Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

**BREAKING NEWS** "CHINA BEACH" SCHEDULED FOR DVD RELEASE!

They finally got all the music cleared.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8905/23/2013

I've been waiting years for this! I have all the episodes on VHS (including one VHS where the spool broke so I can't play it) and so hoped it would make it to DVD some day. Great news!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 112/14/2012

I'm sure Brian Wimmer could use the extra residual income.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 212/14/2012

Now if we could just get SISTERS, too.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 312/14/2012

What, after all that money Wimmer must have been drowning in from "The New Adventures of Flipper?"

by The Voice of the Nightreply 412/14/2012

[quote] I'm sure Brian Wimmer could use the extra residual income.

I doubt he'll see any residuals from this.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 512/14/2012

Now if we could just get the remaining seasons of Mama's Family.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 612/14/2012

I hope this is good news. I remember the show fondly, but I also remembered The Facts of Life in the same way and was shocked how bad it was when I bought the DVDs all those years later.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 712/14/2012

Now if we could just get Marblehead Manor released...

by The Voice of the Nightreply 812/14/2012

Big difference between "Facts" and "China Beach."

by The Voice of the Nightreply 912/14/2012

Actors don't get much money from DVD's.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1012/14/2012

I loved this show so much! That is great news!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1112/14/2012

"Big difference between "Facts" and "China Beach."

Sure is. Most people have actually heard of Facts of Life.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1212/14/2012

I was referring to fondness and memory, r9, not Emmy nominations

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1312/14/2012

Brian Wimmer won't see a dime; Diana Ross likely demanded 98.9% of the proceeds in exchange for the use of "Reflections."

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1412/14/2012

[quote]I'm sure Brian Wimmer could use the extra residual income.

Well, we sure as hell know Marg H. DOESN'T.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1512/14/2012

Why did Marg Helgenberger mess up her face so much? Dana Delany's probably has just as much work, but looks a lot fresher and more natural.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1612/14/2012

In other important news of the day, President Jimmy Carter said today that high gas prices should be coming down this month!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1712/14/2012

It's interesting - the last season of China Beach ('92) was set 20 years in the future, and 20 years later Dana Delany looks better than she did then.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1812/14/2012

OMG, look at Jeff Kober! He looks older than even those who are older than him

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1912/14/2012

I remember it was such a big deal when they killed off Cherry, a major character.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2012/14/2012

R12, CB is one of the most requested shows for TV Shows on DVD.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2112/14/2012

Ricki Lake had an abortion on the show.

Interesting that show was done in reverse, all of the scenes started at the end, and went to the beginning of the story.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2212/14/2012

I can't believe I forgot Ricki Lake was on the show. I looked at that pic posted and thought the cast chose to reunite on her talk show.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2312/14/2012

Where's Cherry? I loved her character and my 11-year-old self cried when she was killed.

WEHT Nan Woods?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2412/14/2012

The death of Cherry was truly shocking tv. There were no spoilers ahead of time, she was a major character (the ingenue in Viet Nam), and the scene played perfectly - relief turning to grief in an instant. i remember sitting in front of the tv not quite believing what I was seeing.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2512/14/2012

Nan Woods is now Nan Rubley:

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2612/14/2012

Featuring the world's most annoyingly mannered actress (at least since Sandy Dennis's demise): Chloe Webb! (Although she'd better check behind her - Kathleen Wilhoite is catching up fast.)

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2812/14/2012

R7 is an absolute idiot.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2912/14/2012

I hated China Beach. The very definition of a "chick show." Did any real men even watch this tripe?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3012/14/2012

R30 You're asking about "real men" on Datalounge?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3112/14/2012

This is really great news. I'm waiting for Wonder Years and Ally McBeal (in the US). Both still tangled over music rights.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3212/14/2012

Ally McBeal has been available in the US for about 3 years, dumbass.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3312/14/2012

The Wonder Years does not hold up at all. It's just cloying and overly sentimental, and the later Kevin going-through-puberty episodes are completely unwatchable. Ally McBeal was pure David E. Kelly forumulaic crap. How anyone could've sat through five minutes of any episode is beyond me. Another silly chick show for the fraus to discuss at the watercooler on Tuesday mornings. What I'm really waiting for is the third season release of my beloved Knots Landing. Come on Warner Bros, make it happen.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3412/14/2012

That's really unnecessary r33. I thought it was only released outside of the US.

