Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Christine McVie - what's her story?

Wrote so many unbelievable songs, "Everywhere," "Don't Stop," "Songbird," "Over My Head" etc. She was with Fleetwood Mac since 1970. Her haunting voice is like something from a different dimension.

Her vocals on Etta James' song,"I'd Rather Go Blind" are ethereal.

What's her relationship with Stevie Nicks like?

by Chicken Shackreply 3704/10/2013

She's apparently not touring with the rest of the group. I seriously wondered if she had died but I didn't care enough to Google it.

Awful, I know.

by Chicken Shackreply 112/12/2012

She's very private and always hated touring. She didn't mind playing in the studio but touring really took a big toll upon her.

Buckingham and Nicks always hated one another after they ended as lovers.

by Chicken Shackreply 212/12/2012

She left the group in 1998 and moved back to England. I doubt she's in regular contact with Stevie; I think they were fairly close in the '70s.

by Chicken Shackreply 312/12/2012

I actually started this thread because I saw she said she wasn't touring this year.

From wikipedia [quote] In 2012, upon the announcement of Fleetwood Mac's 2012 world tour, Stevie Nicks downplayed the likelihood of McVie ever rejoining the group, stating "She went to England and she has never been back since 1998 ... as much as we would all like to think that she'll just change her mind one day, I don't think it'll happen ... We love her, so we had to let her go."

by Chicken Shackreply 412/12/2012

Yeah, she's been out of the group for a long time. She recorded a decent solo album in 2004, but other than that, she's retired, for all intents & purposes.

I'm a huge Stevie fan, but I couldn't care less about Fleetwood Mac sans Christine. It isn't the same.

by Chicken Shackreply 512/12/2012

Not dead. That's good.

by Chicken Shackreply 612/12/2012

Yes, she and her millions are retired. Don't shed a tear for her - she ain't hurtin'.

by Chicken Shackreply 712/12/2012

OP Christine was supposedly doing more substances because of the stage situation. She even mentioned that she saw the rest of The Mac in London at a show and they looked haggard and tired. Then again she is so opposed to reliving the nightmare of touring and playing live that could be perception even more than reality.

by Chicken Shackreply 812/12/2012

Time for a rock-n-roll gossip thread. Good timing to gear up for tonight's show.

by Chicken Shackreply 912/12/2012

she'll regret not trying at least once to tour or make a song or two with FM. they are an institution that continues to do their thing years after the fact, and I think that's a great thing

by Chicken Shackreply 1012/12/2012

OP, how many more threads will you use "ethereal" in?

by Chicken Shackreply 1112/12/2012

All Christine fans should check out her "Christine Perfect" album. It's the disc she released after Chicken Shack and just before joining Fleetwood Mac.

Did she say anything when Bob Welch died?

by Chicken Shackreply 1212/12/2012

FYI, according to Stevie Nicks, she even sold her piano.

by Chicken Shackreply 1312/12/2012

She rakes in millions sitting at home from all the songs she wrote as part of the group. Why kill herself on the road so John and Mick can eat?

by Chicken Shackreply 1412/12/2012

Yeah, agree that the band doesn't sound the same without her. I think I saw the last tour with her and it was fantastic, late 90s. I heard she owns a castle and a pub in England.

by Chicken Shackreply 1512/12/2012

She is also an entrepreneur being the president of her own mattress company, Sleep Country.

by Chicken Shackreply 1612/12/2012

Julianne Moore should play her in the biopic instead of Vera Farmiga!

by Chicken Shackreply 1812/12/2012

[quote] OP, how many more threads will you use "ethereal" in?

Actually, I haven't used the word ethereal in months...why? Are you going to talk about McVie or not? If not, then please leave.

by Chicken Shackreply 1912/12/2012

For me, It's not that the band doesn't "sound" like FM without Christine, it's that the band doesn't "look" right without her sitting off to the side at the piano. Plus, I loved her voice.

She went through a lot with John McVie before they finally divorced and she seemed to be able to work out her bitterness towards him on that last big reunion tour.

She was also involved with Dennis Wilson the drummer for the Beach Boys who drowned back in 1983. That took a heavy toll on her too.

by Chicken Shackreply 2012/12/2012

One singer and songwriter that deserves much praising is Sandy Denny.

What a pity the new generation seems ignorant about her (and a lot of others as well...)

I'm in my last 20's and fortunately i know her. Thank God for that!

by Chicken Shackreply 2112/12/2012

did she not write over my head?

by Chicken Shackreply 2212/12/2012

Yes, she did R22 - It's about John being a different person when he drank.

by Chicken Shackreply 2312/12/2012

LOL R16!

by Chicken Shackreply 2412/12/2012

I don't know about that R23. She was fucking the FM lighting roadie at the time she wrote that song.

John McVie was a drunk for a long long time. Clapton wrote about the other Bluesbreakers chucking him out on the side of the road after gigs because of his getting too drunk. For Clapton to think he was too drunk (at that time anyway) he must have been pretty fucking horrible.

