Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

New Almodovar movie coming this spring!

Trailer looks awesome.

by Anonymousreply 2101/04/2013

Tres cool - I'm sooooo excited!

by Anonymousreply 112/14/2012

I can't tell whether this will be a good movie or not, but it doesn't matter. His movies are always worth seeing. I can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 212/14/2012

Love him, and of course it could be good, but what exactly looks awesome from this short trailer? The three stereotypically gay-seeming men dancing to I'm so Excited similar to the obligatory female buddy musical sequence in a Hollywood craptrap (think First Wives club and 5,000,000 other movies)?

by Anonymousreply 312/14/2012

If you're looking for politically correct entertainment, R3, you should probably skip Almodovar films. But since you say you're a fan, you should already know that...

by Anonymousreply 412/14/2012

I agree with r4. I need a bit more meat than that. Of course, I'll go see it the first night it opens.

by Anonymousreply 512/14/2012

Oops, I meant I agree with r3.

by Anonymousreply 612/14/2012

It has nothing to do with political correctness, r4. It has to do with originality and freshness, which I almost always do find in Almodovar movies.

And what part of "it could be good" didn't you understand? What I fail to understand is why anyone thinks anything in this teaser is promisingly "awesome"?

by Anonymousreply 712/14/2012

by Anonymousreply 812/14/2012

by Anonymousreply 912/14/2012

His last few movies, although excellent, have lacked that sort of gay camp and excess that many of his earlier movies exhibited. Although it's hard to tell if this is a good movie, at least it shows some ebullience. I hope he's not just out of ideas and returning to what he knows will sell, though. I still will see it opening night, which could be years from now, considering I live in Nashville!

by Anonymousreply 1012/14/2012

Can anyone translate this? Not word for word, of course, but just the main ideas.

by Anonymousreply 1101/03/2013

No thanks. Feminine stereotypical guys being clowns and minstrels while goodlooking heterosexual male characters are presented as normal manly dudes is not something for me.

by Anonymousreply 1201/03/2013

No heterosexual is ever portrayed as normal in Almodovar movies. No character, regardless of sexuality, is normal in that world. Have you not seen an Almodovar pic?

by Anonymousreply 1301/03/2013

R12: imagines himself as, and only dates, "straight-acting and appearing". In reality is gayer than three consecutive Judy Garland film festivals.

by Anonymousreply 1401/03/2013

I can't wait. It looks like he's going back to his roots.

by Anonymousreply 1501/03/2013

I think he must have realized how incredibly dark he was getting with THE SKIN I LIVE IN. Hope it's fun.

by Anonymousreply 1601/03/2013

I agree with R12. Aldomovar's female characters are strong, ballsy and multi-faceted. The straight men are usually gorgeous and equally complex.

His gay male characters border on being over-the-top campy drag queens. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 1701/03/2013

What R16 said. He was getting really heavy.

I'll be glad to see something zany and light again from him. "Women on the Verge" is one of the funniest films EVAH.

by Anonymousreply 1801/03/2013

Thankfully his movies have tiny appeal in America. We definitely don't need media portrayals that shout gay men as freakish feminine stereotypes. His movies are stuck in a time warp when it comes to gay portrayals.

by Anonymousreply 1901/04/2013

Sadly, I haven't yet seen the last one, Skin.

In the US, it's only on a Blu-ray/DVD combo and I refuse to pay that.

I'm not changing to a more expensive format with little difference in quality. In fact, the Blu-ray format looks no different on a large TV, and worse at times.

I can see for sports and video games, extra resolution would be an advantage. But for films, it can be distracting.

by Anonymousreply 2001/04/2013

R20, it was in Redbox a while ago

by Anonymousreply 2101/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!