Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation

Betty White, Hot, CLeveland

Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock

Ty Burrell, Modern Family

Louis CK, Louie

Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory

Eric Stonestreet, Modern Family

by Anonymousreply 112/12/2012

Why did you have to wait to post them and not put them in your original post??? It's not as if it's a spoiler.

by Anonymousreply 212/12/2012

[bold]Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role[/bold]

DANIEL DAY-LEWIS / Abraham Lincoln – “LINCOLN” (Touchstone Pictures)

JOHN HAWKES / Mark – “THE SESSIONS” (Fox Searchlight)

HUGH JACKMAN / Jean Valjean – “LES MISÉRABLES” (Universal Pictures)

DENZEL WASHINGTON / Whip Whitaker – “FLIGHT” (Paramount Pictures)

[bold]Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role[/bold]

JESSICA CHASTAIN / Maya – “ZERO DARK THIRTY” (Columbia Pictures)

MARION COTILLARD / Stephanie – “RUST AND BONE” (Sony Pictures Classics)

HELEN MIRREN / Alma Reville – “HITCHCOCK” (Fox Searchlight)

NAOMI WATTS / Maria – “THE IMPOSSIBLE” (Summit Entertainment)

[bold]Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role[/bold]

ALAN ARKIN / Lester Siegel – “ARGO” (Warner Bros. Pictures)

JAVIER BARDEM / Silva – “SKYFALL” (Columbia Pictures)

ROBERT DE NIRO / Pat, Sr. – “SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK” (The Weinstein Company)

PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN / Lancaster Dodd – “THE MASTER” (The Weinstein Company)

TOMMY LEE JONES / Thaddeus Stevens – “LINCOLN” (Touchstone Pictures)

[bold]Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role[/bold]

SALLY FIELD / Mary Todd Lincoln – “LINCOLN” (Touchstone Pictures)

ANNE HATHAWAY / Fantine – “LES MISÉRABLES” (Universal Pictures)

HELEN HUNT / Cheryl – “THE SESSIONS” (Fox Searchlight)

NICOLE KIDMAN / Charlotte Bless – “THE PAPERBOY” (Millennium Entertainment)

MAGGIE SMITH / Muriel Donnelly – “THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL” (Fox Searchlight)

[bold]Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture[/bold]

[bold]ARGO (Warner Bros. Pictures)[/bold] BEN AFFLECK / Tony Mendez ALAN ARKIN / Lester Siegel KERRY BISHÉ / Kathy Stafford KYLE CHANDLER / Hamilton Jordan RORY COCHRANE / Lee Schatz BRYAN CRANSTON / Jack O’Donnell CHRISTOPHER DENHAM / Mark Lijek TATE DONOVAN / Bob Anders CLEA DUVALL / Cora Lijek VICTOR GARBER / Ken Taylor JOHN GOODMAN / John Chambers SCOOT McNAIRY / Joe Stafford CHRIS MESSINA / Malinov

[bold]THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL (Fox Searchlight)[/bold] JUDI DENCH / Evelyn Greenslade CELIA IMRIE / Madge Hardcastle BILL NIGHY / Douglas Ainslie DEV PATEL / Sonny Kapoor RONALD PICKUP / Norman Cousins MAGGIE SMITH / Muriel Donnelly TOM WILKINSON / Graham Dashwood PENELOPE WILTON / Jean Ainslie

[bold]LINCOLN (Touchstone Pictures)[/bold] DANIEL DAY-LEWIS / Abraham Lincoln SALLY FIELD / Mary Todd Lincoln JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT / Robert Todd Lincoln HAL HOLBROOK / Preston Blair TOMMY LEE JONES / Thaddeus Stevens JAMES SPADER / W.N. Bilbo DAVID STRATHAIRN / William Seward

by Anonymousreply 412/12/2012

Thanks for your discreet post, OP. Even though it's not a spoiler, it sets a good example for others. Not that they'll follow it, of course.

by Anonymousreply 612/12/2012

Is it sacrilege to say "enough" with this Betty White thing?

by Anonymousreply 712/12/2012

[quote]Not nominating Joaquin Phoenix is a joke, right?