Sheesh. It doesn't take much to rile some people on DL.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3512/14/2012

That's nice, r34. That is your opinion.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3612/14/2012

I was a baby when this show was on, so I don't remember it, but have read about this show several times on DL. Why did the gays love it?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3712/14/2012

r37

I can't speak for THE gays, but:

period piece.

female-dominated

more about character relationships than "action" scenes.

great pop soundtrack.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3812/14/2012

I'm glad Chloe Webb's made something of a comeback. Loved her in Tales.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3912/14/2012

Lots of hot, shirtless, sweaty guys playing soldiers who sit around watching women dressed in fab 60s fashion and belting out Supremes tunes.

So take a guess why, r37.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4012/14/2012

Dana Delany turned me gay. Some fond memories of watching this show as a wee babydyke.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4112/14/2012

Cherry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4212/14/2012

There are some very moving episodes in this series. There is one I remember about KC and this black guy whose face was half burned off. And the last few episodes where it's the fall of Saigon and she shoves her kid onto the helicopter after having written BOONIE on her coat. And the finale is extremely moving.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4312/14/2012

Thanks for the news, VOTN. Hopefully next up will be Fresno, A Year in the Life and Madame's Place

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4412/14/2012

I wondered if things were really like that...that show made serving as a nurse in Vietnam look like loads of fun. They had a beauty contest. And a "prom." McMurphy had hot affairs with a handsome flyboy (on one of the shows they had a marathon fuck session) and a handsome French doctor; both were madly in love with her but neither relationship lasted (the flyboy was married and the French doctor was committment-shy). Every guy on that fucking show wanted a piece of McMurphy's fine ass. Of course now and then there was that messy business of tending to gravely wounded casualties, but mostly it was sex and booze and good times. I don't know if that's what the show intended but it sure looked to me like the good outweighed the bad.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4512/14/2012

Dana Delany could turn any woman gay, I think, r41. I don't know what it is about her.

My dad loved this show. I was in college through most of its run, but I enjoyed Dana Delany.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4612/15/2012

Holy effing crap the best news I've heard all week. years ago I tried searching then downloading some haphazard, hacked video from the show but the downloads never worked and the quality was terrible... oh happy day!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4712/15/2012

Don't forget the sistah in the cast: black Amazon Nancy Giles, now the liberal pundit on CBS Sunday Morning.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4812/15/2012

Finally, a way I can waste money without having to burn it!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4912/15/2012

Excellent news.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5012/16/2012

I thought Robert Picardo was kind of hot on that show.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5112/16/2012

R51, I think it was the toupee they had him wear. It made him look less severe than he did sans toupee on "The Wonder Years."

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5212/18/2012

Dana looked amazing in short hair.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5312/18/2012

Dana, in character, singing I got you babe

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5412/18/2012

Brian Wimmer...oh how my 13 year old self lusted for him.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5512/18/2012

Oh wow...Dana Delaney in the shower. Puttin' my name on the list...

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5612/18/2012

And Dana checking out Marg.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5712/18/2012

Since this thread started, I've had "Reflections" stuck in my head. Seriously.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5812/18/2012

[quote]Since this thread started, I've had "Reflections" stuck in my head. Seriously.

You probably owe Diana Ross money for that.

Pay up.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5912/18/2012

It wasn't exactly Shakespeare but something about these characters made it interesting. Especially Delany/Helgenberger.

And oh yes, I wanted Brian Wimmer and Robert Picardo to have a swordfight in my mouth. Mmmmm.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6012/18/2012

I hate you, R60. I thought you were linking to something different.

Motherfucker!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6112/18/2012

Why isn't LA Law out yet?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6212/19/2012

Season 1 of LA law is out. 50 bucks.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6312/19/2012

"Don't forget the sistah in the cast: black Amazon Nancy Giles, now the liberal pundit on CBS Sunday Morning."

Nancy Giles stuck out like a sore thumb on that show. Her character was ininteresting and unlikeable and obnoxious; in addition, she looked like a guy in drag. I guess that thought the show needed a "black chick" character, but it didn't work, not by a long shot.

She's now an unbearable talking head on CBS Sunday Morning. She's as bad as Ben Stein; they're both idiots whose segments on the show are excruciatingly awful, a total waste of air time.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6412/19/2012

Nancy Giles is utterly fantastic on CBS Morning News. But I agree, she was a token on CB.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6512/20/2012

Love the show. Anyone who liked the show should read the autobiographical book it was based on. Home Before Morning.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6612/20/2012

I hope the release is early in the year.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6712/20/2012

When are we going to see Boston Public on dvd?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6812/20/2012

When are the remaining seasons of Pickett Fences being released?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6912/21/2012

The music that was cleared -- is it the real, original music, or are we going to have to settle for substitutes, as in WKRP?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7012/21/2012

VOTN's link at OP says that over 500 music pieces have been cleared, so that the DVDs will have "almost all" of the originally-used music intact.

