel eyes look huge and bright green for some unknown reason. Even friends don't recognize me. You would not believe the number of top directors and cinematographers that have questioned me on this issue.

by Anonymousreply 3512/17/2012

R10, what's your real business? the one you put in your "Author" space has nothing to do with recipies..

by Anonymousreply 3612/17/2012

If you're so fucking rich why are you giving me only $75,000?

by Anonymousreply 3712/17/2012

A quilting shop.

by Anonymousreply 3812/17/2012

by Anonymousreply 3912/17/2012

Guess, darlins

by Anonymousreply 4012/17/2012

R4 still has the best idea - a pot shop. If you don't want to deal with the hassle and overhead of a shop, do a home delivery service with a website for your pot menu.

I use a delivery service, it's a terrific convenience.

by Anonymousreply 4112/17/2012

R33 is the only who posted realistic ideas for the amount of money offered. $75K is not a lot of money to start a business with.

by Anonymousreply 4212/17/2012

R42, Thank you. I've always wanted to be an entrepreneur but lack the sales skills and the financing.

by Anonymousreply 4312/18/2012

twitter me at and I'm sure you can see what kind of idea I have in mind.

by Anonymousreply 4403/08/2013

I'm investing in what R20 is!

by Anonymousreply 4503/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 4603/08/2013

t There's always someone younger and hungrier coming down the stairs after you.

by Anonymousreply 4703/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!