I'd swap out Bradley Cooper for Joaquin.

by Anonymousreply 812/12/2012

Sad to see Game of Thrones shut out of the TV drama category.

by Anonymousreply 912/12/2012

Maggie nominated for two!

I'm surprised at Bardem being nominated. I thought Dench was more likely to be nominated for Skyfall.

Kidman also a surprise given how little buzz there is around that movie. I'm dying to see it but it feels like I'm the only one.

by Anonymousreply 1012/12/2012

Maggie Smith is actually nominated for three SAG Awards, R10: Best Actress in a TV Drama, Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture and Best Ensemble in a Motion Picture.

by Anonymousreply 1112/12/2012

Always the same names... It's as if there are about 30 actors in the whole western world.

by Anonymousreply 1212/12/2012

No The New Normal noms for actor in a comedy - will the DL explode?

by Anonymousreply 1312/12/2012

I was hoping for a surprise mention for Ann Dowd (Compliance). That fifth spot in Best Supporting Actress is ripe for a surprise nomination this year, just like Kidman's.

by Anonymousreply 1412/12/2012

I thought Hoffman was good in "The Master" but Phoenix's shtick wore out real fast.

by Anonymousreply 1512/12/2012

No Lena Dunham?

Laura Dern and Enlightened was robbed.

by Anonymousreply 1612/12/2012

Actually glad that Hoffman is the only one nominated from The Master. Phoenix is histrionic (although how else could anyone play that part? still, Hoffman is much more effective; Phoenix's role is per se overdone) and Adams gives one of her least memorable performances in an ill-defined role.

So Master is ok. What makes no sense are:

No nominations for Amour, especially for Riva.

And they nominated Bardem in Skyfall (hammy and not in a good way, great actor but Jesus Christ not for this!) but not Dench (who gives one of the year's best performances) - now, that's just so wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1712/12/2012

Enlightened is continually robbed. Beautifully written and acted show. Perhaps too good.

by Anonymousreply 1812/12/2012

[quote]Is it sacrilege to say "enough" with this Betty White thing?

I feel the same way about Maggie Smith. She's been playing the same ol' grumpy curmudgeon for like 30 years (i.e. SISTER ACT, TEA WITH MUSSOLINI, GOSFORD PARK) and she's nominated TWICE for that same character -- in DOWNTON ABBEY and MARIGOLD HOTEL.

by Anonymousreply 1912/12/2012

R2, because long posts go inside

by Anonymousreply 2012/12/2012

So Maggie Smith is nominated FOUR times. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 2112/12/2012

bradley Cooper is robbing other actors. He's knocking out Ewan McGregor.

I told you guys that Naomi Watts would be a darkhorse.

by Anonymousreply 2212/12/2012

R22, I think that Naomi Watts is the most vulnerable here. She could be replaced by either Emanuelle Riva or Quvenzhané Wallis come Oscar nomination day. Remember that Wallis was ineligible for the SAG Awards, so she wouldn't be placing here. I also think that Marion Cotillard is on shaky ground (although this is a big boost for her campaign).

by Anonymousreply 2312/12/2012

[quote]Not nominating Joaquin Phoenix is a joke, right?

No he recently went on an rant about awards so why should his fellow actors nominated him if he hates it so much?

by Anonymousreply 2412/12/2012

Wasn't Dern nominated last year? She won the GG last year.

by Anonymousreply 2512/12/2012

Don't they have to be SAG members? Riva prolly wasn't eligible.

by Anonymousreply 2612/12/2012

I eat old people's excrement.

by Anonymousreply 2812/12/2012

Bradley Cooper got me through SLP. I think he deserves his nomination. De Niro, on the other hand, was just doing warmed-over hammy schtick he's done before.

by Anonymousreply 2912/12/2012

Phoenix is extremely talented and capable. Which is what makes the self-indulgence and pretentious actory-ness of his performance in The Master so, to use a word from another one of his most self-indulgent and actory performances (in Gladiator), "vex"ing!

by Anonymousreply 3012/12/2012

It is unbelievable Joaquin Phoenix wasn't nominated. Unreal.

by Anonymousreply 3112/12/2012

Nurse Jackie is still around?

by Anonymousreply 3212/12/2012

Helen Hunt's character is named CHERYL!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3312/12/2012

I don't think these will match up with the Oscar noms. Hugh Jackman will be replaced by Phoenix, Kidman won't be in, Mirren won't be in (swap with Wallis or Riva), Bardem probably won't be in. Not that they aren't deserving. What this means is that there were a lot of great performances this year, so someone is going to be left out, especially in the jam packed supporting categories.

by Anonymousreply 3412/12/2012

R33, you beat me to it! Cheryl!!!!

