Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How much do you have to starve yourself to be lean?

I have great discipline. If I know something is going to work, I can go the long haul.

I am 36, 5'6", 150lbs and want to lose about 15 lbs of fat and be lean for the first time in my life.

What do I have to eat? Kale and boiled chicken breasts? And for how long? Four months? Anyone have experience with totally changing the makeup of their body?

by Anonymousreply 5312/14/2012

[quote]And for how long? Four months?

Four months????

Uh, try: FOREVER.

Diets. Don't. work. If you spend five seconds thinking about it you'll manage to figure that out for yourself: if you go back to the same eating habits you'll weigh the same again in due time.

You have to find a new way of eating that you can live with for the rest of your life.

by Anonymousreply 112/13/2012

I did this. It works.

This site has a lot of great info, and no, you don't have to be (or want to be) a bodybuilder to learn from it.

by Anonymousreply 212/13/2012

6 packs are made in the kitchen, as the saying goes. Another saying, you gotta get obsessed and stay obsessed!

Which is why I walked away from gym rat culture. I like my brain too much.

by Anonymousreply 312/13/2012

by Anonymousreply 412/13/2012

Don't eat carbs.

by Anonymousreply 512/13/2012

Don't eat anything white. No white bread, no white pasta, no white flour, no white cock, no white potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 612/13/2012

You can file your nails on my stomach and I eat pasta almost every day. I do limit calories and serving size.

by Anonymousreply 712/13/2012

Eat only thread, paper, and dust.

by Anonymousreply 812/13/2012

Learn to enjoy being hungry.

by Anonymousreply 912/13/2012

You don't have to starve. No pasta, no flour- that's it. If you are as disciplined as you say, this will be a cinch.

by Anonymousreply 1012/13/2012

I haven't eaten since 1973.

by Anonymousreply 1112/13/2012

Pasta has fuck all to do with it....a lot of great abs eat pasta.

by Anonymousreply 1212/13/2012

OP - it sounds like you need to join the Cross-fit Cult.

by Anonymousreply 1312/13/2012

You don't have to starve to get and stay lean. You have to learn portion control.

When you stray from portion control, make up for it by skipping a meal.

The other day, instead of lunch, I celebrated the season with a huge egg nog milk shake topped with whipped cream. It was great. It was very filling - almost too much to finish. It was easy to skip dinner after that.

I stay lean, still enjoy all my favorite foods, and don't gain weight during holiday season.

by Anonymousreply 1412/13/2012

Skipping meals does not work for most people.

by Anonymousreply 1512/13/2012

When you've had a huge milkshake or a huge piece of homemade pie, it's easy to skip a meal. It's not the same as if you ate one Oreo cookie.

by Anonymousreply 1612/13/2012

Someone posted here once that "if you're not hungry enough to eat an apple, you're not really hungry," and that comment has stayed with me for years.

It really is all about making the act of eating about dealing with hunger and not a reward or part of a fixed routine.

by Anonymousreply 1712/13/2012

Do you have depression or ADD, OP? If so, you could see about getting on Wellbutrin and/or Adderall. They are both appetite suppressants. I lost ~20 lbs that way, and kept it off (just don't go off of them).

by Anonymousreply 1812/13/2012

Why do people continuously try to make this harder than it is? Eat less and exercise more. There is no other answer.

by Anonymousreply 1912/13/2012

Low carb is the answer. Stick primarily to meat, poultry, fish, eggs, lots of veggies and enough fats to keep you satiated. Fruits, nuts and dairy sparingly.

But I also agree with R14. We are not perfect and can not follow any diet 100%, so when you do have that eggnog or piece of cake (not too often)...skip the next meal.

by Anonymousreply 2012/13/2012

Because it isn't that simple, R19. Eat less what? Less cookies? What if all you ate was cake and all you drank was diet soda. Even if you kept your caloric intake of these foods to less than 1000 per day you would be very unhealthy.

What we eat is just as important as how much.

by Anonymousreply 2112/13/2012

No, have the eggnog, but have a light protein-rich meal. Skipping meals leads to blowing diets.

by Anonymousreply 2212/13/2012

Really, R21?