I wonder what the holdouts are, and how many.

There was a bootleg complete DVD release a few years ago, but I think it had been recorded off a cable network and may have had some edits for time.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7112/21/2012

Watch -- no "Reflections"

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7212/21/2012

Helgenberger was fantastic on the show. KC was no hooker with a heart of gold. She was tough, steely and in it for herself.

Her whole arc with the story of her and her father culminated in the penultimate episode when *SPOILER* her daughter tracks down KC's sister and you get a lot of answers as to why KC did what she did. It was heartbreaking.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7312/21/2012

You may as well not even release it if you can't use Reflections.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7412/21/2012

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the incredible chemistry between Delaney and Helgenberger. The producers played with this often. Watch "The Unquiet Earth" where both of them were kidnapped by the VC and taken into a tunnel where the VC forced McMurphy to perform a surgery on a VC general. Also, the TET 68 two parter episodes where they are stuck together in the Embassy while the city is under attack. Fantastic acting by both and there is a lesbian undertone to their relationship. The episode where McMurphy tosses a bottle of booze at KC after a fight is amazing. KC says something like, "I never wanted a sister!" and walks away. McMurphy throws the bottle at her, stunning her, they turn and stare at each other and McMurphy says, "But there you are." Awesome.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7512/21/2012

Helgenberger and Delany were phenomenal together. Once they killed off Cherry, they had more scenes until the show became about McMurphy AND KC and Helgenberger got the "And ... As..." credit.

I also liked how they had their "You owe me" bit that started with the Tet offensive episode and went through the rest of the series. The scene when McMurphy is losing her mind because they found her former boyfriend's helmet so she finally just loses it and sits on the water tower and KC joins her is a great scene.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7612/21/2012

"I'm surprised no one has mentioned the incredible chemistry between Delaney and Helgenberger"

They were very good together.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7712/21/2012

Marg has always had better chem with her female costars. Funny that...

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7812/21/2012

R78 - Ditto Dana.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7912/21/2012

Pre-order is available. Unfortunately, it's only from Time-Life Video at the moment, and, if you're prepared for the sticker shock, is $200.

But that's for all four seasons, plus some swag, and a few of the episodes have commentaries, and several of those commentaries include Dana Delany.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8002/05/2013

I wonder if the reason it's being released on Time-Life is that Time-Life has clearance on so much music of that era (think late-nite infomercials hosted by Micky Dolenz and so forth).

Thanks for the update, OP.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8102/05/2013

My box set just arrived today. I'm so excited!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8204/29/2013

[quote] I wonder if the reason it's being released on Time-Life is that Time-Life has clearance on so much music of that era

No, that would have nothing to do with music clearances for a DVD release of a television show.

A lot of studios are doing this these days. They don't want to be bothered to spend the money for all of the negative clean-up, music and talent clearances, etc., so they "license" a third-party to release their TV and film materials.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8304/29/2013

What's the quality of the picture? R82

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8404/29/2013

Anyone have knowledge why Men in Trees never got released? That is so on my dvd wishlist. Beautifully quirky. ABC treated the show like shit with inexplicable scheduling and hiatus.

Glad for CB though.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8504/30/2013

Link

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8605/22/2013

I'm not paying that kind of for it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8705/22/2013

This is kind of interesting from the link at r86:

[quote]"They got almost all the rights except for just a few songs," Delany says. "One in particular was, like, an old standard Christmas song. They couldn't use that. And then, one that really makes me laugh is, we had Jimi Hendrix doing 'All Along the Watchtower,' and the Hendrix estate is very tough about its music and they wouldn't let us have it. But a lot of people don't remember that Bob Dylan wrote that song. And [he] said, 'Sure, you can have my version.' And that just makes me smile because Bob Dylan for years wouldn't let anybody use his music. ... So I just love the fact that he's now come around and we're using his version of 'All Along the Watchtower.'"

Good for Bob Dylan.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8805/23/2013

R82, it's not a perfect print but it's better than the "Dallas" and "Knots Landing" prints. The colors can vary from episode to episode (the stained glass windows in KC's room can go from faded to vivid to overpowering) but the show always used lush photography so most of it still looks good.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8905/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.