I'm surprised he's till alive quite frankly. His alcoholism in 1976 would have been old hat to Christine, and "i'm over my head, but it sure feels nice" doesn't quite fit your story. Sounds more like the affair she was writing about.

by Chicken Shackreply 2512/12/2012

"Some thought that Over My Head is about John. They were still married at the time it was written. John's drinking problem has been well-documented; he himself admits he is "not a very good person" when he drinks, belligerent and insensitive. The song may refer strongly to this. Others thought it could possibly refer, at least in part, to Christine's feelings about touring. She was probably tired from the Heroes Are Hard to Find tour, and she wanted to relax at home with John. She may have felt in over her head when touring, but also found parts of it enjoyable.

"You can take me to paradise, And then again you can be cold as ice I'm over my head, But it sure feels nice."

Chris was likely talking about her relationship with John. She is saying that he can make her feel very good, but also very bad-- the extremes of the two emotions. When he is sober, she loves how he makes her feel and how happy they can be together. But when he has been drinking, he is like a completely different person. He treats her badly- he "can be cold as ice." This overwhelms her, but the good is still good enough to make the bad worthwhile. John was the most important person in her life then, and they still had good times together that made the relationship worth holding onto.

"You can take me anytime you like, I'll be around if you think you might love me baby, And hold me tight."

Christine may be saying that she is there for John whenever he wants her. The "you might love me baby" could mean that she feels like sometimes John wants her and sometimes he doesn't. Or, she may be saying that it is easy for John to make her feel great any time he pleases. There are times, though, when she doesn't think that he wants to. She just wants him to hold her.

"Your mood is like a circus wheel, You're changing all the time, Sometimes I can't help but feel, That I'm wasting all of my time."

This is probably the most telling line about John's and Christine's relationship. John is on a constant cycle of being drunk, then sober. She never knows which it will be or what to expect. It is frustrating her that he keeps going around in circles. It could be getting to the point where she can't tolerate much more. Has she wasted all the time she invested in her relationship with John? She may feel that she loves him, but he will never give her back what she needs, so it's been a waste of time.

"Think I'm looking on the dark side, But everyday you hurt my pride, I'm over my head, But it sure feels nice, I'm over my head, But it sure feels nice."

Chris might be saying here that John has a dark side (when he is drunk). When he is dark, he hurts her and makes her feel bad about herself. So, she feels like she can't handle it sometimes, but in the end, she is willing to take the bad to have the good. She could also mean that she looks too much on the dark side of John and focuses on that. Her pride gets hurt because she will have to be willing to accept John's unpleasant side if she wants to stay with him. Her pride tells her that she shouldn't have to take that; however, she realizes that it is part of John. The good part feels so nice that she is going to stay."

by Chicken Shackreply 2612/12/2012

McVie always seemed like a very laid back sort. After her divorce she had an affair with the incredible sleazebag Dennis Wilson. Obviously she doesn't need the money or the limelight, so she's not interested in going on tour with her former bandmates. Good for her.

I don't think she and Nicks were ever what you would call close friends, even during Fleetwood Mac's heydey. They were just co-workers.

by Chicken Shackreply 2712/12/2012

"Got A Hold On Me"

by Chicken Shackreply 2812/12/2012

Thanks, R28. I love that song. And I have always loved Christine's voice.

by Chicken Shackreply 2912/12/2012

She wrote "You Make Loving Fun" about the lighting director, not "Over My Head."

by Chicken Shackreply 3112/12/2012

"Sugar Daddy" is up and peppy, love it. Wish they'd do some of her songs on their current tour, but of course Nicks wouldn't ever allow it.

by Chicken Shackreply 3204/10/2013

I would think that touring would be a lot of fun for a star like Christine. You get to make a ton of money. You get the adulation from the thousands of fans that come to see you sing the same songs over and over again. You don't have to lift a finger as everything is done for you except when you go on stage to perform. The most you have to worry about is getting on the plane or in the bus on time.

You get the very best of drugs or booze if you are into that scene. You probably don't have to pay for any of it either. You can get laid by the best looking male groupies out there without having to call them the next day. You can ignore your bandmates if they bug you. You tour for a while, then go back and relax in your castle for a long time.

What is the downside?

by Chicken Shackreply 3304/10/2013

I saw them in concert in 1997 - it was the best show i have ever been to. I could have touched Christine we were sitting so close. It was amazing to see/hear her live. I guess the reason she would seem so completely immersed in the keyboard/microphone was because she didn't like the crowds.

by Chicken Shackreply 3404/10/2013

I think she was overshadowed by Nicks (she never had any success as a solo artist like Stevie did) and that's the reason she's not on the tour. I'm really sick of Stevie now, she's constantly toured for the last 10 years. Or so it seems, she had that one with Rod Stewart, she had a solo tour, she's on tour with Mac now.

by Chicken Shackreply 3504/10/2013

R33, she's in her mid-60s, and she wasn't know to party since the early '80s. I expect that she prefers to garden and visit her nieces and nephews, and the like. Also, she's married to a much younger man so I'm sure she's getting her business taken care of just fine.

by Chicken Shackreply 3604/10/2013

I always throught Sugar Daddy was her best song. I wish she had written more upbeat numbers during her FM days.

Oh Daddy is another favorite. Dark, moody, and lovely with Buckingham's backing vocals.

by Chicken Shackreply 3704/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!