Do you really think people have no idea about what foods are healthy to eat. By now? Really?

by Anonymousreply 2312/13/2012

Dear "Really?" troll @ R23. You said it is as simple as eating less and moving more. I dumbed it down for you and used an extreme analogy so your challenged intellect could grasp that it is NOT that simple.

by Anonymousreply 2412/13/2012

[quote]Anyone have experience with totally changing the makeup of their body?

Yes, but it might make you angry.

by Anonymousreply 2612/13/2012

OP, you need to face reality: some people are naturally thin, and some aren't. Most of the people who *are* thin aren't following any special diet or exercising much, if at all; they're just blessed with better metabolism. Accepting this reality will help you considerably in the long run. Unless you're prepared for a MAJOR, long-term life change -- meaning PERMANENT, substantial alterations to both your diet and exercise habits -- you will inevitably "float back" to your current weight.

And yes, I know some people truly *do* starve themselves to stay thin, and certainly Hollywood presents ridiculously unrealistic body images for both men but particularly for women, but that's not how it works for most; anorexia is quite rare among men, which is what would be necessary to achieve what it sounds like you might be looking for.

by Anonymousreply 2712/13/2012

R7/12 is not honest or is an anomaly. Give up the bread, pasta and other starches.

by Anonymousreply 2812/13/2012

[quote]Learn to enjoy being hungry.

I had forgotten that one. Never mastered being so hungry you can't sleep tho.

by Anonymousreply 2912/13/2012

Um. Find guys (like myself) that will fuck you BECAUSE of that extra ten pounds, not in spite of it.

Not a chubby chaser at all, but I want a man, not a skeleton. And if your extra few pounds gives you a little jiggle in your ass, get to the front of the line to take my 8inch cock.

by Anonymousreply 3012/13/2012

I remember the first time I slept with a hard body. It was like fucking a slab of cement. Weird experience.

by Anonymousreply 3112/13/2012

OP you don't have great discipline. Fatties don't; they just don't.

by Anonymousreply 3212/13/2012

Please. You think starving yourself and/or binging and purging is on account of discipline?

by Anonymousreply 3312/13/2012

What R2 said. He linked to a page with a meal plan AND an exercise plan.

by Anonymousreply 3412/13/2012

People are lean (relatively high lean body mass versus fat mass) because of their lifestyle- which refers to their eating habits and exercise habits. If you eat well (including not overeating) and exercise frequently and regularly as a lifestyle, you are much more likely to be lean.

If you expect to become "lean" by starving yourself for a period of time, you are probably not going to achieve what you want to.

by Anonymousreply 3512/13/2012

My sister has an eating disorder and has for 30 years. She hasn't felt FULL after eating since she was a child. She thinks about food ALL THE TIME and her life revolves around meals and snacks. She counts every calorie, carb and fat gram that goes into her body, and has most of them committed to memory. She has a nice figure, and has a lean, athletic body. Her weight doesn't fluctuate.

My point is that I would never, ever want to live like this. I really don't think she'd blow up if she ate normally, but she can't.

by Anonymousreply 3612/13/2012

Preach R36. It's a hellhole of a life and boring as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 3712/13/2012

R36, I know what you're talking about. I knew I had to quit smoking but I had a terrible history with anorexia and I was afraid if I gained weight it would trigger that craziness.

The hardest part of giving up cigarettes was convincing myself I could let myself be okay if I packed on some pounds. I actually discovered I liked being a little plump and that's where I've stayed. I never gained any more beyond the first six months of quitting, so maybe this is how I was always supposed to be.

I refuse to live a life that revolves around food obsession, from either side of the issue.

by Anonymousreply 3812/13/2012

charlie has spoken!

by Anonymousreply 3912/13/2012

[quote]Skipping meals leads to blowing diets.

It ain't necessarily so. Just because that happens to you doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else. I had a late lunch today and am not hungry now so I'll skip dinner and eat an orange while surfing the net.

by Anonymousreply 4012/13/2012

I agree with R40. The point is to not be too rigid. Rigidly self restricting, indulgent, controlled, whatever. Because then it's not about eating anymore. It's something else.

by Anonymousreply 4112/13/2012

Honestly? 1,000 calories a day and a nice deal of cardio. You can eat whatever you want (white flour, high fat foods, etc.) just as long as it doesn't add up to more than 1,000 calories a day.