I think Enlightened maybe missed a season, it seems like forever ago it was on?

by Anonymousreply 3512/12/2012

No really, I love Maggie as much as anyone but her performance in "Marigold" was the least of all the good performances in that film. Tom Wilkinson, for one, was beautiful in it. Glad it got an ensemble nom!

Hated Phoenix in "The Master". Hoffman well deserves his nom.

And Tommy Lee Jones is more deserving of a "Lincoln" nom because...???? Sheesh. Much better supporting male performances than his in that film.

by Anonymousreply 3612/12/2012

These are always such stupid awards anyway. Like the first order of business in a actor's union is to have another awards show. So dumb.

by Anonymousreply 3712/12/2012

I hated The Master. There's one good scene -- Phoenix walking back and forth between the window and the wall -- but the rest is so tedious. Phoenix, in particular, is annoying. It's one of those performances that tells me more about Phoenix's own personal foibles than it does about the character.

And R34, you can't be serious about the Academy not nominating Jackman. They'll drop Hawkes or Cooper if they drop anyone.

Actually a Cooper snub is probably likely. Akin to Wahlberg's snub for the last David Russell movie, 'The Fighter.'

by Anonymousreply 3812/12/2012

Everybody in The Academy votes for all categories but only actors nominate actors, Sound nominates sound and so forth, so these could be the Oscar noms and R34, you might as well leave the conversation if you think Jackman wont be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 3912/12/2012

I have three friends who were chosen to be nominators this year. They actually watched all the screeners at home and seemed to take the process very seriously. I watched Les Miz, and The Paperboy with one and I can tell you he voted for Kidman. It's the kind of no holds barred performance he likes. I thought it was Black Swan acting- trashy and fun- but an award?

The Oscars are much more political and there will be differences, but the SAG nominations are close to what the Emmys used to be- older people with free time voting for what they actually like.

by Anonymousreply 4012/12/2012

No one needs to "leave the conversation" because they're doubting Jackman's chances at an Oscar nomination, Jacintha the Judge and Jury of the World at R39. I see his SAG nomination akin to Richard Gere's for Chicago a decade ago--pulled along by the strength of his film, but missing out come Oscar nominations morning. I'd even say that he's shakier than Bradley Cooper who is one of the best things about SLP. The Best Actor category this year is the most competitive category. Anyone could make a good argument for including any one of 8-9 gentlemen.

(My gut is telling me that Jackman's spot goes to a surprise nominee, someone like Jean-Louis Trintignant.)

by Anonymousreply 4112/12/2012

Is Bradley Cooper gonna get an Oscar nomination?

Really, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 4212/12/2012

Give me a break - they aren't going to drop Hawkes for Jackman.

by Anonymousreply 4312/12/2012

Jackman will be nominated. He's the fucking lead that ties every thread of the film together, so comparing him to Gere is ridiculous.

This is regardless of whether or not the film is any good though. The hype is already there. Unlike The Sessions. Hawkes might get it cos he's playing someone with polio, but the hype around that film burst when reviews came out.

by Anonymousreply 4412/12/2012

R44, so was Joseph Fiennes in Shakespeare in Love. So was Paul Giamatti in Sideways. Where were their Oscar nominations? While supporting players in their respective films were nominated (and won) by the way. Besides, the Academy doesn't like being TOLD who they have to nominate. All I'm saying is that I think Jackman's position is not as strong as you might think.

by Anonymousreply 4512/12/2012

[quote]HELEN HUNT / Cheryl

So that's who Cheryl is! We should have figured that out years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4612/12/2012

I'm basing my idea that Jackman could be dropped on the hunch that Les Mis will underperform. SAG nominations have typically included "popular mainstream" performances that are ignored by the Academy. They're ASSUMING Jackman should be nominated. SAG incorrectly had Hillary Swank in Conviction, Gere in Chicago, and WINS by Viola Davis, Meryl in Doubt, Annette Bening in American Beauty, Zelwegger in Chicago, Ed Harris, Eddie Murphy and Albert Brooks in supporting roles.

