Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

'Storage Wars' Fake? Dave Hester Lawsuit Alleges Reality Show Is Rigged

Former "Storage Wars" star Dave Hester is suing A&E and alleging that significant aspects of hit reality show are fake, Deadline reports.

According to the lawsuit obtained by Deadline, Hester claims that "Storage Wars" producers plant expensive items -- such as a BMW, or a newspaper announcing Elvis' death -- in storage lockers that its stars are supposed to be blindly bidding on.

“['Storage Wars'] regularly 'salts' the storage lockers that are the subject of the auctions portrayed on the Series with valuable or unusual items to add dramatic effect, even going so far as to stage entire storage units," the suit reads.

Hester claims that he was fired from the show for complaining about the shady practice, and is seeking $3.5 million in damages.

Dan Dotson, a representative of the show's auction company, refuted the allegations to TMZ, claiming that all storage units featured on the show are sealed before auction and are therefore not susceptible to tampering. "We only sell legitimate units on Storage Wars. Every unit goes through a 64-day legal process and no one has access to units prior to auction,” Dotson said.

Allegations of reality show hoaxes have plagued several shows in recent months. A contestant on HGTV's "House Hunters" alleged in June that the show wouldn't agree to feature her story until she had already closed on a home. She then had to pretend to tour several other houses that she wasn't actually considering.

Similar charges hung over TLC's "Breaking Amish," which purported to follow four Amish and Mennonite young adults who were leaving their closed communities for the first time to live in New York City. Reports surfaced that several cast-members had lied about their backstories, with allegations including that they had left their communities several years earlier, and that some had been previously married, divorced and had a child together. Towards the end of the series, cast members Rebecca and Abe revealed that they had a child together before filming began. However, it remains unclear as to whether or not "Breaking Amish" producers were aware of their history.

by Anonymousreply 6102/13/2013

They will settle out of court and admit no wrong doing and make him sign a confidentiality agreement. But he will collect some serious money. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 112/11/2012

I assume it's fake. 99.99% of storage units are filled with useless crap and yet they always manage to unearth great finds in each episode.

by Anonymousreply 212/11/2012

Wow! A faked reality show? Whooda thunkit?

by Anonymousreply 312/11/2012

The show "finds" are ridiculous. They find a ripped bicycle seat and say the value is $15. Bitch please!

by Anonymousreply 412/11/2012

Dave is an asshole...YUP!

by Anonymousreply 512/11/2012

The few times I saaw this show he was the one who seemed to do the best

by Anonymousreply 612/11/2012

You can tell that all the ridiculous aggression and fighting on that show is completely staged as well. Such bad acting too.

by Anonymousreply 712/11/2012

YUPPP Reality TV is entertainment. Obviously it's somewhat staged. So stupid is as stupid does. Viewer Beware

by Anonymousreply 801/07/2013

All the auction reality shows are fake. The rare, expensive items are planted. The producers of the shows "rent" these items and place them in the storage. Sometimes if the bidding is too low, they'll pay the other bidders to keep bidding higher and higher.

An insider working on SpikeTV's Auction Hunters said that after the purchases of the lockers, the staff would place these rare items for Allan and Ton to "discover." He also said that sometimes the location of the auction is off. they may not be in the city or the state they claim to be in.

by Anonymousreply 901/07/2013

I know this is petty but R4 hit upon a peeve of mine. I hate when the buyers throw out a price and at the end, the show quotes the sum as if that was what they truely made. There's no way of knowing the exact amount until they sell the items! American Pickers do this every show.

by Anonymousreply 1001/07/2013

All reality shows are fake to an extent, in that they are edited to push whatever narrative the producers want. But competition reality shows are not supposed to be fixed. They are very similar to game shows, and it'd be scandalous if a game show was fixed. Storage Wars isn't really a competition show, but it is top rated, and if the "prizes" are faked that should be exposed. It should be established as fact, instead of just shrugging it off as "they're all fake."

by Anonymousreply 1101/07/2013

YYYYYYUUUUUUPPPPPP. He's a big fat asshole anyway. I like this show, don't ask me why, but it does seem strange that just 4 people out of the dozen or so that are bidding will always win. How do they fix it so that only the stars of the show can win?

