Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Connecticut school shooting: Westboro Baptist Church planning to picket

Less than 48 hours after the Connecticut school shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT, which took place on Dec. 14, the Westboro Baptist Church is already making plans to picket. The Westboro Baptist Church is known for picketing and protesting at funerals across the country.

“Westboro will picket Sandy Hook Elementary School to sing praise to God for the glory of his work in executing his judgment,” Shirley Phelps-Roper tweeted on Dec. 15.

“They need to come back to Oklahoma,” Bryan Weathers, from Moore, said. “We know how to take care of them here.”

Westboro 'God hates Fags' Baptist Church is planning to pciket at Sandy Hook, to praise 'God's judgment,'” Margie Phelps tweeted as well on Dec. 15.

Westoboro Baptist Church is known for carrying signs that read “Thank God for dead babies” and the like. It is unknown what kind of signs will be seen, if the Westboro Baptist Church actually pickets in Newtown, CT.

The Supreme Court ruled that it is legal for the Westboro Baptist Church to picket funerals. Despite that ruling, many cities and towns have passed laws that force the Westboro Baptist Church to stay a specific distance away from funerals.

by Of course they will picketreply 8201/05/2013

Oh, please let them try.

There are people in CT who will not stand for that and know how to handle them.

by Of course they will picketreply 112/15/2012

CT here, and you don't know the meaning of the word "bitch" until you mess with us Nutmeggers. Those Westboro lunatics will be in for quite a surprise.

by Of course they will picketreply 212/15/2012

someone please off them all

by Of course they will picketreply 312/15/2012

Why don't shooters ever get these people?

by Of course they will picketreply 412/15/2012

You know that's what Shirley really wants R4. Martyrdom.

by Of course they will picketreply 512/15/2012

If that doesn't get them killed or jailed, nothing will.

by Of course they will picketreply 612/15/2012

Westboro didn't picket the funeral of the Amish kids in Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania, what are picketing about?

by Of course they will picketreply 712/15/2012

[quote]If that doesn't get them killed or jailed, nothing will.

Hell, I'd settle for their tax-exempt status pulled.

by Of course they will picketreply 812/15/2012

Sorry, nothing will "happen" to them. Americans have turned into passive fatties, all worried about their tenuous hold on their boo-zhwah dreams.

There will be tsk-tsking, but because Fred is a man of Jesus, we must honor his free speech.

by Of course they will picketreply 912/15/2012

Eh...that's Western CT (where there are far more working class people), not Greenwich (richest zip code in the US), so there will be some angry, angry folks there. Fred & his posse might end up getting roughed up

by Of course they will picketreply 1012/15/2012

R10, Rather than a candlelight vigil, how about a huge counter protest to this rotten excuse for a "Church?"

by Of course they will picketreply 1112/15/2012

Of course. No tragedy is complete until these douchebags try to get involved.

by Of course they will picketreply 1212/15/2012

And I thought the Kardashians were attention whores. These folks take the cake.

by Of course they will picketreply 1312/15/2012

Uh-huh. How about these fucktards show up with their "protest signs" and we get a much larger group to show up with baseball bats?

Sounds like a plan to me.

by Of course they will picketreply 1412/15/2012

Violence!

by Of course they will picketreply 1512/15/2012

The WBC is absolute proof there is no "God".

by Of course they will picketreply 1612/16/2012

Aren't they just a joke by now? Surely the shock value is gone.

r9 - You don't make any sense. This group does have a right to free speech. It has nothing to do with Americans being "passive" or this loon being a 'man of god.' Do you think they should be physically attacked or something?

by Of course they will picketreply 1712/16/2012

If Fred Phelps shows up at a funeral for a 6 year old child with a sign that says, "thank god for dead babies" and if the parent of the dead child shoots him point blank in the face ... I don't think there's a court in the land that would put that parent in jail.

by Of course they will picketreply 1812/16/2012

They celebrate satan's work, that is the god they worship under the guise of Christanity !!

by Of course they will picketreply 1912/16/2012

WBC is a group of lawyers stirring the pot to get a reaction out of you/me in hopes we raise the first hand so they can sue.

That is all they are. Ambulance chasing lawyers who want your house and money. STOP giving them any attention, they will eventually go away.

by Of course they will picketreply 2012/16/2012

Yes, well, according to a recent poll 58% of Americans "agree that god is in control of everything that happens in the world," which is effectively the Phelps position on tragedies of this sort.

