Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tis the season for office fraus and their control drama ...

We're collecting $20 each to give the interns a gift. You ARE in, aren't you.

Do'nt we want to chip $18 each (or $20 if that is "easier"), for Margaret (the old bitch operator who I wouldnt piss on if she were on fire) since it may be her last year with us.

Here is your secret santa name. Limit $20

We all should give our supervisor something, you know, he is "the best" boss. Everybody wishes they were in our division. If all 5 give $20 each, we can get him a cahsmere scarf.

Have you signed up for the covered dish Friday? Be sure and take a main dish AND one of the supplies like cups, napkins, plastic spoons.

We're going to do secret santa at the BBQ Hut down the block. Lunch will be $18 (plus tax and tip each) - can you pay in advance so we wont have to divide checks.

Does their passive aggressive control over every person's money have any boundaries???

by Anonymousreply 2712/11/2012

OP, may I add you to my Secret Santa list, and send you an Uzi?

by Anonymousreply 112/11/2012

The Christmas tree and decorations went up in reception this past Friday, and the alpha fraus were all gathered around clucking and talking over one another about exactly where each garland and ornament should be put on the tree, and where all the decorations should go. It took over two hours. Then they all went to lunch. I just shut my office door and wondered how long it would be until they got back to their desks and did some actual work.

I swear to god the only women in my office I actually like are the three lesbians. They get shit done, they don't bitch and moan about stupid shit and they're always up for going out to grab a few drinks after work and talk shit about everyone.

by Anonymousreply 212/11/2012

GOD, I'm sick of that shit. I work in a public school in the South, and everyone is expected to do all the above. Enough already.

by Anonymousreply 312/11/2012

$100 for holiday shit for work? I'd discuss it with my boss and say it's gone too far. Or human resources. Make it an anonymous complaint if you can.

Are they married? Are you single? Tell them it must be nice to have husbands to double their income so they can afford this kind of extravagance. If your state doesn't have same sex marriage tell them you'll donate when you, too, can have a spouse to help support you.

If you think you have to do these things to accomplish your job or make your working environment tolerable then donate and take it off your taxes as a business deduction - if you can. By the way was there some vote on how and what to spend this money on?

Make a nuisance of yourself - pester them about all the details of each expenditure, where are they shopping, pester them that decorations be different, that you insist other gifts are a better idea, that they go to another location for lunch (give the $18 and go eat like a pig). Make them sorry they ever involved you in the first place. Ask that they all bring toys or coats/clothes that you will be donating to a charity.

Surely you can figure out ways to make their lives just as miserable.

by Anonymousreply 512/11/2012

If seeing your boss doesn't work, go straight to HR to lodge a complaint. $100 extorted for holiday gifts is unreasonable and probably illegal.

by Anonymousreply 612/11/2012

I work in a very corporate environment thankfully. As not all celebrate Christmas, none celebrate it at work. That's fine with me, I prefer to work when I'm getting paid to work.

by Anonymousreply 912/11/2012

We have the same alpha bitches in our office, all admins. We had our Christmas party the other night at a local country club and they opened the party by repeatedly thanking EACH OTHER for each other's hard work at putting on such a wonderful party. After they finished congratulating each other, the SVP finally got to say a few words. By then all I cared about was the cash bar.

by Anonymousreply 1012/11/2012

Haha! I must have lucked out. The one typical office building I worked at was nothing like any of this. The closest I've come to experiencing it is hearing a Jewish working-mom colleague whine about her Passover weight gain, on one occasion.

by Anonymousreply 1112/11/2012

[quote] passive-aggressive ranting

What does that mean and how does it work?

by Anonymousreply 1212/11/2012

I have been out of work and freelancing for a long time. Never thought I'd miss this sort of enforced bonhomie frau nonsense but I do. It seems kinda sweet now that I look back on it.

For some of these people organizing events and socializing makes them feel valued. I know this is DL but try to see the positive in this.

by Anonymousreply 1312/11/2012

Just say NO, WTF is wrong with you?

Given all the threads about frau and cubefrau, I'm positive gay men have no backbone at all or they secretly thrive on the "frau" drama. OR the OP and his ilk are imagining this whole drama and have absolutely no life.

Go jack off or something, damn.

by Anonymousreply 1412/11/2012

Oh let them have their fun. I just don't give money. When they ask, I just give them a look and they move on. As long as they keep me out of it, I don't care if they're annoying.

by Anonymousreply 1512/11/2012

My co-director and I ended up taking the staff out to lunch where we paid, just to avoid this exact thing. We also outlawed gifts and everyone decorates their own space if they want. I feel bad because the small gifts were fun, but definitely not worth the bitching that came with them.

by Anonymousreply 1612/11/2012

R15 is male -- they don't badger males.

by Anonymousreply 1712/11/2012

R17, you are correct. Glad I'm a male if that means they don't badger me.

by Anonymousreply 1812/11/2012

After reading all this, I'm so grateful for my office.

My boss always has lunch catered every Friday in December and the one closest to Christmas is a "potluck" dessert buffet. Not everyone brings something, but it's always enough to get us through our end of year meeting. If we're short, she'll slip one of us some cash or her card and we'll go get something to be sure there's enough to go around.

We always get her something and she writes an individual thank you note to everyone on the team. There are 31 of us, so that's special in my book.

It sounds stupid, but it gives me a good feeling about the season and work, in particular.

by Anonymousreply 1912/11/2012

Yeah. The holidays are peak time for the women to be homing from work. I'm in a corporate environment but that doesn't seem to put much of a damper on it. This type of stuff seems to fall under the equal rights for women at the workplace jitters.

Grow a pair OP and just say no. I've never participated in this shit and never will. Like others I'm fortunate that I have an office and can just shut my door.

by Anonymousreply 2012/11/2012

I haven't worked in an office for years (thank God) but is there still a holiday United Way campaign? In my office all the department heads were supposed to be 'team leaders" but they all dumped the responsibility on their executive assistants. And woe to the team that finished up with the least amount of donations. And no, this was not an optional activity, it was a mandatory part of your assignment.

by Anonymousreply 2112/11/2012

R7, dont use a term you dont understand. At least look it up so you dont embarrass yourself. But, thanks for playing.

by Anonymousreply 2212/11/2012

Tell them you converted to Islam, so you won't be having anything to do with Christmas. Also tell them you will now need 3 extra ten minute breaks each work day to pray

by Anonymousreply 2312/11/2012

I would refuse on principle.

Christmas, birthdays and Halloween, are for children. I am not buying presents for adults in an office building.

by Anonymousreply 2412/11/2012

[quote]Given all the threads about frau and cubefrau

This would be a great sitcom: "The Fraufice."

by Anonymousreply 2512/11/2012

OP, go into great detail about your cat's health problems, and how you must budget your money due to high vet bills.

And I mean go into EVERY made-up detail, as in "this morning Mr. Bootsy vomited up his Meow-Mix so I'll have to substitute his brunch with egg-based canned food" and such. give daily updates.

Talk about the furballs, diarrhea and claw tags.

Tell them that you would LOVE to donate but "My cat is my baby" and that you would love to contribute some of your homemade meatloaf instead.

by Anonymousreply 2612/11/2012

One of the women on my team came to my desk and said, "I was thinking that we should really get Karen (our manager) a present for Christmas, but she said that she would not be comfortable getting gifts from us...but I really feel like I want to get her something. What do you think?" My reply, "Don't get her anything." How can people be so dumb about stuff? Yeah, you should deliberately do something that your manager has indicated would make them uncomfortable. Do it!

by Anonymousreply 2712/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.