BTW, Brandi and Jarod aren't married, and he's done jail time for selling drugs.

There's another version on TruTV, called Storage Hunters, and those people are SUCH lowlives. I hate the husband and wife team who star.

by Anonymousreply 1201/07/2013

[quote]How do they fix it so that only the stars of the show can win?

Your question should be rephrased as "How do they fix it that only the ones the stars of the show bid on and win make it on to TV?"

And the answer would be "Duh."

by Anonymousreply 1301/07/2013

NOPE! They must do something or have some sort of understanding because very often the stars are bidding against each other, and I can't believe that they would do this for every locker.

by Anonymousreply 1401/07/2013

Rumor is it that Brandi was a stripper and Jarrod was the manager of her club when they met. Those two have never discussed their past, other than they met at work. On the one hand, it would make for a nice story. Both turned their lives around and have a nice little success story. But I can also see Brandi, being a mother of 2, wanting to bury that, too.

Hester has a track record of fraud. There are a number of complaints against his previous stores, Rags to Riches and Newport Consignment Gallery, on Yelp, and there are also fraud complaints against his auctions. After this is over his name will be mud.

Some year I want Barry Weiss to host the Oscars. Now that would make it worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 1501/07/2013

Dave Hester is a rattlesnake. Don't care what he thinks or says.

And yes I love Barry Weiss. Apparently, he's a retired multimillionaire who only came on as he is a friend of the producer and was bored.

He makes the show.

by Anonymousreply 1601/07/2013

Barry Weiss could be Bob Barker's younger brother

by Anonymousreply 1701/07/2013

How does this turd justify suing for $3.5 million?

by Anonymousreply 1801/07/2013

[quote]How do they fix it so that only the stars of the show can win?

As r13 said, they only air the bids of lockers the "stars" of the show won. As fake as it is (and anyone with half a brain knows this shit is FAKE FAKE FAKE) I'll have it on while doing work or something. And kill me now, but I'd totally do Dave and Brandon.

by Anonymousreply 1901/07/2013

I like Barry, Jarod and Brandy but that snake Hester and the bullying guy annoyed me. I haven't seen any new episodes in awhile, is that new guy who was always complaining the auctioneer favored the show's other stars still on? And does anyone else want to put a muzzle on that shrieking frau wife of his every time she feels the need to utter her sad catchphrase "Don't Forget to Pay the Lady!"???

by Anonymousreply 2001/07/2013

The NPR show "On The Media" did a segment on how fake "reality" shows are.

They had an anonymous guest who worked on an unnamed show. The guest said the shows are more fake than people realize. "Storage Wars" was the premier example. In addition to the placed items, he said the appraisers are rarely appraisers and more often friends of the producers.

On the pawn shows there is someone sitting below the counter feeding lines to the pawn guys and they reshoot scenes constantly to change the dialogue.

On one show they left out two family members because they didn't have anything interesting for them to do.

by Anonymousreply 2101/07/2013

I LOVE Laura. She's the little lady that says 'don't forget to pay the little lady.' Wish she got paid more to buy a better toupee for her husband! A few weeks ago he got into a fight and she jumped in and I thought he was gonna kill her. Interesting marriage they must have.

And I agree with the posters about Barry Weiss. He's like the coolest, very funny, always has a wise-ass remark but you can see that most of the people on the show really like him. I'd hit that. He is always very chummy with Brandi and Jarrod, sometimes with Darrell and he always kisses the little lady, Laura, when he wins a locker.

by Anonymousreply 2201/07/2013

Antiques Roadshow is not fake, is it?

by Anonymousreply 2301/07/2013

Oh dear God yes, R20. I can't stand Laura's constant "Whoooo! All right folks!"