And don't forget to lift weights and do toning exercises at the gym. You don't want to have a lot of loose skin when the pounds melt off quickly. And they will. Quickly.

by Anonymousreply 4212/14/2012

R42, so I can have two snickers bars, a bag of chips and a coke?

by Anonymousreply 4312/14/2012

Hugh Jackman is giving this great diet tip on all the talk shows. He lost 25 pounds. He said the secret is to not drink liquids for 36 hours. You will lose 10 pounds of water weight instantly from your cheeks, eyes, neck and look thinner.

by Anonymousreply 4412/14/2012

Maybe you could use your great discipline to learn about nutrition and metabolism.

by Anonymousreply 4512/14/2012

You need 11 calories per pound to maintain your weight.

So if you weigh 150 pounds now, you need 1,650 calories per day. So if you're eating more than this, this is why you're fat.

Even if you're very active, you'll only burn an additional 300 calories.

You simply don't need many calories to live. So decide what you want to weigh. Than multiply that by 11. That is the number of calories you need to consume to reach that weight.

So if you want to be only 130lbs you take 11 X 130 = 1,430 calories.

To lose weight faster, simply eat less. It's not recommended to go lower than 1,200 calories a day, because it's too hard to maintain proper, vitamin and protein requirements. So if you go lower take your vitamins and make sure you eat protein first.

by Anonymousreply 4612/14/2012

R42 comes closest to the truth of things.

Especially if you are pushing 40, and female...if you want to lose weight you better be prepared to eat WAY less. But what's wrong with that? Unless you're an Olympian, you simply don't need too many calories.

Moderate exercise and around 1000-1400 calories per day give or take (no need to be obsessive, just get in the ballpark) will get you where you want to be over time. Just be patient and KEEP WORKING AT IT.

You won't feel like you're starving. TRUST ME PEOPLE, your stomach will shrink. When I first started really watching my diet and cutting back portions, I could eat twice as much as I do now. Now I eat half the amount and I'm totally full. But you absolutely MUST begin to pay attention to the part of your brain saying "I'm full". It's there. If you ignore it you'll be right back to where you started.

by Anonymousreply 4712/14/2012

As a happy Eldergay, I've got to ask: are y'all men? Because it seems like you're a bunch of high school girls. I'm gonna go home and give my husband of 31 years a big wet kiss and tell him I love him.

by Anonymousreply 4812/14/2012

Just smoke a lot of cigarettes and drink a lot of coffee. Skip the food. Maybe a martini at 5 pm after a day of typing.

by Anonymousreply 4912/14/2012

[quote]Hugh Jackman is giving this great diet tip on all the talk shows. He lost 25 pounds. He said the secret is to not drink liquids for 36 hours. You will lose 10 pounds of water weight instantly from your cheeks, eyes, neck and look thinner.

This sounds harmful to your kidneys. It also sounds like a recipe for painful kidney stones.

by Anonymousreply 5012/14/2012

I didn't really need to lose weight, but recently lost a lot because of a change in my diet. I got a juicer, and went on a juice fast for three weeks for health reasons. I'm a vegetarian, so it wasn't that difficult to fast, and it was fantastic. I feel more energetic and more alert. I also lot a lot of weight. I stopped fasting a few months ago, but still use juice as the main component of my daily meals, and I keep losing more weight. If you get a juicer, I recommend spending the extra money and buying a good one; you'll save money in the long run because it will last longer, and because it maximized the juice you get from produce. I also make huge batches of juice at one time and freeze the remainder. I'm aware freezing loses some of the health benefits of fresh juice, but, hell, frozen juice is better than no juice. If you want to lose weight, and get healthy, start juicing!

by Anonymousreply 5112/14/2012

[quote]Hugh Jackman is giving this great diet tip on all the talk shows.

Are you telling me he is not on a steroid regimen when he is preparing for a role?

by Anonymousreply 5212/14/2012

Juicing will make you the opposite of healthy, turns fruits and veg into sugar water and can cause diabetes.

Eat the WHOLE fruit and veg fiber included.

by Anonymousreply 5312/14/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!