I think Riva will be nominated for Actress while Jean Louis Trintignant, while a legend, will not be. Denzel could be dropped as well, I feel like Flight came and went and will be even more forgotten by Oscar time. I find it hard to believe they'll ignore Amy Adams in favor of someone like Kidman in one of the most panned movies of the year.

by Anonymousreply 4712/12/2012

[quote]you might as well leave the conversation if you think Jackman wont be nominated.

Back at you if you think Phoenix won't be nominated, or more importantly, by any stretch of the imagination shouldn't be.

by Anonymousreply 4812/12/2012

Would love to see Spader get a nod for "Lincoln", one of the best performances in the film, but it won't happen.

by Anonymousreply 5012/12/2012

I cannot see Denzel or Cooper getting an Oscar nod.

Ewan Mcgregor for the win. Plus he has great hair.

Where is our Keanu for best documentary?

by Anonymousreply 5112/12/2012

I agree r50. While I don't expect Spader to get an oscar nomination for Lincoln he gave an outstanding performance.

by Anonymousreply 5212/12/2012

Unfortunate that the GAME OF THRONES cast wasn't nominated. I would replace HOMELAND with GoT. I just started watching HOMELAND and even though I enjoy it, as far as the critics and the Emmys are concerned, I do find it a tad overrated and the acting, though good, is not all that. I've seen better on 24 and Claire Danes' performance is ANNOYING AS HELL.

They could've at least gave Peter Dinkledge a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 5312/12/2012

As someone alluded to above, SAG has a relatively small nominating committee. The whole of SAG does not select the nominees whereas the whole of the actors' branch of the Academy does select the nominees.

Also for SAG the film enters the actor in the category they want, e.g., supporting actor rather than lead actor. That's why Jennifer Connelly lost a SAG for A Beautiful Mind. The film's admin person handling the SAG nom mistakenly submitted her nom for Lead Actress and though she got the nom - probably supplanting Nicole that year - she lost the win. She would most assuredly have won in the Supporting Actress category.

I, too, am rather sick of all the awards for Maggie Smith. She is fine in Downton Abbey but it isn't anything special. I was surprised once when I saw her some years back on Charlie Rose - she wasn't very bright or insightful. Unless that is a result of her age.

by Anonymousreply 5412/12/2012

For some reason, it annoys me how the SAGs use the terms Male Actor and Female Actor. What's wrong with just Actor and Actress? The Oscars don't do that, thank God!

by Anonymousreply 5512/12/2012

Emmanuelle Riva was ROBBED !!!

Best performance of the year, male OR female.

And dear xenophobic r49: please be advised that Jean-Louis Trintignant was the lead in "A Man and a Woman", one of the biggest mainstream hits of the 1960s - in the United States of America.

The Academy does know who he is, much like they knew who Max von Sydow was last season.

Not saying JLT will get in; if he won't, it will be because the field is very crowded this year.

And now, r49, go back to watching your favorite film starring The Rock.

by Anonymousreply 5612/12/2012

Oh, and I agree with everybody here that Maggie Smith has played the same character over and over, ever since "A Room with a View".

She should take a page from Meryl's book, and challenge herself with a new character every single time she does a movie.

MS is one of the most overrated actors out there, and that is due to the upper-class background of her roles. We are conditioned to revere the upper-class, not tear them down, and consequently she receives nom after nom for the exact same performance, questions unasked. It's the same impulse that makes so many Americans look up to the Queen; MS is an extension of what QE II embodies.

Compare this with communist Vanessa Redgrave, who often plays lower income characters ("Song for Marion" just this year), but who is shut out every single awards season. (And no, her anti-zionist comments in 1978 have nothing to do with that these days).

Happy Naomi Watts got a nom btw.

And Nicole Kidman: gross!