One early episode featured Brandi making a joke about a drinking game every time Laura says "folks." I've noticed they don't repeat that episode very often.

Brandi must be a riot when she's drunk, which from the show's inference, is often.

by Anonymousreply 2401/07/2013

I like to imagine Jarod has unloaded in Darrell Sheets hunky sons mouth a few times. It makes watching the show more fun.

by Anonymousreply 2501/07/2013

You mean TV isn't real?!?!

by Anonymousreply 2601/07/2013

I hate that A&E plays this show constantly. Its like the only thing they ever air.

by Anonymousreply 2701/07/2013

I think stations like A&E and TLC should be forced to change its name.

How does Honey BooBoo fit into a line up one would expect from something called The Learning Channel.

Is Duck Dynasty really considered Arts or Entertainment? Maybe entertainment but not by patrons of the arts.

The Biography Channel should be renamed celerity ghost stories and infamous criminals.

by Anonymousreply 2801/07/2013

r27, I agree, except lately it's been Duck Dynasty in loop mode.

Willie is hot as fuck, though.

The only thing I like on that network now is The First 48. They don't have nearly enough of that on, but it doesn't pull in the ratings.

Then again maybe I'm just a cunty (junior) eldergay, because I still mourn the days when A&E and especially Bravo had quality arts programming.

by Anonymousreply 2901/07/2013

TLC was founded and owned by gov't, specifically the Department of Health, Education and Welfare and NASA. I remember its early years. It really was The Learning Channel, albeit quite dull. Then it was sold to Discovery and the rest is trash history.

by Anonymousreply 3001/07/2013

"Antiques Roadshow is not fake, is it?"

Yes it is. Two friends of mine were approached by producers before they came to our town. One was asked to help them round up camera ready people and match them with interesting items to bring to the show and the other was asked to do appraisals for members of the public who were never going to be on TV. They were both told that if the show depended only on the public to provide items there would be show after show about old Barbie dolls and costume jewelery that people thought was real.

by Anonymousreply 3101/08/2013

R29 is obviously a bear lover. :)

Ever seen the Robertson boys without beards? They are redneck Romneys, I tell you. And they all look better clean-shaven.

by Anonymousreply 3201/08/2013

I would eat Willie's furry hole until he screamed.

by Anonymousreply 3301/08/2013

[quote]One was asked to help them round up camera ready people

I would not describe the typical AR guest as "camera ready."

I can imagine they seek to locate interesting things, but I doubt they give them to actors.

by Anonymousreply 3401/08/2013

I doubt that Antiques roadshow is faked.

They had an incident early on where a guy brought in a sword that he said his parents found in the attic of an old house they bought in Virginia. It was rare and valuable. The story turned out to be crock and had been set up by the appraiser.

AR was forthcoming with the info and vowed to work to keep the appraisers honest.

The appraisers work for free and appear on the show for the PR value. Getting caught in a scam would would be counter productive to the value they get from higher fees for being a celebrity appraiser.

by Anonymousreply 3501/08/2013

So the Duck Dynasty guys beards are just some kind of gimmick? I'm guessing they aren't all that gay friendly Huh?

by Anonymousreply 3601/08/2013

You realize that Barry Weiss is a rap producer/mogul?

Def Jam Records, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 3701/08/2013

Different Barry Weiss, R36.

by Anonymousreply 3801/08/2013

Are you talking about the American AR or the original one, r31?

Honestly, I would not be surprised at the American one. I don't think the history is there to support quality, interesting finds over multiple seasons.

The British series makes more sense due to the length of UK history. Most families have a lot of history in their basements, and a lot of items really are found in garage sales (boot sales in the UK).

by Anonymousreply 3901/08/2013

No idea how gay-friendly the Robertsons are. This is suburban Louisiana we're talking about. On the one hand, Willie and his wife adopted a mixed race boy. You see him some times. He's very light.