But WBC are attention whores. Us talking about them is all they want.

by Of course they will picketreply 2112/16/2012

Anonymous posts personal info of Westboro Church members:

by Of course they will picketreply 2212/16/2012

I see a beat down coming

by Of course they will picketreply 2312/16/2012

I've always thought that was strange, R21. When a majority of Americans think like as the WBC does, but are infuriated that they dare to say it.

by Of course they will picketreply 2412/16/2012

They are not a church. They are a hate group.

by Of course they will picketreply 2512/16/2012

Can't wait to see this!

by Of course they will picketreply 2612/16/2012

R20 has it completely right. WBC are just a bunch of shit-stirrers. The biggest trolls that ever trolled. It doesn't even make me angry anymore, because I see right through them. This is their tired schtick. Lather, rinse, repeat.

by Of course they will picketreply 2712/16/2012

R7, the reason they did not picked the Amish funerals was because a DJ offered them air time on his show in exchange for not picketing.

by Of course they will picketreply 2812/16/2012

Do they have any actual followers?

by Of course they will picketreply 2912/16/2012

I was at a gay pride rally in Philadelphia. The "christian mafia" was there and waving banners/ "sodomy is unnatural" , I looked at the guy with the banner and said, "don't knock it 'til you try it". He just smiled and looked at the fat girl next to him and said "fags go to hell". These anti-gay crusaders have entirely too much time on their hands and have deeper problems that they are avoiding by pointing at the innocent gays instead of dealing with themselves.

by Of course they will picketreply 3012/16/2012

Most Christian fanatics do, R30.

by Of course they will picketreply 3112/16/2012

Here you go R22

by Of course they will picketreply 3212/16/2012

My heart aches knowing these wastes of carbon are breathing the same air as I do, and are contributing to global warming by jetting here, there and everywhere in order to pimp their fairy tale delusions.

by Of course they will picketreply 3312/16/2012

R18 wins.

by Of course they will picketreply 3412/16/2012

No, they don't have any actual followers. The "Westboro Baptist Church" consists of one very old megalomaniac, i.e. Fred Phelps, and the few relatives that he's managed to browbeat into following his crazy agenda. Their entire purpose is to do outrageously mean and antisocial things to people who are suffering from extreme stress and grief, in hopes that somebody will lose their tempers and do something to them that is legally actionable, so they can sue them for big $. That is literally how they make their living.

by Of course they will picketreply 3512/16/2012

R32 wins!

by Of course they will picketreply 3612/16/2012

Malware alert at R37.

by Of course they will picketreply 3812/16/2012

Thanks, R38.

by Of course they will picketreply 3912/16/2012

R32, you need to make that info it's own thread!

by Of course they will picketreply 4012/16/2012

First to be buried is six-year-old Noah Pozner. Service at a funeral home in Fairield tomorrow. His twin sister, Arielle, was in a different classroom and not injured.

by Of course they will picketreply 4112/16/2012

Excused typo. The funeral is in "Fairfield."

by Of course they will picketreply 4212/16/2012

Personally, I like the tactic of signing people up to contribute for every minute/hour that WBC is "protesting," then having a live digital feed prominently displayed that shows them how their "protest" is funding the causes they hate. It's quiet and effective.

by Of course they will picketreply 4312/16/2012

I'd say that would be a good day for a joint convention of the NRA and Autism Speaks!

by Of course they will picketreply 4412/16/2012

I am surprised at how many of them are lawyers within the criminal justice system. I would think that the government would receive heat for hiring them.

by Of course they will picketreply 4512/16/2012

I like that R43. Does this currently exist?

Noah being half of a twin makes me even sadder and I didn't not think that possible. I am guessing Noah (Pozner) is Jewish which explains the fast burial.

Going off to cry again, this time for Arielle.

by Of course they will picketreply 4612/16/2012

I remember watching some BBC documentary and was surprised that a few of the younger women in the church were nurses. How could someone that hateful, who thinks everyone is going to hell, be a good nurse? Why would they be hired?

It was also disturbing how casually some of them dismissed their own children who left the group. They considered them to be damned and just acted as if they didn't exist anymore. No tears, no pictures or anything.

by Of course they will picketreply 4712/16/2012

The fundraising tactic has been employed before, R46, with some success. I don't know about the live digital feed but it wouldn't be too hard to do. You can also just do a low-tech version with a whiteboard that someone updates every minute.

by Of course they will picketreply 4812/16/2012

[quote]It was also disturbing how casually some of them dismissed their own children who left the group.

That's one of the hallmarks of a cult. Fortunately, Phelps is just too crazy and too lacking in charisma to extend his cult beyond his immediate family but within that family he's in charge. Or maybe the second generation is in charge by now; I haven't been following them recently.

by Of course they will picketreply 4912/16/2012

Is there anyone her who thinks they will actually show up? This is classic Phelps: announce that you will picket a funeral... get a lot of outrageous publicity... don't show up.

by Of course they will picketreply 5012/16/2012

I felt the same way, R46, when I read that story. I have a twin sister and I don't know if I could go on living if something like this happened to her. She is more pragmatic - I think she would survive if it was me. I guess if one of us had to go, it should be me. I'd die anyway.

by Of course they will picketreply 5112/16/2012

You see, when I hear things like this I suddenly become pro-assault weapons!

by Of course they will picketreply 5212/16/2012

[quote]You don't make any sense. This group does have a right to free speech.

And yet SCOTUS ruled in The Schenck case that it is illegal to falsely shout "FIRE" in a crowded theater. Free speech has limits despite what some dummies on DL seem to believe.

by Of course they will picketreply 5312/16/2012

[quote]Free speech has limits despite what some dummies on DL seem to believe.

