Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Kathryn Bigelow, the ultimate cougar?

Kathryn Bigelow, 61, dated her screenwriter Mark Boal, 39, who wrote both The Hurt Locker and Zera Dark Thirty. The two have since separated and are trying to keep their relationship quiet while promoting ZDT.

by Anonymousreply 5712/12/2012

Did she fuck Jeremy Renner?

by Anonymousreply 112/12/2012

I think she looks fantastic for her age. She's 61?? wow.

by Anonymousreply 212/12/2012

Love her

by Anonymousreply 312/12/2012

Guess she got away from Cameron before he had a chance to suck the life out of her like the current wife.

by Anonymousreply 412/12/2012

Kathryn Bigelow, deuce gigolo.

by Anonymousreply 512/12/2012

The Duchess of Alba is the ultimate cougar.

by Anonymousreply 612/12/2012

r6 speaks the truth

by Anonymousreply 712/12/2012

[quote]Did she fuck Jeremy Renner?

You kidding, right?

by Anonymousreply 812/12/2012

I don't think so r1

by Anonymousreply 912/12/2012

I read that her new project justifies torture.

by Anonymousreply 1012/12/2012

[quote]The Duchess of Alba is the ultimate cougar

The Duchess of Alba is actually the female nosferatu

by Anonymousreply 1112/12/2012

Movies with strange, hard to remember names

by Anonymousreply 1212/12/2012

Her films are boring as is she!

by Anonymousreply 1312/12/2012

Movies hard to sit through!

by Anonymousreply 1412/12/2012

If the man is approaching 40, the woman is no cougar no matter how old she is.

by Anonymousreply 1512/12/2012

She totally bought in to the torture meme. Too bad she is talented but I thought the Hurt Locker was kind of boring.

by Anonymousreply 1712/12/2012

What r15 said. Does "cougar" simply mean any woman who is older than the man she's dating, even if the "cub" is pushing 40? Yet another meaningless term, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 1812/12/2012

R16 Kathryn Bigelow doesn't want people to refer to her as a "female director", but as a director.

by Anonymousreply 1912/12/2012

the reason she gets plaudits is because her subject matter is not typically female - war - and that's out, she has no recognizable style (witness her personal appearance) nor particular gift for storytelling. She'd be nowhere were it not for her connections.

by Anonymousreply 2012/12/2012

r19 that's what r16 said.

by Anonymousreply 2112/12/2012

[quote]Kathryn Bigelow doesn't want people to refer to her as a "female director", but as a director.

I fail to see how that conflicts with feminist ideals. But successful women do tend to become successful by joining the "boys' club," which she seems to have done.

by Anonymousreply 2212/12/2012

Link r23?

by Anonymousreply 2412/12/2012

She's too rich to care about "feminist" ideals anyway, so it makes sense she doesn't mention them.

by Anonymousreply 2512/12/2012

r22 is right. You must be approved by the boys club. You think she would have won for a love story? Nope, her chances increased for making a macho war movie (that I loved and loved that she won over James C)

by Anonymousreply 2612/12/2012

r21, that post doesn't equal each other. In fact it's the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 2812/12/2012

I'm not your personal Google, helpless r24. I paid attention to the media surrounding her two years ago after she won; you should have as well.

by Anonymousreply 2912/12/2012

In fact it's not, and I explained why at r23.

by Anonymousreply 3012/12/2012

Again, not unusual behavior for a woman trying to achieve membership in the boys' club. That's her right, but I don't see anything particularly wrong with wanting to celebrate the strides women have made, either.

by Anonymousreply 3112/12/2012

In other words: r23/r29 is completely full of horseshit and is much too lazy to substantiate his OWN claims, so you're better off ignoring his points entirely.

by Anonymousreply 3212/12/2012

[quote]Standing on the stage of the Kodak Theatre Sunday night as the first woman ever to win an Oscar for directing, Bigelow, 58, thanked her screenwriter, her producers, and her agent, but she raised no girl-power rallying cry, made no feminist fist bump.

[quote]International Women's Day has come and gone. I doubt filmmaker Kathryn Bigelow was celebrating. She became the first women to win a best director Academy Award the night before, but she didn't do much to acknowledge the big breakthrough in her acceptance speech. Not that this was a big surprise. Bigelow has spent her entire career playing down her gender, offering some variation on the theme "I'm a filmmaker, period," many times, consistently refusing to be a poster girl for feminist developments.

by Anonymousreply 3312/12/2012

Bigelow does not like working with women, so it's no surprise she would not want to be part of any "Woman's Power" celebration.

by Anonymousreply 3412/12/2012

Now, was that so very hard? But you have given us no source.

by Anonymousreply 3512/12/2012

I don't think "Point Break" or "Near Dark" were all that.

by Anonymousreply 3612/12/2012

Guys have you seen 'The Weight of Water'. I really liked it and i think it is very underrated.