On the other hand, Phil frequently preaches in Baptist churches, in full cammo, and he's pretty generous on the fire and brimstone. Look them up on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 4001/08/2013

Believe what you wish R35 but most television, including "Antiques Roadshow" is fake.There is no way enough people would stand in line for hours with exspensive antiques in their hands hoping to get a free appraisal when in most cities you can get one from an antiques appraiser for under a hundred dollars.Not enough people to keep that show on the air for this many years.

"I can imagine they seek to locate interesting things, but I doubt they give them to actors."

If they wanted actors they would have talked to a theatrical agent who had access to actors.Not my friend an antiques dealer who had access to knowledgeable people with interesting antiques to be on the show.

You people will do anything to keep the fantasy going.

by Anonymousreply 4101/09/2013

I believe r41. Almost all reality shows are faked in one way or another. Everyone knows by now that even House Hunter is fake. Auction Hunter is fake. Storage Hunter is fake. Pawn Stars is fake. Oddities is fake. I think all auction reality shows are fake.

People who make their living buying abandoned storages have commented how rare it is that they find anything of real value. Insiders have posted on that forum detailing some behind-the-scenes details.

by Anonymousreply 4201/09/2013

"There is no way enough people would stand in line for hours with exspensive antiques in their hands hoping to get a free appraisal when in most cities you can get one from an antiques appraiser for under a hundred dollars.Not enough people to keep that show on the air for this many years."

I think you are underestimating the "Oooh, I gets to be on the TV!" factor.

Also, concerning Storage Wars, I don't really think they do find a lot of valuable stuff. They find a lot of furniture and junk that the ones who own stores sell for a profit but the shows where anyone finds anything truly valuable, as in 'rare' or 'antique', are actually few and far between.

by Anonymousreply 4301/09/2013

I have no doubt Storage Wars is rigged, but I also think that people don't fully account for the editing process and shooting schedule.

r42, if they are making a living at it, then it must be profitable to some degree.

All reality TV is totally fake and scripted, but the writers are given producer credits to avoid unions and fly under the radar.

I still don't believe the UK AR is rigged, though, just heavily edited. I think they might do some legitimate pre-appraisals at local dealers to speed things up, too but I don't think it's out and out rigged like the US version.

by Anonymousreply 4401/09/2013

"I think you are underestimating the "Oooh, I gets to be on the TV!" factor."

I think you are underestimating the power of the internet, skype, Youtube, anyone can essentially be on TV any time they want. You seem to also be forgetting that the fact that most people don't even watch TV anymore, let alone some show about antiques on PBS. The "Oooh, I gets to be on the TV!" factor." is long gone for anyone that could actually afford to buy and or hang on to antiques. It takes hours of standing in line to get your item appraised at the tapings of that show, not one or two but six or seven, most people with jobs don't have that kind of free time. Out of all the quick appraisals they do for the general public they are lucky to get even few interesting items that might be good for the show, then you have to eliminate people that would, for whatever reason, not do well on camera. You would end up with a fifteen minute show.

Remember, it's only a TV show, it's Ok for it to be make believe. You can still like watching it. It's only there to entertain you, not to give meaning to your life.

by Anonymousreply 4501/09/2013

Do you think Bait Bus is fake?

by Anonymousreply 4601/09/2013

[quote]"Antiques Roadshow" is fake.There is no way enough people would stand in line for hours with exspensive antiques in their hands hoping to get a free appraisal

You don't just show up and stand in line dummy. They announce it months before on your local PBS station. If you want to go you have to have a ticket. In order to get a ticket you apply to your local PBS station which has a 'lottery' to assign tickets. I have done it twice and not won the ticket lottery so did not get in. They had thousands of requests for tickets that they could not fulfill according to the local news report on the show filmed in my current city. People with large objects submit a picture of the object and if they think it is worthwhile PBS contacts them to arrange to transport the large item to the taping.

