Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Looking for Mr. Goodbar- Great opening title credits.

the photos by Kathy Field, the music. Great beginning for what's to come.

by Anonymousreply 2112/15/2012

Brooks originally had Mary Ellen Mark taking photographs but thought they were too disturbing and dark. I'd love to see them.

I love this title sequence though. The brief bits of movement from Richard Kiley and Keaton thrown in amongst the stills is kind of creepy, and the song just creates the whole seedy atmosphere.

by Anonymousreply 112/13/2012

Why is this not on DVD again?

by Anonymousreply 212/13/2012

What song has r1's bloomers in a knot, I'm guessing Donna Summer's Try Me?

by Anonymousreply 312/13/2012

Music rights is thought to be the reason. It's a shame - it's not the most incredible film in the world, but it really stands out in many ways.

Also, here's The Looking for Mr Goodbar Lesson Plans!

Kindle publishing of what is basically wikipedia is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 412/13/2012

Don't Ask to Stay Until Tomorrow by Marlena Shaw. CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 512/13/2012

So are companies refusing to release the copyrights or is no one trying?

by Anonymousreply 612/13/2012

It's expensive to pay for home video rights for music. It's what holds up some tv shows being released. Daria for example, when put out on dvd had entirely different songs or 'soundalikes' in some cases I believe.

They should do a criterion release with a documentary about the real case and Rossner's book.

by Anonymousreply 712/13/2012

I didn't know it was based on a real murder, but the murderer wasn't gay. I'm surprised no one is bothered about how that's presented, especially when it's a fabrication. I don't think the movie is very good, and it's also a puritanical morality-tale about casual sex.

by Anonymousreply 812/13/2012

I don't see what the down side would be for the copyright holders. Make a deal and get over it.

by Anonymousreply 912/13/2012

The most shocking thing about Looking For Mr. Goodbar today is that a public schoolteacher could afford to live alone in a one-bedroom apartment on the Upper West Side. Crazy!

by Anonymousreply 1012/13/2012

Why doesn't TCM show this?

by Anonymousreply 1112/13/2012

The disco music makes me wish the lead character was a gay man.

Maybe the new "Cruising" remake with James Franco will satisfy the need in me.

by Anonymousreply 1212/15/2012

[quote]new "Cruising" remake with James Franco

It sounds like a DL parody, but it's apparently true.

by Anonymousreply 1312/15/2012

They're remaking Cruising? Good lord.

by Anonymousreply 1412/15/2012

I was wondering if the killer was gay. All I recall is that the killer couldn't get an erection so Diane Keaton's character started laughing at him and I think he was protesting that he wasn't gay when he lost it and started stabbing her.

It seemed like he might be gay but it wasn't conclusive.

by Anonymousreply 1512/15/2012

The first appearance of the killer is in a bar where he's making out with an older guy. Then later in the film it cuts to what looked like a bar raid and the killer exploding in rage at the other guy. It's one part of the film I hate because up until that point the film was solely from the perspective of Keaton's character.

by Anonymousreply 1612/15/2012

The real life killer was a bit of a hustler. He was involved in a relationship with an older man, as well as his girlfriend.

I always look forward to the LFMG threads. They always pop up at least once a year.

The book about the real life crime is called 'Closing Time' by Lacey Fosbergh

by Anonymousreply 1712/15/2012

i havent seen the tv movie about the hunt for the killer, but the weirdest part of the whole real life story is that Fred Ebb was involved!!

by Anonymousreply 1812/15/2012

[quote]new "Cruising" remake with James Franco

Oh God that sounds intolerable.

by Anonymousreply 1912/15/2012

I agree, excellent opening credits. The music was well selected and used very well in the film and it's part of what gave the film a certain weight.

For example, look how they used the very good but not well known Bill Withers song 'She's Lonely' in this clip.

by Anonymousreply 2012/15/2012

The whole film seems to be on youtube. I wonder for how long.

by Anonymousreply 2112/15/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!