Is 'Strange Days' as good as they say that it is? I haven't seen it yet, i have doubts for that movie, i have the feeling that it is boring...

by Anonymousreply 3812/12/2012

What is your favourite Kathryn Bigelow movie?

by Anonymousreply 4012/12/2012

Labelng yourself as a woman director is very American. Having to align yourself with other females regardless of their skills is also American.

Watch the View or the Talk and ask yourself why any smart woman would want to align herself with such pablum.

Smart and talented women should step away from the rampant female mediocrity that is popular these days.

Step away and establish themselves as individuals and artists and try to erase Barbra Walters and Julie Chen from the public's memory bank.

by Anonymousreply 4112/12/2012

She has no talent, she has no looks, she has no style, she's a Hollywood hype like almost all of 'em.

by Anonymousreply 4212/12/2012

What about Jane Campion? She has certainly talent.

by Anonymousreply 4312/12/2012

by Anonymousreply 4412/12/2012

All these jealous bitches, Bigelow was able to just win an Oscar is quite possibly getting ready to take another one home. Don't hate just because you couldn't make it in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 4512/12/2012

Good point, R41, although there is plenty of male mediocrity as well. I think it would be more telling if she put qualified women on her crews. I hope the statement about her not liking to work with women is false.

by Anonymousreply 4612/12/2012

R20 nailed it!!

There is nothing special about this broad at all and the "doesn't like to work with women" shtick and the subject matter of her movies just screams daddy issues and desperate for male approval. She is also incredibly vapid what with all the plastic surgery she has had...she looks 40 not early 60s. Guess she had fun spending Cameron's money.

by Anonymousreply 4712/12/2012

She's hot for her age no one can deny that. I'm bi-curious , much younger and would fuck the shit out of her if she wanted.Another thing is that she directed the worst piece of shit in the modern film/post studio era called Blue Steel. Bad script,bad acting and even worse directing it makes Plan 9 from Outer Space look like Gone With The Wind in comparison. I remember talking about how bad the film was the day after I had seen it with a friend of mine. We were in a record store and this guy just heard me lambasting something and didn't hear specifically what I was talking about but asked just the same:" are you talking about Blue Steel by any chance?"

by Anonymousreply 4812/12/2012

The haters here are hilarious. You'd think they were talking about Kim Kardashian. She hasn't had plastic surgery. If you look at a HD photo of her face you can see she's 61. Also she's never said she didn't like working with females. Kathryn is not the type so you guys are shooting blanks.

As for her films, I honestly NEVER liked any of her films. There were some interesting homoerotic stuff in Near Dark and Point Break was a good action film but nothing more. I hated almost all of her other films including Blue Steel and Strange Days. With this said it's not difficult to see that she's growing as a filmmaker. I was surprised by how much I loved The Hurt Locker. It's lean and mean with not one ounce of fat to it. And with the stellar reviews ZDT is getting it's pretty safe to say that Bigelow, as an artist, is finally coming into her own, which as a fan of cinema is great to see/witness.

A lot of filmmakers made their best films late in their lives and with Kathryn Bigelow is seems to be the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 4912/12/2012

Fucking bitches, i asked you a question before. You are all full of yourselves with your critics and you can't answer the most simple of all questions about Bigelow. Which is your fucking favourite movie of hers?

by Anonymousreply 5012/12/2012

She doesn't build suspense well, she should watch Hitchcock. And she doesn't know how to draw the audience into the story, nor does she develop characters. Her films particularly her latest, are like sitting through a dry college lecture.

by Anonymousreply 5112/12/2012

[quote]Also she's never said she didn't like working with females.

Of course she never said it. She's not stupid. But she NEVER hires women in key positions (the only reason there was a woman editor on The Hurt Locker is because she is part of a wife/husband team and they insist on working together). Bigelow's attitude is well known in the business.

by Anonymousreply 5212/12/2012

Are you deaf people?

by Anonymousreply 5312/12/2012

I will never post for this thread again. People are impolite and deaf in here.

by Anonymousreply 5512/12/2012

Very disappointing if true r52.

by Anonymousreply 5612/12/2012

"Hey, baby, let's go to my place. I'll let you hold my Oscar."

by Anonymousreply 5712/12/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!