Enough with her already.

by Anonymousreply 5712/12/2012

I don't agree with all your opinions (I was pleasantly surprised by Nicole Kidman's nomination, for example), but I quite adore you, Streep troll. (And I couldn't agree with you more about Maggie Smith.) Don't ever change.

by Anonymousreply 5812/12/2012

R59, you sounds deranged.

by Anonymousreply 6012/12/2012

"A Man and a Woman" was a cultural and zeitgeist phenomenon, and Anouk Aimee was nominated for best actress.

It was a big deal at the time.

And thanks for the support, r58. Of course I won't change!

by Anonymousreply 6112/12/2012

"A Man and a Woman" also won best foreign language film and I think also original screenplay.

For a foreign film, it was a big hit with the academy.

by Anonymousreply 6412/12/2012

It was also nominated for Best Director, so it got 3 big noms (Actress, Director, Original Screenplay) plus Foreign Language Film, and won 2 (Foreign Film and Screenplay). That's pretty impressive for a foreign film, especially back then, I reckon, when the Oscars were still mainly an All-American affair, with the occasional Brit.

by Anonymousreply 6612/12/2012

Exactly, r64.

And don't forget the original score, which is a signature melody of the 1960s - to this day. That one alone made the film famous, in the USA.

It was a cultural phenomenon, as far as foreign films go. Only "Jules et Jim" and Bergman/Fellini could compare with its reach.

And it certainly put JLT and Anouk Aimee on the map.

by Anonymousreply 6712/12/2012

There is a difference between a cultural phenomenon and a well liked movie. A Man and A Woman was a surprise hit that did well with critics and the Academy, but hardly a cultural phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 7012/12/2012

JLT was also in "Z", Foreign Film winner and Best Picture nominee; "Three Colors: Red", a Best Director/Best Screenplay nominee from '94, and the classics "And God Created Woman" and "The Conformist". MANY Academy members will know this and many others will at least know the name.

by Anonymousreply 7112/12/2012

I thought this was suppose to be Leo's year? He has been totally ignored for his performance in Django Unchained. What happened?

by Anonymousreply 7312/12/2012

"No Meryl loon, people can't stand you ruining thread after thread with your crazy bullshit"

anti-loon, please meet r58 and r60.

by Anonymousreply 7412/12/2012

R73, "The Great Gatsby" got moved to the summer. That was supposed to be his major Oscar role. "Django" was just a fallback.

by Anonymousreply 7512/12/2012

r70, it was a cultural hit precisely because it was a hit with the Academy, at a time when the Oscars meant more to the public, due to lack of competing media (the internet, etc.) -- cultural attention wasn't fractured like it is today.

Also, the musical score became a hit, and Anouk Aimee was a big star in women's mags, a fashion icon, an "it" girl, all through this film.

The cultural zeitgeist shone on this film, and touched a nerve with the intelligent/cultured public, back when the mass movie going audience was still intelligent.

Furthermore, the very title of "Man and Woman" did all the work for the film. It cut through, spoke to everybody, and can even be seen a prelude to films like "Love Story", which was made after the success of this film - "A Man and a Woman" set the template.

by Anonymousreply 7612/12/2012

Not true, r75. Django was always supposed to be his Oscar vehicle: A villain in a Tarantino film (Waltz won for playing a villain in the last Tarantino film).

From the early reviews it seems like Waltz is the MVP with Jackson a close second. Dicaprio will get a globe nod tomorrow, though.

by Anonymousreply 7812/12/2012

"Oscar will not be smiling on this particular surrender monkey. The Academy had more than its fill last year with the French nonsense."

Don't you just love the Weinstein Co. troll?

High-powered publicists and Entertainment Weekly decide the awards and nominations. The Game of Thrones PR staff needs to try harder, so a deserving show can win.

by Anonymousreply 7912/12/2012

As a member of the SAG Nominating Committee, I have to admit I never saw Django. I wish I had but the screenings were scheduled very late... only within the last week. And I'd already scheduled other screenings on the available dates.

Bad planning/campaigning on someone's part.

by Anonymousreply 8012/12/2012

Trintignant is more well known to film buffs than Riva. Until "Amour" she was mostly known for "Hiroshima Mon Amour".