Those limits were tested in another WBC case that made it to the Supreme Court. What they are doing is protected.

by Of course they will picketreply 5412/16/2012

They're not going. They say they're going to everything but rarely do. Quit giving them attention.

by Of course they will picketreply 5512/16/2012

[quote]Oh, please let them try. There are people in CT who will not stand for that and know how to handle them.

Some variation of this is always said. Yet nothing ever happens to them.

by Of course they will picketreply 5612/16/2012

No one wants to turn them into martyrs.

by Of course they will picketreply 5712/16/2012

Oh, this should go over well.

by Of course they will picketreply 5812/16/2012

Those Westboro lunatics were picketing a gay marriage rally a few years ago, and were met with GLBT counter-protesters. One drag queen had a sign that read "Shirley Phelps left her panties at my house." It's the only time I've ever laughed at anything connected to those Phelps freaks.

by Of course they will picketreply 5912/16/2012

[quote] STOP giving them any attention, they will eventually go away.

No they won't. Did Obama ignoring Fox News and his critics make them go away? No. You're just passive, lazy and all too happy to get stepped all over.

I fucking hate "ignore them and they'll go away" trolls. The WBC should meet a very violent end.

by Of course they will picketreply 6012/16/2012

I think more people would counter-protest with humor, but since they show up at funerals usually...

They are a very tricky bunch. They speak of hell so often, because they are living their lives in it. Talk about projecting!

I sense that the public in general is just fucking sick of them. They are the Ann Coulter of cults.

by Of course they will picketreply 6112/16/2012

I'm not sure how seriously they take their own messages either. Kevin Smith's recent stand-up has a lot about them picketing his movie Red State, and his interactions with them sounded bizarre.

by Of course they will picketreply 6212/16/2012

@60 Hate me and call me a troll all day long. Why don't you go ahead and become the martyr that helps the WBC meet their "violent end" if you are so bothered by them.

Bitch and moan or do something about it. Or ya know, just ignore them and enjoy life.

by Of course they will picketreply 6312/16/2012

[quote] CT here, and you don't know the meaning of the word "bitch" until you mess with us Nutmeggers. Those Westboro lunatics will be in for quite a surprise.

That's what everyone says. And yet WBC lives on, unhindered while kids get the shit shot out of them.

by Of course they will picketreply 6412/16/2012

r1 here.

I'm from CT and of Italian heritage. There are certain families that could make any protest that WBC attempts difficult.

[quote]. And yet WBC lives on, unhindered while kids get the shit shot out of them.

As odious as they are, they haven't killed anyone AFAIK.

by Of course they will picketreply 6512/16/2012

Can someone with a terminal illness please make a name for yourself?

by Of course they will picketreply 6612/16/2012

They have came to Blacksburg, VA near an anniversary of the VT shooting. There were two adults and three children in a in an older minivan. People were of two mind sets; ignore or counter protest. I ignored them but saw footage on the local news of the very positive counter protest by several hundred people. IIFC the WBC folks packed up and left earlier than expected.

by Of course they will picketreply 6712/16/2012

They can't die off soon enough. I think once Daddy Fred goes, they might splinter. Even though his daughter Shirley is his mouth piece, some members of the "church" don't accept her as a leader because she's a woman (if you're going to be all Old Testament, women aren't allowed to give testimony) and there's no strong men ready to lead.

by Of course they will picketreply 6812/16/2012

Along with Noah Pozner, Jack Pinto is being buried today.

by Of course they will picketreply 7012/17/2012

The mob is alive and well in New England. Mark my words, if they enter the state they will quietly disappear. No one (police, district attorneys, etc) will ask questions about what happened to them.

by Of course they will picketreply 7112/17/2012

I'm saying this kindly R71, but I have lived in CT for a long time now and I know of no mobs.

by Of course they will picketreply 7212/17/2012

I love Hannity here and I hate Fox. Notice the same manner she uses of screaming over everyone else like Glenn Beck and O'Reilly.

by Of course they will picketreply 7312/17/2012

Total closet case around the :22 mark.

by Of course they will picketreply 7412/17/2012

Shirley is a "sinner" who had a child out of wedlock. She was questioned about it and talked over the reporter and wouldn't admit ignored the questioning and just kept up her "you will go to hell" routine.

Total hypocrite. The father has never been identified and a lot of people think old Fred himself is the father. I wouldn't put it past him.

by Of course they will picketreply 7512/17/2012

Wow.

by Of course they will picketreply 7612/17/2012

On reddit about a year or so ago, one of Phelps family defectors answered questions, he said there was lots of hardcore physical abuse going on in that family. Old Fred would get into uncontrollable rages and constantly beat up his wife and kids for years.

by Of course they will picketreply 7912/18/2012

There's a petition you can sign here asking the IRS to investigate the Westboro Baptist Church's tax-exempt status.

by Of course they will picketreply 8012/18/2012

Okay...so...have they shown up? Lots of funerals today!

by Of course they will picketreply 8112/20/2012

Sorry, I just don't agree with the Westboro church.

by Of course they will picketreply 8201/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.