Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Modern day North Korea, Iran, or Syria, vs Sadddam's Iraq. Which would you live in?

I'd take Iraq.

by Anonymousreply 2102/28/2015

Iraq definitely the lesser of these evils...

by Anonymousreply 112/12/2012

Iran. Over 60% of their population is under 30 years old. The status quo will fall, and they will get back on the track they were on before the CIA deposed Mossadegh. As Hitchens used to say, this is a massive youth population that has seen through the bullshit of religion. The Ayatollah's grasp can't last forever, not with these demographics. I expect great things from Iran in the decades ahead. The population is very very different than the current rulers. Change will come. The other countries? I don't see the path out for them.

Also it'll be interesting to see how Iran's extremely young population plays off of the USA's aging population in the coming years.

by Anonymousreply 212/12/2012

Interesting take, r2.

by Anonymousreply 312/13/2012

Definitely Iran. Beautiful country.

by Anonymousreply 412/13/2012

Saddam's Iraq was at least a secular state with a highly educated population. Baghdadis were justifiably proud of Mesopotamia's history as a center of Islamic learning, and they were protective of its pre-Islamic heritage.

by Anonymousreply 512/13/2012

North Korea would be the worst. You can still be gay in Iran as long as you aren't open. Check Manhunt and other gay meeting sites and you will see pictures of Iranians on there.

by Anonymousreply 612/13/2012

Yes, I recall watching a video a couple years back about Iran. It is a country to watch in the mid-east.

One thing that shocked me a bit was Tehran. Only images I'd ever seen of that city had mobs in the streets.

But it is now a thriving metropolis. I also note on my blog stats I get quite a few hits from Iran too.

by Anonymousreply 712/13/2012

I cannot even *fathom* why anyone would voluntarily choose to live in North Korea. You'd have to be *extremely* ignorant of both its history and just how completely fucking brainwashed its population is to want to reside there. Baghdad or Tehran is a comparative cakewalk compared to it.

by Anonymousreply 812/13/2012

North Korea and The Congo are probably the only two countries in the whole world that if someone paid me a million bucks to live in them for a year I would slap him in the face and ask if he was trying to kill me.

by Anonymousreply 912/13/2012

R9, I can assure that there are nearly a dozen other African countries nearly as bad as Congo.

by Anonymousreply 1012/13/2012

Iraq, but only if I could be in the middle of an Uday and Qusay sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 1112/14/2012

Definitely not North Korea, where there is no uprising or opposition. Closest to George Orwell's 1984 there.

by Anonymousreply 1212/14/2012

OP = Freeper

by Anonymousreply 1312/14/2012

Iran would be my first choice; such a beautiful country and filled with so much history.

by Anonymousreply 1412/14/2012

Adding to what R2 said, Iran's enormous young population is probably the best antidote to fundamentalist Islamism in the Middle East. They have actually "been there, done that" and they see through the bullshit.

I had a Syrian roommate in college. He was fucking gorgeous and so sweet. He was straight, knew I was gay, and he didn't give a shit. We never played around but he would let me "catch" him naked once in a while (odd for an Arab, actually). He enjoyed being admired. That has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but it's a nice memory.

by Anonymousreply 1512/14/2012

by Anonymousreply 1608/29/2013

All three are EVIL, according to the USGovernment.

by Anonymousreply 1702/27/2015

Syria is secular under Assad

by Anonymousreply 1802/27/2015

Before the government turned Hussein into Hitler, Iraq didn't suck.

Iran is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 1902/27/2015

R13 obviouly saw those weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and knows we needed to get rid of Saddam in order to find his nuclear bombs.

R10 is right about the horrors of other African nations. Gambia is one of the worst. I had a work assignment there for a month and got to see it from the inside. Guina Bissau wasn't much better. Sierra Leone wasn't too bad at that time but several revolutions and civil wars later, it continues to go downhill (and they dislike white people).

I spent several months working in Chile when Pinochet was dictator. Outside of the horrors of what that man was doing to his enemies (unknown to most), there was no crime in the streets for average citizens. It was a very peaceful middle-class society in most cities and towns. You felt safe in moving around with ease. It's strange to read the opinions of people who have never been exposed to anything outside of Podunk.

by Anonymousreply 2002/27/2015

I'd take Iran as my first choice, [italic]easily[/italic] a miles ahead of the rest. I explored that country pretty thoroughly back in 2009/10. Never been to any of the others, but just from what I know: you can't actually leave North Korea and you'd be completely out of touch with the world, and in Syria you could very easily be killed.

I suppose being in Hussein's Iraq might not have been too bad (although I'm sure the Kurds or Assyrians would disagree), but it's a lot more stable in Iran.

by Anonymousreply 2102/28/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!