She has the flashy, more baity role in the movie but both deserve oscar noms for their brilliant performances, but if Riva gets in she will not win. Despite the subject, "Amour" is still a Haneke film and that's probably why it will also lose foreign film to the academy-friendly "Untouchables".

by Anonymousreply 8112/12/2012

I agree r79. In spite of it proving in its first two seasons alone that GoT is one of the best TV shows ever, it's still unfortunately considered by some in the entertainment media as just another genre show not to be taken seriously. The oh so anal and foolish EW TV “Critic” Ken Tucker just left it off of his Top 10 list but I guess that can’t damage his credibility more than it already is. The Emmys has at least nominated GoT for Best Drama two years in a row but couldn’t find it to give it well earned nods for writing and directing. GoT, with the exception of Peter Dinkledge, has an all British cast that’s can do more with just a look and two lines of dialogue than most American actors can do with a whole scene. Shame on SAG!

by Anonymousreply 8212/12/2012

r80, did you vote for Emmanuelle Riva? And if not, how could you not ??

I can't believe Helen Mirren got in for a weak performance in a boring film.

Riva MOPS THE FLOOR with everybody nominated for best actress.

by Anonymousreply 8312/12/2012

[quote]I love that they nominated Nicole Kidman in The Paperboy. Surprised no McConaughy. Not nominating Joaquin Phoenix is a joke, right?

How can they not nominate Matthew McConaughy for Magic Mike? What were they thinking??

by Anonymousreply 8412/12/2012

r81, it is a very accessible Haneke film, though.

Unlike The Piano Teacher or White Ribbon, it speaks about something every Academy member will likely experience (losing a parent, to a natural cause of death).

It comes without a film score, like all his films, but that is about the only 'harsh' quality of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 8512/12/2012

I did vote for Riva, Streep Troll. I did not, however, vote for JLT. He was certainly in my top 10, but not in my top 5. And they only let you vote for 5 nominees.

by Anonymousreply 8612/12/2012

No way will Jackman not be nominated for the Oscar. His segment on 60 Minutes didn't include one of his best moments in it ("What Have I Done?") for nothing-it proves he's capable of powerful acting.

by Anonymousreply 8712/12/2012

Thanks, r86. You did the right thing then!

Riva better get an Oscar nom, or else...

Who were the other 4 actresses you voted for?

by Anonymousreply 8812/12/2012

"Riva MOPS THE FLOOR with everybody nominated for best actress."

Great! It will be nice and clean when I accept the oscar.

by Anonymousreply 8912/12/2012

One reason I want Field to win the oscar:

The Streep troll's head will explode upon Field clutching the trophy. Either that, or it will have a full on psychotic breakdown.

by Anonymousreply 9112/12/2012

The big support today for Silver Linings Playbook puts Lawrence ahead of the rest after losing a little bit of her front-runner status to Riva and Chastain.

She has the comedy globe in the bag. She'll probably win the SAG, since the actors seem to love her movie, and then the Oscar. At 22, will that make her the second youngest best actress winner after Marlee Matlin or am I forgetting someone?

by Anonymousreply 9212/12/2012

Bravo Nicole!

by Anonymousreply 9312/12/2012

R91, that's why I kinda want Field to win, too. Not only would Field have tied Streep's 2 Leads, 1 Supporting count, but she would have done it at 3-0 to Streep's 3-17.

by Anonymousreply 9412/12/2012

r90 is exhibit A of what I described at r57.

Thanks for proving my point, r57.

Oh, and if Smith would be as good as Redgrave in those parts, how come she *never tries her hand* at these roles? Dench too challenges herself with disparate roles. But not MS! If one 77 yo British actress can get different roles, why not the other 77 yo British actress?

Not only is MS overrated, but she's also quite lazy. And classist, it seems.

r91, I'm afraid that won't happen (me breaking down).

I won't be surprised if they make yet another poor decision - I mean Clooney, Witherspoon, Bullock, Kidman, Berry all in the space of the last ten years..

I certainly don't expect much from the Academy these days. Well, at least they got Streep right this year. And they brought Cotillard to our attention. Two good decisions that barely excuse their terrible choices of recent years past.

by Anonymousreply 9512/12/2012

I think Field has a real shot of winning it. She's well liked in Hollywood. Geffen and Hanks are close friends of hers. Julia Roberts adores her. Spielberg and Day Lewis are in her corner. She has the big shots.