by Anonymousreply 4701/09/2013

Antiques Roadshow is real. The appraiser that was mentioned in an earlier post did appraise the civil war sword that he already had knowledge of. PBS fired him and edited out every one of his prior appraisals. Years ago my father had several pieces of his mothers antique furniture appraised by the owner of the best antique store in the city. Funny, she tried like hell to buy most of the furniture a week later. Turns out she low balled the appraisal to buy the shit for a decent price. At least AR tries to get legit appraisers. Of course there is preference given to more interesting items. BTW, there are several appraisers that I would love to have some fun with.

by Anonymousreply 4801/09/2013

"They had thousands of requests for tickets that they could not fulfill according to the local news report on the show filmed in my current city"

And the "lucky few" hand over their tickets and wait in line, for hours.

"People with large objects submit a picture of the object and if they think it is worthwhile PBS contacts them to arrange to transport the large item to the taping."

Do you think that they don't interview the people before they haul a big object there? Dosen't that kind of fit in with the whole idea of the show being being planned out in advance, like scripted TV?

I am amazed at how tight you hold on to the fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 4901/09/2013

"Years ago my father had several pieces of his mothers antique furniture appraised by the owner of the best antique store in the city. Funny, she tried like hell to buy most of the furniture a week later."

This has nothing to do with the TV show but people should know that no appraiser should ever offer to buy the item they are looking at. If they do you need to fire them.

by Anonymousreply 5001/09/2013

Most antique stores do not appraise, but offer to purchase. Appraisers usually charge $250 for the first hour and $150 each hour afterwards with a minimum of two hours.

Usually, customers come in with bad photos and no intention of selling. They ask how much you would pay for their treasures. Seven years ago I'd pay 40%. Now, it's 25%. Then they try to get every bit of information out of you about the piece so they can throw it on Ebay.

R48, are you sure your dad wasn't trying to score a free appraisal?

by Anonymousreply 5101/09/2013

Does anyone watch the show oddities? Coyld someone make a thread about it

by Anonymousreply 5201/09/2013

I was on AR when it came to Boston in 2000. I had no idea that I would be picked to be on the show until the appraiser I was sent to called the producer over and discussed my piece (a bust by Harriet Frishmuth given to me by my grandmother). There was nothing scripted about it either. I was sent to the green room and waited with the rest of the people picked. When the time came, they set up the shot, told me to speak loudly and "Go!"

And as far as getting people to stand in line for hours, the place was packed.

by Anonymousreply 5301/09/2013

BREAKING!!!! REALITY SHOWS ARE NOT REAL!

by Anonymousreply 5401/09/2013

Some of you bitches aren't happy unless you're miserable

Antiques Road Show is not faked. I'm one of the lucky ones who attended and got my item appraised on the air. There is nothing fake going on.

[quote]Do you think that they don't interview the people before they haul a big object there? Dosen't that kind of fit in with the whole idea of the show being being planned out in advance, like scripted TV?

No, not a bit.

Crawl back under your rock now you sad thing.

by Anonymousreply 5501/09/2013

[quote]There is nothing fake going on.

For every one of you, there's 3 added for padding.

by Anonymousreply 5601/09/2013

When AR came to my city it worked exactly the way R47 described. You had to have a ticket to get in. You could not just show up and stand in line and get in without a ticket. Each ticket holder could bring 2 items but no more. The rules for large items were posted online.

by Anonymousreply 5701/09/2013

DC area recently had a lottery for tickets to AR.

I didn't get one. Was pissed. Boycotted the show for an episode. LOL.

Some things *are* real, people. Not sure why some people seem threatened by this.

by Anonymousreply 5801/09/2013

R45 is 12 years old and, sadly, already jaded.

by Anonymousreply 5901/10/2013

The show will be better with out dave hester I will watch it all the time with out him

by Anonymousreply 6002/13/2013

r56, are you referring to the American or UK version?

I still think the UK version isn't fixed, and I'm usually a cynical bastard. The UK has more history to supply the show.

by Anonymousreply 6102/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.