I like Hathaway, but I'm completely turned off by her obvious campaigning, which is not coming off good at all. I think people have gotten tired of these blatant, desperate PR campaigns that have cropped up in the last few years. Although in Hathaway's defense, it worked for Kate Winslet and Melissa Leo, so you can't fault her for trying.

by Anonymousreply 9612/12/2012

Oh, r94.

Because Streep amassing 14 nominations and 3 wins is proof of her shortcomings,

while Field with 3 wins and ZERO further nominations proves she's a more accomplished actress.

Field lucked out three times, and has turned in numerous laughable and borderline offensive performances (Hello, "Not Without My Daughter") for the rest of her career. Not to mention an embarrassing acceptance speech in 1985.

Streep's work is stellar 90 % of the time.

Needless to say, we must demonize a woman this talented, and elevate a lesser actress to greatness who clearly doesn't deserve it - to feel secure.

How predictable.

by Anonymousreply 9712/12/2012

Hathaway seems to be the Kate Winslet of 2012: former Golden Girl turning off voters and fans with her current "brass".

by Anonymousreply 9812/12/2012

When do the screeners get mailed?

by Anonymousreply 9912/12/2012

Here's my list, Streep Troll. I almost switched Knightley for Cotillard. I really liked Karenina.

by Anonymousreply 10012/12/2012

But, uhhh, R98, Winslet actually won an Oscar. And so did Jamie Foxx, who's not exactly beloved.

by Anonymousreply 10112/12/2012

"Well, at least they got Streep right this year."

For a movie that no one saw, and no one remembers.

"Streep's work is stellar 90 % of the time."

And it's a shame that the 10% of shit has occured within the last ten years.

We can forgive Field for NOT WITHOUT MY DAUGHTER. It's not wearing pigtails while clomping through a field singing ABBA songs.

by Anonymousreply 10212/12/2012

"Deadline: Hollywood - witnesses report an elderly overweight man set himself on fire outside the Kodak Theater tonight as Sally Field accepted her third Academy Award for her role in Lincoln. Witnesses said the man was babbling incoherently and wearing a shirt featuring a photo of Meryl Streep in the movie 'She-Devil'. On hearing Field's name called, he doused himself in clarified butter and ignited himself. The Academy has not commented on the incident."

by Anonymousreply 10412/12/2012

Streep's work in IT'S COMPLICATED is as embarrassing as anything that Field has done. And I say that as a big Steep (and Field) fan.

by Anonymousreply 10512/12/2012

I was expecting Anthony Hopkins' name, then I realized, like Joaquin Phoenix, he railed against the oscar process. Vanessa Redgrave isn't being offered choice roles because of that 1970's incident. It's similar to their ignorance of native americans after Brando had the Filipina/German actress dressed in Indian regalia refuse his oscar for "The Godfather". The academy has a long memory! (Not that Phoenix cares a rat's behind!)

by Anonymousreply 10612/12/2012

When do the screeners get mailed?

by Anonymousreply 10712/18/2012

Come here, Norman. Hurry up. The Meryl loons! The Meryl loons! They're welcoming us back.

by Anonymousreply 10812/18/2012

I attended a screening of Django last week. Leo is very, very good in this. I don't much like him as a leading man. I find his performances to be soulless and constipated, but he really excels in this.

It's a great role, the writing is amazing, and he really fearlessly cuts loose and tears into it. The fact that it is so different from anything he's ever done will work in his favor.

When Django is released and the word gets out, he'll start getting more momentum for this. Waltz is good, yes, but it doesn't even approach what he did in Inglorious Basterds.

by Anonymousreply 10912/18/2012

Surprised Anthony Hopkins didn't get nominated for Hitchcock. I thought he was great. Also, Elizabeth McGovern had her strongest season on Downton Abbey with the episode after Sybil died but didn't get a supporting nom.

I liked Silver Linings Playbook but I don't think Bradley Cooper deserved a nomination. Jackie Weaver should've been nominated, though....

by Anonymousreply 11001/17/2013

Lincoln screeners got mailed out this week to voters. This was unexpected.

by Anonymousreply 11101/26/2013

Does anyone know where this will be streamed? I don't have cable.

by Anonymousreply 11201/27/2013

Linky, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 11301/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!